BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got nothing to add but I want one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a 2009+ as you get the newer, better motor.  The M96 motor in the 06-08 Cayman and assorted other Porsches of that era may be the worst motor Porsche ever made.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a 2009+ as you get the newer, better motor.  The M96 motor in the 06-08 Cayman and assorted other Porsches of that era may be the worst motor Porsche ever made.
View Quote

As noted, the '06 or maybe '07 is in the price range for a cash purchase.

Later ones get well above that range.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't own one. I've driven one, and they drive nice.

I'll point you to a Porsche owner:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/avoidable-contact-the-watery-big-bang-the-32-step-power-steering-fluid-check-disposable-faux-ury/

In that article he talks about the procedure for checking the power steering fluid on his Boxster...and it's a ridiculous process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone here have one or has previously owned one?

If so, tell me about them.

About a month ago, a guy raced what was almost a stock Cayman S over at Barber and I got to looking at it.

When I went to get my Frontier from CarMax in Savannah, they had an '06 sitting on the showroom floor and it was immaculate.  Had about 44k on it with the 3.4 (which I suppose is the S engine) as opposed to the 2.9 and it has the 6 speed manual.  Has the Bose system and all the other Porsche goodies such as humongous brakes.

All the '06s I have been looking at are around low to upper mid '20s and I will pay cash if I get one.

Been Jonesing for one since I saw the one at Barber.  I gotta go back to Savannah on Wednesday and am gonna drive it if they still have it.

Yeah, I know, it's not a 911 but I prefer the setup on the Cayman with the midengine instead of the engine hanging out back.  Oh, I love 911s but I am really digging the Cayman.

So, for those who have actually owned one, currently own one, or perhaps work at a Porsche dealership, what do you think of the Cayman S?

I don't own one. I've driven one, and they drive nice.

I'll point you to a Porsche owner:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/avoidable-contact-the-watery-big-bang-the-32-step-power-steering-fluid-check-disposable-faux-ury/

In that article he talks about the procedure for checking the power steering fluid on his Boxster...and it's a ridiculous process.

My Boxster is about 15 minutes to even see the top of the engine. Have not seen a Cayman.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Larry,

The 98-04 Boxster is 986. The years right after are 987. The Cayman is a 987C in those years, a hardtop Boxster with a few more ponies.

Beware. Some years in this range have an IMS bearing that can and does fail, but the crankcase has to be taken in half to get to it, unlike earlier models where the IMS can be swapped using Mr. Raby's method and the bearing maker of your choice. He developed the method, not the bearing. From reading many of his posts, he is elitist and an engine Nazi. Lots of bickering there.

You DO want an S, because it's not just the engine, but it's the trans, suspension, and huge brake difference. The S models have way better braking.

My son and I just volunteered at the PCA DE days this weekend, and for me its GT3 or GTFO now, but I love driiving my Boxster. The spoiler makes the Cayman a much nicer looking car...

My Boxster is a Special Edition S. Great year and car. Same interior as the 911 of same year.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lease an enclosed storage spot for it.  Probably $100 a month or less.

Less expensive, keeps it out of the weather, and most gates are code controlled so you can get in any time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking at the same thing, but I can't make it work.  

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

I only have one parking spot, so I can only have one car.  That car has to able to be used for business purposes if I'm working locally, and I can't fit the equipment in it.  Even a Cheyenne is pushing it.  

I could try to get another parking spot, for $20k, but I can't justify having two cars when I barely use one.  

And even if I did get froggy about another spot, that's $20k I could be putting toward a bigger condo that comes with 2 spots.  

What is more torturous is that a penthouse unit just came available for way, way less than normal.  I'm $100k short of it being within striking distance.  

Less expensive, keeps it out of the weather, and most gates are code controlled so you can get in any time.

Or stop living under the Jack boot of the condo board.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My Boxster is about 15 minutes to even see the top of the engine. Have not seen a Cayman.

View Quote
It is a bit min faster. You do not have to mess with the convertible top to get out of the way. Just pop the hatch.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't do automatics at all.

