Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She has the hearse for work or a personal fetish?  The standard solution to this problem is to get a normal car to visit your family with and leave the meat wagon parked at the morgue. Since she happens to be disabled (a protected class) it is discrimination though. Fuck her.
View Quote

Your compassion for people less fortunate than you who have physical limitations, is underwhelming.

I gotta wonder how you feel about wounded warriors.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If visitor access is allowed to the public, (and I can't imagine they can stop residents from having guests), 'reasonable accommodation' must be made for those members of the public with physical limitations.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did anyone actually watch the video?  She is not a resident of that complex.  Her sister and mother have a lease there.  She does not.  As such, she is a visitor.

Does that matter?  Is that federally-mandated handicapped spot only available to residents?  Can the property owner keep someone with the proper permit from parking there?

I'm not being flippant.  I seriously don't know what the law is.

If visitor access is allowed to the public, (and I can't imagine they can stop residents from having guests), 'reasonable accommodation' must be made for those members of the public with physical limitations.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
But is her vagina handicapped?
View Quote

I'm guessing she's a dead lay
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Attention seeking behavior.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw this story, and the article said she is 18, but somehow not a "resident" of the complex even though her mother and sister are. So she lives there with her FAMILY, it's not like she is crashing with friends in a place with just roommates.

Are they brand-new residents of the complex, or did they live there a while already and she just got the hearse? Did they live there together as a family while she was still a minor, and now that she hit the magic age of 18 she is no longer a "resident"? If so, that is one crappy place to live, if you have to get signed onto a lease for your 18th birthday. Weird. So many unanswered questioned in this "news" story.

I would want to get out of that complex anyway, the neighbors, at least the ones quoted, sound like halfwits. All those villages missing their idiots? I think they all moved to that apartment complex.

ETA...or is she just visiting? Like I said, the facts in this story seem to be few and far between...they just threw out some inflammatory snippets and called it a day. Yay, "news."
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your compassion for people less fortunate than you who have physical limitations, is underwhelming.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She has the hearse for work or a personal fetish?  The standard solution to this problem is to get a normal car to visit your family with and leave the meat wagon parked at the morgue. Since she happens to be disabled (a protected class) it is discrimination though. Fuck her.

If they are using the ADA as a wedge to be an asshole and get away with it like this asshole, then they are douche bags too. Take the handicapped out of the story and you have a property owner not wanting a creeper to park her personal hearse on their property. The property owner is only "wrong" because she happens to have a handicapped placard. That is BS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone creeped out by a Hearse is a retard.  Sounds like people are using it as an excuse to be retards.

Now cemeteries, those are creepy.  It is like a storage lot for dead people.  Why do we need to store dead people?  It's not like we need them for parts or can recycle them.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting debate.

The funny thing to me is the dead people mobile being creepy.  Death will come to us all, those with a few extra bucks will get to take a final ride.  "keep it away, keep it away!"  Then in the end, we pay to get in there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right. If you are disabled you should only drive state approved vehicles. To heck with freedom. Lets pander to the "<disliked item here> is icky and cant be seen in public" crowd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If they are using the ADA as a wedge to be an asshole and get away with it like this asshole, then they are douche bags too. Take the handicapped out of the story and you have a property owner not wanting a creeper to park her personal hearse on their property. The property owner is only "wrong" because she happens to have a handicapped placard. That is BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say that if your position boils down to "I don't like the way your car looks" you're probably in the wrong.

What if it were a Sprinter van, or a used police interceptor?  Would the position retain any semblance of reasonability?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right. If you are disabled you should only drive state approved vehicles. To heck with freedom. Lets pander to the "<disliked item here> is icky and cant be seen in public" crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't derp. The government jack boot on the apartment owners neck is not freedom.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd say that if your position boils down to "I don't like the way your car looks" you're probably in the wrong.

What if it were a Sprinter van, or a used police interceptor?  Would the position retain any semblance of reasonability?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. Some places have standards. An apartment complex is similar to an HOA, just with one member, the owner. Some allow rape vans, hearses and multi-colored jalopies with bullet holes, some don't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you call a "normal" vehicle?

What's "normal" to you?

Obviously you didn't read the part where she's a mortuary student and she bought the vehicle because she someday wants to own her own business and also the hearse has enough room for her wheelchair.

But it appears in the meantime it's her daily driver, gets her from A to B without issues.  Guess she should just drive a Dodge Caravan.

What the discrimination comes into play is that the complex is violating state and federal law by not allowing someone with a placard to park there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

I'm not sure about this anyway.  If you're living there with your family and just so happen to have a license and car, shouldn't they have enough to cover all in the family?

At the last complex I lived in, if I remember correctly, you got a certain amount of spots in front(the apartment was on a small hill you had to walk up to access) and others had to park on the other side of the lot.  Still within reasonable distance.

During our time there, my mom had two knee surgeries and applied for and received a placard.   The handicapped parking had no "for residents only" stipulations on it, it was just a blue sign with the wheelchair symbol and the word "PARKING."  

