Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 12:14:53 PM EDT
My two cent review of what you get for $500 million dollars spent on a game.

The Bad

1. Story? What story?

The game's storyline could best be summed up as "I could tell you all the shit that happened before now but storylines are for faggots."  There is nothing but the most cursory nod given to history and there is no story at all for the game's boss fights.

2. Bungie should stop calling it the Next Generation of FPS.

I have not seen anything in the game that makes me think "Wow! Neva been dun befo!"  

3. Don't call something a Social Area if there is no socialization.

"Social Area" seems to mean you cannot kill stuff. The NPCs in the game are somewhat less engaging that cardboard cutouts. Considering #1 above, this game really needs to be more than just point-and-click shooting, with missions that are literally explained in-game as "There's a really bad [insert whatever] here. You need to kill it."

4. I don't know why anyone would use certain guns.

It could just be my play style but I find the Hand Cannon and the MG are absolutely dominant. Comparatively, the other weapons are almost completely pointless to use, yet the game forces you to rely on them when you run out of ammo.

The Good

1. The game is addictive.

While addictive does not actually mean "great", I measure a game partly by how many hours of gameplay I can get for my money. I expect to get a lot of gameplay out of Destiny.

2. Combat dynamics are good.

There is good feedback for some of the weapons and it's clear that a lot of thought and planning went into making the world layouts conducive to strategic fighting. It's something you can take advantage of right away. The game still does not fully utilize all of the potential that the "landscaping" allows for. Large opposing armies could have epic, glorious battles on the terrain.

3. Hope for the future.

The fact that Bungie will continue to develop the universe (according to them) and that they have the opportunity to make a richer, broader gameplay environment could bode very well for Destiny. While the game may feel a little empty and repetitive at the moment, there is literally no end to what they could do with it from here.

Summary

Although it may not sound like it, I consider the good to outweigh the bad and I do not regret buying the game. I expect to enjoy it for a long time to come.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
ill pass
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The Bad

1. Story? What story?

The game's storyline could best be summed up as "I could tell you all the shit that happened before now but storylines are for faggots."  There is nothing but the most cursory nod given to history and there is no story at all for the game's boss fights.

I have not seen anything in the game that makes me think "Wow! Neva been dun befo!"  

"Social Area" seems to mean you cannot kill stuff. The NPCs in the game are somewhat less engaging that cardboard cutouts. Considering #1 above, this game really needs to be more than just point-and-click shooting, with missions that are literally explained in-game as "There's a really bad [insert whatever] here. You need to kill it."

It could just be my play style but I find the Hand Cannon and the MG are absolutely dominant. Comparatively, the other weapons are almost completely pointless to use, yet the game forces you to rely on them when you run out of ammo.

The Good

While addictive does not actually mean "great", I measure a game partly by how many hours of gameplay I can get for my money. I expect to get a lot of gameplay out of Destiny.

There is good feedback for some of the weapons and it's clear that a lot of thought and planning went into making the world layouts conducive to strategic fighting. It's something you can take advantage of right away. The game still does not fully utilize all of the potential that the "landscaping" allows for. Large opposing armies could have epic, glorious battles on the terrain.

3. Hope for the future.

The fact that Bungie will continue to develop the universe (according to them) and that they have the opportunity to make a richer, broader gameplay environment could bode very well for Destiny. While the game may feel a little empty and repetitive at the moment, there is literally no end to what they could do with it from here.

Summary

Although it may not sound like it, I consider the good to outweigh the bad and I do not regret buying the game. I expect to enjoy it for a long time to come.

View Quote

This doesn't surprise me at all.  The fact is, games that differ from "the formula" would be delegated to more niche style games.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This doesn't surprise me at all.  The fact is, games that differ from "the formula" would be delegated to more niche style games.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bad

1. Story? What story?

The Good

3. Hope for the future.

Summary

this Arma 3 is a next generation game. the way they made it so easily modded and such is amazing Arma 2 still consumes a lot of time because one day your fighting zombies the next its russians and building/assaulting bases and such in wasteland.

No one else had done anything since Battlefield 2 which i believe introduced leveling and perks, COD did do the kill streak thing but since then nothing has really changed we get better lighting and graphics but a 10 old game pretty much plays the same.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
could be good, but suffers from full auto spray and pray-itis.
in that regard its like any of the lousy popular shooters out now cod, battlefield (to an extent) etc., every gun battle is who shoots first and whose random full auto shots are more damaging is the winner... ill pass. plus I hate laser guns and jetpack esque mega jumps.

needs moar aimed shots like cs:s
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

this Arma 3 is a next generation game. the way they made it so easily modded and such is amazing Arma 2 still consumes a lot of time because one day your fighting zombies the next its russians and building/assaulting bases and such in wasteland.

No one else had done anything since Battlefield 2 which i believe introduced leveling and perks, COD did do the kill streak thing but since then nothing has really changed we get better lighting and graphics but a 10 old game pretty much plays the same.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bad

1. Story? What story?

The Good

3. Hope for the future.

Summary

It is funny you say that, I actually had the Arma series in mind when I said that.  While I love Arma, and much prefer it to shootem up's with recharging health that come in just about every other game, I would say it is something that is not even on the radar for a lot of gamers out there.  The fact is, that if you want to make a blockbuster mainstream game, IMO, you really have to follow the Halo/COD formula, and maybe add your own little quarks or flavor.  

I think you could even say the same thing about the team based, more strategy style games like rainbow six, or any of the Tom Clancy games for that matter.  

I just think developers look at who is playing the games (no offense meant to anyone here, I like to play games myself, but a quick browse of IGN, or any gaming forum for that matter, should show you why dumbing down is what sells)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top