As for the rest, it won't be a track car and I will go with what is available in an '06.  I will look for the things you listed.

I can, as you said, upgrade later.

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an 06 CS for 6 years.  Great car!  I even shipped it with me to Dubai.  I just recently replaced it with a 2012 Turbo Cab and sold the CS to a very nice Irish guy living in Muscat, Oman.  

While great out of the box, the Cayman can be improved with a few mods.  For an exhaust, I would look at the FVD Brombacher Sound Edition.  Awesome sound, but no drone.  Sounds far better than my turbo imho.  Couple it with an IPD Plenum, GT3 throttle body and FVD software and you will have some useful gains (though I never dynoed it).  

While not as fast in the straights as a 911 CS, the handling is better in the corners.  They are immense fun to drive hard, but also remarkably comfy on a long trip.  I did 16 hour journeys in mine.  It's actually one of the things people complain about on test drives.  They can feel a little soft and the tossable side doesn't come out until you hit the twisties, which is rarely permitted on a test drive.  

You can also do suspension upgrades or even the TPC turbo kit of course if you want to turn it into more of a track car. I didn't do that but I did add a 3rd radiator.  

Porsches vary a lot in options but the used price does not vary much.  I would look for PASM, Sports Chrono (though you can add this later), and if you can find it, the leather interior.  Also rain sensing wipers/auto dimming mirrors is useful. Sports seats are also very good.

If you like a good sound system, try not to get the non-upgradable Bose system.  The CRD-24 is dire, but you can rip it out.  Or get the exhaust and never bother with it.

Above all, if you are getting an 06 get the manual, not the tiptronic. Gen 2 had PDK as an option.

As for the rest, it won't be a track car and I will go with what is available in an '06.  I will look for the things you listed.

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

PASM is Porsche Adjustable Stability Management.  Basically, it is a set of adjustable and adaptive shocks (made by Bilstein).  You will have two settings - soft and firm.  It's one of those options that cost a fortune to add later and can't really be implemented as well after market (the button is integrated on the dash).  If you don't get it, be prepared to kick yourself afterwards as it's a bit of a no brainer.  New it was a $4000 option, but on the used market it's just a matter of looking for a car that has it.  

Sports Chono isn't so essential.  It gives you a sports button that remaps the throttle response - but it does not add more power.  It also adds a rather useless stopwatch on the dash - it's that big lump that sticks up that you may have seen.  However, for a few hundred you can buy an aftermarket throttle remap from companies like Softronic or FVD so if you don't have it just add that later.  

Tiptronic doesn't have a good reputation.  But PDK is a different matter.  That said, the manual is very nice.  If you get a manual, I'd recommend adding the factory short shifter kit.  It will cost about $1000 installed but it is well worth it.  

If you aren't going to track it, then don't believe people who say they are slow.  They get to illegal speeds very quickly and with so little fuss that velocity can really creep up with you.  Basically, once the feeling of being a bit frustrated leaves you, it means you are probably breaking the law.  

Good luck.  They are great cars and tremendous value thanks to depreciation.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
By the way also while I don't feel like getting into a fight, I think there is a lot of incorrect information floating around the web about the engine.  The engine to watch out for was in the Boxster that was current when the Cayman was first launched.  That engine was never in a Cayman.  When first launched, the Cayman engine was different (though obviously shared a lot of components with) the engine that was in the Boxster.  They redesigned the bearing that was an issue and the following year the Boxster got the redesigned engine.  

There are still a few reported IMS failures, but nothing like what the previous gen Boxster had and from what I have seen on the boards the number of instances have been very few.  I really never worried about it on my Cayman.  

However, there is a more significant issue with oil starvation and steering pump overheating.  Both are associated exclusively with heavy track usage and particularly repeated hard cornering.  Personally I tracked mine a bunch of times in one of the hottest climates in the world (Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina F1 track) and had no issues, but just be aware those are known issues.  If you do track the car and are worried, there are relatively cheap aftermarket fixes available.  

