Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
What am I in for?  How much pain?  How much money?  How quick of a recovery?  Do I need to leave my stuff to someone?  

I have had an impacted wisdom tooth for the past 5 years and two different dentists told me to leave it if it wasn't bothering me.  It wasn't bothering me.  Until now.  And now it's really bothering me.  The oral surgeon can't do the consultation until Wednesday.  

Suggestions?  Drinks to make the time go quicker and the pain fade away?  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Pain meds, use them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Green label Jack Daniels up to the consult.

You will be forwarded to a dental surgeon, who will extract said tooth in fantastic fashion.

Pepper thine angus, the bill will be equally fantastic.

Dibs on your shit if you don't come out of anesthesia.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I can only answer one of your questions.

It hurts really bad.
I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at once (done because I insisted on it).
I got up, said this ain't shit, and drove to work.

When that anesthesia wore off, holy shit.
I was lightheaded it hurt so bad.
I have been healthy my whole life so this may not mean much, but it was the worst pain I ever endured and this was probably 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i had all four of mine out at once too. I was knocked out for the procedure with some sort of an iv administered anesthesia...all I remember is waking up with a mouth full of bloody cotton. Mom drove me home, def couldn't have driven myself...too fucked up from the anesthesia. I don't remember the pain afterwards being that bad, worst pain I remember is that the stitches in my gums were slicing up the inside of my cheeks.

I didn't need the pain meds for more than a day or two, pain wasn't too bad after that.

I had dental insurance at the time, so i don't remember how much it was. Probably a few g's?

In the meantime, do they hurt b/c they're infected? see if you expel some puss out of there somehow, push on it, poke it, etc. that might relieve some pressure. no advice other than that. If it's nerves, I think cloves or clove oil can help with that.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in high school I had all four surgically removed. Bastards never gave me anything for pain, just said take over the counter Tylenol. I hurt like a mother for the first two days after that it wasn't to bad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I had all 4 taken out this July.

Between the nitrous and local anesthesia there was no pain. I mean I couldn't feel anything from my nose down and all my limbs were like tingly and stuff! No pain when they actually extracted, just some slight pressure.

Recovery was about 3 days I think. I spent the whole time chasing vicodin with bourbon. They gave me like 3 refills of it so the entire recovery period was a drug fueled haze for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
All four out at once, all either partially or totally impacted.  Knocked out, so don't remember anything between 10 seconds after the IV going in and waking up acting like a drunk idiot in recovery.  Pain manageable with meds, just uncomfortable for a few days.  Mouth was jacked up pretty good between all the cotton and sutures and swelling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Prepare for swelling the size of a ping pong ball. Recovery will take about a week. Vicoden ES is your friend.

I had to have mine surgically removed, I didn't go under just got the novacaine. It's not painful at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one that got a cavity, the pain was insane and the only thing that would stop it was to hold water in my mouth to keep the air from getting to it. I almost drowned a couple times trying to stay awake on the couch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Uppers as civie in my mid-30s, done by highly recommend oral surgeon as my dentist didn't want to do it in case there were issues that he didn't have the equipment for. There were no issues. Gas and IV, didn't feel a thing, and walked out of the office feeling like I pounded a 6 pack. Script for pain meds was filled but I never took a single pill, not even an aspirin. Treated soreness with beer for a couple of days and all was well. You'll be fine.

Oh ya, crushed ice on the tooth to get to sleep until the doc can rip it out or the penicillin kicks in. You treat the tooth pain with anti-biotics, not painkillers.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Impacted as it's impacting your 2nd molar?  

If that's the case then that molar will have to be repaired after taking out your wisdom tooth(3rd molar).

Yes, it's very, very painful.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Consult is at the oral surgeon.  

I'm 29 one wisdom tooth came in successfully 5 years ago, this one did not.

Yes, impacting in to the 2nd molar.

I got a root canal on the 2nd molar 6 years ago.  

All other teeth are pearly white and healthy.  

So price is a couple g's?  Crap.  No more guns this year.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 15 year old son had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed in August. Price rage was $2100 with anesthesia.

Good luck!

