Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2014 11:49:08 AM EDT
I have been considering getting a Golf TDI for several years - to replace my current beater (a Saturn that gets 35mpg and is just shy of 250k miles). Currently am also considering other VW TDI's as well.   I know, in true AR15 fashion, I should just get both - but my parking (at least for the next year or so) is limited.  Anyone care to brainstorm their comparative merits and issues?
My initial wag is the TDI will get better mileage and be a more comfortable.  The GT will be initially more fun (although the TDI should have good life in it), but ultimately less comfortable to drive any distance in.  The TDI will have lower initial cost, lower operating cost, but potentially more repair costs.  Just a wag, but it will also probably hold value better.
As a business vehicle, client perception can carry weight.  People will be looking for my because my services are cost effective.  This limits my vehicle choices to more utility/non-luxury vehicles.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have been considering getting a Golf TDI for several years - to replace my current beater (a Saturn that gets 35mpg and is just shy of 250k miles). Currently am also considering other VW TDI's as well. I know, in true AR15 fashion, I should just get both - but my parking (at least for the next year or so) is limited. Anyone care to brainstorm their comparative merits and issues?

My initial wag is the TDI will get better mileage and be a more comfortable. The GT will be initially more fun (although the TDI should have good life in it), but ultimately less comfortable to drive any distance in. The TDI will have lower initial cost, lower operating cost, but potentially more repair costs. Just a wag, but it will also probably hold value better.

As a business vehicle, client perception can carry weight. People will be looking for my because my services are cost effective. This limits my vehicle choices to more utility/non-luxury vehicles.
View Quote

These two vehicles are so different that they are not really comparable to each other.

What do you need out of it?

High fuel mileage? High horsepower? Looks? Sound? Cool factor? Without knowing the answers to these questions, it's impossible to make a recommendation.

FWIW, I think you have it backwards on long distance comfort-I see the Stang as being way more comfortable on the highway than something 3/4 it's size and weight weight.

I would go for the Stang myself, but fuel mileage doesnt really factor into a vehicle for me (assumeing it gets more than my '79 Bronco w/460 did-anything better than 6 is pure gravy!)

Nick
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I am undergoing several lifestyle changes - so it is difficult for me to guess what I really want out of my next car.  I am genetically a cheap bastard, and educated occupationally to be a still cheaper one.  That said, those have led me to a place that I can afford to commute 150 miles per day in an F150 getting 12mpg (at least $$ wise, it is very hard for me to actually do).  My wife started freaking when I commuted a couple weeks in my truck - simply enjoying the better ride quality than the beater Saturn.

I don't know how am modern Mustang rides.  Before the dawn of time, when the dinosaurs still ruled the earth - I had a Camaro.  I loved it, but it was a cruel bitch ride wise - leaving me fairly sore after 2hr drives (worse than the Saturn leaves me now - it is very light and has a relatively stiff suspension).  The gross vehicle weight of the F150, coupled with all the creature comforts I want make it more pleasant even as it rolls from side to side with every bump.  My wifes Sienna rides very smoothly - but could use more noise damping (my F150 is quieter, and my Dodge before it was still more silent).

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
gt
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
can you have two cars? As someone who goes through cars like crazy maybe get a nicer/newer reliabile car for business (tax write off probably as well) and have a 2nd beater sports car like a older GT, miata, f-body, corvette, s2000 whatever....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
TDI.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
So fun vs. mpg?

Gee that's a tough one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
150 mile commute is 3 to 4 gallons of diesel or 6 to 8 gallons of gas (premium?). Over a 5 day commute that is a lot of spare change to be throwing into gas. I would buy a used tdi and save for a used mustang, your $15 per day savings is about 4500 per year. Probably more when you consider insurance costs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are getting it for business, get a four door. I cannot count how many times I've had to use my wife's car for business stuff because my 2 door / 2 seater is just completely impractical. And even though a Mustang GT has four seats, those back seats are more or less for kids or dogs as full sized adult males will be utterly cramped back there. And unless you are regularly picking up the sultan of oman from the airport as long as your car is not some totally immature thing in hot neon green with a loud exhaust most clients will only notice three things: is it clean, is it well maintained and how are you driving?