No 2006 is going to be bullet proof, but Porsches have a good reliability reputation for a reason.  They are over engineered.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't own one, but a local dealer has a base (non-S) and a gray Carrera that I drool over every time I drive by - good looking cars ..........

Cayman: www.euroimports.biz/2009_Porsche_Cayman_LOCK%20HAVEN_PA_229467389.veh

Carrera: www.euroimports.biz/2003_Porsche_911_LOCK%20HAVEN_PA_234312185.veh
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Great ride, Timco!  I'm a 911 guy but I would get a Cayman if I were going to track it.

As you will get from rennlist, the IMSB issue is overblown (no pun).  The estimates of failed bearings are in the low single digit percentages with the bulk being garage queens using factory recommended oil change intervals.  (For ANY car, especially a 996/997/986987 P-cars 3-5k mi. change intervals are a must.).

Get it, love it and drive the piss out of it--that's what they were designed for.  If all you do is admire it and lope down to 'Cars and Coffee' on Sat. mornings at 2000 rpms, you're asking for trouble.  I run mine up to 5k rpms plus every time I'm out.  (Got interstate on ramps?;) )

Have fun!

TC

P.S.--I will need a new clutch in 5k mi. or so.  At that time, I will replace the IMSB.  My mech considers it a wear item that should be replaced with the clutch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was looking at the same thing, but I can't make it work.  

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

I only have one parking spot, so I can only have one car.  That car has to able to be used for business purposes if I'm working locally, and I can't fit the equipment in it.  Even a Cheyenne is pushing it.  

I could try to get another parking spot, for $20k, but I can't justify having two cars when I barely use one.  

And even if I did get froggy about another spot, that's $20k I could be putting toward a bigger condo that comes with 2 spots.  

What is more torturous is that a penthouse unit just came available for way, way less than normal.  I'm $100k short of it being within striking distance.  

I like it, and the board has nothing to do with it.  The parking garage isn't magically going to get bigger.

I have 24 hour staff, security cameras everywhere, private pool, private gym, and a bunch of rich-as-hell neighbors.  Bentley, Ferrari, Maserati, Porsches, and a squadron of BMWs in the parking garage.

I worry about nothing here.  Absolutely nothing.

Yes, I wanted a Porsche, but the limitation is on my end.  I am short $100k on doing what I want to do.  That's nobody's problem but my own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great ride, Timco!  I'm a 911 guy but I would get a Cayman if I were going to track it.

As you will get from rennlist, the IMSB issue is overblown (no pun).  The estimates of failed bearings are in the low single digit percentages with the bulk being garage queens using factory recommended oil change intervals.  (For ANY car, especially a 996/997/986987 P-cars 3-5k mi. change intervals are a must.).

Get it, love it and drive the piss out of it--that's what they were designed for.  If all you do is admire it and lope down to 'Cars and Coffee' on Sat. mornings at 2000 rpms, you're asking for trouble.  I run mine up to 5k rpms plus every time I'm out.  (Got interstate on ramps?;) )

Have fun!

TC

P.S.--I will need a new clutch in 5k mi. or so.  At that time, I will replace the IMSB.  My mech considers it a wear item that should be replaced with the clutch.
View Quote

You too? 4-6K rpm is downright mean on these cars. I'm not advocating driving it like you stole it but Porsche's like to be 'pushed' from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Dad has a '09 Cayman, great car. No issues with it to date. It is a blast to drive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You too? 4-6K rpm is downright mean on these cars. I'm not advocating driving it like you stole it but Porsche's like to be 'pushed' from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

As I understand it, try to stay over 3k. Keep RPMs up. Every IMS failure thread says I was putting along at 25 mph at low RPM then crunch!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Very nice............someday I wouldnt mind having a Porsche myself. I was always partial to the 935 slant nose

Quoted:
Larry,

The 98-04 Boxster is 986. The years right after are 987. The Cayman is a 987C in those years, a hardtop Boxster with a few more ponies.

