Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
salmonid,

Instead of acting like a little twit about all of this, why don't you pull up some 1G thrust for level flight envelopes for similarly configured F-4/14/15/16/18s MIL/MAX, and plot them all out on the same chart.  Bonus points for doing so at the same % fuel config, or some sort of normalization based on range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The context was explained as WVR 1 v 1 combat. But please, continue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And BTW I have seen the F/A-18 A+ handle a Viper like it was child's play!

Regards less of your emotions, the F/A-18's only A2A advantage (against the f-16) is electronic. His only hope WVR would be to get the fight slow and horizontal.

lol--that's a pretty fucking major advantage, since the whole point of air combat is not to get WVR in the first place.

but please continue.

The context was explained as WVR 1 v 1 combat. But please, continue.

so your argument boils down to...

"the f-18 is a turd because it is not optimized for the thing that fighter pilots are not supposed to do."

aside from the additional engineering classes that the experienced guys are suggesting, you should probably squeeze in summer courses in elementary logic and problem-centered analysis.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
salmon, I can go all night long like Lionel Fucking Richie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you have some real world experience with shit other then saying to a customer,
"Good Evening, tonight's specials are.........and what can I get you to drink and would you all care for some appetizers?"
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Read very carefully junior......

Just because mathematically something works or doesnt't work and is the correct equations on paper does not mean in a real world application that it will perform as the math equation says.

That is what these apples are all about!!!

Your proving your ineptitude of reading comprehension with every post. So that is why I didn't quote previous replies.

Mathematically a helicopter should not be able to leave the ground based on the varies equations to create lift and thrust and whatever else.
But holy fuck me in the goat ass helicopters lift off the ground and do cool shit.
Directional drilling with a bent motor requires specific trig equations to determine the amount of inclination(build/drop angle) and azimuth to hit our target.
I have been on many wells were my math said to slide 90 right for 6.8 feet and I would build 2 degrees and bring the hole back to the top right of the
target radius over 45 feet of pipe to be drilled. Holy fucking shit batman
I didn't build any angle and had to resort to triple the length of slide and built only 2 degrees over 96 feet.
So college boy, hope that helps you understand your not some genius just because you read something in some bullshit book by some bullshit author who
has no real world experience and sits behind a desk their whole lives.
View Quote

I'm just quoting this so you can't delete it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

Eta: low

Eta: When I said, "...break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight" I meant, given a normal combat armament and fuel.
View Quote

I dont think many fighters can break the sound barrier while carrying a full payload.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In his defense maintenance hours to flight hours were high towards the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.

You sir are full of shit.  We flew F-14's from the boat while underway from morning till late at night, day in day out.  Launch,  recover,  refuel,  ect.  Where do you get your data from?  I was there.  You?

In his defense maintenance hours to flight hours were high towards the end.

Incidentally, we have a Navy pilot in our troop, now. I was just getting to know him over the campout this weekend. Super interesting and intelligent man. He flew EA-6B electronic warfare aircraft during the first Gulf War. We briefly broached the subject of the F14 and he said it had its issues. Was more difficult than average to fly. Higher ratio of maintenance to flight hours. But....it does its job well.

OP The Hornet is awesome at what it does. You gonna shit on the warthog because it can't go fast? It does what it's supposed to and does it very well.

AFAIK, the FA18 is not intended to be a dog fighter.

You wouldn't take a sniper rifle into CQB. You wouldn't take an MP5 on a sniper or LRRP mission.

Lack of logic and reason in the OP is extreme.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This statement is pure retardation; but if I'm not picking up on sarcasm and you're just trolling OP, carry on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because mathematically something works or doesnt't work and is the correct equations on paper does not mean in a real world application that it will perform as the math equation says.

Your proving your ineptitude of reading comprehension with every post. So that is why I didn't quote previous replies.

Mathematically a helicopter should not be able to leave the ground based on the varies equations to create lift and thrust and whatever else.
But holy fuck me in the goat ass helicopters lift off the ground and do cool shit.
Directional drilling with a bent motor requires specific trig equations to determine the amount of inclination(build/drop angle) and azimuth to hit our target.
I have been on many wells were my math said to slide 90 right for 6.8 feet and I would buil 2 degrees over 45 feet. Holy fucking shit batman
I didn't build any angle and had to resort to triple the length of slide and built only 2 degrees over 96 feet.

So college boy, hope that helps you understand your not some genius just because you read something in some bullshit book by some bullshit author who

This statement is pure retardation; but if I'm not picking up on sarcasm and you're just trolling OP, carry on.

''
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the math of a helicopter to work is impossible. If i am wrong..... I can freely admit it. By all means correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been on many wells were my math said to slide 90 right for 6.8 feet and I would buil 2 degrees over 45 feet. Holy fucking shit batman

I am inclined to agree.  That old chestnut needs to die.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When you have some real world experience with shit other then saying to a customer,
"Good Evening, tonight's specials are.........and what can I get you to drink and would you all care for some appetizers?"
View Quote

You believe that helicopters are mathematically impossible.

