BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I still have hope for the Science Channel, it has yet to be one filled with bullshit.
View Quote
Key word here.

I have no faith in cable TV.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't post now, Ow my Balls is on...

Intelligent TV is too hard to produce. Gotta do all that research and crap, it's easier to point cameras at idiots and say be idiots for a while.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Says the man, posting on the internet, entirely created by science.

The anti-intellectualism on this site is astounding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Near as I can tell, scientists really aren't that much better.

Why are you intentionally misrepresenting what he is saying? if you have half a brain you know that "scientists" will say anything to get grant funding. It has been proven over and over.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Intelligent TV is too hard to produce. Gotta do all that research and crap, it's easier to point cameras at idiots and say be idiots for a while.
View Quote

Thing is, there IS intelligent TV. There's Ted talks, about a gazillion blogs with people showing off the new tech they're working on, plenty of youtube and vimeo vids that aren't of cats... but we're talking lowest common denominator here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
No matter what you do, we can't fix stupid people. It took me a week to convince a coworker that the mermaid "documentary" was fake....

Took a lot of effort.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serves scientists right for trying to convince people global warming was real

Yup.
And evolution.

lol

My ROFL Copter goes SOI SOI SOI
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thing is, there IS intelligent TV. There's Ted talks, about a gazillion blogs with people showing off the new tech they're working on, plenty of youtube and vimeo vids that aren't of cats... but we're talking lowest common denominator here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cat videos are educational.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever happened to the cool nature documentary's and shows like beyond 2000?  That show was awesome.  Wasn't Wings on discovery too?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
We feed bigfoot family's  here by leaving leftovers on the back decks .  and for the most part they  don't mess with the ATV's, snowmobiles,  and dirt bikes in the garage.       we have offered Discovery  to come film them.   but the bigfoots are tired of all the graves being dug up and bones taken .
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Like Ancient Aliens that surely you'd take with a grain of salt blatantly lying about stuff in the show.

Example: "These rocks simply do not exist in this region of the world for thousands of miles". But in reality the rocks in question are found all over the place in the immediate surrounding area. The "expert" told a blatant lie. It's one thing to suggest aliens might have built something and offer reasons to back up your theory, it's entirely another to just flat out lie about it.

Without the lie the show could be entertaining and brow raising. The lies just ruin any chance of it being even partially convincing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore, and John F'ing Kerry, give me all the science knowledge I need to survive in the Democrat world.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's about as much history on History channel as there is on the Sci-Fi channel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How do we know that these are real scientists, and not actors pretending to be outraged?
View Quote

It's admin guys that gave up their day jobs as real scientists. It's all about the politics and getting funding.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The internet wasn't created by science.  It's carried on the back of a turtle which is balanced on four elephants.  It was placed there by Eris, and sacrifices to her are really what make things go.  You might hear them referred to as "dropped packets".
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Those channels were going to shit 5-6 years ago when I canceled cable.  All around suckfest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's about as much history on History channel as there is on the Sci-Fi channel.

http://static.atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ancient-Aliens.jpg

I feel like I should be listening to Iced Earth right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone actually watches this trash channel? If you know you're being lied to and propagandized it seems pretty stupid to keep watching such trash.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

maybe i should get pissed about COPS and NCIS

just stop watching....history and discovery jumped the shark and its just crap now
View Quote
so instead we should watch .... what? science channel was my last hope. Now its the ufo channel FUCK@!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why are you intentionally misrepresenting what he is saying? if you have half a brain you know that "scientists" will say anything to get grant funding. It has been proven over and over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please site evidence that a majority of scientists will "say anything to get grant funding".

I'll wait for your diligent research.

Also, you might not want to sight any political, news sources, blog posts, research studies, or videos as evidence for such findings, as one could easily accuse any of those sources as "saying anything to get votes/viewers/pageviews/subscribers/or grand money."

You act as if scientists are magically different than any other person who works for money in every other sector.  That people in general would tell any lie in order to get money.  That's just absurd. "Dem ebil scientists" sound allot like the leftist 'ebil corporations'.

In fact, I would bet that the amount of lying going on in science is less than the amount of lying that you see in private businesses either corporations or mom and pop businesses, or the general public at large.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Also, you might not want to sight any political, news sources, blog posts, research studies, or videos as evidence for such findings, as one could easily accuse any of those sources as "saying anything to get votes/viewers/pageviews/subscribers/or grand money."

View Quote

I think the word you're looking for is cite, as in citation.

You know, it's what scientists do when they write those science papers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, grammar is just a lie made up by english teachers to get money.  Your falling for it, butt knot me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lol TV.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Despite widespread backlash over fake documentaries, supposedly educational networks are turning to them more and more in efforts to net viewers and in the process are making people dumber.

View Quote

Last year's two-hour special on Discovery, called "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives," convinced 70% of viewers that the giant prehistoric shark still existed even as outraged scientists insisted that the show was ludicrous and almost entirely fictional. It didn't help that Discovery made coy comments about the documentary being a legitimate contribution to scientific debate.