Beware. Some years in this range have an IMS bearing that can and does fail, but the crankcase has to be taken in half to get to it, unlike earlier models where the IMS can be swapped using Mr. Raby's method and the bearing maker of your choice. He developed the method, not the bearing. From reading many of his posts, he is elitist and an engine Nazi. Lots of bickering there.

You DO want an S, because it's not just the engine, but it's the trans, suspension, and huge brake difference. The S models have way better braking.

My son and I just volunteered at the PCA DE days this weekend, and for me its GT3 or GTFO now, but I love driiving my Boxster. The spoiler makes the Cayman a much nicer looking car...

My Boxster is a Special Edition S. Great year and car. Same interior as the 911 of same year.

<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4248_zpsad473c53.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4248_zpsad473c53.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4249_zpsd42de6d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4249_zpsd42de6d6.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4250_zps1804aa27.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4250_zps1804aa27.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4251_zps0809cc88.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4251_zps0809cc88.jpg</a>

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

This is why Porsche puts the rev counter smack in the middle of the dash.  The needle should be straight up or to the right side of the dial.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]
The Caymen GTS will definitely be in the running when I buy a new car in two years.

Carreras 4S would be ideal but 30K+ more.

I drove a buddies '12 Cayman S and it was pretty damn sweet.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bought a 2006 Cayman S when they came out. Mild mods; tune, ps pully, tubi exhaust.  Nuked the engine at VIR (some fun oiling issues with the gen 1 cars).  About 24k later, it had a 3.8 X51 and was a whole different beast.  Unfortunately I wanted more...sold the CS and while waiting for a GT3 I bought a Turbo.  Fast and beautiful but numb, very very numb.  Not to mention the 10 day jail trip for reckless driving (Virginia FTW).  Sold the Turbo, bought an Abarth, and do 90 percent of my track time on motorcycles now (Abarth is proof a slow car fast is tons of fun).

Long story short, the CS is an awesome car, handles and drives like a dream. If you track a gen 1 car, please make sure to research he oiling issues and check out the latest fixes.  Check out Planet-9 as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About a month ago, a guy raced what was almost a stock Cayman S over at Barber and I got to looking at it.

When I went to get my Frontier from CarMax in Savannah, they had an '06 sitting on the showroom floor and it was immaculate.  Had about 44k on it with the 3.4 (which I suppose is the S engine) as opposed to the 2.9 and it has the 6 speed manual.  Has the Bose system and all the other Porsche goodies such as humongous brakes.

All the '06s I have been looking at are around low to upper mid '20s and I will pay cash if I get one.

Been Jonesing for one since I saw the one at Barber.  I gotta go back to Savannah on Wednesday and am gonna drive it if they still have it.

Yeah, I know, it's not a 911 but I prefer the setup on the Cayman with the midengine instead of the engine hanging out back.  Oh, I love 911s but I am really digging the Cayman.

So, for those who have actually owned one, currently own one, or perhaps work at a Porsche dealership, what do you think of the Cayman S?

Bought a 2006 Cayman S when they came out. Mild mods; tune, ps pully, tubi exhaust.  Nuked the engine at VIR (some fun oiling issues with the gen 1 cars).  About 24k later, it had a 3.8 X51 and was a whole different beast.  Unfortunately I wanted more...sold the CS and while waiting for a GT3 I bought a Turbo.  Fast and beautiful but numb, very very numb.  Not to mention the 10 day jail trip for reckless driving (Virginia FTW).  Sold the Turbo, bought an Abarth, and do 90 percent of my track time on motorcycles now (Abarth is proof a slow car fast is tons of fun).

Long story short, the CS is an awesome car, handles and drives like a dream. If you track a gen 1 car, please make sure to research he oiling issues and check out the latest fixes.  Check out Planet-9 as well.

You're in Cali now?

/edit to add:

A good buddy of mine bought one in Guards Red (for the folks asking what color), and I've been eyeballing one myself for a point in the next 5 years once most of the kids are graduated and out of the house.

