Or for $25K, a MG or two.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#2]

At least you know it works.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still, he was a sick ph*c who needed taking out and I'm glad he was obliged.
View Quote

Yes he was, but not vis-à-vis the normal "sick fuck" reasons.  Autopsy (requested by Whitman in the letter he wrote before the shootings) revealed he had a large tumor in his brain.  He had been undergoing pshycological treatment and had asked to see a neurologist, but the pshrink wouldn't authorize it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Is that a Randall I'm looking at?

Knife guys?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a new one.
View Quote

id rather buy a machine gun registered lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
6mm is best mm. I have one in Remington 788. All the fudd looks with teir 1 range and accuracy.
View Quote

I have a Browning Model B78 in 6mm. It is a really nice caliber. Shame they no longer make rifles for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If he wants that kind of money he needs more than serial numbers.  Also the market for this gun is about as wide as a Keats ass.  Would make more donating it to a crime museum/Smithsonian and writing off on taxes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just as a matter of interest......

As the news reports went out about the shooting, and reports of people being penned down by the rifle fire, many Texas citizens showed up with their deer rifles and started shooting at Whitman.  The amount of incoming fire caused him to have to keep his head down and prevented him killing additional innocent people.  The incoming gunfire also distracted him enough to allow some men to sneak up on him and kill him with gunfire.

View Quote

Always worth mentioning.  Good on the folks who shot back.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad Shoot
Bad MOJO with said weapon
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As the news reports went out about the shooting, and reports of people being penned down by the rifle fire, many Texas citizens showed up with their deer rifles and started shooting at Whitman.  The amount of incoming fire caused him to have to keep his head down and prevented him killing additional innocent people.  The incoming gunfire also distracted him enough to allow some men to sneak up on him and kill him with gunfire.

I had always heard there was a pretty consistent hail of .22 LR pinning him down also

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had always heard there was a pretty consistent hail of .22 LR pinning him down also

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texan's aint necessarily known to run away from a gun fight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They almost killed the guys sneaking up on him too since the fire was pretty indiscriminate. I believe there was a guy firing from a plane that was circling overhead. Whitman actually took a shot at him and hit the wing next to him and the pilot pulled out. If nothing else, Whitman was a really good shot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
should be destroyed
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be many eyes rolled at that comment, but people need to keep in mind the fact that those men more than likely had grandparents who lived with the threat of indian attacks hovering over their heads. The Texan of the 1960s, is not the Texan of today. Those were the men that drove a truck, because they needed and wore cowboy hats for the shade it provided, rather than a fashion statement. Unfortunately, those old guys are getting fewer every year, while liberal immigrants are steadily increasing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a Browning Model B78 in 6mm. It is a really nice caliber. Shame they no longer make rifles for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6mm is best mm. I have one in Remington 788. All the fudd looks with teir 1 range and accuracy.

They make them but it will cost you
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

should be destroyed
View Quote

No, it should not. The rifle is not evil... it is the person.

With your logic every M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Mauser, and Mosin Nagant shoukd be destroyed because they might have been used in killing someone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, citizens with firearms helped stop the killing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As the news reports went out about the shooting, and reports of people being penned down by the rifle fire, many Texas citizens showed up with their deer rifles and started shooting at Whitman.
View Quote

The owner of a gun shop located near by supplied rifles and cartridges so people could pin him down.
That would be a Federal crime today unless the proper paperwork was completed and official permission for the transfer was obtained ...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Kinda strange really....

wonder how this person got it....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The owner of a gun shop located near by supplied rifles and cartridges so people could pin him down.

That would be a Federal crime today unless the proper paperwork was completed and official permission for the transfer was obtained ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
As the news reports went out about the shooting, and reports of people being penned down by the rifle fire, many Texas citizens showed up with their deer rifles and started shooting at Whitman.

I bet He knew every one He gave guns to and got every one of them back. Different times.

