Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2014 1:25:40 AM EDT
Thought about this after being in a wedding recently where this was the case.  Everything seemed fine and mostly normal, but it was kinda strange.

Would it be disrespectful to your bride if you wanted to have a female best woman?

My best friend is a female, but I wouldn't even consider asking her to be my best man (heh).  Just seems weird.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If she's your best friend, I think she should play a significant role in your marriage. I think it's OK.

EDT: Your wedding, not your marriage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive seen a male bridesmaid.
Later ended up, oddly fathering a child with the bride.
Still together though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Would you want a male maiden of honor
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Best "Man" at my wedding was a woman. Life long friend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I saw one at a wedding about 3 months ago.
My wedding.

eta: while the major reason was because she is my best friend, I do have to admit part of it was to avoid having to choose between my two brothers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
yea, a girl I know was the best man at her friends wedding not too long ago
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I had two "grooms-women."

Knew one of them since I was in 7th grade and the other is basically my sister.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my good friend's husband to be had his female paramedic partner as his "best man". Especially since most attendees were cops, firefighters, nurses, and paramedics, nobody seemed put off by this at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you want a male maiden of honor
View Quote

I wouldn't care.

If I did, I wouldn't be getting married.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I have.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife's maiden of honor was her brother.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]
At a buddy's wedding two weeks ago.  Best "man" was the groom's sister.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
at her wedding, my sister asked me to stand for her.  felt a little weird, but it was important to her, so i immediately dubbed myself the 'male of honor' and just had fun with it.

she'll be in my groom's party...if i can ever find a woman who will put up with my shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe it just seems a little weird because I haven't really seen it personally.  If I were getting married, I'd like my best friend to be involved in some way.. It just never occurred to me to ask her to be my best woman.

Maybe cause I don't sit around thinking about getting married.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe it just seems a little weird because I haven't really seen it personally.  If I were getting married, I'd like my best friend to be involved in some way.. It just never occurred to me to ask her to be my best woman.

View Quote

Maybe cause I don't sit around thinking about getting married.

might be a bit weird for the bride to see.  i'm sure there are a lot of women who are confident enough to deal with it, but things like that can play on insecurities.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#18]
My sister was my best (wo)man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Still together though.
View Quote

WAT
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WAT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still together though.

WAT

I guess he was the best man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I was in a wedding that had a gay guy on the brides side. They didn't really give him a title. Seemed like an OK stand up guy and his partner or whatever they call them didn't attend.

He wore a tux just like us and took pictures with us but stood on the brides side. She was really happy nobody bitched about it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WAT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still together though.

WAT

my ex wifes friends wedding.
The bride had a guy in her wedding party. I though it was weird as fuck.
But everyone said they were just close friends.
Turns out the bride was pregnant by that guy and had the baby months later.
On the wedding night she got the groom drunk as fuck and had him, ummm, finish thinking she could pass the baby off as his.
Didnt work.
It was a full on drama story. I just laughed my ass off as it played out over the year or so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a "groom's-woman" in my wedding. She was, and is, my best friend besides my wife. There was no strangeness or awkwardness about it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I have seen a male maid of honor. It wasn't weird. A lot of his (groom's) family assumed that he wanted to bang her and would throw a fit during the ceremony, but he's the guy that set the two of them up. Just a good dude, had been friends with the girl forever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
But the best man has to marry the bride if the groom doesn't show up. Do your fiance and "friend" lean that way?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I was the "Best" Man at a nudist wedding once.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]

In college I dated a girl who had been "Best Man" at a friend's wedding.

She was an odd chick.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I stood up at my sister's wedding as her "best man" along with her best friend from college and her lifelong girl friend.

If I am to get married, my sister will be my "best person" and I have a couple of college friends that I've known for a long time I'd ask to be groomsmen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Make sure you're doing it because they should actually be at your right hand during your wedding ceremony, and not because you think it's cute and special and will be fun to have someone of the wrong sex up there.

When my wife and I got married, my wife's younger sister was her maid of honor.

When the sister got married, my wife expected to be her matron of honor, but instead her sister picked a gay male friend of her fiance's.  He was apparently so important to her and such a big part of her life that he should displace my wife as matron of honor, but he was also so insignificant that no one else in the family had ever met or even heard of him before then, and none of us has seen him since.

Simply put, she thought it would be cute and special and fun to have a guy as her "man of honor," and she never gave a thought to why you actually ask someone to do that job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Neighbors son married a girl whose first dance after the wedding ceremony was with her older brother.  He was the only solid rock in her chaotic childhood.  Her father had divorced her mother who was unstable and left the kids with her.  Her older brother stepped up to the plate and was the "man" in her life who got her through it.  Before the dance she went to the mike and explained her reasons.  Her "father" got the second dance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#31]
no pics, this thread suxxors
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#32]

All ceremonies are creepy and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Suffered through the ugly brides maid dress syndrome have you? I agree with this sentiment but the ceremonial aspect of some events does not bother me as much as my participation in them

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#34]
A female acquaintance wanted her two male friends to participate in her wedding.  Rather than make them "bride's men", she had one read a passage from the Bible and the other a short poem during the ceremony.  Served the purpose nicely, I thought.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#35]
When my bil got married, his best man was my wife and the maid of honor was the bride's brother.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

La-la-la-la Lola
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Still together though.
View Quote
I have not yet had enough coffee for this post to make sense.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still together though.

I think you'd have to be drinking Irish Coffee for it to make sense eventually.
He does explain it, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I haven't, but I haven't been to many weddings. Guess it makes sense though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#40]
If she's your best friend why not marry her instead?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I was my sister's "wedding bitch".......anything her 2 brides maids didn't wanna do I got stuck with, along with the "look" from Mom if I balked at doing it.  That included being best man for the groom. I guess I had actually spoke to him 3 or 4 times before that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Screw the rules, it's YOUR wedding  . . . . 'staff' it however you and your spouse see fit .  There have been some crazy unconventional happenings at weddings over the years some good , some bad .Who's to say it's right or wrong?

Do what ever makes the two of you happy
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The idea of spouses being "best friends" is new fangled. Some have said it's contributing to the high divorce rates.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I got nothing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because her husband wouldn't approve.

Just because you're best friends doesn't mean there are romantic feelings involved.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#47]
My daughter made many friends at University, her closest friend there, and still, is a man. They are like brother and sister. No he's not gay. She chose to have him and her actual brother rather than bridesmaids because she is so close to both of them, and has no sisters. She also chose to have her closest friends at her wedding, rather than a bunch of crusty relations who last saw her when she was a baby and would likely never see her again. It was the happiest, most fun wedding I've ever been to...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If she's your best friend, I think she should play a significant role in your marriage. I think it's OK.

EDT: Your wedding, not your marriage.
View Quote

Your best friend should absolutely play a significant role in the marriage; that person is generally the one you are marrying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Last friends wedding i went to had a female best man. Don't see a problem with it. They were best friends since grade school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially, the ones where Vincent Price presides.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top