Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 81
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped going to my local ranges USPSA matches

there is something going on there that isnt right.
the last match I shot was in august, it was my 2nd match. Im not a registered USPSA member or anything I just show up and shoot.

I shot a great match that day. Fast and accurate. I ended up finishing 2nd in production with about 15 guys shooting
Right behind one of the A class shooters so I was stoked.

So on the local forums I noticed the guy who does all the registration and posting just posted the results on the forum (copy and pasted) but they never made it to practiscore where I review the stages

I talked to a couple of the other guys and it seems that when the "regulars" or the guys who have been shooting a while who are supposed to be good dont do well the results get posted to the forums and never go on practiscore
When they get asked about it they say "the results were uploaded, maybe practiscore is having web problems"

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the last match I shot was in august, it was my 2nd match. Im not a registered USPSA member or anything I just show up and shoot.

I shot a great match that day. Fast and accurate. I ended up finishing 2nd in production with about 15 guys shooting

So on the local forums I noticed the guy who does all the registration and posting just posted the results on the forum (copy and pasted) but they never made it to practiscore where I review the stages

I talked to a couple of the other guys and it seems that when the "regulars" or the guys who have been shooting a while who are supposed to be good dont do well the results get posted to the forums and never go on practiscore
When they get asked about it they say "the results were uploaded, maybe practiscore is having web problems"

View Quote

Ask for your money back. You paid for a USPSA match, not an outlaw match. Inform HQ of what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you shooting the Ohio match?

I'll end up having to work that weekend so I'll be signing up to shoot on staff day.   I'll also be there to help with setup the day before.
View Quote

I will be shooting it, but not working it this year. Not sure which day - I'm going to see what everybody else up here is doing this weekend and get squared away.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did make a frame weight but the rail attachment is not that great.  It's an older Streamlight and will not stay on the gun while rapid firing.  I need to find a junked light with a bolt to clamp on instead of the spring loaded clip like the one I have.
View Quote

Oh thanks for the info.  I've been wanting to try it, but not sure if it's really worth the cost of the light plus a new holster.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would suggest starting in Singlestack with your 1911 or downloading your .40s to shoot minor power factor and shoot Production.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife told me I should look into shooting games, ie USPSA or IDPA.  Have mostly 1911 pistols in 45acp, but also have an M&P and XDM in 40.  Going to be looking more into this in the month or so till things pick up again.  Will have to see if I can get my boss in on it too.

Check out a YouTube channel called the power factor show.  They have probably like 200 plus videos now, but they should have at least 2 or 3 videos dealing with newbies going to their first matches.

Will do, already pulled it up.  At least one club isn't doing anything until March locally, so I have time to work on my reloading ammo for it, and some brushing up on shooting.
I would suggest starting in Singlestack with your 1911 or downloading your .40s to shoot minor power factor and shoot Production.  

Do many shoot different pistols to be in different classes or do they just stick with one usually?  How competitive is single stack?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do many shoot different pistols to be in different classes or do they just stick with one usually?  How competitive is single stack?
View Quote

Depends.  Many of the more "serious" competitors stick to one division or at least type of gun.  I get bored shooting the same gun all the time so switch between a few divisions depending on what I want to shoot and what major matches are coming up.  To start I wouldn't keep switching guns every single match though.

And unless you really prefer shooting the 1911, I'd suggest starting in Limited with one of your .40s.  Stage planning is more difficult when shooting divisions with lower capacity (Single Stack and Production).  It'll be easier your first few matches if you can load up your mags and have fewer reloads.  Most new shooters aren't very good about planning their reloads and it's always entertaining to watch them look surprised every time their gun runs dry and they have to do a standing reload .

Single Stack division seems to be very regional; very popular in some places and not at all in others.  If you know the names of your local clubs, look up past matches there on practiscore to see how many shooters were in each division.

Also, divisions are based on the type of gun you're using; classes are based on the shooters classification.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends.  Many of the more "serious" competitors stick to one division or at least type of gun.  I get bored shooting the same gun all the time so switch between a few divisions depending on what I want to shoot and what major matches are coming up.  To start I wouldn't keep switching guns every single match though.
View Quote

I recently filled my card - classified in all divisions.

I stick to the same platform - CZ, or a derivative for Open (as they don't make one in the proper caliber). The only exception is of course Single-Stack.

I jump around quite a bit, but also settle down and focus, particularly during key match season. I was going to be focused on Open last year until that gun went down, and didn't have it back running until the fall. While waiting, I was shooting some SS but mainly Prod. When CO came up, I switched to that for a while, but am back to Prod now, in part because I just got both of those guns worked over again. After I settle on a new 38SC load here soon, I plan on sticking with Open fairly exclusively through to the end of the summer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I stick to the same platform - CZ, or a derivative for Open (as they don't make one in the proper caliber). The only exception is of course Single-Stack.