As for performance and comfort I am a poor judge. My DD is a 2008 Miata with a sport suspension and hard tires. A half hour of highway driving in it feels like going over Niagara in a barrel. So comparatively EVERY car feels more comfortable for long trips to me.

I'm seriously looking at the 2015 Mustang GT to replace my NC Miata. I test drove a few of the 2013's and 14's and found them to be far more "plush" than I'm accustomed to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So fun vs. mpg?

Gee that's a tough one.
View Quote

TDIs can be lots of fun.  OP will have to throw some of that gas money he'll be saving at it, but it'll be plenty fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#10]
the fucking GT, man. The fucking GT. What the hell is wrong with you

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/05/002-2014-ford-mustang-gt-opt.jpg

View Quote

They do that?

Why did I get married, when I could have gotten a Stang instead?

And, my '03 didn't have that feature, unless it was some kind of option.  

Nick
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They do that?

Nick
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/05/002-2014-ford-mustang-gt-opt.jpg

They do that?

Nick

I'm sure you could figure something out. fleshlight + tail pipe?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
GT with a blower..... or a 150 shot of giggle gas.
Take clients for a powershifting ride at WOT
Profit????
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
GT with a blower..... or a 150 shot of giggle gas.
Take clients for a powershifting ride at WOT
Profit????
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Truck or if you incest on a car then go GT. Screw mpg by driving a chick car, life is short so enjoy it
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do that?

Nick

What kind of neutered Stang only has ONE tailpipe?

SACRILEGE!!! Is that some kind of sick joke?

Go sit in the corner.  

Nick
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Truck or if you incest on a car then go GT. Screw mpg by driving a chick car, life is short so enjoy it
View Quote

Quoted so I can keep laughing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go sit in the corner.  

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do that?

Nick

Go sit in the corner.  

Nick

Um excuse me for assuming you only have one cock
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I already have a 4x4 Supercrew F150.  I guess I could upgrade it to an F250 with bigger truck nuts.  I am holding off on that because I probably would get more use out of an old Diesel Excursion.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I already have a 4x4 Supercrew F150.  I guess I could upgrade it to an F250 with bigger truck nuts.  I love the truck, but it has some miles and fuck 12mpg sucks.  
View Quote

Get that AND the TDI, then you'll have fuel commonality.  You can't afford not to!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't mind the shitty gas mileage you will love a Mustang.  I love my Roush.  I have a 2002 Civic that I now drive 4 days to save gas. Getting in my Roush is such a driving experience.  The Civic is an absolute dog in comparison.  Civic gets 35mpg.  Roush gets 18 if I baby it.  Most of the time I get 15. More smile for the mile with the Roush.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
GT!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#23]
In a perfect world, here is my long term plan.

Make 1 million dollars...  The goal on this is next summer

Build house with large garage, and probably a second barn

In garage/barns will be:

GMC Urban Assault Vehicle

Diesel Excursion

Minivan

Sports Car

Work Truck

beater car

beater jeep

Tractor(s)

Skid loader

I guess off that list - the beater car is pivot vehicle.  The one that will be least necessary and most used (at least by me).  The Minivan is probably going to be the most used.  The skid loader will probably give me the most smiles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, i've had BOTH.  went from a 01 TDI to a 2013 GT...then sold it.

my advice?  get a mk6 GTI.  they have great deals right now because the mk7's are out, and get decent mileage.

the GT is a hellva fun car, but it sucks to drive slow, feels big, is small, get DISMAL mileage.

