Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:28:14 PM EDT
My wife's retarded Golden decided that, hey, it's more fun to piss in front of DarkCharisma's office door and shit in obscure corners than be housebroken anymore.

She's 10 months old, spayed, and until this last week had 7+ months of being 100% housebroken.   We've been keeping them inside during the workday the last couple weeks since we seeded our yard and can't have foot traffic on the grass, but aside from that there's no real change in atmosphere or routine.  They're inside dogs.

She's acting out alone too; my mutt seems to be doing fine staying housebroken.

Is this a Golden Retriever thing?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the dog is acting out for some reason. Any major changes?

While your trying to fix the problem, this works great.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.natures-miracle.com/~/media/UPG/Natures%20Miracle/Products/Stain%20and%20Odor%20Removers/Original%20Stain%20and%20Odor/CSR372OriginalSO_FamilyShot_REV.ashx?w=600&h=600&bc=white
View Quote

Only major change is that they're inside more frequently since the grass has been planted.  They still go outside on their thrice-daily walks, and outside to hang out in the yard supervised, etc.

I've got some of that Nature's Miracle, but she's been experiencing the Miracle of My Kicking Foot(tm) a lot lately as treatment for her problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Separation anxiety or diabetes.  Had a cat that started marking (never had before) at 7yrs old, turned out he had sudden onset diabetes
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes dogs can relapse in their training, especially in that "teenage" phase between 9-18 months old. Also, if something is stressing it out.

Go back to square one of housetraining. Frequent, scheduled potty breaks, crate time when no one can directly observe her. No more running loose around the house.

Also, make sure you get a vet check on the off chance that there may be a medical problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Only major change is that they're inside more frequently since the grass has been planted.  They still go outside on their thrice-daily walks, and outside to hang out in the yard supervised, etc.

I've got some of that Nature's Miracle, but she's been experiencing the Miracle of My Kicking Foot(tm) a lot lately as treatment for her problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.natures-miracle.com/~/media/UPG/Natures%20Miracle/Products/Stain%20and%20Odor%20Removers/Original%20Stain%20and%20Odor/CSR372OriginalSO_FamilyShot_REV.ashx?w=600&h=600&bc=white

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You are kicking the young dog?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Anxiety, anger and health conditions can cause a dog to go in the house.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think kicking her is really the answer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
please find a good home for that dog
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen Dachshunds do this sort of thing out of spite.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Separation anxiety or diabetes.  Had a cat that started marking (never had before) at 7yrs old, turned out he had sudden onset diabetes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My cat started pissing in corners when I moved to a new apartment. Turned out to be non-infectious cystitis, fixed by urinary tract health treats.

But to the OP's issue, this:

Quoted:
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. That's certainly not going to help anything, and will quite probably make things worse.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Before you kick the dog again take her to the vet to make sure the problem is behavioral and not physical.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
First off less then 18 months old is too young to have a golden retriever fixed
second kicking any dog is not a way to treat them unless they are attacking you

third GRs are velcro dogs and you don't sound like a good fit for that dog
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about trying a Miracle of Rehoming Her to a Decent Home?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sometimes dogs can relapse in their training, especially in that "teenage" phase between 9-18 months old. Also, if something is stressing it out.

Go back to square one of housetraining. Frequent, scheduled potty breaks, crate time when no one can directly observe her. No more running loose around the house.

Also, make sure you get a vet check on the off chance that there may be a medical problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We just had a full blood panel done on her about a month ago and she came back healthy, but I could take her in again in case something changed.

Would being inside stress a dog out? All she does is eat fresh beef bones under an AC vent on a leather couch. Would spaying cause something like this, even though the symptom has shown up at least a month since she was fixed?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calm your collective tits.  If I catch her pissing, I smack her on the butt.  Both dogs are formally retriever trained with e-collars and the whole gamut.  They're well cared for, but are expected to respect the training and rules that they were taught. She's intelligent, but apparently has no problems deciding that peeing inside is more convenient than going to the door like she's supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We just had a full blood panel done on her about a month ago and she came back healthy, but I could take her in again in case something changed.

Would being inside stress a dog out? All she does is eat fresh beef bones under an AC vent on a leather couch. Would spaying cause something like this, even though the symptom has shown up at least a month since she was fixed?
Calm your collective tits.  If I catch her pissing, I smack her on the butt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calm your collective tits.  If I catch her pissing, I smack her on the butt.
smacking a GR is not a way to discipline them either, just changing your tone of voice is enough to make them have a major meltdown. plus dogs have no idea why you are yelling at them unless you catch them in the act and yes spraying her could have something to do with it.

but truthfully if you do anything thing more then scold her a golden is not a good fit for you. GR are lovers and adore their owners, having them unhappy with them breaks their hearts

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
yes. he started peeing all over the house. Kidney failure. I had to put him down less than a month later. Take your dog to the vet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, spaying can cause urinary incontinence.

And your reaction to that may have caused her to start hiding inside to defecate too.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
smacking a GR is not a way to discipline them either, just changing your tone of voice is enough to make them have a major meltdown. plus dogs have no idea why you are yelling at them unless you catch them in the act and yes spraying her could have something to do with it.

but truthfully if you do anything thing more then scold her a golden is not a good fit for you. GR are lovers and adore their owners, having them unhappy with them breaks their hearts  
View Quote

I understand how to discipline dogs, and I specifically said "if I catch her peeing I smack her butt," which implies that I do NOT discipline at all if I find evidence after it happens. I appreciate your unsolicited suggestions of getting rid of my wife's dog because you find anything beyond verbal discipline atrocious, but you're welcome to keep things that are irrelevant to the question in the OP to yourself.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And your reaction to that may have caused her to start hiding inside to defecate too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
yes. he started peeing all over the house. Kidney failure. I had to put him down less than a month later. Take your dog to the vet.