View Quote

This summer, Discovery followed it up with "Megalodon: The New Evidence," which became the highest-rated episode of Shark Week with 4.8 million viewers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/discovery-channels-fake-documentaries-2014-9

it was pretty obvious it was just a fauxumentary and just for entertainment,much the same as the mermaid shows they did.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Discovery channel turned me into a newt!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
History and Discovery Channels both use to be about the only thing I'd watch if I took the time to sit in front of a TV. Now it seems it's all garbage.
View Quote

Growing up we didn't have cable.  But once in a while I'd have access to it and discovered the History Channel.  I remember loving it for tis great documentaries and would relish any chance to watch cable so I could watch it.  No it's almost nothing but garbage.  Some of the worst stuff is the reality TV garbage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youtube and blogs aren't TV, and even Ted requires some searching to find worthwhile talks. Is it even on cable? I don't have anything but local channels and I've only watched those once to test my new antenna.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Screw the history channel, TLC, and discovery. There's only one decent show on cable tv. It's educational and entertaining...
Its

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Discovery, History Channel, etc. produce the shows that get the highest ratings. It's a business decision, it's really that simple. The public has spoken, by watching what they like.
And any scientist that bemoans the cable channels' lack of scientific accuracy and then trumps global warming cannot be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And gravity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
And evolution.
And gravity.

Hey! Gravity is just a theory.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Ahh, I remember that "Documentary".

We watched it because there was nothing else on at the time.  While we found it hysterical, it was pretty obvious that a lot of people wouldn't be able to figure out that it was... well, bullshit.

A little depressing.

Sadly there isn't much worth watching on TV anymore.  Other than South Park...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
lol TV.
View Quote

Yeah man.. that's old school. I remember when I used to have television.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Megacock discovered!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:45:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I love this in the comments section:

I won't let my son watch Discovery any more because of this crap. Discovery must be owned by a member of the GOP.
View Quote

Yes, because Conservatives are the ones who perpetuate phony bullshit just to drum up support.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Key word here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have hope for the Science Channel, it has yet to be one filled with bullshit.
Key word here.

they have alien shows...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Did they show Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth again?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Last year's two-hour special on Discovery, called "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives," convinced 70% of viewers that the giant prehistoric shark still existed even as outraged scientists insisted that the show was ludicrous and almost entirely fictional. It didn't help that Discovery made coy comments about the documentary being a legitimate contribution to scientific debate.

View Quote

Explains how the retarded crap on the "History" Channel gets views. Look at all the dumb pawn shows on TV now: Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, Pawnography (). Fuck they even made a new "History 2" channel to migrate some of the less dumb "Engineering Disasters" and "Modern Marvels" rerun shows to...Also look at the dumbass shows on the Military Channel.

This is straight up Idiocracy level shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#37]
So someone actually came down off the ivory tower and spotted this?

Good going, dipshits.

Discovery, TLC, National Geographic have all sucked ass for many years, spewing more shit than knowledge.

And the masses eat it up.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm angry at these fake japan shows too!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#39]

You mean Dating Naked is not scientific?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#40]
They do have some whacky documentaries on that channel but people should know it is sensationalized stuff for god's sake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They've all gone to crap, especially The History Channel.  To hell with those bastards who cancelled "Dogfights."
View Quote

...and "Wings"!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Discovery, History Channel, etc. produce the shows that get the highest ratings. It's a business decision, it's really that simple. The public has spoken, by watching what they like.
And any scientist that bemoans the cable channels' lack of scientific accuracy and then trumps global warming cannot be taken seriously.
View Quote

Pity is, you can say the same thing about CNN, Fox News, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News...

It's just slightly less blatant than the latest episode of Naked Alaska Bayou  Pawnshop Truckers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And gravity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

And evolution.
And gravity.

Which sucks harder than Honey Boo-Boo's fat sister.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#44]
You have to watch ScyFy to see the real documentaries. Sharknado,Piranhacanda,Mega Octopus.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well what did you expect? honey boo boo is on the fucking learning channel.
View Quote

you know, some people claim that the downfall of society is marked by promiscuity, and losing the faith. I think it's marked by exactly the sort of stupidity that leads to the learning channel being filled with entirely useless mind-rot.

I understand they need to be entertaining to get ratings, but that shit's insane. Teach me how to build a saturn V rocket in my garage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

it is the least bullshitty.

My favorite show is how it's made.

I also like through the wormhole, just because listening to morgan freeman talk is somewhat therapeutic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Is wrestling real?

Buy line for new TV expose
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Fair call, there's a lot of trash on History.

The attitude difference between private sector and government scientists is huge, don't lump us all in with the grant-chasers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

And gravity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

And evolution.
And gravity.

Really, so which one is not like the others, evidence, repeatability, you know the silly scientific method stuff...

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top