You believe that trigonometry can be "wrong".

You have no credibility.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Supersonic flow can happen at sub Mach aircraft velocity in certain areas.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

Eta: low

I've seen this happen in person.

I've witnessed a vapor cone around an F/A-18 while it was flying ~100' AGL over the flightline at Elmendorf AFB in the week before the yearly airshow there.  Afterburners were not lit, IIRC.  I would bet a large sum that it had more in it.  

The presence of a vapor cone doesn't necessarily mean the aircraft was supersonic.  It's often just a psychrometric thing.
Supersonic flow can happen at sub Mach aircraft velocity in certain areas.    

But, you still don't even have to have localized supersonic airflow to induce Prandtl–Glauert-type condensation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I am not a naval pilot but I got a good nights sleep and I have seen Top gun a few times.

Supersonic means nothing it wastes fuel, the best attack plane of the last 40 years was the A7- no afterburner

For A-A uses the dogfight scenes are all subsonic in Top Gun and the AMRAAM and sidewinders are supersonic

most of our enemies have no aircraft at all so we could bomb them with F4-U Corsairs,  in fact I wish we still did. We definitely do not have the nuts to go with any first world opponents.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In this thread, we are treated to a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.  Look it up, ye looker-uppers.  
View Quote
I learned something today, thanks.

And yes, your prognosis sounds spot on.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

{SIC}

I'm just quoting this so you can't delete it.
View Quote

Quote all fucking day. I have no problem admitting Im wrong. I dont come on here proclaiming anything other then Im an asshole and
been around the block a few times to know that just because the math says one thing on paper, that it can in fact be the opposite in real world applications.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
This has been entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You have no credibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no credibility.

Reading is Fundamental........read carefully now

The trig in many directional drilling situations for sliding to build and turn or drop inclination was correct on paper but the real world application did not perform as the math said. You really are dense.

I am sure there are a few other  Directional Drillers on here who have had the same shit happen to them. If math is correct then no need to worry about ramifications(with your own company mainly) from the company man or the leasing company when you cant hit your fuckinig target.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

''
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the math of a helicopter to work is impossible. If i am wrong..... I can freely admit it. By all means correct me if I am wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''

Lift Coefficient times air density times velocity of air squared over 2 times wing area.

Lift=Cl(d)(v^2)1/2(a)

You are wrong. Admit it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Then entertain me by offering some sort of intelligent answer. You'd think that would be the default response for someone with your level of intelligence and experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you asked.

According to Beoing, the conformal tanks would not cause any additional cruise drag. This was largely true of the F-15 and F-16. Unfortunately you do not have to be a rocket surgeon to see that any additional external protrusion can cause an exponential increase in wave drag during transonic flight (especially during acceleration). In this cause, the CFTs would cause a massive increase in wave drag and exacerbate the already poor transonic performance of an aircraft designed for (comparatively) slow speed stability. Furthermore, the F/A-18 lacks power. The CFTs would only make an already bad T/W worse.
Get back to us when you can spell.  

Why don't you attempt a rebuttal instead of simply insulting my spelling ability?
More Dunning-Kruger Effect.  When you have racked up hours in actual experience, then we might entertain your rant.  But now you are nothing more than a parrot.  

Then entertain me by offering some sort of intelligent answer. You'd think that would be the default response for someone with your level of intelligence and experience.

I love it when newbs do this to someone we all know can bury them in piles of informative facts, data, evidence, tables etc.

I gotta give the kid props, though. He had just enough info to get a rise. Probably should have been ignored.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Plot twist

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Has the OP ever been in a 4 G, inverted dive with a MIG-28?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lift Coefficient times air density times velocity of air squared over 2 times wing area.

Lift=Cl(d)(v^2)1/2(a)

You are wrong. Admit it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''

Lift=Cl(d)(v^2)1/2(a)

You are wrong. Admit it.

I think I already did. You really are dense.  I highlighted it in bold red for you salmoin!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.  No, you're right.  It's mathematically impossible for helicopters to fly.  That's why I went to wizard school instead of flight school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

At what range?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lift=Cl(d)(v^2)1/2(a)

You are wrong. Admit it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''

Lift=Cl(d)(v^2)1/2(a)

You are wrong. Admit it.

Damn...I bet I have more time around the legacy Bugs than you do and I was just an ABE. Dude, quit before someone with real time in one comes in and spanks you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

doubt it but I bet he plays beach volleyball

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Boeing aerospace engineer here, also a ground combat vet who has seen F/A-18's in action. Do me a favor and just finish your degree and get some experience in the field before you spout your ignorance and give all of us a bad reputation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The trig in many directional drilling situations for sliding to build and turn or drop inclination was correct on paper but the real world application did not perform as the math said. You really are dense.

I am sure there are a few other  Directional Drillers on here who have had the same shit happen to them. If math is correct then no need to worry about ramifications(with your own company mainly) from the company man or the leasing company when you cant hit your fuckinig target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no credibility.