Honestly in theory, I had a friend in college that had cerebral palsy and used crutches.  She also drove and had a handicapped parking placard for her Highlander.  In theory, she should have been able to park if she ever came over(she never did) because there are no stipulations.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What's "normal" to you?

Obviously you didn't read the part where she's a mortuary student and she bought the vehicle because she someday wants to own her own business and also the hearse has enough room for her wheelchair.

But it appears in the meantime it's her daily driver, gets her from A to B without issues.  Guess she should just drive a Dodge Caravan.

What the discrimination comes into play is that the complex is violating state and federal law by not allowing someone with a placard to park there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's "normal" to you?

Normal isn't up to me in this case. It is up to the apartment owner, unless you happen to have a handicapped placard. The law is the law and you are correct, the apartment owner is violating it. Legally protected classes are BS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now cemeteries, those are creepy.  It is like a storage lot for dead people.  Why do we need to store dead people?  It's not like we need them for parts or can recycle them.  
View Quote

That's why I've wondered about if funeral pyres are legal.  When I kick off, just set a fire and throw my ass in.  No need to stick me in the cold ground and put a stone thing over my body that people will only go once or twice a year to see.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Here people, here's the photo off of facebook:

Looks like a standard "Handicapped parking only, $250 fine" sign to me.  Nothing about "residents only."
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think I'd tell the apartment complex management to suck a fart out of my asshole. Then I'd continue to park in the same fucking spot.

I might even make it a hobby. Pull up to the parking spot. Get out and go into the office, tell them all to suck a fart out of my asshole and then go to my apartment. Every. Fucking. Time. I came home.
View Quote

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Handicapped spots mandated by the government should not exist.

ETA: If this person wasn't handicapped, it probably wouldn't have made the news. They are trying to make this about her getting discriminated against for being handicapped....instead the owners of the property not wanting certain things on their property.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First of all, I don't want this to turn into an ADA discussion or bashing thread.  If you don't like the law, fight to get it changed.

Technically, she is being discriminated against.  If she didn't have the required plate or placard, and parking in handicapped parking, she is in violation of the law, and it should be handled as such(ticketed/towed.)

As far as something not wanted on the property, she's in a vehicle obviously legally purchased.  So it's kind of stupid for the complex to go after her because it's creepy.  As someone who used to live in apartment complexes, there were cars that were disassembled, left for weeks and months at a time.  That should be a larger issue than a hearse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Handicapped spots mandated by the government should not exist.

ETA: If this person wasn't handicapped, it probably wouldn't have made the news.  They are trying to make this about her getting discriminated against for being handicapped....instead the owners of the property not wanting certain things on their property.

First of all, I don't want this to turn into an ADA discussion or bashing thread.  If you don't like the law, fight to get it changed.

Technically, she is being discriminated against.  If she didn't have the required plate or placard, and parking in handicapped parking, she is in violation of the law, and it should be handled as such(ticketed/towed.)

As far as something not wanted on the property, she's in a vehicle obviously legally purchased.  So it's kind of stupid for the complex to go after her because it's creepy.  As someone who used to live in apartment complexes, there were cars that were disassembled, left for weeks and months at a time.  That should be a larger issue than a hearse.

But she doesn't have a lease there.   They don't have to allow her onto the property at all if they don't want her there.

eta:  And no, her driving a hearse wouldn't bother me at all.  Frankly, that hearse is a hell of alot classier than any vehicle I own.  And I own alot of vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Normal isn't up to me in this case. It is up to the apartment owner, unless you happen to have a handicapped placard. The law is the law and you are correct, the apartment owner is violating it. Legally protected classes are BS.
View Quote

People should be able to get from A to B in whatever vehicle they either wish to or will work for them.

My dad went around and around with the last complex about his work truck.  It was a pickup truck with a utility box on the back, but had a "D" plate, which in IL are trucks over a certain weight.  The  complex did say he could park there as he was using it to get to and from work.

The subject of the story said the space alloted to her initally did not fit her needs per accommodation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But she doesn't have a lease there.

View Quote

What if she's established residency with a person with a lease? See, that's the problem.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What if she's established residency as a person with a lease? See, that's the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if she's established residency as a person with a lease? See, that's the problem.

If she's got a lease there, then she has as much right to be there as the owner or the other residents.  And if the owner didn't want her bringing her pov hearse onto the property, he should have made that clear at the time of signing.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the hearse.   It's just a car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Only real downside would be the mileage.
View Quote

Yeah, but it's never gone over 30MPH.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If she's got a lease there, then she has as much right to be there as the owner or the other residents.  And if the owner didn't want her bringing her pov hearse onto the property, he should have made that clear at the time of signing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I goofed. I meant what if she's established residency with someone on the lease?

