Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/20/2014 12:32:49 AM EDT
So I have budgeted 2k for a bolt action 308.

Remington 700?
Savage?
FN?

Help me spend my money wisely.
Buy factory or build?

2k in the rifle, optics will be extra.

Pictures of built rifles would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
700 is gonna get you the most custom builders
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
savage
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For 2k budget you could get into a semi-custom Remington 700 (trued action, nice barrel in your choice of length and contour, a decent stock, etc).  That would be my choice hands down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For 2k budget you could get into a semi-custom Remington 700 (trued action, nice barrel in your choice of length and contour, a decent stock, etc).  That would be my choice hands down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Could build a decent 700 for 2K.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I vote 700 as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.   Could build a decent 700 for 2K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.   Could build a decent 700 for 2K.

For 2k you can build a bad ass 700. For a few dollars more he could have a nice rifle built on a Stiller Predator action.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Older 700 in a nice chassis/stock.  No brainer!

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd build it myself.  Learned to blueprint an action this summer.  The only thing I didn't like was swapping out the Rem factory extractor for a claw type (PTG) but since it was part of the class, I did it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]
As a long time Remington shooter.... fuck them

Buy a Tikka, checkout their T3 Sporter in 308 or 260, or the T3 tactical

ETA: I used to sight in rifles for my dad when he had his FFL, I watched Remington's quality go down the drain, the las factory Remington I shot was a Model 7 with a jacked up chamber from the factory. Splitting cases on the second round through the rifle jacked up(I didn't notice it on the first round). It was a pain in the ass to get the rifle sent back.

You can get a R700 action and fix it's problems or by a tikka and have an action with good features to begin with, and to be fair my most accurate rifle is a built R700.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Put that money down on a custom right now and by the time it's finished, you'll have the pay off saved.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Target or hunting?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Target or hunting?
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I always have had a soft spot for the FN SPR (A1 specifically, but whatever floats your boat).

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#17]
FN SPR

Ive had quite a few of R 700s. Not a fan anymore . Q and a on the newer ones sucks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not calling you out or saying this is not possible but I would be interested in seeing a Remington 700p purchased new ($900) sent off to accurize (true, lap) receiver, chamber and crown barrel blank (Schneider) to your OAL of cartridge, precision lugs, stock incluiding bedding to fit action and contour of barrel for $2,000.  

This may be possible if you have a tight throat and good barrel from the factory.  This was not the case on my Rem700 I have a thread on in precision rifles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Savage, unless you want to take it to a smith every time you want to add / replace something.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Thread lacks parameters. There is no limit you can spend on accuracy. But at what point can you say.
That's good enough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I always have had a soft spot for the FN SPR (A1 specifically, but whatever floats your boat).

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not calling you out or saying this is not possible but I would be interested in seeing a Remington 700p purchased new ($900) sent off to accurize (true, lap) receiver, chamber and crown barrel blank (Schneider) to your OAL of cartridge, precision lugs, stock incluiding bedding to fit action and contour of barrel for $2,000.  

This may be possible if you have a tight throat and good barrel from the factory.  This was not the case on my Rem700 I have a thread on in precision rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a matter of fact it is done every day of the week. It really helps the budget when the person commissioning the build is smart enough not to waste $900 on shit they don't need. When doing a build there is no need to buy a complete new rifle (free hint; you are not going to use the stock, barrel, trigger or the recoil lug anyway). You can buy a new action for 500 bucks, or better yet a used rifle for 300-400.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]
FN SPR/thread
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact it is done every day of the week. It really helps the budget when the person commissioning the build is smart enough not to waste $900 on shit they don't need. When doing a build there is no need to buy a complete new rifle (free hint; you are not going to use the stock, barrel, trigger or the recoil lug anyway). You can buy a new action for 500 bucks, or better yet a used rifle for 300-400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no reason to buy a rifle for $900 if all you need is the action if I was going to drop $900 on an action I would go with a Surgeon or Badger action.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just depends on your luck of the draw if you buy a new Remington 700 or you want to peice one together with new/used parts.  Please post your builds and educate me since you are so generous with free hints.  I will be one of the few here that admit I don't know everything.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#26]

I have been thinking of just getting that 20 inch 5R and calling it good.
Spend the other thousand on optics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just depends on your luck of the draw if you buy a new Remington 700 or you want to peice one together with new/used parts.  Please post your builds and educate me since you are so generous with free hints.  I will be one of the few here that admit I don't know everything.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luck of the draw on what? I will tell you as a matter of fact that there is no guarantee you are getting a better rifle by buying a new one. (this goes for any factory rifle).  

