Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.  I think my wife said one killed a young one once.  Maybe not.

They both have killed birds though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Chases, but doesn't have the tactics or speed to actually get one.
They always make it to the trees or top of the fence first.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Training is easy
View Quote

Plenty of people train their dogs to be squirrel dogs for hunting.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Dog will hunt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Squirrels? No... But the warhounds go apeshit over birds and rabbits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This dog has killed 6 squirrels in the last two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/01F17iO.jpg
View Quote

Squirrels are furry mammals.  I believe what you have there is an ostrich.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

My Shih Tzu HATES squirrels, rabbits, dillos, possums, raccoons.  There was one little tree rat that would hang in front of the door into my house. Door is all glass.  I swear that fucker was taunting him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a dog that chases everything that moves...including flies
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Our female beagle is obsessive about it.
View Quote

Yes sir! Our youngest female will stalk them until she's in striking distance and then make a death lunge & shake them to death like rag dolls. Had a huge crop of sunflowers this year. She was out from dawn to dark. Very cool, calculating, skilled hunters. Love the beagles.

Beagle huntress

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My dog will try to kill any animal that is in our yard that he feels does not belong there. And its all his decision, if he doesn't like it, it will die. Crazy mf'er.
View Quote

My Anatolian is the same way..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had Dog Vader less than a month and I just seen him try climb a tree to kill Mr. Squirrel. Funny as hell.
View Quote

OMG My dog is pathologically insane when it comes to squirrels. Probably a cumulative condition caused by never being able to actually catch one.

He has entertained the community for years at the park, during little league softball games, by trying to ascend to the middle of a tree growing there. I swear he has hang time. He has launched himself at the lower branches six feet off the ground, closed his jaws over the branch, and hung there for minutes a time. You would think he was a cat from the way he walks up the trunk, then the jaws take over from there. I wish I had video, it's quite funny, and he does it with every tree he can latch onto.

In all the years I've had him he gives it his all, but it's never quite good enough. Medium sized German shepherd mix, very fast....bu not fast enough. And unforutantely not smart enough either. I let him out into the yard once after one. Vast expanse of yard, with one trash can in the entire vista. Dog starts to go after squirrel, squirrel runs behind trash can, dog gets confused. ("Which way did he go George, which way did he go?!?!) Derp

I love my dog.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
My pitbull is faster than squirrels, she catches up to them and then just sniffs their tail as they run to and eventually up a tree lol.  It's hilarious.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an in shape black mouth cur and a fat ass black lab. The Cur is damn fast and could catch them if fatty didnt sound like a screaming bull coming at them. For those that don't know,  Curs were bread to run hogs down. She is also a mole killing machine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
No.  We have no squirrels on our mountain.  My lab likes birds and bunnies!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
she just tried and failed at a woodchuck....

we're working smarter next time - around the house and up the driveway for maximum stealth.....

I need to get her a hunting collar without all the dangling tags
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything that runs from her is fair game in her mind. The only thing she ever catches are lizards. I try to discourage her. Nothing better than discovering a bifurcated lizard before I've had my coffee...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, my cairn sits on the back of the couch in the family room so he see out the window and watch the little rats.  When he sees one he runs to the door and rocks back and forth til you open it.  And away he goes!  But we have a fence and they can get over that into the trees before he gets them(so far).

Buddy of mine in high school had a dog that would chase them onto the chain link fence, and they would sit at the top and tease him.  One day it was rainy and Duke didn't stop in time and hit the fence.  Stupid squirrel fell inside, end of squirrel.  And Duke gave up on stopping, he would just run into the fance as fast as he could, because every once in a while they would fall into the yard!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This dog has killed 6 squirrels in the last two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/01F17iO.jpg

You sir don't know an ostrich from a hole in the ground!

That is a Possum for sure!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Dogs will be dogs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two Original Mountain Curs.  The breed's existence pretty much revolves around treeing squirrels (and raccoons).

Yes, my dogs go after squirrels.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got a mountain feist bred for squirrels. Damn thing goes bonkers over them.
View Quote

Same here.

It's what she was born to do.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but our labs love to hunt deer.

Every year they get a couple of fawns added to their tally.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My beagle is 14.5

View Quote

She will still make a half hearted attempt, but she is way past her prime.

LOL!!

My beagle/dachound mix used to chase them and they were always just out of reach. I kind of think she didn't really want to catch them.

My beagle will bark at them and tree them, then I try to shoot them with the pellet gun for them to eat. Sometimes I can't because there are too many witnesses but they don't understand. It's so sad when that happens.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Even parrots hate the little rat fuckers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb3Gq1gqrYI
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#25]
My Doxies try all the time, watched one collide head on with a squirrel at full speed once, funny as hell
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#26]
oh hell yes. mine would be the happiest dog in the world if she could just climb a freaking tree.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Babe is a squirrel hunting machine.

When she takes me for a walk, she gets five points
for spotting one and another five points if she trees it.

Lots of fun.

Has been known to climb a tree or two in
hot pursuit.

She also loves to hunt voles....Totally
different approach.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/Babo47/Project153-1-2.jpg

View Quote

You want to make some puppies?  I am 100% serious.  I like the looks of your dog and Elvis is a perfect sire.  Best dog I have ever owned

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]
You say the word "squirrel" and the ears go up. She hasn't gotten one yet, but she still tries.

At the moment, though, she's all into my basil plants looking for a gecko she's chasing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#30]
This little bastard comes to my door every morning to bark at my dogs and piss them off. He knows just as soon as he sees me to run for his life because my dogs are coming for him.

Yes, he is barking in this pic.
Dogs are Jack Russell and Dachshund Beagle mix.

The Jack Russell goes up the kids play set rock wall after him. Came close a few times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My dog chases them every chance she gets. She's 11 now and not slowing down,  she's killed more critters than I can count. She lives for it and she barks and runs when she's dreaming.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This little bastard comes to my door every morning to bark at my dogs and piss them off. He knows just as soon as he sees me to run for his life because my dogs are coming for him.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/ackspac/20140911_083352_zpsy9t5cktl.jpg
View Quote

You need a rat trap
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top