Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:12 PM EDT
How many of you guys have eye floaters?  I'm almost 44 and have a couple.  Kind of irritating at times.

ERic
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but I've always been able to see small things moving around rapidly in my eye. They catch the light and go away quickly.

I can only see them against a blue sky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
56. Diabetes. Lots

I mistake them for birds and sirplanes sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Same age as OP, and I have some.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
56. Diabetes. Lots

I mistake them for birds and sirplanes sometimes.

View Quote

Type one or type two?  Its interesting that you mentioned diabetes.  That's what Iwas just wondering about.  When did you start to see the floaters?  Thanks.

ERic
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Most people here should have them.  It's normal with aging.  I heard some people get their eyes drained and reinflated with saline to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 43 and have had a couple since I was a teen.  Doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
37 years old and I have had a few as long as I can remember.

I aso have 20/10 vision for what its worth.

No beetus but it does run in the family.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
37 have had a few for 5 years or so
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only had them once. Supposedly the gel in your eye liquifies in the center as you age and little pieces of more solid stuff float around until they dissolve or break up. I thought it was weird that a big one drifted higher in my field of vision over a few days but then I remembered that the image in your eye is inverted on your retina. It was probably settling to the bottom actually.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Detached retina. See a doc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Had em since i was 5 or 6.  Perfectly normal
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had them since I was ten.  I've been told they can be common in nearsighted people too.  I got used to them but they get irritating at times.  For the most part I learned to ignore them years ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Interferes with my scope cross-hairs, otherwise I tolerate the condition. Thought about getting my right eye drained, then laying still for up to 2 weeks afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I got them in both eyes when I was about 19. They are bad enough that if it is a bright day or even worse a bright overcast day. I have to wear sunglasses to make them less visible or it drives me crazy.

Doctor ran a bunch of tests and everything is fine. He seems to think all my impact sports 'might' have cause them. (Football, wakeboarding, snow skiing)
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Always have a few.

52, glaucoma and cataracts coming into action. But then again, my base vision is 20/400...so fuck me from the beginning.

dammit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
had 'em since I was little.  I play games with them,  i run them in circles around objects I can see by twitching my eye. It's like having a really really low-fi built in video game.

every once in a blue moon, one'll slide in from the side real quick and I'll duck or flinch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, but I've always been able to see small things moving around rapidly in my eye. They catch the light and go away quickly.
I can only see them against a blue sky.
View Quote

Blue skies make them show up for me best too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily.....

But worth having checked out if concerned, most reg eye exams dilate and check for detached retinas or weak spots. Floaters are fairly normal as you age as pointed out. I have them pretty good in one eye and it can be pretty annoying at times.

The eye-ball flush is a LAST Resort....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#20]
A few floaters is fine and normal.

A sudden change in the number and type of floaters can signal a serious condition though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm 25 and I've had one in my left eye since I was 18 or 19.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My younger brother had them, very bad. He had his eye drained and saline filled. All good now. He had the operation in March. His glaucoma ( in that eye ) is better as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
had them as far back as I can remember, so effectively my whole life.  Rarely bother me any more, I look past them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Bright overcast is when I notice them the most.  I am going for my yearly eye exam next week so I'll have the doc check everything out.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

ERic
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Right eye has one that I notice sometime when I look at a bright monotone color. First noticed it when I was a little kid. Hasn't changed size shape or position. 42 years old now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
close your eyes and look at the sun.  you'll see them like looking through a microscope.  you're not abnormal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
had em for years hate them especially during gnat season
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a floater appear in my right eye a few months ago, went to the eye doctor and got it checked out. He did a exam with eye dilation, said everything looked normal. I don't notice the floater as much now, still see it but not as bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive got a cluster of them stuck together in my left eye, about 15-20 of them

only notice them when looking into a blue sky

doesn't bother me much

none in the right

31 yrs old

Is there some sort of connection between floaters and diabetes?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Get bilateral tinnitus AND floaters. Learn to ignore a lot of distractions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

doesn't bother me much

none in the right

31 yrs old

View Quote

This is what I was wondering.

ERic
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
had 'em since I was little.  I play games with them,  i run them in circles around objects I can see by twitching my eye. It's like having a really really low-fi built in video game.

every once in a blue moon, one'll slide in from the side real quick and I'll duck or flinch.
View Quote

Halarious...i do the same type shit......

43 here....been around probably 20 yrs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had a few since I was about 10 years old. I mostly notice them when reading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ERic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

doesn't bother me much

none in the right

31 yrs old

ERic

Upon a quick google search

Eye floaters and diabetes
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#36]
yeah, they kind of bother me especially when ice fishing or skiing because they stick out.  Otherwise, I don't notice them too much.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Wiggles.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do this asap. If nothing else you can rule it out one way or the other.

My father had cataracts removed and about 6 months later he had a similar occurance, they said it could be very likely that theyd have to reattach the retina.  Thankfully it went away but they see him every 3 to 6 months to check on his eyes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I had a period of about 6 months in 1994 when they appeared regularly, then once or twice every few years. My last episode was about 18 months ago but nothing since then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I have some in both eyes.

The ones in my right eye really mess with shooting open sites at times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

haha funny
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Normal to have some as your eyes age and the vitreous thickens. Floaters are from the vitreous tugging against the retina and pulling bits off that sail inside your eyeball.

If you suddenly have a lot of floaters and or see flashing lights or a dark area in your peripheral vision, get to a retinal doctor now.

After taking a hard shot in boxing, I had tons of black floaters appear buzzing around like gnats. Ignored it, and 2 weeks later vision started failing. 6am the next morning got emergency retinal detachment surgery.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a few and im 21. rarely notice them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#44]
25, have had them for as long as I can remember.

Am I going to go blind when I get old?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm 22 and have had a couple floating around in both eyes for pretty much ever as far as I know.

Eye doc says they're normal and they don't really bug me anyway.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Normal to have some as your eyes age and the vitreous thickens. Floaters are from the vitreous tugging against the retina and pulling bits off that sail inside your eyeball.

If you suddenly have a lot of floaters and or see flashing lights or a dark area in your peripheral vision, get to a retinal doctor now.

After taking a hard shot in boxing, I had tons of black floaters appear buzzing around like gnats. Ignored it, and 2 weeks later vision started failing. 6am the next morning got emergency retinal detachment surgery.
View Quote

Sudden changes in quantity and type are definite "Get thee to a dr, STAT" signals.
Don't ignore it, or "hope it'll go away".

If you do get a vitrectomy(sp) (eyeball fluid replacement) it's not unknown to develop cataracts soon thereafter.

All in all, it's better than going blind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sudden changes in quantity and type are definite "Get thee to a dr, STAT" signals.

If you do get a vitrectomy(sp) (eyeball fluid replacement) it's not unknown to develop cataracts soon thereafter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had vitrectomy, lasering, and scleral buckle installed all at once. Most excruciating balls-in-a-vice pain I've ever experienced for 3 weeks straight. Plus getting to enjoy it face down 24/7 the entire time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Got a few but always have.  I see them the most against blue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess they are pretty common, but generally go unnoticed.  My old histology professor brought it up in our first lab.  Since you spend a lot of time hunched over a microscope, you tend to notice them more easily.  I think I remember him suggesting tilting back, and looking at the ceiling for a bit.  This helps get the floaters out of your FOV for a bit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#50]

I'm 63 and I have them, and have for many years.

It's not usually a problem, except when I'm reading, sometimes.  

To me it looks like a soft focus strand of dust, or maybe a microscope view of a virus, that drifts.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top