Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nothing altruistic about it, I'm just saying VZW wouldn't be fucking everyone with an unlimited plan if it weren't for the abuse of users like you. Justify it however you want, they've straight up said as much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They throttle the top percent users during "busy periods on high congestion towers".  To the dude who spoke about irony, I'm gonna bust out the old-school QQ.  I stream the fuck out of everything.  Eat it.

Yep, fuck everyone, you got yours, right? Don't come QQ when you start getting EDGE 1xRTT speeds.

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttttt....cause you would voluntarily throttle yourself if you paid for an unlimited plan "for the good of everyone."

Nothing altruistic about it, I'm just saying VZW wouldn't be fucking everyone with an unlimited plan if it weren't for the abuse of users like you. Justify it however you want, they've straight up said as much.

Oh really?  They said it's my fault?  Oh well I'm sorry.

Oh wait, you sure that's not bullshit?  It very well could be bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why so pissy, champ? Couldn't get a date for Homecoming?

I'm not even on Verizon, I don't give a shit who they throttle or why.  What I do know is pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They throttle the top percent users during "busy periods on high congestion towers".  To the dude who spoke about irony, I'm gonna bust out the old-school QQ.  I stream the fuck out of everything.  Eat it.

Yep, fuck everyone, you got yours, right? Don't come QQ when you start getting EDGE 1xRTT speeds.

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttttt....cause you would voluntarily throttle yourself if you paid for an unlimited plan "for the good of everyone."

Lol.

Abuse of unlimited data.  You must work for VZ.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread reminds me why I ditched Verizon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not even on Verizon, I don't give a shit who they throttle or why.  What I do know is pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't being pissy.  I was being sarcastic by pointing out the absurdity of believing that Verizon, or any ISP, is throttling because their customers are *gasp* using their service and not because they don't want to invest in the infrastructure to keep up with content providers.

It's a computer....in my pocket....with fast as shit internet.  What exactly did they expect to happen?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh yes they would. And what is your definition of abuse? I usually use 5 GB a month on my unlimited plan.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Uhhh yes they would. And what is your definition of abuse? I usually use 5 GB a month on my unlimited plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a fair question, and abuse is the wrong word. "Sustained high-bandwidth traffic", maybe?

And I don't work for Verizon, nor have I ever been an employee or customer. I did work for T-Mobile for several years, so I'm very familiar with traffic prioritization and how high usage customers are treated. Not to mention that making a general statement and getting told by one person to "suck it" just painted a target on them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have some dumb phone lines for backups I upgrade them and swap sim cards
View Quote

Same here. I'm a bitter clinger to my wife's and my unlimited data. I also pay the tether fee on my account.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The whole limited data thing is now a money making scheme. The providers are now charging people for X amount of data per month. Let's say 10 GB. So they charge for the data, and the price is the same whether you use 1 GB or 10 GB. Catch is, if you only used 1 GB in that month, the other 9 GB don't roll over. It's like putting 15 gallons of gas in your car, and at the end of the month, you have to give the gas station the remaining fuel back at the end of the month, with no refund. It's horseshit.

They are all about pushing faster and faster speeds, allow people to reliably stream apps such as NBC Live Extra, but don't want people to actually be able to take advantage of the speeds or apps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone at my company does.  Business plan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The irony is, they wouldn't need to throttle if it wasn't for greedy fuckers abusing unlimited data with streaming HD movies, torrents, and tethering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're about really close to shit out of luck.  Plus they throttle now.  Basically kiss that unlimited dream goodbye.

There are times I can't even play a Youtube video anymore they throttle me so bad, and not in a kinky and enjoyable way.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937217/what-you-need-to-know-about-verizon-lte-throttling

They aren't throttling yet.

My speedtests would prove otherwise.  They've been throttling for months.

The irony is, they wouldn't need to throttle if it wasn't for greedy fuckers abusing unlimited data with streaming HD movies, torrents, and tethering.

42g last month. This greedy fucker signed an unlimited data plan and uses it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's a fair question, and abuse is the wrong word. "Sustained high-bandwidth traffic", maybe?

And I don't work for Verizon, nor have I ever been an employee or customer. I did work for T-Mobile for several years, so I'm very familiar with traffic prioritization and how high usage customers are treated. Not to mention that making a general statement and getting told by one person to "suck it" just painted a target on them.
View Quote

I didn't say suck it.  I said eat it in response to both your "general" statement about how I use the bandwidth I pay for and your calling me a "greedy fucker."

