User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It might not be possible.

People who are successful in using firearms to defend themselves against bear, are probably outdoors in bear country a lot, and are probably profecient with firearms.

They are also probably unlikely to file reports if they don't have to.  And in some cases, they may be worried about legal hassles by unserving and unreasonable government employees.

Some tourist with nothing but an empty can of pepper spray is going to be on the cell phone or otherwise looking for armed government employees after a bear attack.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took the USGS firearms training for bear protection.  The instructors considered the OC spray to be human marinade. They also cited the small problem of being UPWIND when deploying said bear spray.  "Excuse me Mr. .. pardon me Mrs. Bear.  Stay put while I move upwind"

I carried a 12 ga.  Rem. 870 with slugs

They did not have any .44 mag revolvers without front sights.
Yet how many bears had they sprayed or shot? Pepper spray has a good track record of stopping bear attacks.  

I've never sprayed a bear, I shot some raccoons with pepper spray and didn't have a problem with spray until I walked into it. However I was also using regular personal pepper spray, not the big bear canister.

These studies don't mean shit.  I know a few dozen people who have used weapons and/or spray at one time or another, myself included.   None of them were reported.   Statistics don't mean anything.
Please, compile this data for us and present your results here.

People who are successful in using firearms to defend themselves against bear, are probably outdoors in bear country a lot, and are probably profecient with firearms.

They are also probably unlikely to file reports if they don't have to.  And in some cases, they may be worried about legal hassles by unserving and unreasonable government employees.

Some tourist with nothing but an empty can of pepper spray is going to be on the cell phone or otherwise looking for armed government employees after a bear attack.

Dude shooting a bear up here when you are not legally hunting it , yeah that can get you in some trouble... like lose your car, plane and hiking boots trouble. law allows people who poach to have anything of value used in the endeavor to be seized(think drug laws). So you walked in, shoes & socks, it was cold, coat. you carried your food in a pack, pack. you used reloaded bullets, reloading press. plus you will lose you Alaska PFD check(the 1800 ish check we get every October) Fish and Game doesn't screw around up here but by and large people don't have issues with them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Some years back on this site we had a thread on bear attacks, and one guy in the thread had been attacked and a firearm saved his life. He studied up on bear attacks and had a web sight with considerable info.

He actually felt a .44 mag was as good or better then a larger handgun. His take was that the .44 was more then sufficient to penetrated the skull if you knew where to place the bullet (only instant stop is from a brain shot), and from the front the target is basically defined by the triangle of the nose and eyes.

He preferred a DA .44 like a 4" 29 over a bigger .454 or .50 SA. One of his observations was that while being mauled it is hard to do anything, and if he was using a defensive handgun he would want a simple "pull trigger" type of action that didn't require thumb cocking. IIRC, the bear blindsided while he was hunting, so the long arm was not immedietly useful.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
So you're telling me that if I'm fishing with my wife and daughter and a bear attacks and I shoot it in self defense, I'm in trouble up there?? wtf. You call those guys good guys??
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All defence of life and property bear kills are investigated by ADFG. If you truly killed it in self defence, no problem. This debate is much like the concealed carry debate. The antis don't think you need a gun for self defence. Have you seen the recent suggestions that people use wasp spray to deter home invaders,muggers etc. I'm still waiting to see the studies that show bear spray is a better bear deterrent than a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Either, or, and, sometimes both.  <<shrugs>>
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If it is truly self defense of life or limb, you will be ok.

It will be investigated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you're telling me that if I'm fishing with my wife and daughter and a bear attacks and I shoot it in self defense, I'm in trouble up there?? wtf. You call those guys good guys??

It will be investigated.

What are they gonna do, interview the bears family?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never thought about it that way, lol

maybe the bear was playing with him because of the spray, not despite it ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My problem isn't spray vs firearm.  I have had two occasions to use bear spray against dogs in the neighborhood.  It worked both times.  And both times, I suffered the effects of the spray.  All it takes is a very light breeze to blow the fog back at you.  Now, if I could find bear spray that was deployed in a stream not a fog, I would carry it into bear country along with a gun.  Until then......

When I went to Canada last summer, there was a story about a biologist that was attacked by a bear.  The attack lasted 45 minutes he says.  He had spray and used it in short bursts until the can was empty.  He lived.  It almost sounded like the bear was playing with him despite the spray.

