Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 81
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
An interesting topic came up based on Ben stoeger's latest podcast. It's about metal vs plastic guns and the pros/cons. This got a discussion going that a metal striker fired gun would be the best of both worlds. I've been thinking this for years. Would love to have one even though I know it will never happen. Yea there's the kahr but it has that stupid ass trigger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An interesting topic came up based on Ben stoeger's latest podcast. It's about metal vs plastic guns and the pros/cons. This got a discussion going that a metal striker fired gun would be the best of both worlds. I've been thinking this for years. Would love to have one even though I know it will never happen. Yea there's the kahr but it has that stupid ass trigger.
View Quote

I'd buy a striker fired Stock II clone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the downside of USPSA not actively pursuing media attention (lack of TV time, etc).

If we had more limelight, hence more shooters, manufacturers would be more apt to play the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" game.

ETA I see this topic on come up a lot on Doodie.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered TTI fiber optic sights and a non-extended factory slide release for my G34.4

Not really going to get much live fire practice with my new G34.4 before area 5 next week.  I do hope to get to the pistol range at least one more time beforehand.

So far I like it though.  I have maybe 250 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's what I like to see on top of the combined

http://combinedresults.info/index.php/match/15448
View Quote
Nice work.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bet that hurt some people feelings. Production guy out shooting the open people. LOL
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bet that hurt some people feelings. Production guy out shooting the open people. LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're anything like the Open guys at my club, all it takes is a stock Glock and a functional brain and arms to beat them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Impressive
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If they're anything like the Open guys at my club, all it takes is a stock Glock and a functional brain and arms to beat them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've beaten a few higher classed (A, M) Open guys shooting my G35 in Limited before...because my gun worked and theirs didn't. Clearing malfunctions eats up a lot of time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]
So I ordered a scale from Cabelas, dial calipers from Bass Pro, bought a Lyman book at my local Scheels, made a deal for a pile of 115g 9mm, and ordered a Lee turret press from Kempfs Gun Shop.

Need a tumbler, powder, and primers to get started. Scheels has primers for $35 per thousand. And a variety of powders for $23 per pound and up.

I know I can get powder and primers cheaper online but the Hazmat fee sucks.

Biggest issue is powder. W.T.F. Why are there so many? The common ones are sold out everywhere and who knows which of the obscure ones work right. Little confused about what to do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I ordered a scale from Cabelas, dial calipers from Bass Pro, bought a Lyman book at my local Scheels, made a deal for a pile of 115g 9mm, and ordered a Lee turret press from Kempfs Gun Shop.

Need a tumbler, powder, and primers to get started. Scheels has primers for $35 per thousand. And a variety of powders for $23 per pound and up.

Biggest issue is powder. W.T.F. Why are there so many? The common ones are sold out everywhere and who knows which of the obscure ones work right. Little confused about what to do.
View Quote

when you order you just need to make sure your making the most of the haz mat fee last time I did an order it was for 15K of primers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

All you need to know is "Titegroup". Win 231/HP-38 (they're the same powder) is a good choice for 9mm as well.

$35 for primers is high, but I have to admit I've paid more. I paid $39.99 once when I really needed some.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Is anyone familiar with the "Baseball Standards" classifier? I'll be doing that one on Saturday. It looks tough.

The weak hand string, which is 6 shots at 15 yards with a 4.5 second par time looks especially challenging. Also, the 3 reload 3 at 25 yards with a 4.5 second par time will be tough. I doubt I can even get a shot off after the reload.

How do you approach these type of classifiers? Do you try to get all the shots off, because the misses are no penalty? Or what?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is anyone familiar with the "Baseball Standards" classifier? I'll be doing that one on Saturday. It looks tough.

The weak hand string, which is 6 shots at 15 yards with a 4.5 second par time looks especially challenging. Also, the 3 reload 3 at 25 yards with a 4.5 second par time will be tough. I doubt I can even get a shot off after the reload.

How do you approach these type of classifiers? Do you try to get all the shots off, because the misses are no penalty? Or what?
View Quote

This one is not that tough (provided you can shoot competently WHO/SHO), with the exception of string three (with mandatory reload).  It's better to make 3 sure alpha hits and ignore the reload instead of squirting a bunch of charlies and deltas and mikes.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

All you need to know is "Titegroup". Win 231/HP-38 (they're the same powder) is a good choice for 9mm as well.

$35 for primers is high, but I have to admit I've paid more. I paid $39.99 once when I really needed some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

Everyone makes a big stink about how dirty/smoky it is, especially with coated lead bullets, but I have not experienced this.  

My theory is that most people probably suck at reloading and are shaving lead during seating or are over-crimping and "breaking" the coating.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

Everyone makes a big stink about how dirty/smoky it is, especially with coated lead bullets, but I have not experienced this.  

My theory is that most people probably suck at reloading and are shaving lead during seating or are over-crimping and "breaking" the coating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

Finding either of those powder is an issue. Like hunting unicorns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

Titegroup has been popping up regularly in the usual places.  Keep an eye on gunbot and the "where to find" thread in our reloading forum.  Also the "where is all the powder" thread on Enos forum.

There are dozens of other powders that will also work for 9mm.  When you see a pistol powder in stock, do a Google search:  [insert powder name] minor power factor 9mm

Chances are high you'll find load data.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Titegroup has been popping up regularly in the usual places.  Keep an eye on gunbot and the "where to find" thread in our reloading forum.  Also the "where is all the powder" thread on Enos forum.

