Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2014 2:39:51 PM EDT
Trying to figure out where to go. It's between Savannah, Carleston or New Orleans.

We don't care for beaches or anything like that. We love history and we love the south, these are places I've wanted to go all my life and the few people I know who've been to New Orleans say it's pretty romantic and amazing if you go to the right parts.

Seeking the wisdom of arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Used to visit NO when I was at Keesler.  As a Honeymoon spot, I'd skip it.  As a batchellor(ette) party location, I'd jump all over it.  Continue investigating Savannah and Charleston. YMMV and all that
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
New Orleans for an anniversary perhaps, but I wouldn't go there for a honeymoon. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW, I love New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
NO is Ok spot to hit up for a weekend or a long weekend. You'll rapidly run out of stuff to do for a honeymoon unless you plan on staying in the hotel 24/7 in which case there are better options. I can't imagine hitting up a bar or resturant as your major entertainment the entire honeymoon.

Not knocking NO just seems like a poor choice for what you have in mind.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
New Orleans is much more than just Bourbon Street.  A lot of people can't seem to understand that.

WWII Museum, awesome restaurants, not far from great fishing, plantation tours, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that you all are married, you can get fat. There is great food in New Orleans. Fresh BBQ shrimp and creamy grits - it's hard to beat. Muriel's has a fantastic brunch with live jazz. They have a seance room upstairs and a resident ghost.

There is some great down & dirty jazz on Bourbon St. Public consumption is okay. If you want to actually get some sleep then don't get a hotel on Bourbon. Look downtown.

The WWII museum is phenomenal. Hit up a Burlseque show. Enjoy some of the early 20th century architecture. Eat a lot of good, rich food.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It can be done, especially if you and your wife enjoy the nightlife NOLA can offer.  

There are several hotels in the French Quarter that a small and intimate.  They are high end hotels that would definitely fit the honeymoon feel.  

If you're into history there is no shortage of things to do.  You can spend a good day at the WWII museum and several days just looking at the historical areas in the French Quarter.  You also have the Battle of New Orleans battlefield (War of 1812, not Katrina) and several other attractions outside of NOLA.  

The food can't be beat and there is no shortage of high end restaurants to pick from.  

I deployed to NOLA for Katrina and lived there for several years after.  I love that city and try to get there at least once a year now that I no longer live there.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

New Orleans is much more than just Bourbon Street.  A lot of people can't seem to understand that.

WWII Museum, awesome restaurants, not far from great fishing, plantation tours, etc.
View Quote

Out of those for a honeymoon restaurants and plantation tours would be OK for a honeymoon. I love NO and fo a large part of my life lived near to it. I just can't see it taking up a long period of time unless you are doing a 2-3 day honeymoon.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah people I speak to keep talking about bourbon street but that would just be a minor attraction for us. We are more interested in what happens outside of bourbon street.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah people I speak to keep talking about bourbon street but that would just be a minor attraction for us. We are more interested in what happens outside of bourbon street.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just check the calender to see what is going on in NO the week you plan on being there.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Out of those for a honeymoon restaurants and plantation tours would be OK for a honeymoon. I love NO and fo a large part of my life lived near to it. I just can't see it taking up a long period of time unless you are doing a 2-3 day honeymoon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We also contemplated visiting all 3 places I mentioned over 2 weeks. I really want to see NO but it's hard to say no to charleston I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Not just NO! but HELL NO !!!

I'm from there and it was nice back in the day but now.....no freakin way.

Savannah or Carleston
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We also contemplated visiting all 3 places I mentioned over 2 weeks. I really want to see NO but it's hard to say no to charleston I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno. Two weeks is a long time pretty much anywhere to me. Of course being a honeymoon makes it different.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't honeymoon here, personally.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I dunno. Two weeks is a long time pretty much anywhere to me. Of course being a honeymoon makes it different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys. I may just make it a pitstop for a couple days. Thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
NO can be fun if you get off Bourbon St.

Where in FL.
Im kinda thinking Carrabelle for my next honeymoon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where in FL.

View Quote
Never heard of carrabelle lol. Been in swfl my whole life so the panhandle area is unknown to me.

We thought about visiting st Augustine too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
im getting married there in December.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never heard of carrabelle lol. Been in swfl my whole life so the panhandle area is unknown to me.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in FL.

Carrabelle is coined as the land time forgot.
But we are not history buffs or anything like that. Its in  the middle of a state park, could be a Nat park, not sure.
We are avid hikers and more outdoorsy people so it fits us.
Wed rather chill in the hotel room at night than party downtown also.
Lots of guys at work have been and love it.