Never thought about it that way, lol

maybe the bear was playing with him because of the spray, not despite it ?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be investigated.

They're going to say he was just turning his life around.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It all kinda depends on what you're doing and where doesn't it?

If I'm backpacking down here, I don't think there's anything pound for pound as effective as spray. Pistol rounds are marginal on humans, how do you think they'll be on bears?  I'm not too psyched about carrying around 8 pounds of gun in a manner that's quick to deploy.

But maybe in a place like Alaska, with very large and active grizzly populations, you suck it up and take a long gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It will be investigated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

Yeah, but if you are in the middle of nowhere I imagine not reporting it would be the easy approach.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, but if you are in the middle of nowhere I imagine not reporting it would be the easy approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

The Wildlife Troopers have incredible reach. I wouldn't bet on them not finding out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Three-bears-and-one-tough-hiker-4847473.php

story about a woman who was stalked by black bears and ended up stabbing one on a popular through trail in the Adirondacks
View Quote

Its the menses, it attracts them
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

It's called due diligence. Its to make sure that poachers are not using self defense as an excuse to kill and harvest an animal out of season.  Most of the time in NYS if you have to shoot a nusiance animal the state takes it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

Up here, if you shoot one..you best have good pics showing the tracks, where you shot, where the bear was and any eye witness accounts and gps points so fish cops can go look at the scene..you are also required to salvage the fur and skull to turn in to them....

One spring  friends were out bear hunting and came across a sows den(she had cubs in it) right after Another hunter decided to crawl in to the den..he ended up coming out of the den with momma bear holding his head in her mouth...lucky for that guy his partner was an excellent shot..he shot momma off the guys head...he lived, fish cops did a big investigation..finally just let the guy go with no charges(I assume they decided the mauling his head took was enough punishment)..  Until you see a big bear up close, and see how fast and powerful they are you have no clue whats involved in protecting yourself from one..they are scary...I have both a 454 cassul and a g20 in 10mm...I carry the 10 most of the time in a alaskan chest holster..just feel better with 15 res of hard cast vas 5 penetrators....Oh and yes I have shot a few bears..have also stopped a few charges as well...I don't care how much gun you think is enough..when you are face to face with one..it aint enough...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took the USGS firearms training for bear protection.  The instructors considered the OC spray to be human marinade. They also cited the small problem of being UPWIND when deploying said bear spray.  "Excuse me Mr. .. pardon me Mrs. Bear.  Stay put while I move upwind"

I carried a 12 ga.  Rem. 870 with slugs

They did not have any .44 mag revolvers without front sights.
Yet how many bears had they sprayed or shot? Pepper spray has a good track record of stopping bear attacks.  

I've never sprayed a bear, I shot some raccoons with pepper spray and didn't have a problem with spray until I walked into it. However I was also using regular personal pepper spray, not the big bear canister.

These studies don't mean shit.  I know a few dozen people who have used weapons and/or spray at one time or another, myself included.   None of them were reported.   Statistics don't mean anything.
Please, compile this data for us and present your results here.

He claims to personally know them.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you like you're bear spray, you can keep you're bear spray but I like my gun and will keep my gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.adn.com/article/are-guns-more-effective-pepper-spray-alaska-bear-attack

2011 article by a former Alasaka Dept of Fish and Wildlife Biologist

-author is a former junior high .22 competitor, former Marine and owns firearms (ie doesn't sound like a gun hating libtard if you believe him)
-in 70 percent of maulings by bears in Alaska in the time period studied someone in the group was armed with a firearm-NOTE-study did not include bear encounters where the bear was shot to giblets before mauling anyone, so take that with a grain of salt
-in 92% of grizzly attacks and 90% of black bear attacks where pepper spray was used the pepper spray stopped the attack and in the other cases it looks like there were minor injuries and no deaths
-1983 test of firearms by forest service-did not involve actually shooting bears: 44 magnum handgun considered minimally effective, 357 and 45 (I assume 45acp) were inadequate. The newer 460 454 etc where not tested (obviously because they did not exist in 83). 458 Magnum with 510 grain was highest ranked in effectiveness for rifles, 375 H and H and 338 Win Mag also did well 30-06 220 grain considered marginelly effective. 12 gauge was deemed effective with slugs, but not with buckshot

I read up on all this years ago when my wife and I were going to western Canada and hiking in the rockies in areas heavily populated by bears. I wasn't crazy about not being able to carry a firearm but I think there is a lot of hullabaloo posted here claiming that bear spray is ineffective and not taking into account the difficulty most people have in getting a firearm ready and hitting a charging bear effectively with a firearm.

