Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 81
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So at my local USPSA match a kid wins overall while shooting blazing fast and having misses . Would you care to defend and explain the scoring system that rewards a fast miss over a hit ? I shot mid pack on one stage (13 out of 26) and about 5 from the bottom on the other yet in the final tally I end up 3 from last . I shot major . I was complimented on my accuracy by a couple of the regulars .
View Quote

Accuracy, speed, power. Maybe bullseye competition would be more your style.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So at my local USPSA match a kid wins overall while shooting blazing fast and having misses . Would you care to defend and explain the scoring system that rewards a fast miss over a hit ? I shot mid pack on one stage (13 out of 26) and about 5 from the bottom on the other yet in the final tally I end up 3 from last . I shot major . I was complimented on my accuracy by a couple of the regulars .
View Quote

Hit Factor scoring.

Your total points are divided by your time = your hit factor.

Every required hit on a target that is a miss is minus 10 points.  Where as every required hit is a maximum score of 5 points.

So basically if you run blazing fast through a stage and have a miss or two you might win the stage.

It comes down to how much accuracy can you give up for a little speed.   Remember the clock is EATING your shot points.

Pick your poison.

Many USPSA shooters can shoot Alphas all day long and so can anyone else.  It's speed that makes the competitive part about it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Shot my first match in over a year

I sucked but got better as the match went along.

My own fault because I did not get any range time with my
G34 before the match.

I shot one stage with my G19 just for fun, I did better with the G19 prob
because It's my carry gun and I shoot it monthly.

The best thing about shooting the match was that I realized how much I missed
shooting USPSA.

So if you have not attended a match in a while, get out there and do it !!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/_H7lwzMeWbo

Trigger freeze got me on the last stage or it would have really kicked ass
View Quote

nice shooting.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they complemented your accuracy, that's a polite way of saying you went too slow.

USPSA emphasizes speed a little more than accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Club match today.

22 Production shooters

Place:  1st

5th/68 combined.  I also shot 71% and 78% on the classifiers.
View Quote

Nicely done!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice Job AJE.

I wanted to shoot today.  But couldn't.  Had a nice day at the beach with wife and dag instead.  Which was great too!
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's the whole match

https://youtu.be/KAO3JEBQLfs
View Quote

Well done, sir.

Is that a GoPro you are running?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here's the whole match

View Quote
So I imagine you make a plan when you do your walk through before you shoot.  How close to you plan do you usually stick with?  Or does it usually all go out the window and you just shoot?

Do you memorize where all of the targets are and get your footwork down?  Or are you just moving and scanning when the timer starts?

I haven't shot any of the bigger stages outside yet.  The smaller indoor stages seem fairly simple to plan out and stick with it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you want to do well you have to get a plan together and stick with it.  I try to walk through several times visualize it several times before I go.  

There is something to the phrase "A crappy plan executed perfectly is better than a great plan executed poorly"

A good example of that falling apart was stage 4... I missed on the steel too many times and went to slide lock twice, causing unplanned slide lock reloads and screwing up my last array (the last two targets I leaned out and took around a wall when I could have just stood where I was a couple steps before).  That was a scatter brain moment.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the whole match

So I imagine you make a plan when you do your walk through before you shoot.  How close to you plan do you usually stick with?  Or does it usually all go out the window and you just shoot?

Do you memorize where all of the targets are and get your footwork down?  Or are you just moving and scanning when the timer starts?

I haven't shot any of the bigger stages outside yet.  The smaller indoor stages seem fairly simple to plan out and stick with it.

If you want to do well you have to get a plan together and stick with it.  I try to walk through several times visualize it several times before I go.  

There is something to the phrase "A crappy plan executed perfectly is better than a great plan executed poorly"

A good example of that falling apart was stage 4... I missed on the steel too many times and went to slide lock twice, causing unplanned slide lock reloads and screwing up my last array (the last two targets I leaned out and took around a wall when I could have just stood where I was a couple steps before).  That was a scatter brain moment.  