When I was a kid about 6-7 years old (Around 72-73) I remember one of the clerks or the owner at Bernabos

gun store in Newburgh NY telling a guy to take a rifle --try it out and if he wasnt pleased with it he would not

have to buy it. Now Joe Bernabo probably knew the guy but still. It wasnt till later on in the 80's things like that stopped being done -- a mans word or reputation counted for little anymore. They did not have to "DO SOMETHING" and pass a whole plethora of new laws afterward for one sick persons bad actions either. Today nancy pelosi et al would be dancing in the blood of the victims on CNN as soon as the all clear was given.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Is that a Randall I'm looking at?

Knife guys?
View Quote
Yes.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
If a firearm is used in a crime and the dipshit is found guilty, the gat is off to the CHOP SHOP here.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
should be destroyed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
should be destroyed

No.  Just... no.  No more than Auschwitz or the various "Old Sparkys" should be destroyed.  Is it a nice thing to have?  Would I like to have it?  No on both counts.  But these are important artifacts, and destroying them is the work of children trying to keep the boogeyman at bay, not grown-ups facing up to the world as it is.  Was just an auction ~5 years ago for the guns of Bonnie & Clyde; should they have been destroyed, too?

Quoted:

And this.  Sure do wish I could have been there, doing some "ranging" shots so's I could have his range dialed in when he stuck his head up...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Just a little background on this. Charles Whitman was a Marine who went up on the University of Texas Tower and began shooting people in 1966. He killed around 16 and wounded almost 40.

I am in search of those guns and am very interested in purchasing them. This is what I have so far. A man named Wayne Buxton purchased the guns from an estate sale of a rich oil man from Wichita Falls, Texas that died and then ran an ad in Shotgun News in 1989 and sold them all. I got in touch with Mr. Buxton in an attempt to find out who he sold them to and his shop at the time burned down and there are no records, receipts of who bought them. For some reason Mr. Buxton caught all kinds of hell over selling the guns which I do not understand as they have a significant historical value. No one gets upset over JW Booth's guns or Oswald's rifle. Anyway, Mr. Buxton's original shop burned down along with all his receipts and records and does not remember the name of the guy who bought them. Apparently the oil guy had a massive collection of firearms but Buxton just wanted the Whitman guns. Buxton low balled the estate attorneys with a 1000 dollar bid thinking they'd never go for that low a price and was shocked when he found out his bid was the winning bid!! He just recalls that the guy who bought them was in his 30s or 40s in 1989 and paid 4500 dollars for the entire collection and was from a small town in Texas not like Houston or Dallas. Mr. Buxton was happy to get rid of them and make a profit. People were calling him at all hours of the night and sending hateful letters. Granted this was a tragic event, but it is an historical one. If anyone on here knows who is in possession of those firearms please let me know. I want to purchase them but if that is not possible I'd like to photograph them in the condition they are today. Thanks to anyone who can help!"
View Quote

He killed 17. His last victim died in 2001 from complications of getting shot that day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to have a 6mm 788 too. Many, many years ago. Most accurate rifle Ill probably ever own. Only reason I traded it off was it didn't always feed real well out of the magazines &, in my youthful arrogance, thought .243 was the superior 6mm

If I could buy that same rifle back today & pay a handsome premium for it.

.243 is far from a sub par cartridge, but I do think 6 rem in a 788 is superior, for average out of the box rifles. 6mm bullets have a lot to offer in the way of  ballistics...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, kept the casualties down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If a firearm is used in a crime and the dipshit is found guilty, the gat is off to the CHOP SHOP here.