Your opinion is like one dude bitching at another dude at the buffet at Denny's for taking all the bacon.  Dude, there's more bacon in the world, Denny's just doesn't want to spend the money to bring it to your face.  Not my fault you only got 1 piece.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally gave it up last week.  Never used that much data anyway, and I was tired of having to buy full price phones on the side.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to get a new phone in the next month.  Do I need to put my current sim card in the phone or can I just use the new one to keep my unlimited data?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm going to get a new phone in the next month.  Do I need to put my current sim card in the phone or can I just use the new one to keep my unlimited data?
View Quote

If you use the new sim, you will lose unlimited data. You have to use your old sim, and order from a non-carrier retailer ie Best Buy. Get it shipped to your house, don't go in the store. Google around, there are still a bunch of people who use this loophole.

Edit: There are more detailed posts, but this was the first thing I saw describing the process http://androidforums.com/verizon/844803-upgrade-your-device-maintain-udp-using-best-buy.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought a lightly used phone from ebay and did the switch on-line. It was pretty seamless.
View Quote

This.

Nice lightly used nokia, pulled the sim card from my old phone stuck it in the new one and fired her up. Still have my unlimited data plan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]
If you use the new sim, you will lose unlimited data. You have to use your old sim, and order from a non-carrier retailer ie Best Buy. Get it shipped to your house, don't go in the store. Google around, there are still a bunch of people who use this loophole.

Edit: There are more detailed posts, but this was the first thing I saw describing the process [url=http://androidforums.com/verizon/844803-upgrade-your-device-maintain-udp-using-best-buy.html]http://androidforums.com/verizon/844803-upgrade-your-device-maintain-udp-using-best-buy

So if I do this I can get it for the upgrade price and not pay full price.  I was planing on paying full price.  But if this works I might just have to buy a sim card cutter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yes I still have mine. We manage to get around it by using my upgrades on my wife's phone and her upgrades on mine. No idea why, but so far it's working
View Quote

Whoa is that what it is?!?   I have my dad's phone on my account.  He had a shitty old flip phone and doesn't want anything more.  I used his upgrade awhile back to get the HTC One fully expecting to lose my plan.... but still have it!

Wonder how long it will take them to catch on to that
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Bought my phone outright from Amazon Wireless.  Rooted it (Android) and tether with 3rd party app.  Download as much as I want.  Unlimited means "unlimited".
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#20]

when I got my Note 2 last year I lost my unlimited plan. When I called up to question it the lady told me that I have the 2gb limit now and based on my history I used about 1gb so I would be ok. I politely expressed my concerns and the lady said that since I was with Verizon for so lone (since 1996) she upgraded my account to 6gb a month for the same price as the standard 2gb. She called it the loyalty deal or something like that.

So, for all the texting and pictures that go flying around, I'm good with 6gb. I was surprised that I barely got over 1gb.

I'd call them and talk to them. They treated me good.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

All I got.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

buying a phone outright and activating it

All I got.

Me and my two younger brothers share a family plan together. They both have unlimited data plans, while I don't. They transfer their upgrades to my line, and buy their phones outright when they want a new one. If there was another way I'm sure they would have found it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been considering dumping my unlimited plan because I am rarely online with my phone. However, if I had a faster phone with a larger screen, or the ability to tether, I would use it more. I'm screwed either way.
Here is my current plan for my iPhone 4. Should I change plans and get a free iPhone 6 16gb? (I still have 27 GB free on my iPhone 4, so not sure if I need more storage than 16GB. Again, better phone and I might use it more.)
Nationwide Talk 450 (450 monthly allowance minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile) - $39.99
Unlimited e-mail and web - $29.99
My usage last month (typical) -  Voice Allowance - Plan: 450 minutes, Used: 9 minutes. Mobile to mobile/Nights weekend: Unlimited, Used 12 minutes.
                                              Texting Allowance - Plan: Zero, Used: 6 (roommate texts me) Extra $1.60
                                              Data Allowance - Plan: Unlimited, Used: 930,825 Kilobytes.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They don't need to throttle. It's purely a money grab.

Large Corporate accounts (1000+ lines) and government users have unlimited data available to this day and isn't subject to the throttling.  You better believe they count the data they use to try and shame unlimited users.

Look on Ebay there's people who work for the large corp selling unlimited data plans. You give that guy some money and he puts you on the corporate plan. With 1000+ accounts who's going to notice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Large Corporate accounts (1000+ lines) and government users have unlimited data available to this day and isn't subject to the throttling.  You better believe they count the data they use to try and shame unlimited users.

