BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He didn't save shit, he almost died himself.   More like "white man joins losing side, barely survives".

I know a lot of people have called the movie "dances with katanas" but it's a waaaaaay better movie than the Costner flick.
This review is shit.  The last samurai was NOT Cruise, it was Watanabe's character.  Anyone with half a brain would get that...  Cruise's character was the NARRATOR of the downfall of the Bushido system through the life and death of the samurai lord portrayed by Watanabe (who knocked it out of the damned park with his portrayal).

"I was insulted"... why?  You're BLACK, the samurai were JAPANESE.   People need to stop getting ass-hurt over shit that has nothing to do with them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

White savior movie but I still liked it. Just like dances with wolves.

He didn't save shit, he almost died himself.   More like "white man joins losing side, barely survives".

I know a lot of people have called the movie "dances with katanas" but it's a waaaaaay better movie than the Costner flick.

This review is shit.  The last samurai was NOT Cruise, it was Watanabe's character.  Anyone with half a brain would get that...  Cruise's character was the NARRATOR of the downfall of the Bushido system through the life and death of the samurai lord portrayed by Watanabe (who knocked it out of the damned park with his portrayal).

"I was insulted"... why?  You're BLACK, the samurai were JAPANESE.   People need to stop getting ass-hurt over shit that has nothing to do with them.

He's a comedian, it's part of an act.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

you need to read giving up the gunhere it is on amazon

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was a comedy segment on the Dave Chappelle Show.  That's comedian Paul Mooney, who was also a writer for Richard Prior.  It isn't an actual movie review.  Lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
White savior movie but I still liked it. Just like dances with wolves.
View Quote

This.  Hardly a new plot concept / trope, and - in fact - a very tired one.

Yet, it plays it straight, and plays it quite well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Strongly agree.

I can see why, for dramatic purposes, they wanted a survivor, but it stretched credulity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Strongly agree.

I can see why, for dramatic purposes, they wanted a survivor, but it stretched credulity.

Quoted:
It would have been better if Tom Cruise would have died, rather than being the lone survivor.  

There's also the whole matter of the Japanese actually being trained by the French and the Prussians, and the soldier than Cruise's character was based on was a French officer, Captain Jules Brunet.

A lot of historical fact takes a back seat for fucking hollywood.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
"What became of the 300 at Thermopylae?"

<smile> "Dead to the last man."

<smile>

I gotta see that movie again. It was awesome...

Watanabe and Sanada completely stole the show...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, creeping up my list of favorites.....in the top 25 for sure these days.   It took me a while to discover as well but will never say no to watching it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is also interesting in that you can look at the movie from the perspective of the Japanese common man casting off the chains of feudalism.
View Quote

Another reason why the film is so good.  It avoids ridiculous caricatures, and the motivations and emotions on all sides are quite believable, and pull you in.

"Dances with Wolves," on the other hand, would have been better as a parody of this type of story.  It was all cliche and caricature.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
It wasn't bad, I just could get over the fact that a midget white guy was the last samurai? Really?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Great movie. I watch it whenever its on. I should just buy the DVD. I'm into the genre and enjoy samurai movies.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It wasn't bad, I just could get over the fact that a midget white guy was the last samurai? Really?
View Quote

Please read Alex_F's post on the previous page.  Then, choke yourself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The point.

You missed it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]

That's an interesting observation.

It was the railroad baron, Omura, who sent the ninja attack. Free enterprise (of a sort) allowed him to become rich and be an actual threat to a whole warrior class.

Quoted:
It is also interesting in that you can look at the movie from the perspective of the Japanese common man casting off the chains of feudalism.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks mate!

Added to wish list.

Quoted:
Quoted:

you need to read giving up the gunhere it is on amazon

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#16]
WAS TOM CRUISE THE LAST SAMURAI?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This show reminded me of Shogun w/Richard Chamberlain
View Quote

I might have to go back and watch that.  When I first saw it I couldn't take it seriously past the first opening minutes when the shadow of the helicopter was in the shot on the ocean.  I understand editing wasn't what it is today, but someone should have framed the shot better.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Technically yes.  he was trained a s a samurai, given the armor of a samurai and his own sword.  And he outlived the others.  So yeah, he actually turned out to be the last samurai.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]

What a great line.

And it so beautifully illustrates what the samurai believed and cherished.

The depictions of their village life actually reminded me of the descriptions of Spartans in Gates of Fire.

Quoted:
"What became of the 300 at Thermopylae?"

<smile> "Dead to the last man."

<smile>

I gotta see that movie again. It was awesome...

Watanabe and Sanada completely stole the show...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was a comedy segment on the Dave Chappelle Show.  That's comedian Paul Mooney, who was also a writer for Richard Prior.  It isn't an actual movie review.  Lighten up Francis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, then he failed at his primary mission, which was to amuse and entertain me, didn't he there Francis?

FFS.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard it described as Cruise's character taking upon himself the "mantle" of samurai when he returned to the village to watch over the widows and their children.

However, he is also gaijin (foreigner/barbarian) and the narrator through which we view the life of the last true samurai, Katsumoto.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just watched for the first time last night. What a great film!

More sword fighting in that movie than anything else I've ever seen.

Highly recommend.