St Augustine has tons of history and the gator farm if its still there.
Stay out of Jax though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
New Orleans for an anniversary perhaps, but I wouldn't go there for a honeymoon. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW, I love New Orleans.
View Quote

Agree. Always wanted to go charleston too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
... if the motels are all booked, try Memphis
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

St Augustine has tons of history and the gator farm if its still there.
Stay out of Jax though.
View Quote

"What's there to do in Jax?"
"You can go to St. Augustine."

I've been to New Orleans a few times, I loved it.
But, of your choices, I'd probably pick Charleston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

... if the motels are all booked, try Memphis
View Quote

Yup, that way you don't have to worry about if you marriage will end in divorce. Dead people normally stay married.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Murders, mugging, knock out games, etc
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
ANYWHERE  but NO

Hate that city hole in the swamp!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]
savannah all the way lots of history and night time ghost tours are a hoot. plus the riverfront is real nice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife and I did our honeymoon in Charleston.  We loved it.  I am from LA originally and have been to NO many times.  It certainly has its history and romantic charm, but I would choose Charleston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]
For eating, drinking and other honeymoon stuff is great!  Savannah has some good restaurants but they're not NO good.  Charleston is about like Savannah.

I'd do NO .... did it 43 years ago.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Savanah smells like rotten mud. NO (Bourbon Street) smells like rotten beer. NO is really an incredible city with some of the best food and history in the country. I've gone there dozens of times and never once had a problem of any sort other than a hangover. It can be very romantic and is full of cool architecture. I'd go in a heartbeat. Not sure where you are in Florida, but another cool spot that is not terribly far from the panhandle of Florida is Mentone, Alabama. Great little mountain community with really nice cabins and houses to rent. Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
No. It smells bad and there are tons of sketchy folks all the fuck over the place. Not the best of spots for a honeymoon.

It's an okay place for like a day trip, but not a honeymoon.  Not a honeymoon type activity, but check out some of the crazy ass graveyards if you do go there.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Where in FL.
View Quote

A trip along the Gulf Coast visiting the small towns.  Carrabelle, Apalachicola, motor over to NO.  Check out historic sites and plantations.  Nice scenery, good food .....  Hard to beat for getting to know each other .....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I would vastly prefer Charleston, SC, to New Orleans for a honeymoon. My wife and I found ourselves in NO not long after we were married. The city has an air of decadence about it. It was so pervasive that my wife got seriously upset and we ended up leaving in a huff. (I wouldn't mind going there, to visit, if I was single.)

I would never actually live in NO unless I had a death wish.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Seriously?  Why the hell not?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not just NO! but HELL NO !!!

Seriously?  Why the hell not?  

It was nice back in the day when I grew up there but once the FSA conquered the City in the 80's it became the epicenter for crime and murder in Louisiana.

Screw that for a Honeymoon location.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Seems like N.O. might be great if you and your wife both CCW and want to get in some memories of that oh so romantic street shooting
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Seems like N.O. might be great if you and your wife both CCW and want to get in some memories of that oh so romantic street shooting
View Quote
Lol noted

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]

I vote Carleston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]
not for me it isnt
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#41]
No way I'd go there for a honeymoon, fuck that.

Savannah or Charleston before NO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]
No Savannah sounds better.

N.O. is where to go once divorced.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't like the smell of New Orleans.  

View Quote

I guess you could say

that New Orleans doesn't smell fowl enough for your tastes.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its scary outside.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Trying to figure out where to go. It's between Savannah, Carleston or New Orleans.

We don't care for beaches or anything like that. We love history and we love the south, these are places I've wanted to go all my life and the few people I know who've been to New Orleans say it's pretty romantic and amazing if you go to the right parts.

Seeking the wisdom of arfcom.
View Quote

You want romance and history and don't want the ocean?

Come up here to Michigan - Mackinaw Island.  It's as historical as you get... no cars or engine propelled transport allowed on the island.

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

Not many places in the world like this:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#48]

The goose stuff is a bit overplayed, but was properly applied, sir.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#49]
NOLA... for a honeymoon?!?!??!!?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't know about a honeymoon, but the hubby and I went to Mansfield Plantation and had a great time. The owners are very nice and it is beautiful. You can visit the botanical garden nearby that is made up of several old rice plantations. Take the boat trip and jaunt into the woods to see the slave cemetery etc.

I stumbled onto this book after visiting. A Woman Rice Planter  She ran one of the plantations that was included in the botanical gardens. I found the book stunning in that as some things change, other things remain constant. I'll leave it at that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top