An interesting flip side to this is my wife did not give two shits about anything I told her and basically had said I should try to sneak a gun into Canada or try to, er, get one there. Everytime we saw a "bear warning sign" (and there seemed to be lots of warning signs about bears, fire, avalanches, and logging trucks that I expected to see a burnging, run away logging truck barrelling down on me driven by grizzlies) she would look at the bear spray I had (we should have had two or more, not sure why we only bought one-also you can rent it but we were not returning to the same location) and mutter "should have brought a gun"

If you like you're bear spray, you can keep you're bear spray but I like my gun and will keep my gun.

Your, not you're
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Three-bears-and-one-tough-hiker-4847473.php

story about a woman who was stalked by black bears and ended up stabbing one on a popular through trail in the Adirondacks

a large majority of all bear attacks ( both Brown/Grizz and especially Black) that have been investigated have shown that human females on the menstrual cycle were in the area of the attack. I remember being taught that specifically in my Ursine Biology Course before we started working on research. it was asked that all females in the classes refrain from going into the field at her time of the month.

we carried 870's for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

You saw what happened in Ferguson, you want to see what bears will do to a QT?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I honestly question the use of 12 gauge slugs.

Are there ANY African hunters that are hunting Cape Buffalo with a 12 gauge slug?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nonsense, there are many people in Alaska who will tell you a Glock in 9mm, 10mm or 45 is all you need in the woods

Its all about shot placement

With that BS being said, I carry a 12G with slugs

Are there ANY African hunters that are hunting Cape Buffalo with a 12 gauge slug?

in US forest service testing the 12 ga was the most intense firearm that all participants could handle in recoil and still have tremendous penetration. the .375 was the best round but many could not shoot it properly to score. the othe reasoning was the close range of probable shots.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Grizzlies are territorial; they attack because you're in their space.  Unless they're distracted by having plenty of food, they'll probably attack.  Bush pigs, black bears are he ones that are shy and head off when they detect people; unless they've learned they're a food source.
View Quote
"Bush pigs" are way ahead browns for killing and eating humans in NA for the last couple of decades.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nonsense, there are many people in Alaska who will tell you a Glock in 9mm, 10mm or 45 is all you need in the woods

This is very anecdotal, but I worked with a good amount of Kodiak helo pilots and their weapon of choice seemed to be the .45-70 "guide gun", with a couple choosing SBS's with slugs.  Most (1895s) were old custom guns from the conversations we had and not new Marlin production.

ETA: Almost forgot my point, which is:  The .45-70 seems to get thumbs up from experienced folks for defense against bears that couldn't fit through my front door, but seems to be generally poo poo'd as a lion gun in Africa.  Dangerous game weapons seem to be looked at very differently according to continent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Meanwhile, back in the west:

September 15, 2014

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dude shooting a bear up here when you are not legally hunting it , yeah that can get you in some trouble... like lose your car, plane and hiking boots trouble. law allows people who poach to have anything of value used in the endeavor to be seized(think drug laws). So you walked in, shoes & socks, it was cold, coat. you carried your food in a pack, pack. you used reloaded bullets, reloading press. plus you will lose you Alaska PFD check(the 1800 ish check we get every October) Fish and Game doesn't screw around up here but by and large people don't hav1e issues with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude shooting a bear up here when you are not legally hunting it , yeah that can get you in some trouble... like lose your car, plane and hiking boots trouble. law allows people who poach to have anything of value used in the endeavor to be seized(think drug laws). So you walked in, shoes & socks, it was cold, coat. you carried your food in a pack, pack. you used reloaded bullets, reloading press. plus you will lose you Alaska PFD check(the 1800 ish check we get every October) Fish and Game doesn't screw around up here but by and large people don't hav1e issues with them.
1.  Murder, drug running, and robbery are illegal.  But it still happens.