Having driven one, they're FUN and definitely will catch the eye...  I didn't know about the engine/grenade matrix, good to know, I'll be more careful in my purchase... in fact I think I'm going to forward some of this info dump to my buddy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

If you're not running your car at WOT a few times every time you take it out, you're doing yourself (and your car) a disservice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]
damn, there are some nice S caymans to be had under 30k
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you're not running your car at WOT a few times every time you take it out, you're doing yourself (and your car) a disservice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

I've met a number of new owners at PCA events that will never take it to the track.  A few months later I'll see them in the yellow group.  Regarding WOT...a brief, albeit fast, punch of the throttle to get an "underpass enhanced" exhaust note got me 10 days in jail in VA.  Once in a lifetime reminder to keep in on the track (and never step foot in VA again).
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

I can neither confirm or deny......
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

PASM is Porsche Adjustable Stability Management.  Basically, it is a set of adjustable and adaptive shocks (made by Bilstein).  You will have two settings - soft and firm.  It's one of those options that cost a fortune to add later and can't really be implemented as well after market (the button is integrated on the dash).  If you don't get it, be prepared to kick yourself afterwards as it's a bit of a no brainer.  New it was a $4000 option, but on the used market it's just a matter of looking for a car that has it.  

Sports Chono isn't so essential.  It gives you a sports button that remaps the throttle response - but it does not add more power.  It also adds a rather useless stopwatch on the dash - it's that big lump that sticks up that you may have seen.  However, for a few hundred you can buy an aftermarket throttle remap from companies like Softronic or FVD so if you don't have it just add that later.  

Tiptronic doesn't have a good reputation.  But PDK is a different matter.  That said, the manual is very nice.  If you get a manual, I'd recommend adding the factory short shifter kit.  It will cost about $1000 installed but it is well worth it.  

If you aren't going to track it, then don't believe people who say they are slow.  They get to illegal speeds very quickly and with so little fuss that velocity can really creep up with you.  Basically, once the feeling of being a bit frustrated leaves you, it means you are probably breaking the law.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an 06 CS for 6 years.  Great car!  I even shipped it with me to Dubai.  I just recently replaced it with a 2012 Turbo Cab and sold the CS to a very nice Irish guy living in Muscat, Oman.  

While great out of the box, the Cayman can be improved with a few mods.  For an exhaust, I would look at the FVD Brombacher Sound Edition.  Awesome sound, but no drone.  Sounds far better than my turbo imho.  Couple it with an IPD Plenum, GT3 throttle body and FVD software and you will have some useful gains (though I never dynoed it).  

While not as fast in the straights as a 911 CS, the handling is better in the corners.  They are immense fun to drive hard, but also remarkably comfy on a long trip.  I did 16 hour journeys in mine.  It's actually one of the things people complain about on test drives.  They can feel a little soft and the tossable side doesn't come out until you hit the twisties, which is rarely permitted on a test drive.  

You can also do suspension upgrades or even the TPC turbo kit of course if you want to turn it into more of a track car. I didn't do that but I did add a 3rd radiator.  

Porsches vary a lot in options but the used price does not vary much.  I would look for PASM, Sports Chrono (though you can add this later), and if you can find it, the leather interior.  Also rain sensing wipers/auto dimming mirrors is useful. Sports seats are also very good.

If you like a good sound system, try not to get the non-upgradable Bose system.  The CRD-24 is dire, but you can rip it out.  Or get the exhaust and never bother with it.

Above all, if you are getting an 06 get the manual, not the tiptronic. Gen 2 had PDK as an option.

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

There is one at a Porsche dealer that the Service Adviser tells me he has taken care of since day one, 33k on it.  Has the Sport Shifter and the Sports Chrono.

Didn't know to ask about the PASM but going to look at it Wednesday.  Also gonna look at one at CarMax in Savannah.  Roughly same price and mileage, same year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is one at a Porsche dealer that the Service Adviser tells me he has taken care of since day one, 33k on it.  Has the Sport Shifter and the Sports Chrono.