I was looking at a few layouts online of some bigger stages wondering how the heck I would remember where every target was posted.  It seemed like a lot to plan out and stick to.  Maybe walking through in real life would make it seem less busy.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Im hoping to make a few USPSA matches this year and put the limited gun (avatar) to use. There are a lot of matches on the Indiana Multigun series this year, so they may be a little hard to coordinate but I should be able to hit a few.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#24]
We shot yesterday. Working bugs out and trying our new gun and holsters. Funny how much improvement 100 rounds makes. She shot with her left hand for the first time. April 19? I think that's our first match.

Not sure if we can make it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Funny how much improvement 100 rounds makes.
View Quote

I think this is also applies for people that don't shoot much at all. I took my dad out a few weeks ago because he rarely shoots at all, much less practices his draw (CCW, not competition). We worked on drawing, proper grip, presentation, and some basic moving around and shooting among/behind cover. In only 50-100 rounds, he was already improving a noticeable amount on speed, accuracy, and self-confidence. It goes to show how important practice is and how important it is to stay sharp.

My next match is April 18th. I reallllllly need a 34 to replace my 19. What's the quickest way to make $600? Maybe I'll just whore myself out this week.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think this is also applies for people that don't shoot much at all. I took my dad out a few weeks ago because he rarely shoots at all, much less practices his draw (CCW, not competition). We worked on drawing, proper grip, presentation, and some basic moving around and shooting among/behind cover. In only 50-100 rounds, he was already improving a noticeable amount on speed, accuracy, and self-confidence. It goes to show how important practice is and how important it is to stay sharp.

My next match is April 18th. I reallllllly need a 34 to replace my 19. What's the quickest way to make $600? Maybe I'll just whore myself out this week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See sigline.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

See sigline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See sigline.

That's also on my priority list...higher than a 34, too. It's a daily battle not to sell my M1A for a PVS-14. College budgets suck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's also on my priority list...higher than a 34, too. It's a daily battle not to sell my M1A for a PVS-14. College budgets suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See sigline.

I've got enough holsters and unused/new parts in the war room to easily get that much money together. But alas, Im too lazy to dig everything out and take pics/post.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got enough holsters and unused/new parts in the war room to easily get that much money together. But alas, Im too lazy to dig everything out and take pics/post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See sigline.

PM me your address--I'll make a trip to pick up and sell everything for you. You won't even know it's all missing.

My spare parts bin can fit inside a gallon-sized baggie. I sell literally everything I don't need or don't use to buy things I do need.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Finally got a Bladetech holster for my Glock.  I had been using the $12 Glock sport holster since it was the only OWB holster I had for a Glock with no weapon light attached.  

They kept making fun of me and telling me I was too good for that shitty holster.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Finally got a Bladetech holster for my Glock.  I had been using the $12 Glock sport holster since it was the only OWB holster I had for a Glock with no weapon light attached.  
They kept making fun of me and telling me I was too good for that shitty holster.
View Quote

If you've ever pulled a trigger before, then you're too good for that kind of holster.

Same with the XD holsters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Shooting fast at those partials does not look easy...is there a lot of misses generally or do most people get a's or c's?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]
We have a Shoot here in Winnemucca NV tomorrow....cant wait what a blast
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't say it rewards a fast miss over a hit.  

Hit factor is a combination of points and time.  If he has one miss, it is essentially -15points...10pt penalty for the miss and the loss of 5 potential points for an A zone hit.  On a 5HF stage, one miss is the equivalent of 3 seconds to score an A zone hit.  3 seconds to score an A zone hit is WAY to slow.

This game is about speed AND accuracy.  Speed without accuracy is useless as is accuracy without speed.  DVC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
In major, a C/B instead of an A is practically negligible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say it rewards a fast miss over a hit.  

Hit factor is a combination of points and time.  If he has one miss, it is essentially -15points...10pt penalty for the miss and the loss of 5 potential points for an A zone hit.  On a 5HF stage, one miss is the equivalent of 3 seconds to score an A zone hit.  3 seconds to score an A zone hit is WAY to slow.

This game is about speed AND accuracy.  Speed without accuracy is useless as is accuracy without speed.  DVC.

In major, a C/B instead of an A is practically negligible.

Agreed.  But what's your point?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can miss fast enough?

