Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2014 3:27:28 AM EDT
"When I pull a gun, then suddenly everyone knows how to speak english"

OR something like that. Where is this quote from? I totally forgot, and have no idea where I'm remembering it from.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm...I think it was Biden that said that
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a Pulp Fiction quote.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
My first thought was Clint saying it in Grand Torino.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Skeeter Skelton in one of his BTDT articles in the good old days?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine as well.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Years ago in my landscape days it was " Be a few dollars off on payroll and everyone speaks English "
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it? I don't do well with quotes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]

When I Google it, it says it comes from some place called AR15.com.

Glad I could help.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
"Like a cue ball, the harder you hit them the more English you get out of them"
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
We have a canning company in town.  They bring Migrant workers in every year.  80% do not speak English.   The canning company had a hazmat spill.   The Vol Fie and EMS were called.  I was running the EMS at the time.  There was a group of the migrants standing off to a side.   I went over to explain what was going on and what spilled and asked if any were having symptoms.   I had no problems with the lack of English.  Seemed they all cold speak and understand English with out a problem.  Head back to the command post for the spill.  One of the guys who worked there ask me why I went over there none of them spoke English.   Seems if there is a hazmat spill everyone speaks English.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
In the movie "Hot Pursuit" when dealing with pirates approaching their boat, Ben Stiller pulls out an M16 and says:

"This is what I call my 'international transmitter.'  It broadcasts in the only true universal language - lead."

And then he does a mag dump.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been hearing various versions of that for 40+ years.

It isn't from a movie.

I had a first hand experience that I thought was hillarious.
A tourist was walking down the street and claimed he got hit by the mirror on a city bus (how they determined this was unclear because he claimed to not be able to speak English when we got there). Luckily, my partner speaks like five languages pretty well (French was his first language). So, he tries various languages with the guy and the guy responds with French. The cop says in English, Ok now that you can communicate with the guy, tell him that he is going to get a ticket for jay walking (and a list of other charges). The tourist who couldn't speak English started yelling, WHAT !!!!!!! THIS IS BULLSHIT !!!!!!! YOU CAN"T ARREST ME I AM THE VICTIM HERE !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the movie "Hot Pursuit" when dealing with pirates approaching their boat, Ben Stiller pulls out an M16 and says:

"This is what I call my 'international transmitter.'  It broadcasts in the only true universal language - lead."

View Quote

Wasn't that John Cusack?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have a canning company in town.  They bring Migrant workers in every year.  80% do not speak English.   The canning company had a hazmat spill.   The Vol Fie and EMS were called.  I was running the EMS at the time.  There was a group of the migrants standing off to a side.   I went over to explain what was going on and what spilled and asked if any were having symptoms.   I had no problems with the lack of English.  Seemed they all cold speak and understand English with out a problem.  Head back to the command post for the spill.  One of the guys who worked there ask me why I went over there none of them spoke English.   Seems if there is a hazmat spill everyone speaks English.  
View Quote

I usually start out with what very little spanish I know and then throw some questions in English.  Funny how they answer...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked a car accident one night. Driver and passenger were Hispanic - no English. As well as no DL - no registration - no proof of insurance. I got playing the 'no habla' game and just called for a wrecker. As soon as the wrecker arrived and started to hook up suddenly they spoke English. 'You can't tow my car - this is my boss's car - I only ran into a tree - and on and on. They even tried to show me an ID.

FUCK EM - towed the car and put em in the wind. Put a hold on the car for damages to private property.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I usually start out with what very little spanish I know and then throw some questions in English.  Funny how they answer...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If English I was not my first language I would not want to talk to the cops in that language for fer of there being a misunderstanding.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]

EVERYONE understands "shotgun".
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"When I pull a gun, then suddenly everyone knows how to speak english"

OR something like that. Where is this quote from? I totally forgot, and have no idea where I'm remembering it from.
View Quote

-------- are like Cue-Balls, the harder you hit 'em, the more english you get out of them!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know, but it was one of the few good scenes in Lucy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#23]
It is so true of a saying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Years ago in my landscape days it was " Be a few dollars off on payroll and everyone speaks English "
View Quote

No shit on this.

All of a sudden everyone has a math degree from MIT.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
WWII or any other war?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Like a cue ball, the harder you hit them the more English you get out of them"
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite one was describing it as "A universal translator, no matter what language I speak everyone knows what I said".

