Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, it sucks when someone you trust steals your stuff.  Believe me, I know this from experience.  Get your own place, and start rebuilding.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that one or the other knows something about this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

I'm willing to bet that one or the other knows something about this.

+1

No flame, OP, but this has inside job written all over it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And your other roommate and his gf didn't hear anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did you have it stolen?

Sry, when I see people say "I had something bad...." it just reminds me of saying "I had my oil changed today" or the like... meaning I precipitated the event.

I honestly have no idea.  No "beef" with anyone or a reason to be suspicious.

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?

And your other roommate and his gf didn't hear anything?

This whole story stinks.

Back in the day my ex husband used to hang out with a group of nerdowells. He had poor people judging skills and these guys were just plain trouble. That's one reason I left.

His friends girlfriends sister hung out with the nerdowells and they stole ex and friend blind, right under their noses. More or less bragged about it. Even had him thinking at one time I had something to do with it.

They had guns stolen, motorcycle engines stolen, tools stolen . . .

One of them had already done some time. But they were his "friiiieeennndddss"

The older you get, the less "roommate" you have, the better judgement you will hopefully have, and the less breakins you will have.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

If you want your guns and valuables back, start beating your roommate and his gf until they tell you where they are or who they sold them to.

Seriously.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

You're kidding, right?

If you want your guns and valuables back, start beating your roommate and his gf until they tell you where they are or who they sold them to.

Seriously.  

I know I'm not supposed to advocate violence, but this ^ ^ ^ is exactly what I would recommend!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Page three says the roomate dun it.
View Quote

And they orchestrated the rest of the silliness as a cover.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 2 roommates. One was home, in his room, either sleeping or watching tv in his room when they thieves were in the house....

???????  Something's off....At first the roommate and his girlfriend were BOTH home and then later the roommate was home ALONE?????

Maybe the roommate is lying abt the girlfriend!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have 2 roommates. One was home, in his room, either sleeping or watching tv in his room when they thieves were in the house....

???????  Something's off....At first the roommate and his girlfriend were BOTH home and then later the roommate was home ALONE?????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, she was home.  They can't be apart...ever...

I was purely talking about my roommates, roommates gf was there.  At least as far as I know, since I wasn't there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Inside job sounds like it. Roomates are always trouble.
get a decoy safe. Some old piece of junk that cannot be opened. They will spend a lot of time on that.
I heard someone bought a safe and the thieves stole the whole thing.  Presumably opening it later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just want to know how your dog got stuffed in a closet by strangers without making a peep?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This.  More often than not, it's traced back to someone that knows someone you know.  People talk, and sooner or later one of the people they talk to is a fucking thief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to take a long hard look at your "friends" and your "friends" "friends".   Someone knew you were gone.

This.  More often than not, it's traced back to someone that knows someone you know.  People talk, and sooner or later one of the people they talk to is a fucking thief.

QFT.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
will keep my eyes out.  good thing its a distinctive gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That sucks. Theives are scum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
ok thanks for the clarification.  Good Luck OP!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just want to know how your dog got stuffed in a closet by strangers without making a peep?

She's a pretty calm dog.  If they had broken in she would have barked.  But considering they ended up just walking out of my roommate's room (we'll call him roommate B from now on), I'm sure my dog was just sleeping on the couch like she always does at night.  Shes 40lbs and 13 years old, I think a complete stranger could pick her up no problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

She's a pretty calm dog.  If they had broken in she would have barked.  But considering they ended up just walking out of my roommate's room (we'll call him roommate B from now on), I'm sure my dog was just sleeping on the couch like she always does at night.  Shes 40lbs and 13 years old, I think a complete stranger could pick her up no problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.  Maybe that.

Oooooor...

They weren't a stranger to the dog, and so the dog didn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck OP.  I'm in Central MO too and will keep an eye out.

You might ask around and see if any neighbors have security cameras that may have caught unusual traffic in the neighborhood around that time.  Ya never know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Odd that the thief didn't hurt the dog.

It's almost like they knew her and didn't want to hurt her.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that doesn't strike you as strange?