I jump around quite a bit, but also settle down and focus, particularly during key match season. I was going to be focused on Open last year until that gun went down, and didn't have it back running until the fall. While waiting, I was shooting some SS but mainly Prod. When CO came up, I switched to that for a while, but am back to Prod now, in part because I just got both of those guns worked over again. After I settle on a new 38SC load here soon, I plan on sticking with Open fairly exclusively through to the end of the summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CZ makes a revolver?    Actually you could technically use a "CZ" for Single Stack if you get a Dan Wesson .  That's what our local CZ sponsored shooters do.

I have some friends who also want to be classified in every division; some are shooting Production guns in Carry Optics just to get the classifiers.  I have no plans to ever get classified in Revolver or L10 and don't see Open happening anytime soon for me.

I shoot all Glocks for Production, Limited, and Carry Optics, but same deal as you obviously with Single Stack, using a Trojan for that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CZ makes a revolver?    Actually you could technically use a "CZ" for Single Stack if you get a Dan Wesson
View Quote

They did just revive the Dan Wesson revolver line. But in my case, I borrowed a friend's old 625 (and rig) to shoot a special classifier last month. I own some revolvers, but nothing appropriate for USPSA, and I have no intention of getting in to that division.

For SStk I run a Colt.

Otherwise I have two Production guns (75B .40 and SP-01 Shadow 9mm), a CO gun (Compact 9mm w/ Deltapoint), a Limited gun (TS .40), and an Open gun (Tanfo custom .38SC).
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The Tac Sport is really nice, I kinda want one, but the grip is so huge and I'm too heavily invested in Glocks.

Yeah my only revolver definitely wouldn't be good for USPSA either...a J frame.  I did once shoot it for an entire steel challenge match against two friends with theirs.  That was fun, only 5 shots so can't ever miss!  I came in last .  Although in my defense the other two are revolver shooters and one's a revo GM.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Guess I need to get out and practice and see what I'm best with now. Hope the weather warms up soon
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Battle in the Bluegrass registration up at 8pm

http://bgslinc.com/2016-battle-in-the-bluegrass-vii/
View Quote

Not going to be able to make it again this year. Last year I skipped it to focus on Open, and then my Open gun went down. This year, though I've been shooting Prod a lot lately, I can't get the necessary vacation day for BITBG (since it's Saturday only, and requires a pretty decent drive).
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think it's a decent drive for me and I'm a lot closer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to be able to make it again this year. Last year I skipped it to focus on Open, and then my Open gun went down. This year, though I've been shooting Prod a lot lately, I can't get the necessary vacation day for BITBG (since it's Saturday only, and requires a pretty decent drive).

What's considered a "decent" drive?

A little under 3 hours for me
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not far for a major match!  I wish there were more major matches within 3 hours of me
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's not far for a major match!  I wish there were more major matches within 3 hours of me
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  I have to fly to most of the majors I attend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Pro tip: talking back to comments from the peanut gallery during your run instead of focusing on shooting isn't a good idea.

Bombed the second stage last night doing just that, and the remaining stage wins still weren't enough to make up for it. I was told I still looked good doing it, but wouldn't know as that was the one stage I forgot to get video of (now that I finally started remembering to bring my little HD camcorder).

General performance has convinced me to finally move back away from all-black sights, though. Now running a (self-made) brass bead front on my .40 minor gun. Will be doing the same with the rest of them, most likely, but I've got plenty of time, as I'm going back to Open very soon. (WAC has now won out as my new powder of choice.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Almost exactly 3hrs

Most of the locals I like to go are abou 1.5hrs.  

3hrs one way is a decent drive for someone who works some weekends and doesn't try to spend a whole bunch of time away from the wife and kids.
View Quote

6 hours here. Too much for me to do after work on Friday and then have to get up to shoot Saturday. I may shoot OH Saturday, because I can manage that drive after work without getting in super late. Anything else this year will have to be Sunday.

The locals I go to are all less than an hour away.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Forgot to post this last week, but I didn't do so hot on my match last Saturday. Finished lower mid-pack and I had a lot of misses and bad hits. I also skipped the last stage because I had to get home.

My movements, draw, reloads, etc. all seem to be quick enough to compete with most people, but my actual shooting needs work. I normally get 1 sight picture per 2 trigger pulls, so I need to work on that second sight picture.

I also need to work on staying relaxed and not scrunching my shoulders/body up, and for some reason I'm in a bad habit of closing my left eye halfway when I start shooting which really limits my vision.

