Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/18/2014 5:18:28 AM EDT

Apple said Wednesday night that it is making it impossible for the company to turn over data from most iPhones or iPads to police — even when they have a search warrant — taking a hard new line as tech companies attempt to blunt allegations that they have too readily participated in government efforts to collect user information.

The move, announced with the publication of a new privacy policy tied to the release of Apple’s latest mobile operating system, iOS 8, amounts to an engineering solution to a legal quandary: Rather than comply with binding court orders, Apple has reworked its latest encryption in a way that prevents the company — or anyone but the device’s owner — from gaining access to the vast troves of user data typically stored on smartphones or tablet computers.

The key is the encryption that Apple mobile devices automatically put in place when a user selects a passcode, making it difficult for anyone who lacks that passcode to access the information within, including photos, e-mails and recordings. Apple once maintained the ability to unlock some content on devices for legally binding police requests but will no longer do so for iOS 8, it said in the new privacy policy.

“Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data,” Apple said on its Web site. “So it’s not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8.”
View Quote

www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apple-will-no-longer-unlock-most-iphones-ipads-for-police-even-with-search-warrants/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave it to the password hackers then?

Calling Jeniffer Lawrence.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Push too long, people get tired of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Good

In before the "if you haven't done anything, you have nothing to fear" crowd
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave it to the password hackers then?

Calling Jeniffer Lawrence.
View Quote

Better than Google data-mining the fuck out of you and selling it to the highest bidder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Yes.

Of course they won't.

After all, they have a policy.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
so this means they will just throw us in the pokey until we give up the password?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good

View Quote

Isn't a search warrant the proper way to do things?

Why you hate the constitution?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a bad thing overall.  More agencies will develop their own entry capability in house and have their own techs.  This will be good justification for more funding and more employees along with a higher level of capability to manipulate the device in house.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not a bad thing overall.  More agencies will develop their own entry capability in house and have their own techs.  This will be good justification for more funding and more employees along with a higher level of capability to manipulate the device in house.
View Quote

As long as it is a pause long enough for them to get a search warrant, I'm ok with this. Reading through phones on the side of the road was bullshit and everyone with a brain knew it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Cue the DOJ and a Supreme Court ruling against Apple in 5,4,3,2,.........
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Good

Quoted:
Good

View Quote

And I'd like to state ahead of time that that crowd can eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Good luck on the warrants front.

As I was instructed, a warrant can span from "you may do XYZ" to "the Court orders XYZ be done."

Willful obstruction of a court order probably won't go over so hot, if it comes to refusing-warrants time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#15]
If Obama has lost is Apple, Inc backers, then the terrorists have won.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good

View Quote

That's a bullshit line and anyone who says it eats dicks !!!!!!

If you haven't done anything wrong, you have everything to fear .... because they are watching your every move !!!!!!!

Law enforcement has no fucking business in my phone ...... or up may ass for that matter ..... but they sure as fuck seem hell bent on going there ..... FAGS !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They already need a warrant, now they will just not be able to get in absent the owner complying or some kind of  technical method of cracking it  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it is a pause long enough for them to get a search warrant, I'm ok with this. Reading through phones on the side of the road was bullshit and everyone with a brain knew it.
They already need a warrant, now they will just not be able to get in absent the owner complying or some kind of  technical method of cracking it  

The only thing that concerns me is that they mention data being automatically backed up in the cloud. Hopefully phones will not be configured like that out of the box as that is just as bad as having the password subpoenable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They aren't refusing to comply. "Don't look at us, we can't open it"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

They designed it that way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The only thing that concerns me is that they mention data being automatically backed up in the cloud. Hopefully phones will not be configured like that out of the box as that is just as bad as having the password subpoenable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that you have to setup cloud access as part of the process of setting up a new phone.

Personally I turn off all the crap like cloud and location services.

What ever happens on my phone .... stays on my phone !!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure, and risk pissing off the hipster crowd? Nobody wants to be underneath the weight of that purse.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Then Apple won't qualify for that little FCC sticker on the back of the phone.  No sticker, no sale in the US.  Every Federal Telecom Act for decades has required that any new technology have an access for LEO and national security.  No back door = no license to sell Telecom in the US.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Oh Dear God, some of you actually seem to believe the "Don't look at us, we can't open it." line!

