Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:43 PM EDT
I've been here for about 6 months now. Whenever I was stationed in other states, I never found myself doing much comparing of laws (unless if I considered them "better") to Ohio, like I do here.

There's just some silly shit here that grabs my attention a little. Now, the mandated motorcycle helmet law (but what I read online doesn't appear to have mandated eye protection, unless if I read wrong ) is seemingly minor, but I consider that a pretty Nanny law. But the big one is the requirement to get signed off permission to purchase a handgun (unless if you have a CHL). Additionally, there are some road rules/signs/dynamics that make me feel like the state is holding my hand while driving. There are raised concrete medians freaking everywhere. I'm constantly having to drive up 1-2 blocks so I can turn around, rather than being able to just take a left when I need to. Then there are the way the traffic lights work. In OH, most traffic lights will start off with the green arrow for those turning left, then it will turn to solid green while the drivers going straight are allowed to go, with those turning left still being able to turn albeit in a yield status. Here, the arrow turns green for no shit 3 seconds at some intersections, 4 cars get through, and then you have to wait until the next cycle. It's like NC doesn't trust drivers to yield when making a left at an intersection.

Overall, I really like it here. The people are super friendly, unlike in the North. But I just constantly feel like I'm being nannied and am not trustworthy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I think it is.

I've lived in other states MS, TX, and AL and moved to NC a couple of years ago.

It's heading towards a borderline nanny state due to the influx of Northerners moving in looking for a little warmer climate. The permission slip to get a handgun and the fact that several counties have law enforcement that won't sign off for a suppressor should tell you it's a borderline state. Most people buying a suppressor in this state just do the trust route to bypass all that.

The traffic laws are pretty hard on speed violations compared to most states and speed limits are set pretty low compared to other states. On some interstate on ramps where 2 lanes merge to one before entering the interstate the fast lane is the lane that's required to merge right instead of the slow lane merging left. I always thought that was weird. I see that mostly in Charlotte though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
please go home yankee

shit ain't perfect but for a state that has been completely ruled by yellow dog dem's
for 2 hundred years, we have the house, senate and gub.  They ain't perfect and
shit, but bitch please!!!

OK, so how did I do on a rant, and mixing Southerneese with Dope Rap Shit

also, definition of yankee vs. damn yankee?  Yankees go home eventually.

Also, I think Tillis is Burr's clone
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Son, you been here long?   Speeding tickets are just a racket - call your lawyer buddy
or ask for a lawyer buddy and for anything reasonable 70 in a 55 or hell, 125 in a 70
you can pay $300 and walk with defective equipment.

ETA - Charlotte really doesn't count as NC - same for CARY (Concentrated Area for Relocated
Yankees) and Carboro/Chapel Thrill.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I think it is.

I've lived in other states MS, TX, and AL and moved to NC a couple of years ago.

It's heading towards a borderline nanny state due to the influx of Northerners moving in looking for a little warmer climate. The permission slip to get a handgun and the fact that several counties have law enforcement that won't sign off for a suppressor should tell you it's a borderline state. Most people buying a suppressor in this state just do the trust route to bypass all that.

The traffic laws are pretty hard on speed violations compared to most states and speed limits are set pretty low compared to other states. On some interstate on ramps where 2 lanes merge to one before entering the interstate the fast lane is the lane that's required to merge right instead of the slow lane merging left. I always thought that was weird. I see that mostly in Charlotte though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
please go home yankee

shit ain't perfect but for a state that has been completely ruled by yellow dog dem's
for 2 hundred years, we have the house, senate and gub.  They ain't perfect and
shit, but bitch please!!!

OK, so how did I do on a rant, and mixing Southerneese with Dope Rap Shit

also, definition of yankee vs. damn yankee?  Yankees go home eventually.

Also, I think Tillis is Burr's clone
View Quote

This!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Permission slip to buy a pistol; yep, nanny state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
They are turning tobacco road into Napa Valley east.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
we don't care how you did it up north
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Their gun laws are very much remnants of Jim Crow laws.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that's fine, I'm going to go buy a pistol with out asking pretty please in your honor
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The pistol purchase permit isn't from NC wanting to be a nanny state so much as it's a vestigial law that was originally intended to keep blacks from purchasing pistols.  

And, the traffic lights.....yeah, no clue on that one.  I've never noticed what you're describing, but that sounds annoying.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Their gun laws are very much remnants of Jim Crow laws.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Permission slip to buy a pistol; yep, nanny state.
View Quote

We almost had that one repealed. But the Sheriffs use it as a revenue generator. They went and cried about it till it was shelved for later discussion...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well that's fine, I'm going to go buy a pistol with out asking pretty please in your honor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

concealed carry license ftw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The pistol purchase permit was enacted at a time when no poor (black) man could afford the five dollars for the permit. It is a Jim Crow law.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
east coast yankee state?

yep
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I hate to admit it, I think all 50 states are "nanny states".
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
They have "North" in the name. So... obviously a buncha yankees...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
SC is fucking fulll...I repeat.....SC is fucking full
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Move to Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and you'll feel better.

Gun laws aren't bad aside from the permit deal, which I believe was intended to make it harder for blacks to get guns. Now it's a revenue stream that they don't want to give up.