I wonder if she moved in as a minor, or if her parents signed on the lease when she and her sister moved in(she mentions a sister in the video.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't derp. The government jack boot on the apartment owners neck is not freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apartment owners can't tell you what vehicle you can drive/park either. Unless there is something in a contract he can pound sand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Their apartment building, their rules?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Apartment owners can't tell you what vehicle you can drive/park either. Unless there is something in a contract he can pound sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, in that case, I'm on my way over to your property to park my junk collection there. It is bringing down my property value so may as well put it on yours. Freedom! Yeah!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool, in that case, I'm on my way over to your property to park my junk collection there. It is bringing down my property value so may as well put it on yours. Freedom! Yeah!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is hardly the issue at hand. People didn't like that it was a hearse and in handycap. Nothing to do with dumping junk and lowering property values. Her car didn't appear to be run down and she parked in a legal space.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like a solid ADA lawsuit.
View Quote

Unfortunately, correct..

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is hardly the issue at hand. People didn't like that it was a hearse and in handycap. Nothing to do with dumping junk and lowering property values. Her car didn't appear to be run down and she parked in a legal space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I have to connect the dots for you. A hearse implies somebody is dead. A hearse in front of your apartment building every freaking day implies somebody died there every freaking day. That, in turn, discourages many new tenants from applying for a lease.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh whatever. Is that what you think when you see a firetruck? Must be a fire! No lights or sirens it's just parked here, has to be a fire though...

Its her car, it's legal, it's in a parking space, legally. She hasn't broken any laws that I can see. People need to find something else to bitch about.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I goofed. I meant what if she's established residency with someone on the lease?

I wonder if she moved in as a minor, or if her parents signed on the lease when she and her sister moved in(she mentions a sister in the video.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd go with whatever the agreement was.

Some places have restrictions about unsigned people staying there long term.   I think my corpus apartment was that way.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess I have to connect the dots for you. A hearse implies somebody is dead. A hearse in front of your apartment building every freaking day implies somebody died there every freaking day. That, in turn, discourages many new tenants from applying for a lease.
View Quote

If I'm looking for an apartment(which I've been, kind of off and on), I'm going to scope out the area for things such as:
-how many registered sex offenders live near me(as in would it be safe to have my nephew around
-do they have any sketchy looking people hanging around at all hours

If an 18 year old hearse was parked in a parking spot I wouldn't assume that people die daily.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'd go with whatever the agreement was.

Some places have restrictions about unsigned people staying there long term.   I think my corpus apartment was that way.
View Quote

And that's understandable.  I was never on the leases as a lessor but I was listed as a "person that lived in the apartment."
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh whatever. Is that what you think when you see a firetruck? Must be a fire! No lights or sirens it's just parked here, has to be a fire though...

Its her car, it's legal, it's in a parking space, legally. She hasn't broken any laws that I can see. People need to find something else to bitch about.
View Quote

It may be her car, but it isn't her rental property.  And the other tenants complained.

The landlord may or may not give a shit personally... who knows?  His tenants do, however.   Per the article.   Generally speaking, landlords who tell their tenants to "find something else to bitch about" don't do so well.

At least, it's not what I would call a good business practice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
First post for the win.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If the hearse were too long for the spot, I could understand the issue.  But "We don't like the look of your car." seems like it's putting them on very shaky legal ground.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the hearse were too long for the spot, I could understand the issue.  But "We don't like the look of your car." seems like it's putting them on very shaky legal ground.

I'm sure it will come to this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think I'd tell the apartment complex management to suck a fart out of my asshole. Then I'd continue to park in the same fucking spot.

I might even make it a hobby. Pull up to the parking spot. Get out and go into the office, tell them all to suck a fart out of my asshole and then go to my apartment. Every. Fucking. Time. I came home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Seems a lot like the people who freak out about open carry, eh? Not breaking any laws but it scares people, so they "ask" you not to do it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]
That chick needs a wheelchair?  She was bouncing around in her daisy dukes like nothing was wrong.

Deej, I did not see if she had cowboy boots with those shorts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Most importantly why does she drive around in a hearse anyway?
When guys are going to emt school do they drive around in ambulances ?
cops?
mailmen?

This is some bullshit I am handicapped and special crap. No honey you are a fucking weirdo and creep people the fuck out I guarantee it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Back of her hearse looks like a garbage can too.  Nasty.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously.  Out of the park home run.

Really though, I nice letter from an attorney would take care of this in an instant, unless the apt operators are low-grade morons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd probably just park right next to the handicap spot if it was open and if that wasn't good enough, I'd continue parking in the handicap spots
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why is she driving a hearse as a personal vehicle? What does that have to do with being a mortuary student? She's not being discriminated based on her handicap, she's being told the apartment complex doesn't want a thirty year old hearse in the parking lot
View Quote

Attention seeking behavior. I already said that penguin
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why is she driving a hearse as a personal vehicle? What does that have to do with being a mortuary student? She's not being discriminated based on her handicap, she's being told the apartment complex doesn't want a thirty year old hearse in the parking lot
View Quote

Its a  1996 Cadillac Fleetwood federal hearse. It looks to be in good condition.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top