Either way luck of the draw has nothing to do with it. You either have a gunsmith that can build a rifle or you don't. As far as the action is concerned, there is no difference in the work done to a new action vs a used one, as far as truing and fitting. I use Gre-tan firing pin assemblies and a Holland recoil lug, again new or used action. There is simply little to no benefit using a new action when "building" a rifle. You can also save a lot of money on your stock by shopping around on sites like Snipers Hide, Accurate shooter, Long Range Hunter .com, Predator Masters and so on.

As far as a triggers go (assuming you build a Remington) Jewell is hard to beat.(around the $200 dollar range) I also use Shilen and Rifle Basic (around $120ish range).

Barrels. This is really important as this is where 90% of your accuracy comes from. Everyone has their favorite, whatever, I use what wins matches. Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, and Shilen are my favorites (yes there are many other quality barrel manufactures out there, these are just my preference).

And at the end of it there are three factors in accurate shooting; a quality rifle, a quality load, and a quality shooter. It takes all three.

I Don't know everything either and I learn something just about every time I go shooting (I am fortunate to be around a bunch of quality shooters and a few quality rifle builders).

Hope this helps, sorry if I came off as being snarky in my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Why not an AR10?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Savage 10/11. They are the most accurate out of the box rifles I have shot. Remington does have more aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
R700 5R in a KRG Whiskey-3 Chassis will put you right at ~$2,000 for rifle/chassis combo

This was about $2000 for everything... If I did it over again, I'd just go with different scope, a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP

It was a great rifle!

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Either an SPR or a 5R, spend the rest on your optic fund.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#32]
RC03

Here is what I mean when I say luck of the draw and it takes you back to the factory where these rifles are made.  The cutter blades dull during the process and machines work themselves a few thou out of whack. Very interesting process, check it out. Most people never can notice a difference and they all shoot within Remington's tolerance before they leave.

I started my build wanting to buy a virgin rifle, bed the action into the very nice stock it already came with (done myself) and put glass on it.  That's it.  From here I was going to shoot this rifle until it needed a new barrel and have the action done at the same time.  After match prepping ammo this rifle shoots a 1.5" moa at 85 yards.  It's within Remingtons tolerances and would make an ok deer rifle but she wouldn't make a good precision rifle.  My shooting partner has the same setup and easily gets 1/2".  Luck of the draw.

So now my rifle was sent off for work and a new barrel.  In hindsight of course I would have built this differently.  Not to derail the Ops thread but if you have built a Remington 700 from the ground up as stated with a custom action or a used one that was trued, matchgrade barrel, good stock, all for 2K, post it in precision rifles so I can see that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Out of the box the savage will be a better shooter, and they do have quite a few more options now then they did five years ago. But if $2k is your rifle budget, no glass, you could get a nice worked on 700 and that would have way more options down the road for you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Tikka T3
Remington 700 5R
Hell, for 2k, go and find an older model Win model 70!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tikka T3
Remington 700 5R
Hell, for 2k, go and find an older model Win model 70!
View Quote

From what I have heard that Tikka T3 is hard to beat out of the box.  Hindsight is 20/20 but far more choices and gunsmiths set up to work on the 700s.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]

I like this one too.... probably shoots better than most shooters.... IM me if you go this route for a very accurate load.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Remington 700 in 260 Remington being built by Snipercentral right now.  I couldn't have built it myself for the price I'm paying.

Remington 700
26" heavy barrel
Bell and Carlson adjustable stock
Timney trigger
Harris swivel bipod
Nightforce base and rings
SWFA 12X mil/mil scope
Hardshell case

About $2400
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FN SPR/thread
View Quote

Yup, and you'll even have a little coin left over for ammo or towards decent glass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#39]
$1825

Remington ADL $350 LGS
Timney Trigger $200 Brownells
Krieger barrel blank $385 after deep chambering and shipping
Used AICS 2.0 $850
EGW base$40

And I did all the work myself.  So I don't know how far $2k gets you if someone builds it for you.  But if they're tooled up to do it I could see it only being $175 labor.  Really not that much actual machine work.  Then again, I wanted an AICS and there are many options out there for $500ish that are just as good.