When I catch myself doing this, I can loosen up and open my eyes, and everything feels better. But in the middle of a stage, I don't always catch myself. Gotta work on relaxing and shooting slower so I can get 2 solid sight pictures.

On an unrelated note, my club is testing out the PCC division so now I need a 5" 9mm upper for my lower to play around with that.

It was funny seeing guys used to shooting competition but not used to building lots of ARs. They all had their expensive JP Precision 9mm AR builds....with Holosuns and other cheap optics.

They obviously do NOT train the way they fight. Tier 3, man.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
PCC sounds like so much fun.  My local club did a carbine side match last month using the USPSA stages from the previous weekend and a couple longer range targets added in.  They scored PCC and 5.56 minor and 7.62 major IIRC (though I don't think anyone shot major).  It sounded like a lot of fun, but I couldn't make it due to family holiday plans.

I shot a classifier only match earlier this month.  I got a stage win (my first)...though it was only 68.47% (09-14 Eye of the Tiger).  I shot fairly well on a couple stages and terrible on the rest.  Managed to wipe out my 8.85% score on 99-63 Mearle's Standards and get an initial classification in C class.  I'm not great by any means, but I really suck at shooting classifiers.  On longer courses I feel like I make up for shooting a little slower by getting good hits (usually 90-95% of points) and running between shooting positions.  I see so many people spray bullets like mad then WALK the 10 yards to the next port. I've been focusing on classifier type stuff a lot in dry fire lately, so we'll see how it goes.  I've also been working on drawing/transitioning onto more challenging targets (using a 2" circle at the length of the bonus room).  Trying to develop the ability to "snap" the gun to exactly where I want it.

Then I drank a bunch of the Kool Aid and bought a 2011.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.

This thread cannot die!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bump.

This thread cannot die!
View Quote

Who are you again?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone know where to get Ghost 360 mag pouch spare bodies or springs besides Shooters Connection? They only sell the black replacement bodies, and they are out of stock on springs with no ETA.

I'm going through some serious withdrawals right now. Winter weather killed my match last weekend and with work I have basically Mid-March at best to look forward to for shooting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Forgot to post this last week, but I didn't do so hot on my match last Saturday. Finished lower mid-pack and I had a lot of misses and bad hits. I also skipped the last stage because I had to get home.

My movements, draw, reloads, etc. all seem to be quick enough to compete with most people, but my actual shooting needs work. I normally get 1 sight picture per 2 trigger pulls, so I need to work on that second sight picture.

I also need to work on staying relaxed and not scrunching my shoulders/body up, and for some reason I'm in a bad habit of closing my left eye halfway when I start shooting which really limits my vision.

When I catch myself doing this, I can loosen up and open my eyes, and everything feels better. But in the middle of a stage, I don't always catch myself. Gotta work on relaxing and shooting slower so I can get 2 solid sight pictures.

On an unrelated note, my club is testing out the PCC division so now I need a 5" 9mm upper for my lower to play around with that.

It was funny seeing guys used to shooting competition but not used to building lots of ARs. They all had their expensive JP Precision 9mm AR builds....with Holosuns and other cheap optics.

They obviously do NOT train the way they fight. Tier 3, man.
View Quote

You're double tapping targets rather than calling every shot. You must call EVERY shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Results should be uploaded to USPSA website if it is an affiliated club.  If they are not being uploaded to the USPSA site in addition to Practiscore, they are not paying classifier and activity fees to HQ.  HQ would definitely want to know about this if this is an affiliated club.

Most clubs around here upload to Practiscore initially as it's quick since all of the clubs use it for scoring. Then another file gets generated through EZwin score and that gets uploaded to USPSA site later.

Is this an outlaw match?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Which part are you looking for?  I use my Ghosts bullets out so if you broke one of the normal ones I might be able to help.
View Quote

Same here, and I have several springs and white screws left that I dont use. Maybe between the two of us we can at least get him those. My pouches are green so I doubt that'll work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

about 2 hours for me, I may have to hit this one I need to brush up a little this big snowstorm hasnt allowed me to shoot.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Results should be uploaded to USPSA website if it is an affiliated club.  If they are not being uploaded to the USPSA site in addition to Practiscore, they are not paying classifier and activity fees to HQ.  HQ would definitely want to know about this if this is an affiliated club.

Most clubs around here upload to Practiscore initially as it's quick since all of the clubs use it for scoring. Then another file gets generated through EZwin score and that gets uploaded to USPSA site later.

Is this an outlaw match?

