Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2014 2:13:07 AM EDT
Its 2am, SO is asleep and I'm watching some Breaking Bad. Decided to take a second between episodes and "play" with my HD 18.5" Mossberg. The way my house is setup(single story 3 BR main level with basement apartment) it is damn near impossible to turn the corner as a right handed individual. I have to take a right turn out of the narrow hallway leading to my bedroom to overlook the kichen/living room/front door. If a perp decided to come through the front door, I have to sit in my bedroom and aim down the hallway, rather than use my original(not walked through) plan of getting to and taking position behind my bar that separates the kitchen and living room.

Disclaimer: These are late night thoughts. If you thought you had a plan for home defense, walk through it to see how feasible it would be in reality.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Come on. Don't be that dude.  Jeez.

Actually lots of people on this site are that dude, I've noticed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come on. Don't be that dude.  Jeez.

Actually lots of people on this site are that dude, I've noticed.
View Quote

Don't act like you haven't thought about it. If you haven't, then I congratulate you on not living in a, let's say, "transitional neighborhood" in a major city.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Good time to learn how to shoot as a lefty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
AR-15
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AR-15
View Quote

I have 2: carbine with HOLO and pistol with Aimpoint Micro, doesn't change the layout of the house
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:36:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, looks like my mission for the next range trip is lefty only shooting. Gotta learn somehow, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Needs more SBR.
And lefty practice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I worried a lot about this actually so I planned ahead and was born ambidextrous to take care of that
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone that says they've never practiced drills in their home is either lying or daft.

People concealed carry everywhere they go, even while mowing and to tell me that you haven't played out what you might do when you are most vulnerable, at home at night is just crazy..

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Anyone that says they've never practiced drills in their home is either lying or daft.

People concealed carry everywhere they go, even while mowing and to tell me that you haven't played out what you might do when you are most vulnerable, at home at night is just crazy..

View Quote

True.

Ive done it.  And IMHO, its a great thing to train for.  Especially when you move into a new home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True.

Ive done it.  And IMHO, its a great thing to train for.  Especially when you move into a new home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

I've done it...And then did it a lot more after I took a shoot house course and realized how bad I was...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Not that tough. (At least for me)

My right eye is horrible WITH glasses

Lefty is pretty comfortable now

Practice it's a good tool to have
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Very true. Next house, I will definitely identify any weak points in its security and judge how I will react based on layout.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
You definitely failed in your home buying process.  It took quite a bit of work to get a Realtor to understand concepts like the fatal funnel.  But at closing I had a perfect home with a tank revetment and a clear field of fire from defilade.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've done it...And then did it a lot more after I took a shoot house course and realized how bad I was...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Haha, any tips that you learned and can share? Are you a righty , and did you have to make right turns with a carbine or pistol?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You definitely failed in your home buying process.  It took quite a bit of work to get a Realtor to understand concepts like the fatal funnel.  But at closing I had a perfect home with a tank revetment and a clear field of fire from defilade.  
View Quote

Do you have kids?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Do you have kids?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have kids?

Not that I know of.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Needs more SBR.
And lefty practice.
View Quote

Naileddd it.

Get a 10.5'' or 11.5'' up in there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I do it about once a month or so, with my AR and with my pistol (HD weapon of choice). My house is set up perfect for a pistol, but coming from upstairs with a long gun is a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not that tough. I've got a pistol gripped shotgun with a laser so it's just point and shoot with a pretty much guaranteed hit using my turkey loads.

That is if I even have to shoot, I mean what burglar is going to stick around after hearing the slide rack a bullet into the chamber?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not that tough. I've got a pistol gripped shotgun with a laser so it's just point and shoot with a pretty much guaranteed hit using my turkey loads.
That is if I even have to shoot, I mean what burglar is going to stick around after hearing the slide rack a bullet into the chamber?  
View Quote

That guy who is either deaf, high, high and deaf, or thinks that they can take you.  