Unless this is a guy you are best friends with and trust completely I would take a long hard look at the possibility that he is the thief.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Send the make / model / serial # of the stolen guns to your local FFL's and pawn shops, along with a reward offer.  You can find the list of them at http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs.

Also keep an eye on all of the local/state FB firearm sales groups, Backpage, and Armslist.
View Quote

This is very good advice.  Wouldn't hurt to post a flyer at some of the local ranges too.

If you live with roommates and have stuff worth stealing; you need some form of surveillance cam in your room that can be turned on when you leave.

I'll keep an eye out here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You found your accomplices.....nobody is that quiet.    I feel bad for you OP....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You found your accomplices.....nobody is that quiet.    I feel bad for you OP....  

Your roommates robbed you, or threw a party and showed your shit off and someone else robbed you when they came back.

My ass they slept through it, that doesn't happen IRL
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly.

No question about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

I have 2 roommates.  One was home, in his room, either sleeping or watching tv in his room when they thieves were in the house.  The other roommate was gone, and his room is on the other side of the house. This is where thieves entered.  Some of his stuff was stolen, but he did not have nearly as many things of value.

TO CLARIFY:

Regardless, you aren't thinking rationally.

Put yourself in the mind of a burglar.

How do you select your target?  How do you decide how much time you have?  How do you determine how best to enter?

How do you even think to risk such an event knowing someone is home, and when doing so, how do you know what part of the house to "avoid" so as not to wake up the "deep sleeper?"

Burglars don't break into houses they know are occupied and steal that much stuff.  It just doesn't happen.  That's Hollywood shit.  And if they don't know its occupied, they don't manage to coincidentally break in far enough away and never stumble into the wrong room or take the wrong stuff.

Try to envision a single scenario that makes ANY sort of sense and in which your roommate who was at home had nothing to do with this.

True. Cat burglars are relatively rare and they almost never come in and haul out a whole bunch of shit while people are sleeping. They certainly don't do it when there are multiple people there with the TV blaring.

Your roommates set you up or took all of your shit themselves.

Exactly.

No question about it.

Yeah, I don't see someone steeling this much shit with someone home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But far, far too often, peeople with $10,000+ invested in guns, won't drop a grand on a safe.  Then you have the "this is an affront to my RIGHTS!" growd who gets all indignant when people suggest they lock their shit up.

These kind of thefts happen all too often - some of us can't scream loud enough about the need to LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!

I have been the victim of a burglary.  My safe was not penetrated, but they did make a half-assed attempt.

Even if he DID have a safe, answers about what kind of safe, and how it was penetrated, are still useful information that might teach the rest of us a thing or to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, for the "ZOMG SAFE" guys, some of us, like myself, can't afford a real safe.

Some of us have gun cabinets, some of us keep a gun or two outside of lock and key for, you know, self defense.

And sometimes, just sometimes, a criminal either can get a locked storage box open because they're pimp, or they happen to know someone who has access.

But far, far too often, peeople with $10,000+ invested in guns, won't drop a grand on a safe.  Then you have the "this is an affront to my RIGHTS!" growd who gets all indignant when people suggest they lock their shit up.

These kind of thefts happen all too often - some of us can't scream loud enough about the need to LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!

I have been the victim of a burglary.  My safe was not penetrated, but they did make a half-assed attempt.

Even if he DID have a safe, answers about what kind of safe, and how it was penetrated, are still useful information that might teach the rest of us a thing or to.

Shit my safe protect my guns from my ex wife
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm going with a new theory.

OP is conveniently out of town.  
His firearms are conveniently between two secure storage locations, and it's just a matter of blind luck that he was targeted during the short time window in which they were particularly vulnerable.  
Roomate A is conveniently asleep with the TV turned all the way up.  
Dog is conveniently too old/useless to even bark at a stranger, while they pick her up and lock her in a room.  
Roomate B conveniently is unaware of all of this, and has also "lost" some shit that's of no practical value.  
A big thumbprint is conveniently found on a computer monitor, by the OP.  So, fuck evidence trail and all that jazz.  
OP is on a large internet forum trying to build a history of having gotten his shit ganked, and man it's just such bad luck that they happened to pick that exact time and place to commit a random crime, which is characteristically rare in his area.
He vehemently denies that one or both of his roomates could possibly have been involved.