2.  I'm not advocating anything, just listing things that could happen.

3.  I'm not talking about Alaska exclusively.

4.  I can hardly understand anything you wrote after the first sentence.

5.  I figure the number of bear defense shootings is probably low in comparison to other accidents and crimes we are used to hearing about, so it wouldn't take many unreported shootings to skew the results.

6.  I'm not talking about people who are poaching.  I'm  talking about people who may be fishing or doing some other activity and shoot a bear in defense and then leave without thinking or knowing that they even have to report the shooting.

7.  I have never been to Alaska and I have never spoken with Alaskans in their natural habitat, so maybe you are correct that no one in Alaska has ever shot a bear and then just left.  But that doesn't mean somebody from New Jersey didn't shoot a bear and leave without telling anyone.

8.  The person I quoted shows to be in Alaska and claims to know a "few dozen" and "himself" included who have used a gun and/or spray in bear defense and not reported it.  He never said the bears were actually shot.

9.  Some people may not know if they killed a bear.  Or it ran off when it heard the slide rack.  (Joke, but you never know)

10.  I once hollered, "Wow, that is a bear"  and it ran off.  It was a black bear in Shenandoah NP, Virginia, so it doesn't have anything to do with brown bears.

11.  The video shows some fisherman who shot at a bear but didn't hit it and it stopped it's charge.  This is a defensive use that did not involve shooting the bear.  Spray would have never reached the bear.  Then again, the bear may have eventually turned around without the shot, but it turned around instantly after the shot.  Since the bear was not shot, but it did turn around, I think this shows that there could be defensive uses of firearms that aren't reported because many people probably don't think a discharge alone must be reported.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what you have to do.

The Grizzly attack of truth.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Upshot: Aimless can outrun Mrs. Aimless.

I've done some sailing and I've always wondered if one of these would be a good idea. Would the bear be curious, frightened or pissed off?

I saw a program on the Outdoor Channel once and the Alaskan DNR guy said they preferred 12 gauge / slugs.

and I'd opt for a mag extension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

............ Everytime we saw a "bear warning sign" (and there seemed to be lots of warning signs about bears, fire, avalanches, and logging trucks that I expected to see a burnging, run away logging truck barrelling down on me driven by grizzlies) she would look at the bear spray I had (we should have had two or more, not sure why we only bought one-also you can rent it but we were not returning to the same location) and mutter "should have brought a gun"  

Upshot: Aimless can outrun Mrs. Aimless.

I've done some sailing and I've always wondered if one of these would be a good idea. Would the bear be curious, frightened or pissed off?

I saw a program on the Outdoor Channel once and the Alaskan DNR guy said they preferred 12 gauge / slugs.

and I'd opt for a mag extension.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"Bush pigs" are way ahead browns for killing and eating humans in NA for the last couple of decades.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grizzlies are territorial; they attack because you're in their space.  Unless they're distracted by having plenty of food, they'll probably attack.  Bush pigs, black bears are he ones that are shy and head off when they detect people; unless they've learned they're a food source.
Black bears populate many of the lower 48 states and exist in far greater numbers than browns.

So you would need an attack per bear figure.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The couple folks that I know that use shotguns, alternate.  Buck-buck-slug.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12G Federal PB127RS 438 grain slug at 1600 FPS
45-70 Federal P4570T4 300 grain bullet at 1850 FPS
I'm not saying it's a great idea, but 45-70 is/was considered a Big 5 cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
<snip>
9.  Some people may not know if they killed a bear.  Or it ran off when it heard the slide rack.  (Joke, but you never know)
<snip>
View Quote

I know of some guides that at least used to shoot into the ground or a tree to make a loud noise to dissuade the bear from investigating more closely. The hunter who was on that trip said he didn't think an animal that big could disappear into the brush that fast.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I say, get both.

Especially if you are going with a partner.  Why leave yourself with only 1 tool?
View Quote

I can't believe it took that long to answer: Get Both.

What the fuck is happening to this place?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be investigated.

The bear community needs more programs
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#38]
In Rural AK most carry/use 270,308 and 30-06.

Very hard to find bear spray in Rural AK.

A few of the relatives working the fish weirs are given 12 gauge shotguns with slugs.

The feds/state make sure they have a class on bears and shooting.
A lot of problem bears get taken care of.SSS

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#39]
the safest thing to do when attacked by a violent bear is to throw a hobbled wild life biologist at them and run for your life
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top