Not sure what you're talking about with the traffic. There are far worse places to drive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know anything about NC except it's a nice state to drive through. No traffic on 95 and I drive like an old man so I don't get stopped.  

Green light thing and merging is apparently all fucked up though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.giphy.com/1TiyMQbsRuHQs.gif

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]
You're going to have to harden the fuck up son.  Just wait till the ice starts sticking to the roads or the humidity hits 3400 fucking percent...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Well that fucking settles it. I'm moving to NJ!!!

VA has no room to talk. Radar detectors illegal? Retarded.

In the 35 years I've been here, NC has become exponentially LESS nanny-ish in its behavior. Thankfully, the Dems are losing their grip on the state. I'd say we're much better off than all states that border NC.

Don't like it? I'm sure the rust belt will welcome you back with open, organized labor arms.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Dang, don't tell me that.  I'm working my ass off here in Atlanta, GA to one day soon take me and my family out of this shit hole area and move to NC.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You're going to have to harden the fuck up son.  Just wait till the ice starts sticking to the roads or the humidity hits 3400 fucking percent...
View Quote

and the mention of snow on the news causes every store to sell out of Eggs, Milk & Bread in 1 hour!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dang, don't tell me that.  I'm working my ass off here in Atlanta, GA to one day soon take me and my family out of this shit hole area and move to NC.
View Quote

Wait... you live in Atlanta, armpit of these United States.  Am I to understand that helmet laws and protected green lights have you honestly concerned about moving to NC?  I think it's time to take a few minutes and consider your priorities...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
North Carolina is great but the DOT if fucking retarded. They look at a road that is working great and they're like... fuck it, lets put a median there, fuck up traffic and shut down those two businesses on that side of the road.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Born and raised in eastern NC, and I have seen a lot of changes. As some have posted, we were ruled by the leftist Dems in the Legislature and the Gov's office for decades., with a couple of exceptions when the Governor was a Republican. Understand that the Dems used to be the conservatives, and the Republicans were hated as Lincoln's supporters and carpetbaggers during the "Reconstruction".  The modern-day Democrats such as Jim Hunt ran powerful left-leaning political machines, and were often only lukewarm on gun rights.  The Hunt crowd is still around----see the Kay Hagan ads.

And yes, the pistol-purchase permits have been around since the 1800's.  Thankfully, we can go concealed now and not be "illegal", although I don't think a man should have to have a permit to do that. I won't complain, though, as I am glad that I can carry.

NC has a lot to offer. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I don't know anything about NC except it's a nice state to drive through. No traffic on 95 and I drive like an old man so I don't get stopped.

View Quote

The state went to Obama. It's an awesome state but Asheville and the raliegh/durham triangle is ruining it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The state went to Obama. It's an awesome state but Asheville and the raliegh/durham triangle is ruining it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#35]
You're in the wrong Carolina.

South Caroline is awesome. If you get the chance to go backpacking, Max Patch on the AT is incredible at sunset. The pictures don't do it justice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

South Caroline is awesome. If you get the chance to go backpacking, Max Patch on the AT is incredible at sunset. The pictures don't do it justice.
View Quote

this... nothing to see in nc plz move along
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Played golf in Pinehurst this morning, pretty though place to beat looks wise. Also western NC is freaking beautiful and also has a great stretch of the AT.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyone I know from NC is a raging liberal.  Anything north of I-10 is Yankee.

NC is a nannystate.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

South Carolina is best Carolina?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shhhhhh! As stated earlier, we are full. By the way, did y'all hear that the pistol permit is a Jim Crow law?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#41]
CLEO sign-off for a can? You're doing it wrong. TRUST me...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Cumberland County had some screwy alcohol laws back in the 70s, IIRC and I was pulled over by a small town cop and a State cop for no particular reason (where you goin' ? crap). Firearm laws are the tell. IMO, Georgia and Tennessee laws are Bloombergian, but maybe that's just because ours are reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time.

Unfortunately Va failed twice and will probably fall over itself to fail a fourth time. Terry McDouchenozzle is fail #3
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

South Carolina is best only Carolina!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

South Carolina is best only Carolina!

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

NC is a nannystate.  

View Quote
I'll ponder this while I open carry tomorrow.  Thanks for your input, hombre.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#46]
NC has some quirky laws but it's far from a nanny state. As mentioned below the RTP area as well as Chalotte and Asheville are more 'northern' than the rest of the state. As for helmet laws and mediums, seems like small grips to be honest as IMO their handgun purchase laws still have Jim Crow binds.

To me you're bitching about trivial things, step back and look at the bigger picture. Just my $0.002 about my home state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

NC is a nannystate.  

View Quote

You must not know many people from NC then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I lived in J-Action-Ville, NC for five years, and despite the fact that buying a handgun in Onslow Co. sucks as badly as the weather, I miss it.

You get used to the climate because the people are so damn awesome.  Good, socially conservative, upright Americans in the Great State of North Carolina.

I want to buy a vacation home there on the Chrystal Coast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

85 north to Greenville SOUTH Carolina. Day trip to WNC and reside in SC. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Graduated HS in NC, all my friends live there, I plan to retire in the SC hills though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top