Look on Ebay there's people who work for the large corp selling unlimited data plans. You give that guy some money and he puts you on the corporate plan. With 1000+ accounts who's going to notice?

So true.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still got mine, just buy phones off contract.  Using a Note 2 now that I got off Ebay.
View Quote

Same here.  Bought 2 used Note 2's.  One is a parts phone.

Looking forward to the Note 4.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been on AT&Ts unlimited since they came out with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Still on unlimited. The no upgrade/reduced price phones sucks but oh well. We have 5 lines and three with unlimited. Both our parents use flip phones, we have used there upgrades last year when the Note 3 came out. Daughter is stuck on a Iphone 4 though. So she is constantly trying to get us to upgrade. I will be looking for a newer Iphone for her so she can at least have 4G data. Our unlimited lines are out of contract, only parents lines have contract ending in October of 2015.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're about really close to shit out of luck.  Plus they throttle now.  Basically kiss that unlimited dream goodbye.

There are times I can't even play a Youtube video anymore they throttle me so bad, and not in a kinky and enjoyable way.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937217/what-you-need-to-know-about-verizon-lte-throttling

I pay for unlimited, I will use it. Next.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Another VZW Unlimited Data user here. Walked in, bought an iPhone 6 and they asked if I wanted to keep my unlimited before I could even tell them I had it.

They will throttle if you really hit them hard but a big month every now and then won't get me throttled. If you can't stream YouTube videos there is probably more to it than a throttled unlimited plan. Sounds like their network may be overburdened in that area.

I average 30-40gb on my iPad data plan and my wife and I are usually in the 5-12gb each on our unlimited iPhones. They are all just as fast as my devices on a share data plan. That said overall speeds are down from what they were a few years ago when LTE devices weren't as prevalent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is the part where you know Verizon is full of shit...

If you're an unlimited user and go over 4gig of bandwith they will throttle you.
if you're on a 10gig plan and go over 9gig of bandwith, they will not throttle you.

You're an idiot if you believe the shit Verizon says.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#31]
The day they dump the unlimited plan is the day I go to one of these $40/month prepaid jobs. I do no want to get chased by a data hound saying I am this close to going over my "limit" bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Either buy a phone new at retail or buy a used phone off CL. Just have the person meet you at the VZW store to make sure it is not stolen. I got a brand new Galaxy S3 for the wife off CL for $275. Poor people will use their upgrade to get a new device then sell new device and re activate old phone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm also interested in this.  

Say I have an iphone 4 currently, that doesn't have a sim card, and I buy a used 5 or 5s that needs an LTE sim.  

How do I go about getting one that will allow me to keep my unlimited plan?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Say I have an iphone 4 currently, that doesn't have a sim card, and I buy a used 5 or 5s that needs an LTE sim.  

View Quote

Bumpin to hear the answer to this. ^^^

I've got an iPhone 4 and want the HTC One M8. How do I make that switch while keeping my unlimited plan?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've got an iPhone 4 and want the HTC One M8. How do I make that switch while keeping my unlimited plan?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted a solution for this exact situation on the first page: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1667899_Verizon_Unlimited_Data_Plan__do_you_have_one_and_how_did_you_keep_it_.html&page=1#i49446935
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This thread reminds me why I ditched Verizon.
View Quote

I know a handful of people who have ditched Verizon and AT&T over the last couple months, in favor of T-Mobile.  If they start throttling me, I'll probably do the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#37]
The problem with buying a new phone at retail price to keep your unlimited plan is you're still paying the same monthly rate as you would if you bought a $200 subsidized phone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Using what you pay for = greedy abusers.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I think you just buy the SIM at the Verizon store.  You can swap phones around as you please on the My Verizon website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you just buy the SIM at the Verizon store.  You can swap phones around as you please on the My Verizon website.

They didn't care as long as I bought the device. They added "LTE Access" to the existing plan and that was the end of it. That was way back when LTE first hit and I went from a Droid to an HTC Thunderbolt. Been the same procedure for me ever since for iPhones as well.