To my knowledge its an official affiliated club.
I looked up some of the members USPSA numbers and on the official site it has some classifiers and matches from the gun club posted. but not all of them....
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same here, and I have several springs and white screws left that I dont use. Maybe between the two of us we can at least get him those. My pouches are green so I doubt that'll work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which part are you looking for?  I use my Ghosts bullets out so if you broke one of the normal ones I might be able to help.

No didn't break any, but thanks a ton for the help. I bought two sets of pouches and some of the ELS forks a guy on BENOS hosted on shapeways. I think they're going to work out but want to stick with the traditional caddy position for now. Since I don't need the belt loops I was thinking of buying just the body and spare springs.

Thanks again for offering though. It's always one of the first things I tell people getting into the sport; some of the nicest people on earth I have met through the shooting sports.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
January BOD Meeting Minutes

New rules on Carry Optics...  which keep me from shooting it in the classifier match like I was thinking about

View Quote

Planning to shoot it with your Production rig?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New rules on Carry Optics...  which keep me from shooting it in the classifier match like I was thinking about

I was gonna do the same thing
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]
My Accu-Shadow with a RMR on it should come in at 42.6 ounces.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep... I guess not anymore.

I was thinking of that or L10.  But I might feel wrong shooting L10.  It I could skip the classifier match and practice instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep... I guess not anymore.

I was thinking of that or L10.  But I might feel wrong shooting L10.  It I could skip the classifier match and practice instead.

One of the guys I shoot with shot Open with a stock G34 for a classifier only match recently.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Huh Sherwyn Greenfield is going to stay as VP, neat. I used to shoot local matches with him, oak tree of a man, really nice dude.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except for the fact that I doubt a RMR will actually mount properly on a CZ slide (meaning a real CZ, not one of those polymer things).

When I set up a gun for CO, I also did it as an actual carry option. I wanted to go with a RMR for that reason, but all of the dimensions I could get said that there would only be a few thou on either side of the bolt holes, if that. The 07/09 is fine because the slide is significantly wider - those flare out wider than the internal rails, while the regular slides are even with the rails.

I am running a Deltapoint on my Compact (which is of course now not competitive at all in CO), currently in the triangle (delta) flavor - I actually want to swap to the dot, now that I've finally had a chance to see one in person. (According to spec, it's only 3.5 MOA, but in person it seemed very close to my 6 MOA C-More.)
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Except for the fact that I doubt a RMR will actually mount properly on a CZ slide (meaning a real CZ, not one of those polymer things).

When I set up a gun for CO, I also did it as an actual carry option. I wanted to go with a RMR for that reason, but all of the dimensions I could get said that there would only be a few thou on either side of the bolt holes, if that. The 07/09 is fine because the slide is significantly wider - those flare out wider than the internal rails, while the regular slides are even with the rails.

I am running a Deltapoint on my Compact (which is of course now not competitive at all in CO), currently in the triangle (delta) flavor - I actually want to swap to the dot, now that I've finally had a chance to see one in person. (According to spec, it's only 3.5 MOA, but in person it seemed very close to my 6 MOA C-More.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Springer Precision makes a dove tail mount so I won't have to mill the slide.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Springer Precision makes a dove tail mount so I won't have to mill the slide.
View Quote

Pfft. Dovetail mounts are lame.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Back to Open.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Man I wish we had indoor stages...that looks like so much fun. I think a night match would be even better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Man I wish we had indoor stages...that looks like so much fun. I think a night match would be even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Weekends alternate between USPSA and Defensive Pistol (unofficial IDPA). We used to often do low- or no-light stages on the defensive nights, but haven't in a long time. They've also put on a few light/laser matches.

Quoted:
That's much better than our indoor matches.   For the amount of room we have inside, they do well.

Our stages this time of year are actually dumbed down - easier shots, simpler starts, less in-and-out, fewer props. We often get 30+ shooters in the winter, so we have to try to keep things moving.

Spring and fall usually see the most complex setups, as it's when we have a fair number of shooters - not too many and not too few. We've got a few poppers, a swinger, and a pressure plate that all make their appearances most frequently in those seasons. We used to have a door as well - it's one prop I wish we had back (though I know why we haven't gotten another - it was a pain to deal with since we can't really anchor it).

Summers often suffer quite a bit in turnout, with everybody sticking to outdoor matches, especially given the many opportunities in the area. There are usually a couple of times in the summer when we don't have enough to actually shoot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Shooting Open indoors...my ears hurt just watching that video

You might want to tell your cameraman in the future not to get between you and the RO like he did on the first stage
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I guess your ammo budget kept you from renewing your team membership
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump.

This thread cannot die!

I guess your ammo budget kept you from renewing your team membership

lol, something like that.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top