Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
pg2 familiar!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In his defense maintenance hours to flight hours were high towards the end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.

You sir are full of shit.  We flew F-14's from the boat while underway from morning till late at night, day in day out.  Launch,  recover,  refuel,  ect.  Where do you get your data from?  I was there.  You?

There were plenty of F-18's in the hanger bay getting worked on as well.  Just saying....  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in before the OP gets his Norcal intro
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've seen this happen in person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

Eta: low

I've seen them do it in a climb from sea level - OP's retarded.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There were plenty of F-18's in the hanger bay getting worked on as well.  Just saying....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.

You sir are full of shit.  We flew F-14's from the boat while underway from morning till late at night, day in day out.  Launch,  recover,  refuel,  ect.  Where do you get your data from?  I was there.  You?

No doubt my friend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Here comes the pain...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering that the US Navy is doing most of the bombing overseas right now... it seems to be doing that well.

Also, Advanced Super Hornet  

http://www.flightstory.net/wp-content/uploads/advanced-super-hornet_5.jpg
View Quote

Please tell me that's not an NAVY luggage rack???!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OP thinks the F-35 is a great program.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I doubt he's got any experience with aviation beyond pausing Top Gun during the volleyball scene.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still curious what background the OP claims, which he bases his opening statements on.

Transport Crew Chief is my guess.

I doubt he's got any experience with aviation beyond pausing Top Gun during the volleyball scene.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here comes the pain...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here comes the pain...

Hope not.  But would be more fun if OP would come in more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually worked on Turkey's then you would know what a maintenance intensive pig it was, especially the A's and A+'s.
You would also know what a pile of shit the TF30 engine was.
You would also know that the F-14 had one of the largest NMC and PMC rates of aircraft in the Navy during its hayday.
You would also know that the more an aircraft flies the more hour based scheduled maintenance comes due.
If you were in an F-14 squadron you would know that the squadron was consistently undermanned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Due to the incessant nagging and condescending implications derived from the many questions regarding my authority to speak on this subject, I feel that I must admit that I am not a member of the military nor am I a mouth-breathing gamer. I am an unemployed full time student in my fourth and final year studying Aeronautical Engineering.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP thinks the F-35 is a great program.

View Quote

No
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
JFC. Argue about the Hornet (and by that, Superhornet too) against current threats, sure. But arguing against the freakin Tomcat? Good God. Could the Hornet have more speed? Sure. Speed is useful. Is speed a game breaker in a fighter? Of course not.

AMRAAM vs Phoenix, AWG-9 vs APG-73 or 79, better Alpha control, better ECCM suite by far, ALE-47 vs whatever the hell chaff flares the Tomcat had, FOTD vs nothing, on and on.....the Tomcat would not be for long vs today's threats. But it did do a mean flyby so there's that.

The F/A-18 is not perfect but it is definitely got game.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, why?  Just why did you post this shitty steaming pile of shit?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?
View Quote

Holy fuck, a real live intellectual giant posting right here on Arfcom. Please tell us more of your wisdom in aerodynamics!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Super Hornet cost per flight hour is 40% of the F-14 Tomcat and requires 75% less labor hours per flight hour.

http://www.cnatra.navy.mil/aircraft_f18.htm

At least they are cheaper to operate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

View Quote

Lots of wut, but the bolded part is simply factually untrue.

I think OP is retarded.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering that the US Navy is doing most of the bombing overseas right now... it seems to be doing that well.

Yes, and it carries munitions too... "stealthily".
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the aircraft blue?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Due to the incessant nagging and condescending implications derived from the many questions regarding my authority to speak on this subject, I feel that I must admit that I am not a member of the military nor am I a mouth-breathing gamer. I am an unemployed full time student in my fourth and final year studying Aeronautical Engineering.
View Quote

stay in school and keep learning things, you need it

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
So, you know jack, but you have yet to learn shit.

Got it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you nothing of actually killing people?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHA!   I love the internet!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel tank with IRST pod. Not in the Fleet currently.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuckin kids.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Godsdammit, time to get Aero in here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#30]
You might want to get back on the meds OP.
Calm down, help is on the way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you don't know jack shit about the F-18.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enroll in a different school, OP needs his money back for the current one.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that too, but in the picture its an EWP (Enclosed weapon pod)

/armchair enthusiast
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you nothing of written language?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Blue Angel did it on an episode of Mythbusters 1000feet or less off the deck. And I bet he wasn't 10k over sea level either. C'mon, don't you cable TV bro?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

Time to get a refund.

Sounds like that "swindle1994' tard we had years back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you actually worked on Turkey's then you would know what a maintenance intensive pig it was, especially the A's and A+'s.
You would also know that the F-14 had one of the largest NMC and PMC rates of aircraft in the Navy during its hayday.
You would also know that the more an aircraft flies the more hour based scheduled maintenance comes due.

If you were in an F-14 squadron you would know that the squadron was consistently undermanned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not denying any of that.  But saying it was only able to fly 3-4 times a week is  

3 to 4 times a day is more like it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

....I am an unemployed full time student in my fourth and final year studying Aeronautical Engineering.
View Quote

Ouch!  Glad I'm not in those shoes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need to know how to write well to know how to use a radio to drop a bomb on you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Was the aircraft blue?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the aircraft blue?

The one I saw wasn't.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A Blue Angel did it on an episode of Mythbusters 1000feet or less off the deck. And I bet he wasn't 10k over sea level either. C'mon, don't you cable TV bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Blue Angles F/A-18s are stripped of their weapons (obviously) and any other unnecessary weight. They are not an accurate representation of fleet aircraft capability. Certainly not in a combat situation.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/show/faq.aspx
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do. The F-18 has spent the last 13 years doing what it was designed to do at a high misson readiness rate, but I guess you have almost graduated so reality does not matter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't need to know how to write well to know how to use a radio to drop a bomb on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is your knowledge and experience using radios applicable in this context?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

So your saying you have about as much knowledge of the F/A-18 as does your POTUS you voted does running this country??
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#47]
im going to sum this up quick and clean

the f-18 family gives us

-Multirole power
-Superb reliability
-Multifunctional, its can be reconfigured to do different jobs quickly, bomber, strike fighter, interceptor, carrier CAP

now im a huge phanton fan, i love the f4 and its somke trailing awesomeness, but the f4 served its purpose well, from bombing and strike missions in vietnam, to SEAD in 1st gulf war, but the f18 has taken its roll over and expanded it to levels not capable by the f4.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Kid, just back on out of this thread. In case you haven't figured it out yet, we have pilots, maintainers, engineers, and host of others with real world experience that are just going to smack the shit out of you in this thread over the crap you are posting.

A strategic withdrawal is okay sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Ah, the young ... who haven't lived long enough to realize how truly ignorant they are.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Salmon, for the mach 1 under 10k bullshit your spewing....guess when I was in the gulf we didn't witness 2 hornets going Mach 1 doing a flyby my ship to boost our morale???  

Go back to school and keep your mouth shut and learn something useful.

ETA: We heard the sonic boom way after they flew past us.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top