I've scheduled an appointment for her, I hadn't thought about kidney failure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Before you kick the dog again take her to the vet to make sure the problem is behavioral and not physical.
View Quote

This.

Dogs & cats will piss just about anywhere if they have a urinary tract/bladder issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My dogs are doing this shit because the GF brought home a stray cat.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#25]
hey don't get pissy with me, you are the one that said you hit her.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Naamah covered it all /endthread

dogs/cats generally speaking are simple
almost always a cause for the effect

something outside scare her?
does she not like going outside suddenly?
new neighborhood dog?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Goldens are the Florida of the canine world.  Poorly bred for FAR too many generations.  
View Quote

Hey, fuck you  lol

So not right .........
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally, I don't think it's wrong to discipline a dog, if caught in the act.

Don't care what anyone says.  They're intelligent enough to know they did something wrong.  Some dogs just need a little extra motivation not to do it again.

That being said, we're not talking about beating an animal.  A quick pop on the ass isn't going to hurt the dog, but it damn sure will get it's attention.

Regardless, something changed in your household.  Did you get a new pet?  Have you been giving the dog less attention?  She will act out of jealousy, boredom, anger, depression, anxiety, etc.  It's not that she...."forgot" her training, or reverted, something is causing her to do it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Goldens for have one of the highest rate of cancer and there are many careless breeders. but they are great family dogs because of their gentle spirit and loving disposition they don't respond well to physical discipline. I have always trained my GRs that I am their safe spot and my hand is where they can place their head without fear.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Dogs aren't people.  If you "discipline a dog" you need to do it in the manner it understands--grab it by the back of the neck, push it to the ground, and snarl in its face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't care what anyone says.  They're intelligent enough to know they did something wrong.  Some dogs just need a little extra motivation not to do it again.

That being said, we're not talking about beating an animal.  A quick pop on the ass isn't going to hurt the dog, but it damn sure will get it's attention.

Regardless, something changed in your household.  Did you get a new pet?  Have you been giving the dog less attention?  She will act out of jealousy, boredom, anger, depression, anxiety, etc.  It's not that she...."forgot" her training, or reverted, something is causing her to do it.

Dogs aren't people.  If you "discipline a dog" you need to do it in the manner it understands--grab it by the back of the neck, push it to the ground, and snarl in its face.
this works great with large pit bulls, give it a try

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do this first. Hard to train-out a medical condition.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody cares what you think is right or wrong.

There isn't a dog expert on the planet that teaches to punish for housetraining. You're some guy on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There isn't a dog expert on the planet that teaches to punish for housetraining. You're some guy on ARFcom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the same as you, so why should I care what you say?

Ohhhhhhh that burns!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I understand how to discipline dogs, and I specifically said "if I catch her peeing I smack her butt," which implies that I do NOT discipline at all if I find evidence after it happens. I appreciate your unsolicited suggestions of getting rid of my wife's dog because you find anything beyond verbal discipline atrocious, but you're welcome to keep things that are irrelevant to the question in the OP to yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps joking about kicking your dog as part of her training was misleading and inappropriate?
Let's let that go and figure out how we can help your dog.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#38]
spayed retrievers sometimes develop some incontinence.
talk to your vet about it; it can be treated.

does the dog actually squat normally and pee in the house, or does it leak out whne she's just lying around or sleeping?
if she's actually squatting normally it's probably a behavioral issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Ohhhhhhh that burns!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhhhhhh that burns!

Except for the fact that my point agrees with the overwhelming majority of experts in canine behavior and training, you make an excellent rebuttal.

By excellent I mean fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You're some guy on ARFcom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

overwhelming majority of experts in canine behavior and training

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My friends dog pisses or poops in the house when he is pissed at her, kind of his way of getting back at her. Sounds like you inside dog wants to become a permanent outside dog.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be kicking the guy that took her peeing and pooping lawn away after he trained her to use it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Calm your collective tits.  If I catch her pissing, I smack her on the butt.  Both dogs are formally retriever trained with e-collars and the whole gamut.  They're well cared for, but are expected to respect the training and rules that they were taught. She's intelligent, but apparently has no problems deciding that peeing inside is more convenient than going to the door like she's supposed to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you got involuntarily spayed, I bet you'd piss and moan around the house, too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So don't believe some guy on arfcom.  Go do some research and find out if he's right.  Or, just keep believing that opinions supported by facts are no more valid than those which aren't.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty much with every dog I have ever had in a house.  Generally, however, it was a sign that the end was near.  Dying dogs tend to loose some control.  Hopefully yours is just being vindictive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey! I'm some guy on Arfcom!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: I see you were most likely joking about the kicking but I still disapprove of the physical response but I understand that is how some people train their pets. Anyway, my guess would be that the schedule change and landscaping change has her out of sorts. She most likely just needs to be re-trained in the current schedule, 7 months isn't very mature so she will have some accidents. As for pissing in front of your office doors, just be glad it isn't on your pillow
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pretty much with every dog I have ever had in a house.  Generally, however, it was a sign that the end was near.  Dying dogs tend to loose some control.  Hopefully yours is just being vindictive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and my opinion jives with the overwhelming majority of dog experts, while yours is on the other end of the spectrum.

Do you not understand this conversation? Did your parents scold you for trying to think by rubbing your nose in shit?

Jesus fucking Christ, dude.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I had to retrain my Golden after I got the second one. Took two years and he still has to go outside 1/2 - 1 hour after eating. Can go 4 hours not after eating. Natures Miracle Original by the gallon.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top