ETA and this is important: Go to a Verizon corporate store. Don't be fooled by these little standalone stores that say Verizon in big letters and Wireless Communications or the like in small letters underneath. They can't do anything for you there. These spoof stores have no more flexibility than the mall guys in a kiosk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#41]
On a family plan with my wife and In-laws.  Wife and I have unlimited.  MIL has a 2GB plan and FIL has a dumb phone. My wife and I were eligible for an upgrade right when the S5 came out.  We moved our upgrades to her parents and got subsidized S5's.  They got S5s activated and working on their lines for 10 minutes, then I called up Verizion and and reactivated their old phones.  Waited another 10 minutes, called and activated the now "Used" S5's on my wife's and I lines.  Best thing it extended the contract on the unlimited lines until 2016.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The problem with buying a new phone at retail price to keep your unlimited plan is you're still paying the same monthly rate as you would if you bought a $200 subsidized phone.
View Quote

But it enabled me to cancel my home internet.  I broke even after about a year, now I'm saving money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted a solution for this exact situation on the first page: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1667899_Verizon_Unlimited_Data_Plan__do_you_have_one_and_how_did_you_keep_it_.html&page=1#i49446935

Ok thanks, so basically if I bring in a used phone and ask for a sim for it, they'll make me one?  Sounds easy enough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't buy a new phone on a discounted renewal.  I paid full price for my Note III.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Find a friend with an old 4G phone you can borrow. Take it to a verizon store and tell them your friend gave you a phone and you need a sim card to activate it on your account. Activate that new sim card in your friends old phone and then buy the phone you want on contract and use that sim card in it.

ETA: Just to clarify you must order the phone through a third party vendor and activate it yourself at home. The verizon sales reps will not let you leave the store with an unactivated phone and they definitely will not swap in your old sim card and activate that way (they are privy to this loophole)."

Awesome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I suppose I also have to make sure the SIM card for the old borrowed phone is the same size as the SIM card in my new phone too, huh. Has anybody ever just walked into a Verizon store without a phone in hand and asked for a new SIM card for their account so they could take it home and put it in an unactive phone? Would they do that or do they expect to see the device you're putting it in? What if I just found some young kid workin at the store and took him out for lunch at Subway next door and told him exactly and honestly what I want to do... what do you estimate my odds to be at walking out with a new SIM card for my "bought on-line phone"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit? , That sounds interesting. I'm going to look into it. I suppose there's nothing illegal about it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#47]
My whole family is on a joint plan. Just upgrade one line and swap. I use about 9GB a month, so it's nice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My whole family is on a joint plan. Just upgrade one line and swap. I use about 9GB a month, so it's nice.
View Quote

39.51 GB this month.  23 GB in youtube.  I discovered Game Grumps, and have been watching the Trauma Center episodes.  I LIKE CRANBERRIES!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I still have mine, in fact I also have a voice and text plan no longer offered. I bought my S5 outright at the store. I didn't change SIM cards. I also have a 22% discount from my employer. If I switched to any of their new plans I'd be paying at least $50 more a month, probably $60 because I have my parents on my plan with their standard phones. I rarely even use over 1Gb a month but kept my plan because it is far cheaper than switching.

Here's a couple things to remember:

If you buy your phone on a 2 year contract, you're still paying the 500-700 you'd pay if you bought it outright, that's why you're locked in for a contract and there's a huge early termination fee. You're not getting ANYTHING for free or at a discount, especially not with these assholes.

Yes, even if you buy it outright you're still paying the same price you would each month as if you had a contract, but as in my case, it's a lot cheaper to do what I did and buy outright to retain an old plan.

Fuck cell phone companies and their shady shit. First it was voice plans, then texting when they saw how popular that was, now it's data. They push and push for people to buy smart phones, newer, faster, and then bitch and moan and say they don't have the bandwidth. Bull fucking shit. As to them throttling people on unlimited plans, fuck them. People agreed to pay a price for UNLIMITED service then these assholes change the terms. Data plans are nothing but a way for these asshole cell companies to pad their coffers. Fuck them for fucking ALL of their customers when they claim that what, only 2% of users use more than 2Gb per month. Instead of penalizing those big bad meanies who "abuse" UNLIMITED data, they'll just fuck over everyone, because why? It makes them more money, that's why!

Now I know I committed a sin and didn't suck the corporate cock and spoke unfavorably about a business and their business practices. I know I will now face the wrath of the heroic defenders of the American way, the capitalistic, conservative, patriotic real Americans who will trip over themselves to gobble at the corporate cock to show everyone they're a bigger and better capitalist than the next guy. I know, I should start my own cell phone company because "it's their business, their rules."
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Don't buy a new phone on a discounted renewal.  I paid full price for my Note III.
View Quote
So where's the best place to buy something like a Note III?  

Anyone have any recommendations for models on Ebay?  I like the removable batteries on the Samsungs.  

Current models of USED phones are selling for $300+ on Ebay.  I've had some bad experience buying used electronics on Ebay.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top