Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2014 10:30:41 AM EDT
My wheels look like doody. My neighbor painted his and they look great. Anyone else do this? What did you use? Tips? TY
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not paint the entire wheel, and not just the rim?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My wheels look like doody. My neighbor painted his and they look great. Anyone else do this? What did you use? Tips? TY
View Quote

Just send them to Wheels America.

Cheap.

Decent quality.

Owner is a cool guy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen photos of people using PlastiDip on them.  Apparently you can peel it off later if you want to go back to the original color.

I have been thinking of how my car would look with black rims...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I painted the rims on my tractor red.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Two things I've done.  One, I painted the ancient stock wheels that came with my 95 chevy truck.  Like an aluminum color - looked good actually.  Then I heard of something pretty cool and tried it: painted them with black Plasti-dip.  It looked awesome and if you don't like it, you can peel it off.  Google it - it's a really popular thing and there are lots of tips about it.  I've since upgraded the rims, but the old ones looked pretty neat blackened.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Plasti-Dip FTW!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Plasi-Dip

TOOOO slow
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Plastidip. I use it on my summer wheels and winter wheels.

Not only does it look great, it's also easy to remove and adds a bit of protection from salt during the winter months.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Steel wheels, yes.  Scuff them down good, degrease with paint thinner, tape off tires (if mounted) and shoot with auto paint.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have the company truck wheels powder coated

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Painted the silver steel wheels on one of my Rangers black.
Used gloss Krylon.
Looked good. Only had the truck for a year after that so can't attest do durability.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep.  I've done a few sets; the secret is in prep work.  Here's how I do them:

With a lint-free rag, clean the wheel with alcohol until there is NO residue, road grime or tar. Remove original clear finish off with a coarse sanding block. Transition to a fine block.   Clean again with alcohol and a fresh rag to remove all dust.  Apply primer; I've had great luck with Rustoleum auto primer in the aerosol can.  Follow the directions on the label, deviating here will result in a bad finish.  I apply at least three coats of primer.  Once primed, lightly sand out any imperfections line runs, and re-treat any areas that didn't take to primer well. Then apply paint; I use Rustoleum auto paint in the aerosol can.  Use VERY light passes, you'll probably make 7-8 coats that are basically dustings each pass.    Let each coat sit for 15 min or so before applying more.  Once the last coat is on, let it cure overnight. In the morning, wipe clean with a rag and alcohol, then apply clear coat (again, I use the stuff in the can).

If you prepped it right, it will be pretty damned tough. I dragged mine through mud, brush, dirt, rocks, snow, etc. with no problems or touch-ups.

Avoid Krylon. It sucks ass.

before:

during:

right before final smoothing and clear-coat:

Done:

Spyder wheels got the same treatment:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Plasti-dip
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Fucking parrots
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I love plasti dip looking wheels.  I just don't trust myself at all to do it right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I like those, might have to paint mine on my truck.  Kinda change it up, but knowing what I drive through I figure they would be scratched up pretty damn quick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone that usee plasti-coat that can let us know how long it lasts or how well it holds up?

Can you easily touch up a spot later or do you need to remove PD and redo?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Dupli-Color wheel paint and satin clear.

Plasti Dip didn't exist when I did these.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I drive my SUV off road into and through rocks intentionally. I bought semi-gloss black rims for just that purpose.

I go through a can of black about every six months spraying the wheels, bumpers, sliders, and skid plates.
View Quote

Yep,  I have a black and white work truck. I painted the grill, and wheels with flat black paint. Didn't even need to sand, wiped them with acetone, let them dry, then coat them with 3 coats of spray paint.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup painted over the rust on my 88 GMC's rims with silver spray paint.  Looks fuckin' pimp.  I even got silver valve stems now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the Plasti Dip crowd. At least you can get an idea of how your vehicle will look if you decide to paint them.

I'll probably wind up doing mine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Plasti-dip is the worst shit ever.

Ever.

EVER.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have seen photos of people using PlastiDip on them.  Apparently you can peel it off later if you want to go back to the original color.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's a catch, a few actually. But mainly if you decide to spray you wheels with plastidip you must also understand that you are agreeing to clean your wheels once a week. If you let any brake dust sit on it for longer than a week then it's not coming off no matter what.

Ask me how I know.

Quoted:
Anyone that usee plasti-coat that can let us know how long it lasts or how well it holds up?
Read above for this.

Touch ups are very simple when done correctly.

The other catch is, people think it's just that easy. But it ain't, and if you believe those who argue that it is, well you're a fool too.

I've sprayed plenty of people's wheels and even a few whole cars with Plasti-Dip. Just don't. If you like your wheels then you'll have them powdercoated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
FFS it's wheels.  Not rims.  Saying rims is like saying clip.

Plastidip them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Plastidip them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There's a catch, a few actually. But mainly if you decide to spray you wheels with plastidip you must also understand that you are agreeing to clean your wheels once a week. If you let any brake dust sit on it for longer than a week then it's not coming off no matter what.

Ask me how I know.

The other catch is, people think it's just that easy. But it ain't, and if you believe those who argue that it is, well you're a fool too.

