Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
In light of the NFL and now everyone else making a big deal about concussions, I'm curious where people are at.

Some of us grew up being told, "Shake off the cob webs and get back out there!" I am in this group.

For those who don't know, in sports concussions are generally graded in 3 categories.

1) no loss of consciousness, but concussion symptoms which last less than 15 min.

2) no loss of consciousness, but concussion symptoms last more than 15 min.

3) loss of consciousness immediately puts you in this category, no matter how brief and whether you have symptoms afterwards or not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Twice I hit my head hard enough to taste metal in my mouth
Don't know what that is about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if any of them were true concussions but I've had to "Shake off the cob webs" dozens of times during high school football.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Where does a TBI fall on that scale?  I've had my bell rung and concussions from IEDs according to my medics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
First one was the worst, kid ran into me at recess in 5th grade.  Felt like shit for about 2 hours, then started puking as soon as I would stand up.

Couple hockey related ones, none were too bad.

One was a baseball bat backswing to the nose, pretty sure I got a concussion, but the broken bridge of my nose was more of a concern.  Never bled so much in my life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a first hand view of this.

football player with 1 season in NFL
2nd impact concussion survivor in college

diagnosed with "areas of non-specific signaling" in my brain as a result of repeated severe concussion.  I stopped playing ball due to it.  have had severe migraines and short term memory issues since my mid 20's.

It was very common to get the buzzing,  or light flares,  be up and running in the next play.  Happened several times a game. I had two bad concussions in college, one right after another and wound up in the hospital for a week. Then had a severe concussion in the off season after my first year in the NFL>

I wish we knew then what we know now. That being said, I'd do it again.  I hope they make improvements to helmets to protect the brains of players, while preserving the elemental speed and violence of the game. Without that, it's not football......
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure if any of them were true concussions but I've had to "Shake off the cob webs" dozens of times during high school football.
View Quote

those are probably grade 1 concussion. If you have any loss of cognitive function after an impact, you're looking at a concussion, even if it's minor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where does a TBI fall on that scale?  I've had my bell rung and concussions from IEDs according to my medics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Concussions are considered mTBI or mild traumatic brain injury.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/traumatic-brain-injury/basics/definition/con-20029302

Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Traumatic brain injury occurs when an external mechanical force causes brain dysfunction.

Traumatic brain injury usually results from a violent blow or jolt to the head or body. An object penetrating the skull, such as a bullet or shattered piece of skull, also can cause traumatic brain injury.

Mild traumatic brain injury may cause temporary dysfunction of brain cells. More serious traumatic brain injury can result in bruising, torn tissues, bleeding and other physical damage to the brain that can result in long-term complications or death.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

diagnosed with "areas of non-specific signaling" in my brain as a result of repeated severe concussion.  I stopped playing ball due to it.  have had severe migraines and short term memory issues since my mid 20's.

It was very common to get the buzzing,  or light flares,  be up and running in the next play.  Happened several times a game. I had two bad concussions in college, one right after another and wound up in the hospital for a week. Then had a severe concussion in the off season after my first year in the NFL>

I wish we knew then what we know now. That being said, I'd do it again.  I hope they make improvements to helmets to protect the brains of players, while preserving the elemental speed and violence of the game. Without that, it's not football......
View Quote

Wow, you got in to the NFL even after a 2nd impact? That's really impressive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Full contact sports and motorcycle racing. I've had five or six, and I had my latest one just a few years ago at 40.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been knocked out four times and had my bell rung more than that.  My best guess is that I'm in the 7-10 range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
One grade 3, and more grade 1 and 2s than I could count.  Combined somewhere in the high teens.  Once you start getting them, it is stupid easy to get them.

I had post concussion syndrome once, had to stop doing damn near anything that involves physical exertion for about 8 or 9 months.  MRIs, the whole shooting match.  Have had it a few times since, but of much lower degree.

I would tell anyone not to fuck around with em, but I'm stupid and I still play hockey.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

skipped first mini-camp,  had full workups by 3 different neuro's, they spent a lot of time looking at my gourd.  Ironically, it wasn't football that put me out,  I fell on the ice holding my baby, couldn't put my hands down,  fractured my skull.  Two cops were standing right there, they ran over to help and the first one there hit the same ice ball and fell on me and cracked 2 ribs. .

sucked at the time, but I now count it as a sign from God.  4 years later had emergency surgery to remove a broken piece of vertebrae and spinal disk from my spinal cord,  even a minor incident in my neck and I'd have been paralyzed.

I now play my day around trying to avoid stairs....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hit my head hard enough once that it took 5+ hours to remember who I was.

I remembered - hitting an attorney in the head with a rock, and he was shouting, "I'm bleeding like a stuck pig".  
The [sort of] next thing I know - the attorney was now standing above me shouting that I'm "bleeding like a stuck pig."

These two incidents were two weeks apart.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
At least three playing soccer in school, one severe, out for 30 minutes and puking for a week. Couple " shake it off"s.

At least a couple" seeing stars" from fights in school, several more in bars as an adult.

saw double for a year and had to have surgery to correct eye alignment after getting knocked out by an air powered jack that escaped a car I was working on back in my mechanic stint(that ended it).

So " Lost Count".

Probably could have been an engineer like my brother.......
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive had 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I raced BMX and/or Motocross many years, probably 6-10 in my life.
I spent the better part of a week with amnesia years ago, then woke up one morning and everything came back to me. THAT was a strange few days, very hard to explain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Two that I can remember
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Played football from the time I was 9 years old through college (21).  Had a few pretty good ones that resulted in my temporarily seeing everything in various shades of green (like I was looking through green glasses).  

So far as I know I'm still ok and don't have any ill effects.  Plus pizza red basketball bats like q-tips tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Most were playing rugby.  However I did have one in baseball (playing pitcher and was hit by a comeback hit), one skateboarding without a helmet, and one biking.

Rugby provided concussions on different levels.  Two times I was out cold and was totally out of it for an extended period of time.  Once I got one and broke my nose getting my head driven into the ground.  The rest were lower level.  The joke was I was keeping pace with Troy Aikman. Now it's not so funny...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
3 documented
1 skull fracture
1 orbital blow out
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, a lot more people have responded than I thought would. Thanks for the input, guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]
The way it's going the NFL will stand for....No Fun League!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ive had 3
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this. Add in being a little to close for comfort on a couple of explosions as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
three, one as a grade schooler, two playing HS football. First one and the third one had a pretty interesting time puking.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't admit to any, one day at the rate we are going, it will be considered a TBI, that will be a disqualifier for owning a gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Two.

Another kid dropped a rock on my head when I was three years old.  That hit an artery.  Blood sprayed everywhere.  Fortunately there were two doctors on site - My dad and the other kid's.

Then when I was 8 or 9 I gashed the top of my noggin on the bottom of an open casement window.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I honestly don't know if I have ever been concussed or not.

I've been punched pretty hard in the head a few times...E.D. kids are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#29]
3 times.  Only was truly "Knocked the fuck out" 1 time  The 2 other times I  was still semi conscious(Think bell rung seeing stars and little birdies singing and shit) 1 in HS football, 1 in boxing class, and the knock out was when someone swept my leg in and my head bounced off the ground in training in the Corps
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I got knocked out for a few seconds after an auto accident and felt like shit for the next 3 weeks.
I grew up playing football, hockey and baseball and never had any issues.  Same for my time in the Army.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top