That's SO precious!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Of course you know, I just told you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.
Of course you know, I just told you.  

I knew previously. I don't think all the cops in this country know, or care.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good

Quoted:
Good

QFT
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you haven't done anything wrong, you have everything to fear .... because they are watching your every move !!!!!!!

Law enforcement has no fucking business in my phone .... but they sure as fuck seem hell bent on going there ..... FAGS !!!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Law enforcement has no fucking business in my phone .... but they sure as fuck seem hell bent on going there ..... FAGS !!!!!!!

They do probably have business going through some other people's phones though (with a warrant).

I don't have a "smart phone," I think I am better off for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sure, and risk pissing off the hipster crowd? Nobody wants to be underneath the weight of that purse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#33]
When Apple gets all the immigrant workers they want it will comply.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think that only requires apple to allow the phones to be accessed by a real time wiretap  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Then Apple won't qualify for that little FCC sticker on the back of the phone.  No sticker, no sale in the US.  Every Federal Telecom Act for decades has required that any new technology have an access for LEO and national security.  No back door = no license to sell Telecom in the US.
I think that only requires apple to allow the phones to be accessed by a real time wiretap  

All lawful access required.  There is no hardware, software, encryption, etc sold with a FCC license that does not allow for all lawful access or national security.   Every device has a backdoor built in big enough to drive the NSA and DOJ through it.  Or it doesn't get a sticker.  Phones, computers, etc.  Been this way for decades.  Used to be in the opening page of the Telecom Act.  They probably bury it a little deeper now.

Apple will probably act surprised when they get denied for a license, make a big show about only begrudgingly complying when a proper court order forces them to include some "key" for a back door.  Fought the good fight, but were beaten by "the man".  Years later some whistle blower will reveal that every key stroke, image and sound is automatically loaded to a NSA/DOJ cloud in real time 24/7.

This is all just theater.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh, crime has been fought for centuries without access to Apple phones. Life goes on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]
<taps on mike>

"um, Bullshit."

<walks off stage>
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<taps on mike>

"um, Bullshit."

<walks off stage>
View Quote

Poor Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good

This. The telecom act applies to transmission of communication not your personal device. Wire taps are done on the network, not on the phone.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Apple won't even help out customers of their product.

We recovered hundreds of stolen cell phones. Not all could we obtain the serial number to have Apple contact the owner. We asked Apple to retrieve the serial number from the phone and contact the owner. We would never receive any information about the phone or the owner, unless the owner contacted us. Apple would just pass along our information to the Apple account holder and tell them we are in possession of their phone. Apple refused to help.

I am sure there is a backdoor into the programming of IOS 8. If not, IOS 8.1 will have it
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#40]
My IPhone dindu nuffin!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Grumpycatflipsofftheman.jpg
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Sim card. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good

Apple's policy does not circumvent the right to obtain evidence through the use of a search warrant.  Nor does it eliminate 'Contempt of Court' laws.

What it does it remove the government's ability to force Apple to reveal personal data stored and encrypted on its customer's devices,

BIG, BIG difference.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
All lawful access required.  There is no hardware, software, encryption, etc sold with a FCC license that does not allow for all lawful access or national security.   Every device has a backdoor built in big enough to drive the NSA and DOJ through it.  Or it doesn't get a sticker.  Phones, computers, etc.  Been this way for decades.  Used to be in the opening page of the Telecom Act.  They probably bury it a little deeper now.

Apple will probably act surprised when they get denied for a license, make a big show about only begrudgingly complying when a proper court order forces them to include some "key" for a back door.  Fought the good fight, but were beaten by "the man".  Years later some whistle blower will reveal that every key stroke, image and sound is automatically loaded to a NSA/DOJ cloud in real time 24/7.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/1002  

Talks about intercepting communications, not accessing stored data.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776

G

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/1002  

Talks about intercepting communications, not accessing stored data.

Well... as long as there's a law against it....

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Can't open it.  No, really.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, big surprise that you are defending, condoning, and advocating the .gov finding more ways to access citizens electronic devices.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Arfcom will be high-fiving and cheering until the first kiddy-raper walks free because his Iphone was inaccessible to a Constitutionally valid search warrant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top