User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the damn fee for then? I'm cool with tipping the driver, no problem there.
View Quote

Is that a trick question?  It's more expensive to send a driver to deliver food to your door than it is to have a cashier deliver it 10 steps to the front counter.  You have to pay a driver wages and you also need some kind of liability insurance for him to go out on company business in his vehicle.  I'm also under the impression that you have to pay mileage.  Frankly it's a miracle that delivery fees are only a couple bucks to begin with.

In the absence of the tipping custom, delivery fees would be even higher.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It discouragese from ordering delivery, cuz with fee and tip, all the sudden you're paying an extra $7-$8. Add in tax, and all of the sudden that $10 weeknight special cost you $20.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On the subject of tipping, if I add tip to my online order, does the driver know/get the money? I did that once, and when the pizza guy delivered the pizza I just thanked him and he went on his way. I got the feeling that he thinks I stiffed him on a tip.
View Quote

Every online order I've placed recently with the tip paid online, the drivers acted like they were aware of the tip and were on their way quite cheerily.

I had a couple rough moments when online ordering first became a thing and the drivers weren't hip to the whole online tipping thing.  I even had one guy act like I was making shit up when I told him I paid online including the tip.  That was awhile ago though and everyone seems to have it all figured out now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is that a trick question?  It's more expensive to send a driver to deliver food to your door than it is to have a cashier deliver it 10 steps to the front counter.  You have to pay a driver wages and you also need some kind of liability insurance for him to go out on company business in his vehicle.  I'm also under the impression that you have to pay mileage.  Frankly it's a miracle that delivery fees are only a couple bucks to begin with.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the damn fee for then? I'm cool with tipping the driver, no problem there.

They wouldn't be making ANY pizzas if they didn't offer delivery, because they'd be out of business. I think the "delivery charge" is a scam to keep advertised prices lower. I wish nobody did it, and just charged an extra buck or two per pizza. Offer carry-out specials to reflect the lower cost of non-delivery.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I tip and yes, the pizza delivery places do have special "codes" for customers.

The only time I don't ti is when the pizza delivery person says "Do you want the change?"

The fuck, YES, I want my change. To the penny.
Here's a 50 cent penny roll for your troubles.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Buddy of mine used to deliver pizza as a college job.

He always said that they never, ever messed with the pizzas themselves--and the kitchen was visible from the public dining room of the joint, anyway--but that reliable (not necessarily generous, but reliable) tippers tended to get the drivers wrangling to make deliveries, and ASAP.
Also, the place he was working charged a "delivery fee" as well, and IIRC he saw about $1 of the $2 charged, which didn't even cover gas to some of his delivery sites. Then again, he knew that as the peril of the job, and was pretty vocal about the drivers who griped over gas expenditure. He didn't like that sort of driver much .
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a trick question. That's the first pizza I ordered from Papa John's in a decade, and the first time I can recall hearing anyone say, "So, that'll be, with the delivery fee and tax...."

I would have given him more if he would have just parked in the street and said, "What's up, Neighbor Dude? Sure, I have five minutes to shoot the breeze, but give me a moment to run up this short-ass driveway and hand this pie to the customer who pre-paid for this order."

Idling in the street, right outside my picture window, yakking with my neighbor? Not the time for that.

Having put myself through school with loans, waiting tables, caddying, and bar backing...I get it how important tips are. They're so important, that when you're on the job, you need to be focused on doing your job and providing excellent customer service. That's where you make your money or waste your time.

I'm not trying to stink it up here. I REALLY hadn't heard "delivery fee" before. My wife and I were like, "Delivery fee? What, nobody tips drivers anymore?" Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]
When I order pizza, it always arrives within 20 minutes, even if they quoted me 45-60 minutes.

I always tip. It is worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#9]
$5.00 tip for pizza delivery guys. I haven't adjusted that for inflation since the 90's though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Uhhh.....do you even pizza delivery, bro?  

That "delivery fee" isn't exclusive to Papa John's.  It's pretty much a standard now.  And it does not go to the driver.  The fee is BS because those drivers are using POV's with their own insurance, so I don't know what the pizza companies need the fee for.  Anyway, the driver doesn't get those $2 or whatever it is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That "delivery fee" isn't exclusive to Papa John's.  It's pretty much a standard now.  And it does not go to the driver.  The fee is BS because those drivers are using POV's with their own insurance, so I don't know what the pizza companies need the fee for.  Anyway, the driver doesn't get those $2 or whatever it is.
View Quote

Nope, I don't delivery. If we get pizza it's either an order we call in at a little neighborhood place and I'll snag it on the way home from work, or we go to a brew pub/pizza and hoagies place nearby.

Learning new stuff every day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly what I was saying earlier. The cost of having delivery drivers has always been on the company as a cost of doing business. Now, not only has that cost been entirely placed upon the customer, but it is done so at an additional 150% on top of the actual cost.

If having drivers is so expensive to their profit margins, then stop delivering. Then lets look at those profits again. Bah, I make Boboli's now anyway, my claim of picking up in person is a once every two years thing when I'm out of pizza shells and the store is out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top