User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the details man.  Im off to make a new craigslist friend or back to the boneyard with the mexicans......  Maybe I'll just drive my fucking truck now that I think about it.

View Quote

Your truck would benefit from them, too. No more weight in the bed, ability to corner at higher speeds without losing traction, shorter braking distances, etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were closer, I would sell you the set I use last winter for 1k miles. They are falken snow tires. Come get them for 200, lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Any snow tire is better than none.  No need to buy the super expensive ones.

As for the just putting them on the front, if you are any kind of driver you'll be able to deal with it unless you are also a balls-to-the-wall driver at all times.  Slow down around corners so the rear end doesn't slide around on you.  Don't push the traction limit on sweepers.  Understand your limitations.  I've been driving front WD for years on just the front having snow tires.  No problem unless you drive like an idiot or teenager.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nokian Tires or nothing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got any names on the more expensive/better ones?

Nokian Tires or nothing.

This
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
A little off topic but screw making a new thread... I have a new F150 4x4 with all-seasons. This will be my first winter with it (I'm in northern NJ, very hilly and I'm required to drive to work no matter the weather). Should I get winters or just keep the all-seasons?

FYI - I have 275/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A little off topic but screw making a new thread... I have a new F150 4x4 with all-seasons. This will be my first winter with it (I'm in northern NJ, very hilly and I'm required to drive to work no matter the weather). Should I get winters or just keep the all-seasons?

View Quote

Yes, unless you're absolutely broke. It's not that you need to, it's just that it makes winter driving 10x easier and more pleasurable. My answer to this question will always be "yes", unless you straight up can't afford them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As for the just putting them on the front, if you are any kind of driver you'll be able to deal with it unless you are also a balls-to-the-wall driver at all times.  Slow down around corners so the rear end doesn't slide around on you.  Don't push the traction limit on sweepers.  Understand your limitations.  I've been driving front WD for years on just the front having snow tires.  No problem unless you drive like an idiot or teenager.

View Quote
This little car has 200K on it with the original clutch and suspension.  There will be NO hot rodding of any kind.  Plus, I only drive about 8 miles each way to and from work and none of it is on the interstate.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, unless you're absolutely broke. It's not that you need to, it's just that it makes winter driving 10x easier and more pleasurable. My answer to this question will always be "yes", unless you straight up can't afford them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.... the biggest reason I run winters is to avoid the idiots who forget how to drive the minute it gets white and are riding on all-seasons....   it's like bumper cars, and I want to be the guy with the most traction.

There is no comparison between all-seasons and dedicated winters.  *Especially* on hills.... both up and down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This little car has 200K on it with the original clutch and suspension.  There will be NO hot rodding of any kind.  Plus, I only drive about 8 miles each way to and from work and none of it is on the interstate.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore him.  Seriously.  Sometimes, you have to drive like an idiot to avoid those who drive like idiots.  Go through the extra effort.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I only put snow tires on the front of my Accord and it handles just fine.  

If you're not hot rodding it, I think putting snow tires on all four is over rated.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was living in Iowa, I had a 2003 Mercury Marauder…rear wheel drive car.  Before the winter came, i was getting gas and saw an Iowa State Policemen and asked what they used, and he said Micheline Alpines.

I put a set of Micheline Alpines on my car, as well as 300 pounds of sandbags over the rear end, and never ever had a problem in the three Iowa winters I drove.

The Alpines were awesome tires…I was very happy with their performance.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question, on Trucks & SUV's are AT tire gtg?
View Quote

I have Cooper ST Maxx tires on my '94 Chevy K1500 in ND.  -30° and ice on every dirt (and most paved) roads and they did pretty well. As long as I didn't go drive like I was in a Dallas ice storm (hammer down ), I was g2g.

I will say I will get chains this year just in case, however.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have Cooper ST Maxx tires on my '94 Chevy K1500 in ND.  -30° and ice on every dirt (and most paved) roads and they did pretty well. As long as I didn't go drive like I was in a Dallas ice storm (hammer down ), I was g2g.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where I get mixed up. Chains would dig in right?  So why not use something like mud tires? All this time I took snow/ice like slick mud like surface.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you're not hot rodding it, I think putting snow tires on all four is over rated.  YMMV
View Quote

Please stop.  Opinions like this are completely ignorant showing no knowledge of vehicle dynamics.  Having grippy front winter tires with slippery rear tires is just asking for oversteer when going around a corner, stopping in a turn, or many other conditions when braking is required to slow down in ice or snowy conditions.  The back of the vehicle WILL whip around putting the vehicle in a spin going off the road or into opposing traffic.