In my house we have a mirror situated in a very odd spot directly across a room from the entrance from the living room.  It sits low that guests at times think are taste and placement of decor is off and they should teach us where a good spot for be for the mirror.  We kindly tell them it is okay, we like it where it is.  The mirror was made by my late father and we like to have it  visable for a reminder.

But the real truth is, it reflects off a blind spot in that room that a some dirt bag can hide and have a great dominance of the room.  Especially on entry.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Haha, any tips that you learned and can share? Are you a righty , and did you have to make right turns with a carbine or pistol?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Yes I'm a righty
Yes I have one right turn that leads into a T shape
I don't switch hands with carbine or pistol and was taught that it's better to stay with your strong hand if possible
Mostly I just use the angles to my advantage the best I can but really since all occupants of the house are at the end of an L shaped hallway I'm not going through my house by myself.  I will let them come to me.

I do have 2 American Bulldogs that will want to go check things out before me anyways so I will know what I'm up against at least.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm right handed, fortunately there are only a few right turns that I'd need to maneuver and with the open floor plan it shouldn't  be a major issue.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Intruder drill

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the same issue with my house and being a righty.

I have started just sticking my shotgun out into the hallway and start blasting.

My fireplace is starting to look a little worse for wear but I can now activate the light and blast the stove at the same time while avoiding the pellets ricocheting back down the hallway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Exactly. I'll take it a step further and say outright that if you don't do these "fire drills" from time to time you are fucking stupid. Guns are dangerous. The only thing that makes them more safe than dangerous is lots of thoughtful practice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly. I'll take it a step further and say outright that if you don't do these "fire drills" from time to time you are fucking stupid. Guns are dangerous. The only thing that makes them more safe than dangerous is lots of thoughtful practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

This. Know your house. Know your advance and retreat zones, where you can move and where you can be seen or hit from, and find your fatal funnels so that once family is in the rear of them you can cover them and kill anybody entering.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its 2am, SO is asleep and I'm watching some Breaking Bad. Decided to take a second between episodes and "play" with my HD 18.5" Mossberg. The way my house is setup(single story 3 BR main level with basement apartment) it is damn near impossible to turn the corner as a right handed individual. I have to take a right turn out of the narrow hallway leading to my bedroom to overlook the kichen/living room/front door. If a perp decided to come through the front door, I have to sit in my bedroom and aim down the hallway, rather than use my original(not walked through) plan of getting to and taking position behind my bar that separates the kitchen and living room.

Disclaimer: These are late night thoughts. If you thought you had a plan for home defense, walk through it to see how feasible it would be in reality.
View Quote

First of all, quit watching shit like that. Fills your head with fantasy crime glorifying evil garbage. Garbage in, garbage out. Its a trick.

Second, I don't see anything wrong with your description of firing from the bedroom. Sounds like in order to fire from the bar you would have to advance on your threat. IMHO you're better off using that travel time to entrench in the bedroom and make the threat come to you down a hall that enables you to duck behind a corner as cover. If you have a door between the bedroom and the bar, throw a little thumb-lock on it so that an intruder would have to mess with that while you are (1) escaping out the back of the house (2) notifying law (3) defending life if you cannot escape with self and family.

Again, IHMO, I don't think you are better off having to commute to the threat. If someone is breaking in, get away if possible, call police, let the alarm sound, take up your bedroom position, have SO trained to either back you up or get to a safe room behind you, and rain XM193 down the hallway if a threat is 100% positively identified.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I think about that even when I'm visiting at a friends place.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#30]

I find it best to do it before you buy the house, like when the real estate agent is first showing you the place.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone that thinks attempting to clear a house solo is possible shouldn't attempt to clear a house at all. ANYONE with a modicum of training will tell you this.
Bunker in the bedroom and call the police if you get home invaded while sleeping. Shit can be replaced with insurance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I know most of GD hates the Tavor but Ive found that it's pretty much made for residential applications such as clearing your typical stick built home.  No need to SBR (yet overall length on a 16" Tavor is still shorter than a 10.5 AR), it sits naturally in the shoulder  and can easily be manipulated one-handed (leaving your off-hand for opening doors, forearm was born for a weapon light, and it's easier (for me at least) to shoot off-hand.  Outside I would take my ARs every day of the week, but inside I think the Tavor is just about perfect.  The way it moves in hallways, swings around doors jambs and corners....the Israelis got it right.  Call it blasphemy but I even like the CH position over the AR.