You did your math wrong.

If you can prove that trigonometry can provide an incorrect angle measurement (when applied correctly) then you have made a historic discovery. Until then, stop calling other people dense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

''
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''

You are without question wrong. Helicopters achieve lift using wings, just like an airplane. It's just that since the helicopter is designed to hover, the wings are in the form of the rotor and are spun.

Not sure how freely available this is: Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics by Leishman, but it was my most used reference for my Master's thesis, recommended if you want to know more. Leishman also likes history a great deal, and that perspective is quite interesting and it seems a good bit of that section is available online.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol.  No, you're right.  It's mathematically impossible for helicopters to fly.  That's why Inwent to wizard school instead of flight school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  No, you're right.  It's mathematically impossible for helicopters to fly.  That's why Inwent to wizard school instead of flight school.

Was Hermione hot when you were in wizard school?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This says it all.
I agree.

I also remember OP pulling a shit show with another thread. I can't remember what it was. I just remember his name and saying to myself: 'I thought the shit shows ended with the 13ers.'
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's either confusing Helos with bumble bees (which I've seen data that says they shouldn't be able to fly) or he's just remembering some traditional anecdote that get's passed down. Doesn't mean the OP isn't still retarded, if that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I like how the OP is ignoring all of the pilots and engineers who are telling him he is full of shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Familiar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Keith_J

Get back to us when you can spell.  

Why don't you attempt a rebuttal instead of simply insulting my spelling ability?
More Dunning-Kruger Effect.  When you have racked up hours in actual experience, then we might entertain your rant.  But now you are nothing more than a parrot.  

Familiar?
Quite.  I've been rather rare around here the past year or so.  So that newby 14er knows of my rep..NorCal, can we have a cleanup on aisle 10?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You did your math wrong.

If you can prove that trigonometry can provide an incorrect angle measurement (when applied correctly) then you have made a historic discovery. Until then, stop calling other people dense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no credibility.

You did your math wrong.

You really are fucking stupid........math was spot on. Even the company verified, then engineers at the office on top of my boss, Trig was not incorrect as to how much we should slide but the real world application it didnt do as the math said.

Like I said, a few DDs are on here and can verify this shit can happen in a real world application.  

Give up salmmy your not able to comprehend that just because the paper says go up, that real world you will be going down (Used a simple analogy to this who discussion for your ease)
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You did your math wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<cut>

You did your math wrong.

Hey, instead of sophomoric rhetoric, shouldn't you be working on some Excel graphs that overlay 1G envelopes?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think he's either confusing Helos with bumble bees (which I've seen data that says they shouldn't be able to fly) or he's just remembering some traditional anecdote that get's passed down. Doesn't mean the OP isn't still retarded, if that's the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read that as well that bumble bees should be able to fly based on math etc
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like how the OP is ignoring all of the pilots and engineers who are telling him he is full of shit.
View Quote

OPs dad is probably the retarded engineer that thought Super Hornets needed canted pylons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Boeing aerospace engineer here, also a ground combat vet who has seen F/A-18's in action. Do me a favor and just finish your degree and get some experience in the field before you spout your ignorance and give all of us a bad reputation.
View Quote

Why am I wrong?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why am I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why am I wrong?
You are one dense child.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you noticed that too.

I'm guessing that this is what we are dealing with................

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I studied Aeronautical Engineering once. I flunked out and had to fly a cargo plane, full of rubber dog shit, out of Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

OPs dad is probably the retarded engineer that thought Super Hornets needed canted pylons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just take the damn inboards off! Hehe
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why am I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why am I wrong?

Are you fucking serious?

You remind me of the dumb shit kid that a FDNY member on here saved from an ass beating.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#47]

You really are fucking stupid........math was spot on. Even the company verified, then engineers at the office on top of my boss, Trig was not incorrect as to how much we should slide but the real world application it didnt do as the math said.

Like I said, a few DDs are on here and can verify this shit can happen in a real world application.

Give up salmmy your not able to comprehend that just because the paper says go up, that real world you will be going down (Used a simple analogy to this who discussion for your ease)
View Quote

That's uncalled for.

There you go.

Applied  mathematics is an entirely different subject. Trigonometry can't be wrong. It's application can.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bumble bees.  Humming birds.  Helicopters.  It's been anecdotal myth that, "mathematically", none of them should be able to fly for decades.

It's not true of course but, after nearly 30 years, I've given up trying to dispel such myths and choose to perpetuate them instead.  

It makes my defying of gravity gravity for a living seem that much cooler.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's uncalled for.

There you go.

Applied  mathematics is an entirely different subject. Trigonometry can't be wrong. It's application can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's uncalled for.

There you go.

You seem to really be going out of your way to prove him right
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you fucking serious?

You remind me of the dumb shit kid that a FDNY member on here saved from an ass beating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why am I wrong?

Are you fucking serious?

Pretty strong words for someone who believed that helicopters are mathematically impossible.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top