Putting only two snow tires on is an incredibly foolish and dangerous thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Please stop.  Opinions like this are completely ignorant showing no knowledge of vehicle dynamics.  Having grippy front winter tires with slippery rear tires is just asking for oversteer when going around a corner, stopping in a turn, or many other conditions when braking is required to slow down in ice or snowy conditions.  The back of the vehicle WILL whip around putting the vehicle in a spin going off the road or into opposing traffic.

Putting only two snow tires on is an incredibly foolish and dangerous thing to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

If you want to know what its like to have winter tires only on the front, go give this little experiment a try...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

On loose snow, they work very well.  I have a F150 with Michelin LTX AT/2 on and they were awesome in all the snow we had in Michigan last winter.

However, like any other non winter compound tire, they are not good on hard pack snow or on ice.  Better than a highway tire, but still sub-par.  These Michelins were far better on hardpack snow and ice that BFG AT's I had a while ago.  The BFG's were just a bit better on dirt, not nearly as good in loose snow, and downright scary on ice and hardpack snow.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is where I get mixed up. Chains would dig in right?  So why not use something like mud tires? All this time I took snow/ice like slick mud like surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because in North Dakota, the snow is powder and turns to sheet ice when compressed and glazed by the sun when its below freezing. Then it stays that way.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This.

If you want to know what its like to have winter tires only on the front, go give this little experiment a try...

http://youtu.be/4TeRZQvPKvc

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Im not going to lie, that looks kind of fun. I get your point though, and appreciate you posting the vid for my consideration.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im not going to lie, that looks kind of fun. I get your point though, and appreciate you posting the vid for my consideration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Maybe I'm just a better driver  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
How does everyone store their winter tires in the summer?  Assuming you keep them on rims, do you just air them down?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought 4 Blizzak tires off Tirerack for the Subaru Outback. They are replacing a set I ran for the last two winters and all through this summer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How does everyone store their winter tires in the summer?  Assuming you keep them on rims, do you just air them down?
View Quote

I powerwash the wheel/tire and let it dry.  Then I slit a large lawn & leaf bag and wrap the tire completely and tape it sealed closed.  Then I stack them in a heated basement.

I do the same with track tires in the off-season.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't you just drive on all season tires? I haven't had any issues with those here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

I use ripped rubbers and the chick never gets preggers.  What now? Hmm?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

must be a plastic tray drifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srJjsbfmlDg
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nokian Tires or nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nokian Tires or nothing.

yup the reason is they are the inventors of the snow tires. and have a world speed record on ICE. although its not that southern ice that is apparently more slippery
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hankook 409

Take a look at these. You will be impressed. Awesome traction, low noise, they made the wife's van into a snow lover. At my dealership we sell these 2 to 1 over Blizzaks.
View Quote
We run those studded on a F250.

They are okay but wish they were a little bit more aggressive.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

yup the reason is they are the inventors of the snow tires. and have a world speed record on ICE. although its not that southern ice that is apparently more slippery
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nokian Tires or nothing.

God dammit, I never get tired of the southern ice jokes.  I cant wait for winter.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I used the winter force tires on our sprinter and my Mazda 3 last winter and I could get around in the 3 when a LOT of folks were sliding around and couldn't get up the hills. Very happy with them.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, and it makes all the difference in the world. It's night and day. When I have the summer compound tires on my Miata (RWD, pictured above) in the snow, I can literally put it in gear, let the clutch out, get out of the car and stand next to it watching the tires rotate. It's absolutely undrivable in this configuration, and skill has nothing to do with it. Even when the roads are bone dry, "all season" (should be called "No season") tires turn hard as a rock in freezing temps. Braking distances increase, the ability to safely perform evasive maneuvers in an emergency evaporates, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snow tires are all well and good, but does anyone make a tire that can handle Southern Ice™?

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Studded-Tires-355.jpeg

Quoted:

They are better than nothing, and will do pretty well in snow, but winter tires are not purely for the tread pattern. They are also made of a rubber compound that will stay soft in below freezing temperatures. Most Allseason and summer tires will become quite hard in sub-freezing temps.

no shit?  thats pretty interesting.

Yes, and it makes all the difference in the world. It's night and day. When I have the summer compound tires on my Miata (RWD, pictured above) in the snow, I can literally put it in gear, let the clutch out, get out of the car and stand next to it watching the tires rotate. It's absolutely undrivable in this configuration, and skill has nothing to do with it. Even when the roads are bone dry, "all season" (should be called "No season") tires turn hard as a rock in freezing temps. Braking distances increase, the ability to safely perform evasive maneuvers in an emergency evaporates, etc.  

That is why I just swerve back and forth to keep my tires hot like they do in NASCAR
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread is very timely.  I'm moving from a place where 1/2" shuts down everything (seriously) and is flat to a place that always gets snow and has hills.  Only thing I need to figure out now is where the hell to store two sets of tires in a little apartment
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top