Also, it's not .308.  If I wanted a .308 I'd probably just buy an FN SPR.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
There's an outfit on the EE thats selling FN SPR's for a pretty good price.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Chamber it in 260 Rem instead of .308 ( or one of the other 6.5 calibers )
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a Remington 700 in 260 Remington being built by Snipercentral right now.  I couldn't have built it myself for the price I'm paying.

Remington 700
26" heavy barrel
Timney trigger
Harris swivel bipod
SWFA 12X mil/mil scope
Hardshell case

About $2400
View Quote

Never heard of them but that's a great price for what they are offering for the basic Rem700 package.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
My FN SPR A1 is the most accurate rifle that I own.  Even though it has a chrome barrel, it outshoots my Tikka and Steyr with Federal GMM.  1/2 inch groups are regular - I love it.  One thing to consider though is they are freaking heavy.  They make a 20" version though and in hindsight I might have picked that one instead.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I would buy a gently used 700 project from someone you know and trust . An old action that was trued and squared ...maybe that already had an aftermarket trigger , but had a shot out barrel .

Most everyone in the game realizes that you hardly ever get back , nearly what you have into your project when you sell . . . . like about any piece of custom machinery .

Have it rebarreled to 260 or 6.5 Creed and top it with whatever tickles your eye and wallet
eta: or maybe 7mm SAUM

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
RC03

Here is what I mean when I say luck of the draw and it takes you back to the factory where these rifles are made.  The cutter blades dull during the process and machines work themselves a few thou out of whack. Very interesting process, check it out. Most people never can notice a difference and they all shoot within Remington's tolerance before they leave.

I started my build wanting to buy a virgin rifle, bed the action into the very nice stock it already came with (done myself) and put glass on it.  That's it.  From here I was going to shoot this rifle until it needed a new barrel and have the action done at the same time.  After match prepping ammo this rifle shoots a 1.5" moa at 85 yards.  It's within Remingtons tolerances and would make an ok deer rifle but she wouldn't make a good precision rifle.  My shooting partner has the same setup and easily gets 1/2".  Luck of the draw.

So now my rifle was sent off for work and a new barrel.  In hindsight of course I would have built this differently.  Not to derail the Ops thread but if you have built a Remington 700 from the ground up as stated with a custom action or a used one that was trued, matchgrade barrel, good stock, all for 2K, post it in precision rifles so I can see that.
View Quote

That's why I don't have any interest in factory rifles anymore. I have seen much worse than you have described such as, warped barrels, head space WAY out of specs, recoil lug canted off, and faulty triggers. A friend of mine had a savage that would fire upon closing the bolt (strait out of the box).

This year I have completed four "factory" rifle builds, and all of them were done at or below 2k. Are you wanting me to start a new thread in the precision rifle sub forum?
When my wife gets back from town I can post pics and provide details.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Never heard of them but that's a great price for what they are offering for the basic Rem700 package.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington 700
26" heavy barrel
Timney trigger
Harris swivel bipod
SWFA 12X mil/mil scope
Hardshell case

About $2400

Link to snipercentral.com Remington package...http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I would haunt the local pawn shops/gunshows and find an older,beater 700. As long as there was an action, pretty much all else tossed or parted out and sold wherever.

Get a really good smith to add a custom barrel, good trigger and stock. Caliber dependant on your intended usage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I would haunt the local pawn shops/gunshows and find an older,beater 700. As long as there was an action, pretty much all else tossed or parted out and sold wherever.

Get a really good smith to add a custom barrel, good trigger and stock. Caliber dependant on your intended usage.
View Quote

You can use the jeweling on the bolt to give you an idea about the round count on old 700's

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's why I don't have any interest in factory rifles anymore. I have seen much worse than you have described such as, warped barrels, head space WAY out of specs, recoil lug canted off, and faulty triggers. A friend of mine had a savage that would fire upon closing the bolt (strait out of the box).

This year I have completed four "factory" rifle builds, and all of them were done at or below 2k. Are you wanting me to start a new thread in the precision rifle sub forum?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RC03

Yeah I would be interested in genuinely reading about what others have built for under 2k.  This was my first build and I agree that it's not economical to start with a factory rifle with how crappy they come.  Are you a gunsmith with the equipment to do this?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Can we still buy brand new, bare , Savage target and Remington 700 actions

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top