Mike
View Quote

Hopefully that means under a grand...or Ina perfectly world $525.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
all 4 done last year at over 50 , wish I had done them when I was young like the dentist suggested .
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Had all four totaly impacted. No biggie, ate pizza before the meds wore off. Really
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
It was like $500-$600 for me for all four surgically extracted. It wasn't too bad. Getting my tonsils out in my early 20s was worse. I got an infection in the side of my gum a week after though. Holy shit did that suck until it popped/ruptured and the pus seeped out and relieved the pressure. A similar infection caused by one of the impacted teeth is what prompted me to goto the dentist in the first place and then get them removed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had all four totaly impacted. No biggie, ate pizza before the meds wore off. Really
View Quote

Blender pizza or normal pizza?  I guess I need to figure out food for the week.

When my root canal was done, I was back to work in 2 hours.  That guy was good. But I will have to sell my kids to go back to him.  . The sad thing is that when that happened and insurance refused to cover it, I decided that if my dental rates ever went up I wouldn't renew dental.  That was 2 years ago.  I wonder if they would have covered something like this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When my root canal was done, I was back to work in 2 hours.  That guy was good. But I will have to sell my kids to go back to him.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my root canal was done, I was back to work in 2 hours.  That guy was good. But I will have to sell my kids to go back to him.  

Whole, just chewed with the front portion of my mouth. They will juice you up pretty good. The thing about mine was they had to cut my gums open & stich them shut. So no hole for food to get trapped..
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a dentist and extract a fair number of wisdom teeth.  There's really no way to tell how tough it will be without seeing your xray, and everybody is different but uppers are typically easier than lowers.  You'll have a much easier time at 29 than you would at 39.  Expect to be sore and swollen for a few days.  Ice and 600-800mg Ibuprofen (I'll usually write a prescription, some will tell you to buy over the counter.  same difference) ASAP after you're done.  I usually tell patients to take the ibuprofen for the first two days no matter what.  I'll typically prescribe Vicodin, sometimes Percocet if they were really tough.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm a dentist and extract a fair number of wisdom teeth.  There's really no way to tell how tough it will be without seeing your xray, and everybody is different but uppers are typically easier than lowers.  You'll have a much easier time at 29 than you would at 39.  Expect to be sore and swollen for a few days.  Ice and 600-800mg Ibuprofen (I'll usually write a prescription, some will tell you to buy over the counter.  same difference) ASAP after you're done.  I usually tell patients to take the ibuprofen for the first two days no matter what.  I'll typically prescribe Vicodin, sometimes Percocet if they were really tough.  
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  

Rough price range?  As little as $500 up to $2000 a fair assumption?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Strike that reply, uppers are a breeze. Try to get some good pain pills out of the deal if you can, this is one of the few times they don't mind doing it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  

It depends on your insurance, how complicated it is, and whether you have any kind of sedation.

In my office (I'm an employee so I don't set the fees), the full fee is about $200-$500 depending on complexity.  Nitrous oxide can add a couple hundred, oral sedation adds about $500, and IV sedation is around a thousand and up, depending on the time of the procedure.  Insurance reduces the cost of the extraction significantly, depending on the plan, but doesn't cover nitrous or sedation.  For a single tooth, unless it's going to be really hard, or you're extremely nervous, nitrous should be plenty to keep you comfortable.

All that being said, I'm a general dentist.  An oral surgeon's fees are going to be significantly higher.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I still have all my teeth.

They are going to remove all 4 wisdom teeth (who would have thunk I had the two others, the other one seems fine).    The x ray shows all 4 are impacted.

General anesthesia, about an hour long.  Their billing department is going to get back to me.  Based on the entire procedure taking about an hour, I would rate the impacted teeth removal as being normal.  Surely they won't bill out nearly $2k for an hours worth of work?  

They said that IF I had the Aetna dental plan that I used to have, it typically covers about 15% of the procedure.   The consult was only a $15 copay through my medical at least.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They are going to remove all 4 wisdom teeth (who would have thunk I had the two others, the other one seems fine).    The x ray shows all 4 are impacted.

General anesthesia, about an hour long.  Their billing department is going to get back to me.  Based on the entire procedure taking about an hour, I would rate the impacted teeth removal as being normal.  Surely they won't bill out nearly $2k for an hours worth of work?  