I've sprayed plenty of people's wheels and even a few whole cars with Plasti-Dip. Just don't. If you like your wheels then you'll have them powdercoated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Quoted:
Read above for this.

Ok, Ill bite.

Why wont brake dust come off ...ever? You mean off of the plastic coating or off of the rim underneath. Im not sure what you mean.

WHy isn't it as easy as the youtube video's with 20 year old redoing their rims make it look like it is?

I have 6 year old dull aluminum rims on a truck. They started looking horrible right after I bought them but I was too lazy to return them. They are now pitted and have lots of brake mess on them.

I was going to take wire brush wheel and put on grinder and goto town with them. I couldn't decide to paint matte black or plastic coat.

Powder coating is way too expensive in my area they want the same price to PC as buying a new set of rims.

Why wont PD be easy and why am I fool to think so?

I would love to have the knowledge dropped on me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Do it right and have them powder coated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Short and sweet: the amount of time, skill and money involved is directly proportionate to the quality of the final product.

Plasti-dip's name alone should allude to it's shittiness, and the concept that you can REMOVE IT WITH YOUR FINGERS should be a warning sign.   I've got a fair amount of experience with PD, and I can never make it turn out as good as a cheap rattle-can job with primer, paint, clear and some sanding blocks.     If you're serious about having a good finish, get them powdercoated or professionally sprayed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plastidip them.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/698/489/2f7.png

Care to elaborate?  I've used plastidip on several vehicles wheels, if you clean the wheels and follow the instructions it will last an entire Ohio winter.  I've seen paint come off quicker than that.  It also stands up to rock chips better.

Oh and the rim is at best, the edge of the wheel.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Plasti Dip mine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]
has anyone mentioned pastidip?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I have painted many a rim. Strip them of rust and paint with a wire cup on a grinder or sand blast them. Hit them with some primer and then paint.

A wheel is a Tire and a Rim.

I never paint the wheel. As I think tires with paint on the look like shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ok, Ill bite.

Why wont brake dust come off ...ever? You mean off of the plastic coating or off of the rim underneath. Im not sure what you mean.

WHy isn't it as easy as the youtube video's with 20 year old redoing their rims make it look like it is?

I have 6 year old dull aluminum rims on a truck. They started looking horrible right after I bought them but I was too lazy to return them. They are now pitted and have lots of brake mess on them.

I was going to take wire brush wheel and put on grinder and goto town with them. I couldn't decide to paint matte black or plastic coat.

Powder coating is way too expensive in my area they want the same price to PC as buying a new set of rims.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Quoted:
Read above for this.

Ok, Ill bite.

Sure.
The brake dust LOVES to attach itself to the Plasti-Dip coating. You can get wheel cleaner and use that to clean it and it won't really harm the Plasti-Dip, but it also won't remove all the brake dust and eventually your wheels will be looking quite dull
It DEFINITELY CAN peel off on it own, and there's plenty who will say it won't. They're wrong.
Peeling it off CAN be easy, under certain circumstances. You must layer it on thick enough but not extremely thick and it has to be consistent in thickness.
It'll take at least one can per wheel, and by wheel I mean wheel, not tire.
It MUST be applied in a certain way and you MUST be careful doing so as to keep a consistent thickness throughout.

About removal, since I've had to explain this to countless numbers of people:
In the videos you see people are mostly applying it and removing it from new wheels.
This means that their wheels are not porous in any way shape or form. Therefore the plastidip is adhering to a smooth surface.
Basically if you want to remove it like they do in the videos then you have to keep a consistent thickness, have a very smooth surface, and it must be applied in the right temperature range or it won't adhere correctly.
All of this is easier said than done.

It's rice. You're better off prepping your wheels correctly and applying spray paint and clearcoat.

Obviously you can take my advice, or not. If you don't then you'll learn the hard way and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people learn best that way.

Like I said, I've done so much work with the stuff. I will use it for small things, but never again will I use it for a car or wheels etc..

Quoted:
A wheel is a Tire and a Rim.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Black rims are so, 2010

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Painted wheels are so 2013.

This is 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeA8ppZwlo

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Black rims are so, 2010
View Quote

Well shit I guess I'm a trendsetter.  I had a black K5 Blazer in high school in '91 and I painted my wheels black.

-p.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't forget the LED air valves for maximum dopeness.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't forget the LED air valves for maximum dopeness.

View Quote

So much dope
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I took the wheels off, placed construction paper in an overlapping petal formation between the rim and the tire, sprayed on the coating, removed paper after an hour, and remounted.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

plasti dip
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Plasti dip is great. You can spend 10 bucks and see if you like it. If not, peel it off. If you do, peel it off and paint them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plasti Dip.  Jeep owners plasti dip their wheels all the time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

My daughter did it. I'll ask her and get back to you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Plasti dip is great. You can spend 10 bucks and see if you like it. If not, peel it off. If you do, peel it off and paint them.
View Quote

My daughter Plasti Dipped her whole car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did my Tundra wheels with Plasti dip. It held up for a solid year before it started losing its grip from all the road grime and chemicals.

3 wheels are still covered but a car wash peeled off the 3rd wheels coat.

I tried it out to see if I liked the look.

I will probably just powder coat them black when I clean them up again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top