Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2014 11:07:35 PM EDT
If Russia moves on Estonia, do NATO jets take off from Belgium, Germany, Turkey, Netherlands, and Italy with canned sunshine?

Russian just recently preformed a cross border raid and picked up an Estonian Intelligence Official a couple days after Obama's visit to Estonia http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/russia-parades-detained-estonian-police-officer

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Homie don't play dat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I would hope that if Russia invaded Estonia we'd find some loophole to get out of our obligations...

Seriously, we should never have expanded NATO to Russia's borders. It was short sighted and dangerous. We should have given the Baltic states a Nuke or two and said "Your security is your own business" and have been done with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody gains from that
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the thing, Estonia probably doesn't want us to back our NATO obligations to Estonia.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would hope that if Russia invaded Estonia we'd find some loophole to get out of our obligations...

Seriously, we should never have expanded NATO to Russia's borders. It was short sighted and dangerous. We should have given the Baltic states a Nuke or two and said "Your security is your own business" and have been done with it.
View Quote

You dont throw your friends under the bus. Have a back bone.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If Russia moves on Estonia, do NATO jets take off from Belgium, Germany, Turkey, Netherlands, and Italy with canned sunshine?

Russian just recently preformed a cross border raid and picked up an Estonian Intelligence Official a couple days after Obama's visit to Estonia http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/russia-parades-detained-estonian-police-officer
View Quote

It will mean a flurry of stern hashtags.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Our foreign policy has been neutered. It will take a WW2 level demonstration of mobilization and commitment to regain the credibility we've lost. We're backing ourselves into a corner that will eventually force us into a major conflict.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You dot throw your friends under the bus. Have a back bone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, when the consequence is a nuclear exchange you throw your friends under a bus. Are millions of dead Americans worth a little over a million Estonians. Seriously, I want you to answer that question. The population of Estonia is 1,300,000. Is that worth a nuclear exchange? We should have never let them into NATO in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nato doesn't have immediate access to nuclear weapons.

The U.K., France or the U.S. would have to contribute.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Here's the thing, Estonia probably doesn't want us to back our NATO obligations to Estonia.
View Quote

This month:

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, when the consequence is a nuclear exchange you throw your friends under a bus. Are millions of dead Americans worth a little over a million Estonians. Seriously, I want you to answer that question. The population of Estonia is 1,300,000. Is that worth a nuclear exchange? We should have never let them into NATO in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree we shouldn't have let them but the promise must be kept.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how Russia does it.

If they move in with some tanks and troops then NATO will counter the same way.

If Russia uses chemical warfare then it is a toss up whether NATO takes it to the next level.

If Russia goes nuke then NATO will respond in kind.

If we had a leader with some balls anyway.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes I wonder if this was what it was like, prior to WW1.  Lots of little BS, treaties, alliances.  And then one  spark, and bam, before anyone realizes what happens, we are at war.  We sure have the media dropping the ball and glossing over the important shit, that is for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nato doesn't have immediate access to nuclear weapons.

View Quote

The U.K., France or the U.S. would have to contribute.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a time when that question never would have needed to be asked, because we had the will and principles, and the Soviets knew that. Now Barack. Chamberlain is blaring weakness over the world loudspeakers, which encourages those actions.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah. Because down the road. When the USA is genuinely in trouble. You want guys who will stand up with you.

Shouldn't have let them in NATO? Shoulda, woulda, coulda. We have obligations to protect them.

Russia ain't going to annihilate herself trying to take over Estonia. The problem is when Russia thinks we're too large of pussies to do anything, and someday might.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Russia won't move on Europe, they'll just let Islam move on Europe, and pick over the leavings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hell yeah. Because down the road. When the USA is genuinely in trouble. You want guys who will stand up with you.

Shouldn't have let them in NATO? Shoulda, woulda, coulda. We have obligations to protect them.

Russia ain't going to annihilate herself trying to take over Estonia. The problem is when Russia thinks we're too large of pussies to do anything, and someday might.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the US is in trouble on the mainland, then nobody else in NATO will be in a position to help. By letting the Baltic States into NATO we deliberately provoked the Russians. NATO is in essence an anti-Russian alliance, just as the Warsaw pact was an anti-US alliance. Having the Baltic states join NATO is the equivalent of the state of New York joining the Warsaw Pact. It was so short sighted it is laughable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If the US is in trouble on the mainland, then nobody else in NATO will be in a position to help. By letting the Baltic States into NATO we deliberately provoked the Russians. NATO is in essence an anti-Russian alliance, just as the Warsaw pact was an anti-US alliance. Having the Baltic states join NATO is the equivalent of the state of New York joining the Warsaw Pact. It was so short sighted it is laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare they want out from under the Russian boot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You either have principles or you don't.  You either recognize a state's right to determine its own path or you don't.  It's that simple.  Russia was engage by NATO every bit as positively as Estonia and others, even more so,  Russia chose to make it an enemy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I were them I'd want out of the Russian boot as well, but it is foolish for the US to guarantee it with NATO Article 5 protection. The US should have given them a Nuclear Submarine and then said 'you're on your own', to risk WWIII over Estonia is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If I were them I'd want out of the Russian boot as well, but it is foolish for the US to guarantee it with NATO Article 5 protection. The US should have given them a Nuclear Submarine and then said 'you're on your own', to risk WWIII over Estonia is retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying that I disagree with you, but WWIII isn't going to be over Estonia. Estonia may be the final straw though
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're ok with us bitching out of our NATO obligations, but you think giving the Estonians a nuclear sub wouldn't piss off the Russians?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally

No shit. Lol

Fuck Russia
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does that logic not apply both ways?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because giving a tyrant a sovereign country as a gift. Avoids world wars, right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because giving a tyrant a sovereign country as a gift. Avoids world wars, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has in the past. Not every tyrant is Hitler.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which event are you thinking of specifically?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A brutal expansionist tyrant who believes in Slavic superiority isn't like Hitler at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Russia cannot into Eesti! Remove Borscht!

But seriously:

Buffer states aren't very good buffers if you don't do shit if they get invaded.

Buffer states aren't very good buffers if you have to go to total nuclear commitment if they get invaded.

For much of the Cold War, there were damned few if any Warsaw Pact invasion scenarios that didn't inevitably escalate to full nuclear exchanges. I have no idea how it plays out now...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. I guess I can see how you'd act in any sort adversity.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuban missile crisis, we took our nukes out of Turkey. Respecting another power's sphere of influence is a good way to maintain peace.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure we do.   Hell, we threw Ukraine right under after promising not to in exchange for their nukes.    Our word isn't worth shit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Cuban missile crisis, we took our nukes out of Turkey. Respecting another power's sphere of influence is a good way to maintain peace.
View Quote

That wasn't free. We made the Soviets take their nukes out
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because I'm not willing to start WWIII over Estonia doesn't mean I don't have a backbone, it just means I'm a realist. If the Russians invade the UK, Germany, or even Poland, I'm willing to man up and fight. Heck, I'd probably be at the recruiting office the next day. I am no coward.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Russia cannot into Eesti! Remove Borscht!

But seriously:

Buffer states aren't very good buffers if you don't do shit if they get invaded.

Buffer states aren't very good buffers if you have to go to total nuclear commitment if they get invaded.

For much of the Cold War, there were damned few if any Warsaw Pact invasion scenarios that didn't inevitably escalate to full nuclear exchanges. I have no idea how it plays out now...
View Quote

Very different.  Russia is the only country that retains nuclear strike doctrine for anything but an existential threat.

A Russian invasion would not prompt a nuclear strike.  NATO is more than capable of fighting off the Russians conventionally, and Russia knows this.  The only real issue is more one of political will.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. We are talking about surrendering a sovereign ally and getting peace in return.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we sure as shit didn't boot Turkey out of NATO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No. We are talking about surrendering a sovereign ally and getting peace in return.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Big difference.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In our time....
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Putin isn't Hitler redux. I don't think he has plans for taking over all of continental Europe. He knows he can't. The fact remains that we expanded our anti-Russian alliance system to his borders. That was stupid of us to do. If we would have let the Ukraine in we'd be in WWIII right now. All I'm saying is that you respect another power's sphere of influence. We didn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#42]
So wait, Britain shouldn't have honored its commitment to Belgium? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So wait, Britain shouldn't have honored its commitment to Belgium? I'm confused.
View Quote

Belgium is not Estonia.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Putin isn't Hitler redux. I don't think he has plans for taking over all of continental Europe. He knows he can't. The fact remains that we expanded our anti-Russian alliance system to his borders. That was stupid of us to do. If we would have let the Ukraine in we'd be in WWIII right now. All I'm saying is that you respect another power's sphere of influence. We didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really should let NATO know they are an "Anti Russian alliance."  Seems they aren't aware.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I agree. But that ship has sailed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A brutal expansionist tyrant who believes in Slavic superiority isn't like Hitler at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the Putin youth

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have no idea how it plays out now...
View Quote

This time next year Russian troops can take r&r in Paris?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree  If we had let Ukraine in, Russia would never have tried the stunt they are trying.

But the whole premise is asinine, as Ukraine never asked to join, nor would they.

Ironically, now they want to.  Russia has that effect on people.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no idea how it plays out now...

I think the nukes come out in Poland, either by NATO when we need to stop an offensive we don't reasonable have hope to reverse, or by the Russian when we reverse their offensive and start rolling east.

Poland is the new Fulda Gap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"If you give a mouse a Crimea, he's going to want a Ukraine."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top