They said that IF I had the Aetna dental plan that I used to have, it typically covers about 15% of the procedure.   The consult was only a $15 copay through my medical at least.
View Quote

Technically, it's only about 15 minutes of work for the surgeon.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one removed under a local anasthetic. Was prescribed Motrin for the pain. It was just a dull ache, didn't even bother with the Motrin.

This is the important part:

DO NOT SUCK ANYTHING, EVEN A LITTLE BIT FOR A DAY OR TWO AFTER GETTING THE TOOTH REMOVED! You will end up with a "Dry Socket", meaning there will be the exposed root (that would be a bare nerve, BTW) sitting in the bottom of the hole where your tooth was, and it will be permanently sensitive. You don't want to disturb the blood clot that forms after your removal, let nature do it's thing. A dry socket will put you on the floor they hurt so bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What am I in for?  How much pain?  How much money?  How quick of a recovery?  Do I need to leave my stuff to someone?  

I have had an impacted wisdom tooth for the past 5 years and two different dentists told me to leave it if it wasn't bothering me.  It wasn't bothering me.  Until now.  And now it's really bothering me.  The oral surgeon can't do the consultation until Wednesday.  

View Quote

I was in almost exactly the same boat. They didn't bother me until they did. Then they were a piece of cake once they were out. I actually laughed (gas) while he was hammering them out of my head. The oral surgeon said "See, I told you this would be funny!"
The first night wasn't great because I kept spitting out blood, but the pain wasn't bad. I didn't even need pain meds.
Also, ask about using local only or nitrous. General anesthesia shouldn't be needed for a "normal" extraction of impacted wisdom teeth and it adds a shit ton to the bill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
It's too bad you're not closer to Mexico, they have some great dentists down there to remove teeth
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I had all 4 cut out when 2 of them had exploded and came out in pieces and one had poked into my sinuses good times
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

General anesthesia
, about an hour long.

View Quote

Be careful with that... Seems that dentists have a track record similar to that of Mengele when it comes to dental general anesthesia.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I had 4 wisdom teeth and another surgically removed under local anesthesia.

The day before that I had 4 fillings and a root canal done. The extractions were done the day before Thanksgiving.   I was changing jobs and my insurance was expiring.

Not that big of a deal. Just some 800 mg motrin.

Luckily no dry sockets.  Dry sockets are the worst from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, a question for the dentists here.

Why not just pull the second molars and let the third molars erupt normally?  Seems like that would be a lot less traumatic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It depends on your insurance, how complicated it is, and whether you have any kind of sedation.

In my office (I'm an employee so I don't set the fees), the full fee is about $200-$500 depending on complexity.  Nitrous oxide can add a couple hundred, oral sedation adds about $500, and IV sedation is around a thousand and up, depending on the time of the procedure.  Insurance reduces the cost of the extraction significantly, depending on the plan, but doesn't cover nitrous or sedation.  For a single tooth, unless it's going to be really hard, or you're extremely nervous, nitrous should be plenty to keep you comfortable.

All that being said, I'm a general dentist.  An oral surgeon's fees are going to be significantly higher.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  

So glad I have about five oral surgeons on my block here in metro ATL.  Impacted wisdom teeth are not a practice builder for us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok, a question for the dentists here.

Why not just pull the second molars and let the third molars erupt normally?  Seems like that would be a lot less traumatic.
View Quote

Because they won't erupt "normally" among other reasons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
man up
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Be careful with that... Seems that dentists have a track record similar to that of Mengele when it comes to dental general anesthesia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

General anesthesia
, about an hour long.

General anesthesia is for civilized folks.  When I worked on the Navajo rez, it was local only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's an extraction.  Gonna hurt for a while.  Hurt like someone just removed a body part hurt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had 4 wisdom teeth and another surgically removed under local anesthesia.

The day before that I had 4 fillings and a root canal done. The extractions were done the day before Thanksgiving.   I was changing jobs and my insurance was expiring.

Not that big of a deal. Just some 800 mg motrin.

Luckily no dry sockets.  Dry sockets are the worst from what I've heard.
View Quote

Are you Navajo by chance?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I had all four of mine removed at the same time (military didn't give the option).

It was pretty unpleasant.  Take the drugs, take care of yourself, and don't do shit they tell you not to.  Mine ended up getting infected, spread into the ear and wound up rupturing my eardrum.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I was in college, heard all the horror stories. All 4 were coming out towards my cheeks. At 20 years of age I put it off until 2 were infected.