Didn't know to ask about the PASM but going to look at it Wednesday.  Also gonna look at one at CarMax in Savannah.  Roughly same price and mileage, same year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

Good luck. It's a hell of an addictive 'drug,' Porsche's that is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Larry,

<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4248_zpsad473c53.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4248_zpsad473c53.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4249_zpsd42de6d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4249_zpsd42de6d6.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4250_zps1804aa27.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4250_zps1804aa27.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s868.photobucket.com/user/Timcohydronics/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4251_zps0809cc88.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Timcohydronics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4251_zps0809cc88.jpg</a>

View Quote

I like the fixed wing on 987.  To me, that makes all the difference in how it looks.

Probably a bit more effective than the little pop up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
why no Boxster Larry ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have fun!

TC

View Quote

Got a couple of long S shaped on ramps near here that I like to have fun with in the RX7 Turbo II, so I know where they are.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#31]
The newest model year is pure sex...they really refined them aesthetically inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
why no Boxster Larry ?
View Quote

Don't really want to mess with the ragtop.

Also, everything I read indicates the Cayman is faster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The newest model year is pure sex...they really refined them aesthetically inside and out.
View Quote

Yep, but I have set a limit on how much to spend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#34]
What can y'all tell me from this photo insofar as what it has?  Is that the Chrono just above the radio?

The car:

This is one of two I will be looking at Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Yes, it has the chrono.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going to be a great car to buy in 5-10 years. I'll probably be old enough enough by then to accept the HP hit to have an almost perfect car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I found about the 1st 6:00 minutes interesting here

but you might know all this
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, why not consider a C6 corvette?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, why not consider a C6 corvette?

Because they are gay

Porsche >

Wow I'm agreeing with Larry?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#39]
How about a specialty auto 356?

http://www.specialtyauto.com/PORSCHE.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

Porsche automatic stability management.   It's like a talent management agency, for a lack of talent on the road.

Sports chrono is a lap clock, and a 30hp boost iirc
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

It has Sports Chrono, and the nicer 19" wheels.

However, it does not have PASM.  If it were me, I would pass. In my opinion it is a must have. Look for a little button with a picture of a shock absorber on it.  It would be next to the sports button on the bottom row of buttons near the gear shift.  However, this car does not have it.  

Check the classifieds on Planet9 (site is down today for maintenance but will be back).  It's a site that is mostly Cayman enthusiasts and they usually have Caymans being sold that are likely to be well cared for and well equipped.  That's the site where I found my Cayman, back when it was called Caymanclub.

Also, PCA allows prospective Porsche owners to access the classifieds in their magazine.  There are always a large selection of Caymans there and again, I think you are more likely to find well equipped and well maintained examples.  But you won't find a bargain there as they know exactly what they have.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Porsche automatic stability management.   It's like a talent management agency, for a lack of talent on the road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

Incorrect on both counts.  PASM adjusts the suspension shock absorber response time.  It has two modes - normal and sport. Normal is a bit more comfortable than stock, and sport is a bit firmer.  The system also actively responds to the road surface.  The effect is the car handles better than one with the stock "dumb" system.  Also the car is lowered by half an inch over stock but contra many of the early reports it does not actually go up and down.

You are thinking of PSM - Porsche Stability Management.   That's your "rescue me" stability management.  All Porsches have that as standard.  It can be turned off (or at least way, way down) and in Sports Chrono-equipped cars the PSM settings are dialed down when you press "sport" on the SC.  

Neither PASM nor SC does anything to change the power output.  There is no boost as the car is not a turbo.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

However, it does not have PASM.  If it were me, I would pass. In my opinion it is a must have. Look for a little button with a picture of a shock absorber on it.  It would be next to the sports button on the bottom row of buttons near the gear shift.  However, this car does not have it.  

Check the classifieds on Planet9 (site is down today for maintenance but will be back).  It's a site that is mostly Cayman enthusiasts and they usually have Caymans being sold that are likely to be well cared for and well equipped.  That's the site where I found my Cayman, back when it was called Caymanclub.