There are dozens of other powders that will also work for 9mm.  When you see a pistol powder in stock, do a Google search:  [insert powder name] minor power factor 9mm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

Nice. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Titegroup.

I haven't had those issues either.  I've been very happy with it in both 40 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am fortunate that there is a store about 45 minutes from me that almost always has both.  This place (Shooter's Warehouse in Cullman, AL) has more powder than I've ever seen in one place anywhere else, and their prices are quite good.  I don't know how he does it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This one is not that tough (provided you can shoot competently WHO/SHO), with the exception of string three (with mandatory reload).  It's better to make 3 sure alpha hits and ignore the reload instead of squirting a bunch of charlies and deltas and mikes.  Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That what I was thinking. I may just try to get 3 good shots off and skip the reload.

I've been working on my one handed shooting. Unfortunately, my weak hand shots go to the left bad. I'm left handed.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That what I was thinking. I may just try to get 3 good shots off and skip the reload.

I've been working on my one handed shooting. Unfortunately, my weak hand shots go to the left bad. I'm left handed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When your shooting WHO are you tensing up your whole hand when you pull the trigger?  I'm a left handed shooter and I used to have the same problem until I really worked on weak hand trigger control.  What I would do on baseball standards is take my time on strings 1,2,4. You should have plenty of time to get real good hits as long as you get a good draw/transition over to your weak hand.  On string 3 I would really try and pick up the pace and make all six shots and sacrifice a little accuracy.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone shooting Area 5 next week?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Pipe bombs are cool despite what AJ Party Pooper E says
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've never reloaded, but wouldn't 147gr of powder go kaboom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try some 147gr bombswith a nice fast powder (Like Red Dot, Bullseye, Titegroup, WST, something in that range.

USUALLY If you can't find a powder that you want, you can look on the burn rate chart and find something close to it.

DO NOT make up charge weights based on that, only use it to help as a selection guide.

I've never reloaded, but wouldn't 147gr of powder go kaboom?

That sounds like a lot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#32]
If he manages to fit 147 gr of powder into a 9mm case, I'm genuinely impressed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Edited

You might want to edit yours so the new guy doesn't get confused and blow himself up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited

You might want to edit yours so the new guy doesn't get confused and blow himself up

Glock grenade jokes are old and overdone....but....welll....
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Typo, edit that out and erase it from your memory

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/wettner/mib-memory-eraser_zps07d5307e.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a lot.

Typo, edit that out and erase it from your memory

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/wettner/mib-memory-eraser_zps07d5307e.jpg

I knew what you meant.

Can't miss an opportunity to nip at the heels of the biggest dog though.

I'm not obligated to buy the 115g stuff. I have a few 147 to start with. Gonna buy 1000 primers and a pound of powder tonight.

Need to keep my budget under control. I got a bonus check and some gift cards I am doing this with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I think next I'm gonna buy a motorcycle to save on gas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Anyone shooting Area 5 next week?
View Quote
I am.  Most likely I will work the match on Saturday and Sunday and will shoot Friday. It's only 20 minutes from my house.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I got the TTI fiber optic sights installed on my G34. They look nice.

I used the brownells front sight tool and blue locktite. The day after I installed them I put 100 rounds through it to check poa/poi.

When I got home I noticed the front sight was loose.  So I backed out the screw and re-locktited it.

It's going to suck if I lose the front sight during the match. Kind of worried.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I used the brownells front sight tool and blue locktite. The day after I installed them I put 100 rounds through it to check poa/poi.
When I got home I noticed the front sight was loose.  So I backed out the screw and re-locktited it.
View Quote

my TTI sight wobbled loose too, seemed after every couple hundred it would be slightly loose.

then I ordered this
more blue loctite and I cranked it down (reasonable amount of force) never been lose since
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
my TTI sight wobbled loose too, seemed after every couple hundred it would be slightly loose.

then I ordered this

more blue loctite and I cranked it down (reasonable amount of force) never been lose since
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

then I ordered this

I put more locktite on and tightened as much as I could with the tool. I hope that is all I needed.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I should (hopefully) be back to shooting Open this weekend.

And the slide on CZ Compact #2 will be getting sent off in the next day or two to get set up for Carry Optics...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

And the slide on CZ Compact #2 will be getting sent off in the next day or two to get set up for Carry Optics...
View Quote

gross.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I locktite it and use a pair of pliers to take it just past what I can do with my hand on the sight tool.

This is what it will look like occasionally when you know you're getting enough practice:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_201824_zps6w3uuwzn.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

then I ordered this

I put more locktite on and tightened as much as I could with the tool. I hope that is all I needed.  

I locktite it and use a pair of pliers to take it just past what I can do with my hand on the sight tool.

This is what it will look like occasionally when you know you're getting enough practice:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_201824_zps6w3uuwzn.jpg

That's fine so long as the blade stays on!  lol

I am averaging about 700-1000 rounds a month between league and monthly matches.  I'm getting there.

I know that's clown shoes in round count compared to some, but that's more than double for me from previous years.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

1000 a month isn't shabby at all.
View Quote

I'd love to shoot that much.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you degrease it before applying the loctite?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Thinking about shooting in my first comp in Sept....

Really wish we had IDPA in the area.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I finally managed to set aside enough time (I just moved) to start Stoeger's dry-fire training and made a monthly calendar for it.

These part times are ROUGH!!!

I've already seen some tenth's shaved off my draw and reloads in 3 days of work though.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top