View Quote

Or just take advantage of a poorly designed stage and not activate a target.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#43]
So this has been a fascinating read.  I shot a USPSA match after getting the weekend wrong, and showing up at my local gun club expecting to shoot an IDPA (of which I hadn't shot that either) match.  This was back in 2000, I stuck with it for two years, before I had to give it up due to finances.  I want to get back in, but I don't want to have to buy a new gun right away.  I know I need to buy a holster, mag holder, and probably a new belt (though my 1.5 inch duty belt should set me for a while).  I'm curious as to what would be my better one to start off with.  I have my HK USP .45 (my old USPSA gun), HK VP9, Browning Hi Power 9mm (I need to get a different hammer to cure the hammer bite), or my 1911 as viable candidates.  My other guns, though I shoot them more, they're either impractical to use for USPSA, or to expensive/difficult to repair or replace if something happens.  I'm quite comfortable with all four of them.  The USP .45 and the VP9 I have 5 mags each for them.  The BHP and the 1911, I'd have to pick up mags.  If I ran the USP, I'd probably run in production major since I only have 10 round mags for that.  The VP9 I'd run limited minor, the 1911 would be single stack major, and the BHP would be limited minor I guess.  Of those four possibilities, which would you guys run?  If I decide to get serious about this again, I'm torn as to sign up for the GSSF and get blue label price on a G17 or go with something else.  I really have no desire to pick up another caliber.  Also in regards to holsters, I tried reading the rules on it, but I'm not quite clear on the legalities of a convertible OWB/IWB holster.  I know you have to run OWB, but would something like TT Gunleather's convertible pancake be something to run?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The HK would really only be good to shoot in L10.  Limited you're going to take a hit on the capacity and, unless you load some powder puff .45 loads, you might as well get the benefit of major scoring instead of shooting it in Production (which is only scored minor regardless of your actual power factor).

VP9 = Production

Hi Power...   I haven't had one, but I don't remember if they are single action only (Single Stack?) or DA/SA (Production).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have my HK USP .45 (my old USPSA gun), HK VP9, Browning Hi Power 9mm (I need to get a different hammer to cure the hammer bite), or my 1911 as viable candidates.

The HK would really only be good to shoot in L10.  Limited you're going to take a hit on the capacity and, unless you load some powder puff .45 loads, you might as well get the benefit of major scoring instead of shooting it in Production (which is only scored minor regardless of your actual power factor).

VP9 = Production

Hi Power...   I haven't had one, but I don't remember if they are single action only (Single Stack?) or DA/SA (Production).

Hi Power is a double stack single action.  What's the reasoning behind running the VP9 in production vs limited?  The fact that all production is minor vs the 15 round mag?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So this has been a fascinating read.  I shot a USPSA match after getting the weekend wrong, and showing up at my local gun club expecting to shoot an IDPA (of which I hadn't shot that either) match.  This was back in 2000, I stuck with it for two years, before I had to give it up due to finances.  I want to get back in, but I don't want to have to buy a new gun right away.  I know I need to buy a holster, mag holder, and probably a new belt (though my 1.5 inch duty belt should set me for a while).  I'm curious as to what would be my better one to start off with.  I have my HK USP .45 (my old USPSA gun), HK VP9, Browning Hi Power 9mm (I need to get a different hammer to cure the hammer bite), or my 1911 as viable candidates.  My other guns, though I shoot them more, they're either impractical to use for USPSA, or to expensive/difficult to repair or replace if something happens.  I'm quite comfortable with all four of them.  The USP .45 and the VP9 I have 5 mags each for them.  The BHP and the 1911, I'd have to pick up mags.  If I ran the USP, I'd probably run in production major since I only have 10 round mags for that.  The VP9 I'd run limited minor, the 1911 would be single stack major, and the BHP would be limited minor I guess.  Of those four possibilities, which would you guys run?  If I decide to get serious about this again, I'm torn as to sign up for the GSSF and get blue label price on a G17 or go with something else.  I really have no desire to pick up another caliber.  Also in regards to holsters, I tried reading the rules on it, but I'm not quite clear on the legalities of a convertible OWB/IWB holster.  I know you have to run OWB, but would something like TT Gunleather's convertible pancake be something to run?
View Quote

If I had a VP9 and had 5 or 6 mags for it, I would shoot production with it.

If I only had 2 or 3 VP9 mags, then I would shoot limited minor and load all the mags all the way up.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top