New theory: OP is in on it too, and it's setup for an insurance scam.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
On the radio this morning; some small town car dealer was busted with upwards of 400 stolen guns.
Was in Central MO.
I'll try to find town and dealer name.

ETA: Hilltop Motors, Waynesville,
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need to take a long hard look at your "friends" and your "friends" "friends".   Someone knew you were gone.
View Quote

This.

And not saying that you did, but this is why you don't advertise time away from home via social media.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

His firearms are conveniently between two secure storage locations, and it's just a matter of blind luck that he was targeted during the short time window in which they were particularly vulnerable.  
Dog is conveniently too old/useless to even bark at a stranger, while they pick her up and lock her in a room.  
Roomate B conveniently is unaware of all of this, and has also "lost" some shit that's of no practical value.  
A big thumbprint is conveniently found on a computer monitor, by the OP.  So, fuck evidence trail and all that jazz.  
OP is on a large internet forum trying to build a history of having gotten his shit ganked, and man it's just such bad luck that they happened to pick that exact time and place to commit a random crime, which is characteristically rare in his area.
He vehemently denies that one or both of his roomates could possibly have been involved.

View Quote

More likely than the roommate having no involvement imo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sherlocks new apprentice just arrived in town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote:

Shit my safe protect my guns from my ex wife [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_
Not if she files a false PO in a high conflict divorce and the law comes to confiscate your hardware.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was someone very close to you.  Maybe your roommate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#30]
P.S.
If it was an inside job, why did they hide the dog in the closet?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Lots of pawn and gun shops in Columbia.  Start making the rounds with pictures of your guns.  With instructions for them to get the ID of the seller.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#32]
How do you steal a unique rifle?

... wait for it...

... wait for it...

You neek up on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
P.S.
If it was an inside job, why did they hide the dog in the closet?
View Quote

So it wouldn't run outside when they are going in and out with all of the OP's crap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How do you steal a unique rifle?
-snip-
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lots of pawn and gun shops in Columbia.  Start making the rounds with pictures of your guns.  With instructions for them to get the ID of the seller.
View Quote

Pawnbrokers are FFL's.  If they have a gun in for sale and don't already have the prior seller listed in the A&D book, they're violating federal law.

Pictures are also useless; as has been pointed out that black and yellow stock most likely is going to get painted over, if it hasn't been done already.  Make, model, serial number of stolen guns with a and reward offer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bump, fuck thieves.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope the OP gets his property back; the entire fault lies with the thieving scumbag who stole It.

Yes I have a safe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?
View Quote

Do you live in Columbia OP?  Which area?  I remember it well.  Great place to live.  But there are some sketchy mother fuckers and some shit neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Roommate and his girlfriend stole your shit and your other roommate's shit, and tried to make it look like an outsider did it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I just can't wrap my head around entering into someone elses home, let alone stealing shit from them.  I just don't understand people.

Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#41]
This screams inside job op. Your room mate had lesser value stuff stolen, I'd be suspicious of that, sounds deceptive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A "safe", whether it's $500 or $50,000, is only one layer of security.  My Brother and I scrimped and saved for several years and bought a $3000 safe.  But it's only there to slow them down while the alarm company summons the cops. Same with the fire proofing, it's just there to protect the contents until the fire department puts out the fire.  

And a SimplySafe alarm system is $300, takes an afternoon to install and requires no drilling.

I live in a 1200 sqft hovel and I don't make a ton of money, yet I have a safe, security system and barking dogs.  If I can do it, anyone can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.

A "safe", whether it's $500 or $50,000, is only one layer of security.  My Brother and I scrimped and saved for several years and bought a $3000 safe.  But it's only there to slow them down while the alarm company summons the cops. Same with the fire proofing, it's just there to protect the contents until the fire department puts out the fire.  

And a SimplySafe alarm system is $300, takes an afternoon to install and requires no drilling.