I don't remember where I heard that one either.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I watch a lot of Spanish-language TV, but my grammar is atrocious. I often say that I don't SPEAK Spanish, but the truth is, I can sometimes understand it fairly well. (It depends on how fast the person is talking, their accent, vocabulary etc.) I avoid speaking in Spanish, I freeze up in embarrassment, because my grammar is so bad.

While I do believe that many of these people can speak English (and probably much better than I speak Spanish) and are pretending . . . I can believe that there are also those who do understand, but are hesitant to speak, over embarrassment of a thick accent, horrible grammar, and so forth. In fact, how many times do we hear people bitching because some poor schlub is speaking with a really thick accent? That's enough to turn someone off from speaking it and/or acting like "they don't speak English."
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If English I was not my first language I would not want to talk to the cops in that language for fer of there being a misunderstanding.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAR from a cop
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
"A gunshot means the same in any language..."

I think it was Stewie Griffin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe you are looking for the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091875/

It's been a while, doing research now.
I think it was right after this quote:
Danny Costanzo:
[points his gun at the thug threatening Hughes]
Hablo, Smith and Wesson? You have the right to remain DEAD. Anything you
do will be used against you. You have the right to a CORONER. If you
cannot afford one, we will appoint a medical examiner for you.
View Quote

Nope I was wrong:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#32]
For years working at different truck shops that had body shops with Puerto Rican guys working there people always assumed that I could speak Spanish to them and understand them.

I barely speak a word of it but somehow always understood what they were saying even when they spoke machine gun fast.

Anymore I just bullshit my way through and either have a frown or smile on as they speak and I read their body language and my understanding of street Spanish is better as well
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's a fact.  They'll "que?" you all day long until you short them a few bucks, then it's "WTF dude, give me the rest of my money!".

Oh wait, that wasn't racist was it?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#34]
and they said Math was the universal language of the world.
No silly it is the gun!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a cop friend who said he always answers "No speaka English" with "You speaka pepper spray?"
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No shit on this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit on this.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wasn't that John Cusack?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't that John Cusack?

It was Stiller, this scene took place while Cusak was still trying to catch up. Great movie and I haven't seen it in years!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's a fact.  They'll "que?" you all day long until you short them a few bucks, then it's "WTF dude, give me the rest of my money!".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hispanic isn't a race, so you're good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well as long as they are not White Hispanics

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Official moto of the LAPD.

"The harder you beat them, the better their English gets".
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Everyone listens to Reason.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that an acceptable entry on a 4473?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Habol no Smith & Wesson.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I watch a lot of Spanish-language TV, but my grammar is atrocious. I often say that I don't SPEAK Spanish, but the truth is, I can sometimes understand it fairly well. (It depends on how fast the person is talking, their accent, vocabulary etc.) I avoid speaking in Spanish, I freeze up in embarrassment, because my grammar is so bad.

While I do believe that many of these people can speak English (and probably much better than I speak Spanish) and are pretending . . . I can believe that there are also those who do understand, but are hesitant to speak, over embarrassment of a thick accent, horrible grammar, and so forth. In fact, how many times do we hear people bitching because some poor schlub is speaking with a really thick accent? That's enough to turn someone off from speaking it and/or acting like "they don't speak English."
View Quote

Probably more truth in that statement than you know. When I first started learning Spanish, it was pretty embarrassing to speak with native speakers. The reaction to a pale white dude speaking Spanish is usually hilarious, though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Worked a car accident one night. Driver and passenger were Hispanic - no English. As well as no DL - no registration - no proof of insurance. I got playing the 'no habla' game and just called for a wrecker. As soon as the wrecker arrived and started to hook up suddenly they spoke English. 'You can't tow my car - this is my boss's car - I only ran into a tree - and on and on. They even tried to show me an ID.

FUCK EM - towed the car and put em in the wind. Put a hold on the car for damages to private property.
View Quote

Driving without a license and you just let them walk? That's stainless bracelets around here no matter what language you dont speak
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

I loved that book!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what the fuck to put on the 4473.

I'm of Spaniard descent. Depending on who you talk to, I'm either Hispanic, White, or both.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm of Spaniard descent. Depending on who you talk to, I'm either Hispanic, White, or both.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know how I know you haven't seen a 4473 in a while?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loved that book!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Snowcrash.jpg

Great book. Been years though, missed the quote.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top