Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 10:25:58 AM EDT
How do ya'll ship your rifles?

As in physical packaging and all that.

I've sold a few rifles, and have had them shipped off... But I usually just used an FFL to take care of all that for me.

I'm going to try to save a few bucks and ship it myself through UPS.

I did just buy a cheap rifle hard case yesterday at wally world, for temp use... Should I just use that?

Can shipping stores make custom sized boxes that the case can fit in?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've made my own from discarded boxes.It's not difficult but takes abit of measuring/planning/cutting..........and lots of duct tape!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My FFL charges me half of what ups or any of the other would charge  and he takes care of all the boxing, labels etc. I find using an ffl to be the easiest/cheapest
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheap, $9 plastic cases that most ARs come in is what I have always used. Duct tape, and zip ties through the lock holes. Random cardboard from a refrigerator box on the outside. More tape.

Fedex. . Done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually buy a cheap rifle case and then just put it in a box you can get at the UPS store, don't want to make it obvious what it is with some of the funny stuff going on at the UPS hub sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I ship a box in a box, both for added protection and covering up the logo on the original box (gun box).

Also, make damn sure you add plenty of insurance!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Disassemble to make it small as possible to make the packaging small rather than sending full size.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Homemade box + USPS has been easy for me. UPS and FedEx have been much more expensive for the things I was sending.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
USPS registered mail has worked great for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A box in a box with padding between the two boxes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I shipped a few in the last year.  I took a sheet of 2" bead board and cut 3 pieces out of it.  All three were the same size and 4 inches or so longer and wider than the rifle.  One of the three pieces I cut out I outlined the rifle making sure to leave a minimum of a couple inches from the outline to the edge of the bead board.  Cut out the shape and then layer up the 3 pieces with the rifle in the cutout piece in the middle of the stack.   Then i used a large cardboard box and made a tight fitting box to ship it in.  2" of bead board and cardboard  all around the rifle, even the USPO  didn't damage anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top