Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 4:00:41 PM EDT
Let's say, hypothetically, that you're at a shoot with some friends, and an acquaintance that's doesn't know much about guns shows you a rifle and wants to know more about it. It's a .30-30 he got from his grandpa, and it hasn't seen the light of day in who knows how long.

You look at it, and you notice almost immediately that the SN is gone, and he has no idea about that even being a legal issue.

Legally, what would be his options?

Would the best option be to chop the receiver and sell it off as a parts kit?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
is the SN removed or you just cant find one?

look up when the date of when SNs on firearms were required. some old guns never had numbers to begin with...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

look up when the date of when SNs on firearms were required. some old guns never had numbers to begin with...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, serial numbers were not legally required.

If it had a serial number and was removed, or the gun made after 1968, you got troubles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let's say, hypothetically, that you're at a shoot with some friends, and an acquaintance that's doesn't know much about guns shows you a rifle and wants to know more about it. It's a .30-30 he got from his grandpa, and it hasn't seen the light of day in who knows how long.

You look at it, and you notice almost immediately that the SN is gone, and he has no idea about that even being a legal issue.

View Quote

.  Research the rifle before putting any more fear in to the owner. THEN if you do find it to be a questionable gun chop saw. BUT yank the stock, internals and what ever else could be sold as parts.
If not have him clean it up and shoot away.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Was it removed or was it just not there?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an inherited gun that experienced some rust damage to the side of the receiver. It looks like a rag with something caustic was left to sit on the gun. After trying to clean it up, the one letter was barely visible. I reblued the receiver with the hope that the letter would be more visible. I had the gun destroyed rather than deal with the potential drama.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Write a serial number on it with a Sharpie and give it back to him.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

First post nails it yet again.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had an inherited gun that experienced some rust damage to the side of the receiver. It looks like a rag with something caustic was left to sit on the gun. After trying to clean it up, the one letter was barely visible. I reblued the receiver with the hope that the letter would be more visible. I had the gun destroyed rather than deal with the potential drama.
View Quote

Really?

lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
there are ways to bring out markings stamped in metal...

figure it might be good info in this thread. Might be something to look into if you have a sentimental or valuable firearm that gets damaged.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If a new law in Washington state passes you will not be able to shoot his gun
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Lots of guns with no sn. Now if it was removed with a file or something that would be weird, but not the end all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me know where it is and I'll pick it up for.... disposal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]

It was there all along.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

figure it might be good info in this thread. Might be something to look into if you have a sentimental or valuable firearm that gets damaged.
View Quote
Yep wherever the metal was compacted when stamped it can be brought out again.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

lol

You realize it's a crime to have a gun where the serial number was removed right?

For some of us it's not worth the hassle
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How effective are these methods?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's what the ATF uses to find a ground serial number. It is along the lines of a magna flux type operation.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#19]
ATF can assign you a personal number on your older firearm that did not have one to begin with. I bought an old high standard j.c. Higgins shotgun at a pawnshop once with no serial number. It was made in 1954. I got tired of too many dumbasses asking me why it had no serial number. I sold it later on cause the barrel was too long and was a fixed full choke. There are ignorant people and not to be mean, but uneducated Law Enforcement who do not know all the laws about firearms.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You realize it's a crime to have a gun where the serial number was removed right?

View Quote

So it was intentionally removed...or just really hard to make out due to the firearms poor condition?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Acid etching would have most likely brought the number back out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So it was intentionally removed...or just really hard to make out due to the firearms poor condition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the purposes of this thread, let's assume that it was deliberately removed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup

some of the older lever guns did not have them...but Serial Numbers on guns can also be brought back to life by a competent smith or restorer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acid etch it back and call it a day....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are there any good tutorials or links for the appropriate solutions?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Write a serial number on it with a Sharpie and give it back to him.
View Quote

this, gtg
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought a 4 inch 45 ACP smooth bore handgun with no serial number made in 1943. Totally legal. Any guesses?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Weld it up remachine refinish. Now its a pre 68 whatsit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Legally, his best option is to speak with a competent attorney.  Grandpa's gun may never even have had a serial number, and a good attorney will contact then an expert and begin doing his job.

But your friend should definitely chop up the gun.  Then post pics.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are there any good tutorials or links for the appropriate solutions?
View Quote

Hypothetically, of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a .22 my grandpa gave me that doesn't have a serial number.  He got it from his dad when he was 7.  I'm not worried...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a .22 from a gun shop that did not have a serial number on it.  It might just be older than you think.  Lever action 30-30's have been around a long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just bought a 4 inch 45 ACP smooth bore handgun with no serial number made in 1943. Totally legal. Any guesses?
View Quote

You actually spent the money for a Liberator?  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I got it for 1250.00 Not a bad price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I seem to remember that there are a lot of specific rules about remarking a serial number. Dont think you can just wipe out a SN and remark it yourself but I dont know.

Quoted:
Weld it up remachine refinish. Now its a pre 68 whatsit.
View Quote

Are you saying weld it up and omit a serial number??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top