Also, PCA allows prospective Porsche owners to access the classifieds in their magazine.  There are always a large selection of Caymans there and again, I think you are more likely to find well equipped and well maintained examples.  But you won't find a bargain there as they know exactly what they have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I kinda like that I can get an extended warranty from a dealer.

Not so much from an individual.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised that you can get an extended warranty on an 06 but good if you can.

I'd still pass and wait for one with PASM.  The GTS is out, which means there will be Caymans hitting the market again soon.

If contra the best advice you do get a non-PASM car, don't get the 19" wheels.  The ride is pretty harsh.  18" will be a bit smoother.  17" will be even better but they look kind of undersized IMHO
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that not it on the lower right?

Another car shows "PSM OFF" right there and this one has the corresponding button but I can't quite make it out.

Is "PSM" not the same as "PASM"?

Just asking.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://b62b59aaa0f678c3e5d4-1d00548d107e5677b471490b1b43f6a5.r53.cf1.rackcdn.com//WP0AB29866U783720/dbe1f2b9a3d4b2d2a4fa8e6be63a18c5.jpg

Another car shows "PSM OFF" right there and this one has the corresponding button but I can't quite make it out.

Just asking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://b62b59aaa0f678c3e5d4-1d00548d107e5677b471490b1b43f6a5.r53.cf1.rackcdn.com//WP0AB29866U783720/dbe1f2b9a3d4b2d2a4fa8e6be63a18c5.jpg

Just asking.

No.  PSM is a type of traction control.  It applies the brakes and kills your engine RPM if you start to spin.  PASM is an adjustable shock absorber system.  PSM is standard, PASM is an option.

The button for PASM would be the second on the left, where the Sports button is on this car.  It would have a little picture of a shock absorber on it.  

Here it is on my old car:

L4805109 by mrsyettigoosecreature, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No.  PSM is a type of traction control.  It applies the brakes and kills your engine RPM if you start to spin.  PASM is an adjustable shock absorber system.  PSM is standard, PASM is an option.

The button for PASM would be the second on the left, where the Sports button is on this car.  It would have a little picture of a shock absorber on it.  

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/p512sP" target="_blank">https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15141476567_cdc5a3617f_b.jpg</a>L4805109 by mrsyettigoosecreature, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just asking.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/p512sP" target="_blank">https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15141476567_cdc5a3617f_b.jpg</a>L4805109 by mrsyettigoosecreature, on Flickr

I see it now.

This may have been answered, but what does the "Sport" button do?  Is that the Chrono?

I am sorry, all this info has me going in circles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I see it now.

This may have been answered, but what does the "Sport" button do?  Is that the Chrono?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just asking.

I see it now.

Yes, sport is the sport button part of the sports chrono.  It lets you toggle between the normal and sports modes.  The two things that change on a manual car are the throttle mapping (basically how the engine responds given the amount of push on the gas peddle) and the PSM stability management intervention threshold.  In sports mode it intervenes later.  

The stopclock on the dash is controlled by the lower left stalk by the wheel.  I don't know anyone who uses it.

On PASM cars, pressing sport also automatically sets PASM to sport.  But you can set both modes independently.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I see it now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just asking.

I see it now.

PASM has several settings including a sport+ or "beat me to shit" mode. its a worthwhile option, more so than sports Chrono IMO. PSM is on all Porsche's and is your nanny gate for taking over if you get too crazy.

Can't speak to Cayman's but most Porsche's I looked at when shopping were pretty well optioned out. I don't have sports chrono but don't really need/care for it but the one feature I love is the full leather, adds so much to the car IMO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Larry, if you move to Atlanta maybe we can go halfsies?  :-)  I've long been looking for a great deal on a used E60 M5 all while secretly lusting in my heart for a 350Z.  But then a couple of weeks ago I stumbled on to a couple of ads for Caymans on Craigslist.  I was very surprised what you could get an 06-08 Cayman S with 30k-40k miles for and how much car you got for the money after reading several reviews.  I'm just afraid my mid-life crisis will be officially cemented if I roll up in a Porsche one day soon.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top