The theme that the Bushido culture was being over run and made obsolete by technology was very moving. As war fighters, their days were numbered.

The first battle where they broke the Emperor's new army through sheer fear was great.

I also liked the Thermopylae reference in the final battle.

Now I want a katana.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Shogun is a great series. I have watched it several times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might have to go back and watch that.  When I first saw it I couldn't take it seriously past the first opening minutes when the shadow of the helicopter was in the shot on the ocean.  I understand editing wasn't what it is today, but someone should have framed the shot better.  

It is an excellent miniseries, but it is a simply phenomenal book, one I read at least once a year. My all-time favorite.

If they made the book into a series and covered everything, it could easily go for 3-4 seasons...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, you really have a boner for Tom Cruise there internet tough guy

It was a joke.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you've got an itch for a samurai movie I'd check out some of Akira Kurosawa's films.
View Quote

well, an itch and 4 hours to kill.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is an excellent miniseries, but it is a simply phenomenal book, one I read at least once a year. My all-time favorite.

If they made the book into a series and covered everything, it could easily go for 3-4 seasons...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I only seen the show not the mini series. Sounds like I got some watching to catch up on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember one rendition where they took the 12-hour miniseries and compressed it into two hours.

Just....... Unreal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Do yourself a favor a do not watch it on TBS etc for the 1st time. Watch it uncut, they cut out just enough of the story that it makes a difference IMO if you havent seen the uncut original.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had a rough time believing that TC learned sword fighting in 6 months and cut the shit out of guys that have been doing it since birth.
View Quote

Musashi's first kill was a samurai, when he was 12 years old. The samurai had a sword, he had a stick. He smashed into the guy, knocked him down, and beat him to death with the stick. He went on to be perhaps the greatest samurai warrior, and was essentially self trained. That was cerca 1600, when a much better quality samurai existed then in the mid 1800s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The good guys won.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It would have been better if Tom Cruise would have died, rather than being the lone survivor.  
View Quote

Yeah, but he was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, then he failed at his primary mission, which was to amuse and entertain me, didn't he there Francis?

FFS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS.

Sense of humor...you should probably try to get one.

That and maybe the studio audience laughter should have tipped you off it wasn't an actual movie review.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Good movie. Love samurai monies or shows.

There were a few good samurai anime. Samurai champloo and samurai 7 come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

FFS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FFS.

I thought it was funny.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That and maybe the studio audience laughter should have tipped you off it wasn't an actual movie review.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FFS.

I guess the dude has to actually be dressed up as Negrodamus if he wants to keep peoples panties unbunched.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Best lines of the entire movie.  Great movie none the less

Algren: What else has she told you?
Katsumoto: That you have nightmares.
Algren: Every soldier has nightmares.
Katsumoto: Only one who is ashamed of what he has done.
Algren: You have no idea what I have done.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess the dude has to actually be dressed up as Negrodamus if he wants to keep peoples panties unbunched.  
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Great movie.

The rifles used in this movie were for sale awhile back - I still kick myself for not buying one.

Yep, here's the old link where AIM had them.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F0M187184&groupid=209
View Quote

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you've got an itch for a samurai movie I'd check out some of Akira Kurosawa's films.
View Quote

This.

Yojimbo and Sanjruo are epic.

Throne of Blood is my favorite Kurosawa period piece.

Not Kurosawa but "Hara Kiri" is also amazing.

Still, I liked Last Samurai. When the soldiers bowed at the end it got dusty.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS.

Oh, I have a sense of humor, a highly developed one.  I think that's the problem here, this dreck doesn't actually count as humor.
Nice personal attack though, thanks.

Finally, I didn't make it far enough into the guy's little rant to hear any canned laughter.  Sorry about your luck.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh, I have a sense of humor, a highly developed one.  I think that's the problem here, this dreck doesn't actually count as humor.
Nice personal attack though, thanks.

Finally, I didn't make it far enough into the guy's little rant to hear any canned laughter.  Sorry about your luck.

View Quote

So you didn't actually watch it to the punchline, but you know it wasn't funny.  Gotcha.

BTW, what personal attack?  Sensitive much?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I enjoyed this movie.
View Quote

I too enjoyed Dances with Japanese Wolves.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I recommend 13 Assassins instead.
View Quote

Excellent film also.

Not a TC fan but I thought Last Samurai was a good flick. If you get the chance watch "Making of LS" or Behind the scenes of LS .... was called something like that. Made the movie even more interesting.  The part after the battle where TC was holding the dying samurai took 3 days to film to get it right. The part where they were TC got his ass beat by the samurai with the bokken and it was raining was cool too. It started raining and TC wanted to keep filming to add texture to the scene.  Bunch of other cool facts in the show too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

FFS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS.

It failed because you were gullible enough to think it was real.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For all his goofiness, Tom Cruise does make entertaining movies.
View Quote

I feel the same way about Leonardo decaprio.  I really try to hate that fucker but I'll be damned if he isn't a really good actor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I feel the same way about Leonardo decaprio.  I really try to hate that fucker but I'll be damned if he isn't a really good actor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For all his goofiness, Tom Cruise does make entertaining movies.

Think his stuff is better because he is a darling of Scorsese?

I don't like him but his movies are generally good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shogun

Mine as well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top