Went to a "maxillio facial oral surgeon".  He examined the situation, put me on anti-biotics for a week, and then went in.

I had all 4 pulled under general anesthesia.  They gave me pain script and told me not to drink, smoke, or go to class or work for a couple days.

I went home, got scrip filled, and slept off the anesthesia in about two hours.

Woke up, drank a few beers, had a normal evening.

Went to class and then to work the next day, didn't miss a beat.

Never had any problems, had the stitches removed a few days later, and regretted not having it done sooner.

Doc told me I they were TOUGH to remove.

I told him I didn't let the procedure bother me. I learned about Naproxin Sodium then.  They sell it OTC now. Called Aleve.

Anti inflammatory as well as pain relief. I didn't even swell up.

Get em out, if they are bothering you, they will be more trouble than having them removed

YMMV

HOP-SING

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Had mine pulled earlier this year, I'm 33. Top 2 were in, bottom 2 were partially impacted. Had general anesthesia. Procedure went fine, not much pain at all afterwards. I took a friday off and had them yanked around 10 that day. Back to work on Monday, no issues at all. As was said, everyone has a story, but you'll be better off just getting it done. Mine really hurt a few times but it faded after a day or two if you're worried about getting them yanked asap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I had mine (all 4) cut out right before Gulf War 1 started.  Spent the next 4 days or so drooling on myself in a daze all hopped up on codeine and CNN live coverage of the action.
And no, back then they did not knock you out for the procedure.  Buncha pussies....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I had all four removed and it hurt enough I wanted to take the pain meds they gave but nothing like a kidney stone.  I had it done on Friday and went back to work on Monday.  You will need a little recovery time but it's not bad.  Just having one removed may not be bad at all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do it.  Unless you like the idea of possibly losing the tooth in front of it as well at some point down the road.  Then you get two extractions to recover from.

Tick tock Clarice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Partially erupted could mean many things.  Is it mostly in the bone or in the gingiva?  Is it vertical or horizontal or angled?  Hard to diagnose with out x-rays.  Also, everyone respond differently post op.  Some experience severe pain, others barely feel any discomfort.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I had all four of mine removed after an incredibly painful infection that set into the gums surrounding one of them.  I NEVER missed work and I went home 3 days in a row due to the pain.  

Antibiotics cleared up the infection and as scared as I was of having the teeth removed (don't like anything surgical) I wasn't about to risk going through that pain again.  The surgery itself was absolutely nothing.  The oral surgeon gave me some *twilight sleep* IV meds, I woke up (sort of ) on the ride home, slept until the next afternoon and was right as rain after that.  Never any pain at all.  

I've heard horror stories though so I guess it could go either way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh, it's getting done.  I can describe the current week long pain as uncomfortable.   Another week of this and I might figure out how to rip them out myself, before they get to them.  

I have an insanely high pain tolerance, but in my experience, my pain tolerance does not apply to my teeth.  

My biggest concern right now is that I can't eat 8 hours prior.  The only time I go that long without eating is bed time.  That's going to suck.  As far as general anesthesia, I believe that is gas, right?  So I should be good to go for that.  The plan is get the teeth removed Thursday late afternoon, sleep it off, and back to work the next day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Partially erupted could mean many things.  Is it mostly in the bone or in the gingiva?  Is it vertical or horizontal or angled?  Hard to diagnose with out x-rays.  Also, everyone respond differently post op.  Some experience severe pain, others barely feel any discomfort.
View Quote

Three are angled in to the molar and the forth is straight but tight against the molar.  The one bothering me was pushing the most in to the next molar and  broke through the gum, so it feels like there is a hole.  The other three did not break the gum.

Doctor said it was a normal easy surgery and nothing special about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#49]
To add to my previous post

I had mine out when I was about 18. I was given novacaine only. The procedure itself didn't hurt at all. But the dentist was using all the strength he had to get them out. He had one knee up on the arm of the chair and I kept thinking that if the tool slipped, it would go through the back of my head.
Like I said, I went to work and it hurt like hell. Next day I was completely fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have an insanely high pain tolerance, but in my experience, my pain tolerance does not apply to my teeth.  

View Quote

Agree.   I can handle a lot but tooth and/or ear pain will do me in every time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top