Im hoping the x95 fixes the only issue I really have with the Tavor and that's the mag release.  I believe the x95 has the mag release like an AR as opposed to the 'lever' behind the FCG on the current Tavor.

And I would hope that everyone that takes their family's safety seriously is doing drills in their house.  Its quite different to shoot a gun bench rest at the range and work the hallways and corners in a house.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It took quite a bit of work to get a Realtor to understand concepts like the fatal funnel.http://bit.do/SwBC
View Quote

What is it with the tracking images? You might be infected, bro.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#35]
If it's just you or you and an SO, stay in your bedroom with guns trained on the door while you wait for police to arrive.  If you have kids, make a plan for you and SO to move to the kid's room and then bunker down in there waiting for police to arrive.

Blindly running around corners in your house, in the dark, looking for an unknown intruder is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Practice the shoulder bump.  You use your right hand, but shtf the stock to your left shoulder and use your left eye.  This works well with carbine stocks. My target is a mirror about 15 yards away and it's amazing how much less I expose this way vs leaning out enough to shoot with my righ eye
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#37]
When we were looking at houses before we bought this one I was mentally evaluating firing lanes, choke points, etc in them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

First of all, quit watching shit like that. Fills your head with fantasy crime glorifying evil garbage. Garbage in, garbage out. Its a trick.

Second, I don't see anything wrong with your description of firing from the bedroom. Sounds like in order to fire from the bar you would have to advance on your threat. IMHO you're better off using that travel time to entrench in the bedroom and make the threat come to you down a hall that enables you to duck behind a corner as cover. If you have a door between the bedroom and the bar, throw a little thumb-lock on it so that an intruder would have to mess with that while you are (1) escaping out the back of the house (2) notifying law (3) defending life if you cannot escape with self and family.

Again, IHMO, I don't think you are better off having to commute to the threat. If someone is breaking in, get away if possible, call police, let the alarm sound, take up your bedroom position, have SO trained to either back you up or get to a safe room behind you, and rain XM193 down the hallway if a threat is 100% positively identified.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, I'll watch whatever is entertaining, because it is just that: entertainment.

Second, I'm in my own bedroom, and someone breaks in the front door, the LAST thing I am doing is "escaping out the back".  Walking out my patio door would be dumber than posting up behind my bed. I would be visible to all threats outside. SO has instructions to take AR pistol to the back of our closet, through our bathroom and shoot anything thats not me.

We have a GSD and Rot tie mix, they are the threat detection/deterrent system.

ETA: thanks for all of the input guys

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#39]
My house is small not really much to do .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup, looks like my mission for the next range trip is lefty only shooting. Gotta learn somehow, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lefty long gun is easy. Awkwardness is gone after about 100 rounds, and after about 500-1000, you can't tell the difference.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I dress my kids in hockey gear and engage with airsoft.  The two year old is scared for life!  ;)

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I dress my kids in hockey gear and engage with airsoft.  The two year old is scared for life!  ;)

View Quote

Too cool haha. I'm excited for some mini-me's
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lefty long gun is easy. Awkwardness is gone after about 100 rounds, and after about 500-1000, you can't tell the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I practice left handed with all of my guns every time I go the range, but its still awkward and difficult for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread needs more AUG
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not that I know of.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have kids?

Not that I know of.  

Good.  They fill the tank traps up.  Makes you vulnerable to the second wave.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. All the talk about zombies, preping, and any number of camando shit this topic has real world implacations. I practice coming out of my bedroom at least once a month, and moveing either to the front or rear of the house. On the rare occasion the wife and kids are gone at night I will do the same with the lights off. Alineing the sights, tap WML on, then off, move to next location.  Ya know. Normal Jason Born type shit. Operators be opperating and all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top