I live in a 1200 sqft hovel and I don't make a ton of money, yet I have a safe, security system and barking dogs.  If I can do it, anyone can.

This is exactly correct. I have moved 3 times in the last 18 months and still have a safe and a monitored alarm. With the Simplisafe system, it is as easy as pulling the sensors off the wall and moving them. You own the system and can move it wherever and whenever you want all by yourself.

It isn't necessarily applicable to OP's scenario, but something everyone should consider.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Hate to say it OP, but I'd bet dollars to dogturds that you know the person that stole your stuff.

You just don't know which one yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I could afford a GP rifle...............or a safe.  Guess which one I chose?

Security is layers.  If my alarm goes off, and someone has time to dick with my safe, my firearms instructor neighbor will gladly ventilate them.  Then the only concern would be purchasing beer, bourbon,  and brisket for the reward.

I have seen this plan in action a few times with strange cars in the driveway or from forgetting to close a gate.  Very observant.........

To kill the suspense, I bought a very nice safe, and a Remington 700. I thought that someday I would send the Rem off to GP for some treatment.  The gun is a fucking tackdriver and I haven't been able to shoot out the barrel.  

I also priced insurance.  This factored in to the quality of safe I bought, and the countermeasures.  Insurance is not cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, for the "ZOMG SAFE" guys, some of us, like myself, can't afford a real safe.

Some of us have gun cabinets, some of us keep a gun or two outside of lock and key for, you know, self defense.

And sometimes, just sometimes, a criminal either can get a locked storage box open because they're pimp, or they happen to know someone who has access.

Security is layers.  If my alarm goes off, and someone has time to dick with my safe, my firearms instructor neighbor will gladly ventilate them.  Then the only concern would be purchasing beer, bourbon,  and brisket for the reward.

I have seen this plan in action a few times with strange cars in the driveway or from forgetting to close a gate.  Very observant.........

To kill the suspense, I bought a very nice safe, and a Remington 700. I thought that someday I would send the Rem off to GP for some treatment.  The gun is a fucking tackdriver and I haven't been able to shoot out the barrel.  

I also priced insurance.  This factored in to the quality of safe I bought, and the countermeasures.  Insurance is not cheap.

It is pretty cheap. Contact these guys:

http://www.collectinsure.com/

They'll do you right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#45]
LEO's just busted a guy in Waynesville for something and they found over 300 firearms and a whole bunch of them were confirmed stolen.  Might contact Pulaski County sheriff's office and see if yours was one of them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.
View Quote

Your logic is HIGHLY flawed.

ANY RSC (something more robust than a Stack-On cabinet) is not buying security, it's buying TIME.  That is the time needed to pry the safe open.

Burglars DO NOT want to spend a lot of time in most residences  Longer times equates to higher chance of being discovered. Also, in the case of the OP, if they had started prying on a $500-$1000 RSC, it would make noise, and that might attract the attention of the sleeping roommate.   That is another thing the burglars would not want to do--create noise that creates attention.

So, in a nutshell, using the logic that "if I cannot have a bombproof safe, it's not worth having a safe at all" is pretty flawed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They'll do you right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll do you right.

That's at least the second time you posted a link to their website in this thread alone.

Do you work for them or something?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just can't wrap my head around entering into someone elses home, let alone stealing shit from them.  I just don't understand people.

Sorry OP.
View Quote

Right.
But then again we are what is known as normal people who have a conscience and drag our ass out of bed at 5:00 a.m. every morning to toil away at work just so we can have a few nice things so the other asshats of the world can come and steal.
Bastards.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's at least the second time you posted a link to their website in this thread alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll do you right.

No, somebody posted AFTER me and claimed that insurance wasn't cheap. I posted that link in case that member checks back. I don't work or have any affiliation(well, besides my insurance contract) with them. This site led me to them and I've been happy, so I'm returning the favor.

You can get about $5000 in insurance on your homeowners(if you have it). Some(my) homeowners made me get the guns appraised to insure them. Collectors didn't and let me insure ancillary parts are part of my collection. Just because I think it's a company worth touting, doesn't mean I'm shilling. Just a pleased customer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]
THAT SUX.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top