2.0 CR TDI's are a hoot, good torque, fun car, but no where near ALH mileage of 40...expect 35ish on the highway.

I get 26 mixed in my Tuned GTI.  

assuming 30k miles and 3.50 a gallon for fuel/gas, the GTI is 1040 more to fuel over that 30k.

since the cars will cost about the same......the gti is definitely worth the extra 1k on fuel.

GET A GTI
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tablet fails me

I'm not going to change it since it's funny
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My initial wag is the TDI will get better mileage and be a more comfortable.  The GT will be initially more fun (although the TDI should have good life in it), but ultimately less comfortable to drive any distance in.  
View Quote

I've never had a Mustang before, but bought a 2014 GT a few months ago. I'd recommend going out and test driving both. To a 6'4" guy like me, the Mustang would be the better choice for driving distance. Comfortable seats, tons of head and leg room up front. I think they've come a long way in recent years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]

If you are trying to avoid a "flashy" appearance, better not get the Mustang.  It really isn't all that expensive, considering, but there's still a lot of people that see it as "pricey" or a show-off car.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Given your last sentence....get the TDI.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tablet fails me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tablet fails me

Just tell your sister not to scuff the paint, eh?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Tdi

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#31]
My brother in law has a '12 Passat TDI in black.  For a while he did work visiting car dealerships in a Illinois/Indiana business territory, and a TDI SE Passat with leatherette will be nice for schlepping any clientele around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yuck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuck.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuck.

http://i.imgur.com/yZQvM7e.png

Thank you for that.

Also, thank you father for not giving me a hairy back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do that?

Nick

Go sit in the corner.

Nick

LMAO-I'm dying over here!

Nick
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#36]
If your going to use it for business, get a VW 4-door GTI, and this is coming from a guy who's had 2 Mustang GT's. Great cars, just not the best for taking business clients out.

The GTI is fun to drive and gets decent gas mileage.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#37]
If it isn't a 5.0 S197, don't bother.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 2014 mustang GT.  Fuel consumption is somewhere between inhumane and grotesque.  Ride is plush; it is fun in a straight line but corners like a buick.  I got the cloth seats and they are very comfy for road trips (did 14 hours straight from VA to FL with no pain).  Rear seats are useless for anything larger than a 4th grader.  Exhaust sounds awesome, not fartcan.

Just stuff to consider.  If you are taking clients out or will be judged by your car, get a four door.

I am saving my pennies to drop a Ford Racing suspension package into mine to cure the ride.  I actually prefer the stiff ''fingerspitzengefeuhl' ride
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Get an Evo or STi

4 doors, good MPG, and still a blast to drive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get an Evo or STi

View Quote

17 city/ 23 highway is considered good now? The STi/Evo cars are great but they do not get good MPG.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get an Evo or STi

View Quote

This or if you want to stick with VW get a used Golf R.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]
GT is rated at 15/25.  I don't think my Camero ever broke 20.  Not great, but not all that bad.  Sienna is rated at 17/23ish.  My truck gets 12 if I am lucky.  Everything is relative.  Saturn gets 33, mostly highway.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks just like the new 2014 GT I just got a few weeks ago except mines grey

So naturally I would say go with the GT!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope but my tablet disagreed with what I typed. Your late to the party pal, we have already had a discussion on this
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
GT is rated at 15/25.  
View Quote

key word: rated.    if you do anything other than drive like a granny, its 13-15 city.  the only time you get 25 is on the hwy, not speeding, constant speed.  traffic?  20, if not worse.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]
VW = Mexico
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
VW = Mexico
View Quote

I think the TDIs are all still made in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

key word: rated.    if you do anything other than drive like a granny, its 13-15 city.  the only time you get 25 is on the hwy, not speeding, constant speed.  traffic?  20, if not worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GT is rated at 15/25.  

This is true. Although its rated 26 highway the best ive been able to do is 24mpg and thats strictly highway. I get get about 17 mpg in city/mixed driving. Still not bad considering what it is.

My WRX does better on gas suprisingly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Mustang GT without a doubt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top