Danny
View Quote

What if the gun was stolen?  They don't try and locate the rightful owner?  They just destroy it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The libs need to understand the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun(and the balls to fight back).
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's not always a good thing. Look up Mark Essex and read how bad it got when everyone with a rifle showed up and started shooting at each other.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

that's not always a good thing. Look up Mark Essex and read how bad it got when everyone with a rifle showed up and started shooting at each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oops.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

had not heard of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Essex

Damn

Seeing the story on TV, Lt. General Chuck Pitman of the USMC offered the use of a military  helicopter
to assist the police officers. The helicopter was loaded with armed men
and dispatched to the hotel. By this time, Essex had retreated up to
the roof of the building where he and the helicopter exchanged many
rounds over many hours. As nightfall came, Essex managed to hole himself
up in a concrete cubicle that would protect him in the Southeast side
of the roof. As he stepped out once again in the open to fire again on
the helicopter, and after hitting the helicopter's transmission, Essex
was barraged with fatal gunfire from police sharpshooters on the roofs
of adjacent buildings as well as the automatic weapons aboard the
helicopter. An autopsy later revealed more than 200 gunshot wounds.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
should be destroyed
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely an interesting piece.  I'd be tempted if I had a ton of money to burn.  It really doesn't do you any good to buy it though unless you display it.  Sitting in a safe it really has no value.  And you'd have to be comfortable displaying something like that with such a bloody history.

That being said, EVERYONE remotely into firearms knows about that incident.  And many people who aren't into firearms know it as well.  It's sorta neat to own an item so integral to a major historical event, even if it is notorious and criminal.

I'd imagine oswald's rifle would be worth a fortune
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thought firearms used in a homicide were kept as evidence indefinitely, especially one with the history of this rifle. Guess maybe back then it could have been passed around and eventually forgotten. Regardless, not a firearm I'd be interested in owning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is this possible?

Someone owns the rifle, and they want to sell it.

I can't for the life of me see anyone paying $25 K for it, but there are some strange people out there.

Thought firearms used in a homicide were kept as evidence indefinitely, especially one with the history of this rifle. Guess maybe back then it could have been passed around and eventually forgotten. Regardless, not a firearm I'd be interested in owning.

Jack Ruby's gun was auctioned a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Jack Ruby's gun was auctioned a few years ago.
View Quote
IIRC it was part of an estate ans there was a nasty court fight over ownership

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The libs need to understand the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun(and the balls to fight back).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So true.  Those good ole boys with deer rifles saved some lives that day.  

As I recall, Whitman was a good guy.  He had some sort of brain tumor that made him insane, and resulted in him shooting these innocent people.  

I lean not on my understanding...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting, if not dark, piece of history.

The only cop killed (or maybe the first, not sure) by Whitman was my wife's dad's partner.  They were among the first to respond and he was right next to him when he was shot.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Interesting, if not dark, piece of history.

The only cop killed (or maybe the first, not sure) by Whitman was my wife's dad's partner.  They were among the first to respond and he was right next to him when he was shot.  
View Quote

People  think he did it from the tower with a  rifle  Truth is, a fair number of his  kills were on the way TO his sniper position.  His family members for example.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#41]
6mm !

Guy really did know his beeswax
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#42]
How many here have laughed at Liberals for being scared or creeped out by guns? Even though they’re inanimate objects? That rifle didn’t do the shooting, the man holding it did. It’s wood and steel. That’s it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Serial number of rifle and scope in pic at link.

GUNS FOUND AROUND BODY:
Remington Model 700 - 6MM, Bolt action #149037, with Leupold four power - M8-4X scope, cheek stock (serial #61384) and leather strap.
Sears 12 gauge 2.75 chamber automatic shotgun, barrel and stock, both sawed off
Remington 35 caliber model 141 pump #1859 rifle
U. S. Carbine 30 caliber M-1 Universal #69799 with Webb sling.
357 Mag Smith and Weston 4.5 barrel, chrome, Model 19 #K391583
9MM Luger #2010
6.35 MM Caliber Automatic pistol- Galesi-brescia #366869

https://texasguntrader.com/db/tgt_pics4578139.jpg

https://texasguntrader.com/db/tgt_pics8266238.jpg

http://murderpedia.org/male.W/images/whitman_charles/shooting/1017.jpg
View Quote

I would take that Randall #1...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top