BCM
User Panel

Page / 50
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: left;']

They may have seen him in the last few days...about 75 yards away but he slipped away.  Or so the story is told.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point it's been three weeks, I would wager this guy slipped away or that he's dead. Either that or holed up somewhere in a really well concealed hide site, maybe even something he dug out, who knows how long he's been planning this.

At what point do they pull back and try something else, what indication do they have that he's even still in the area?

They may have seen him in the last few days...about 75 yards away but he slipped away.  Or so the story is told.

I think the last supposed sighting was last monday,  going on 10 days old now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point it's been three weeks, I would wager this guy slipped away or that he's dead. Either that or holed up somewhere in a really well concealed hide site, maybe even something he dug out, who knows how long he's been planning this.

At what point do they pull back and try something else, what indication do they have that he's even still in the area?

If he's really just out running around and they keep seeing him but can't nail him down, I don't know, that seems incredible to me, as in not credible.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hopefully they pack up soon.  I don't want to even imagine how much money is being burned on this boondogle.
View Quote
Don't forget all the state revenue lost due to hunting being closed in the area. I get that LE wants to be professional and be considered professionals, but when your agency has killed as many officers in the last week as the guy you are chasing it starts to look rather bad.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't forget all the state revenue lost due to hunting being closed in the area. I get that LE wants to be professional and be considered professionals, but when your agency has killed as many officers in the last week as the guy you are chasing it starts to look rather bad.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully they pack up soon.  I don't want to even imagine how much money is being burned on this boondogle.

Not just hunting revenue, leaf change season has started, the B&Bs are hurting from the city folk not coming out to watch the leaves turn, and that trickles down to the little tourist shops and resturaunts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
the Federal guys are having a great time.  M&IE plus probably some scheduled overtime.

There are a lot of agencies peacocking and trying to beat their sister agencies to the collar.

Dude needs to be caught.  But, like the Boston Bombing, it's a clusterfuck.  Sexy case, it's always the same.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if he has a battery powered TV or similar.  After all the new season shows are starting.  Survivor, Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars, and the show with Maggie Q...Stalker.  

He missed the McDonalds free coffer period and now Monopoly has started.  Based upon all of that he must be dead.

Or on Galveston Island in a tent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy could have gone to Uganda, had carnal knowledge of Ebola chimps, taken a 5-day Caribbean cruise, and went back to the forest by now.

I'd hate to think residents of the area have been under arbitrary house arrest all this time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Extremely unlikely. You don't have a tree stand randomly collapse or fall out of it without either fucking up the setup or not wearing safety gear. Usually both. So far this goatfuck has cost millions of dollars of both state and federal money, and now taxpayers get to eat the cost of a helo flight because somebody fell out of a treestand. So far Frein has killed one trooper and injured another, and PA has shot one of their own in the chest and dropped two out of a treestand. I'd call that a tie.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They apparently fell out of a tree stand today, or it collapsed with them in it.
Too high speed for safety gear?

What? Maybe that failed as well.
Extremely unlikely. You don't have a tree stand randomly collapse or fall out of it without either fucking up the setup or not wearing safety gear. Usually both. So far this goatfuck has cost millions of dollars of both state and federal money, and now taxpayers get to eat the cost of a helo flight because somebody fell out of a treestand. So far Frein has killed one trooper and injured another, and PA has shot one of their own in the chest and dropped two out of a treestand. I'd call that a tie.  

Who was shot in the chest? Did it happen during the search party? Didn't know/hear about that
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seeing more and more suppressor use.
View Quote

That's a good thing.  I've always been amazed they weren't used more often in the past.  

People don't realize how valuable their hearing is until they lose it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Who was shot in the chest? Did it happen during the search party? Didn't know/hear about that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They apparently fell out of a tree stand today, or it collapsed with them in it.

Training accident, not search related.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the Federal guys are having a great time.  M&IE plus probably some scheduled overtime.  

There are a lot of agencies peacocking and trying to beat their sister agencies to the collar.

Dude needs to be caught.  But, like the Boston Bombing, it's a clusterfuck.  Sexy case, it's always the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are aware of the fact that federal agents have a hard cap on their pay in their grade and step. They can only earn so much money even on OT before they are basically working for free. There are Patrol Officers in major cities who can and do make more.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are aware of the fact that federal agents have a hard cap on their pay in their grade and step. They can only earn so much money even on OT before they are basically working for free. There are Patrol Officers in major cities who can and do make more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at the ranges in each step for agents. $$$$
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After hundreds of officers stomped all over that area for weeks the deer are gone. You can only push a piece of land so many times until the deer move to a quieter area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Catching Frein may take a lot longer than we imagine.

I give you the case of the North Pond Hermit who lived in the woods in Central Maine for 27 years before he was caught.
27 years !  Living in a tent stealing from camps and cabins before he was caught.
Yeah living in a tent in Maine's brutal winters for 27 years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a city boy:

If he offed himself, how long would it take for his body to be eaten/scattered by wildlife?
View Quote

anyone?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

anyone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a city boy:

If he offed himself, how long would it take for his body to be eaten/scattered by wildlife?

anyone?

87 days
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Officers injured in Eric Frein manhunt: Report

Two police officers were hurt Wednesday night in the search for Eric Frein when they fell from a tree, according to media reports.

Law enforcement called for the assistance of two medical helicopters and an ambulance for the officers' injuries about 7:50 p.m. in Barrett Township where they were searching, according to a report from The Morning Call.
View Quote

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/10/officers_injured_eric_frein_ma.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Eric Frein manhunt: 'Can't make my mortgage on $30 a day'

Only, the streets of Barrett are quiet these days, save for the regular convoy of Pennsylvania State Police cruisers sweeping in and out of town.

Stores are empty. Some restaurants are closing early on the weekends. There are reports of hotel cancelations in some areas. Revenues are plunging. And worry is mounting.

"I can't make my mortgage payment on $30 a day," said Justine Knipe, co-owner of the Moutainhome Candle store, which was filled with the aroma of the fragrant candles she sells but was barren of customers to buy them.

"Last Saturday was my worst Saturday we've had in years," she continued. "This is our season, but the season is not shaping up at all. I talk to a lot of people. They all say business is down."
View Quote

What's missing are the people and the small town ideal of peace, tranquility and security that had always attracted tourists here before.

It is yet another thing Eric Frein has taken away.

"I think we are running out of patience," Knipe said of the entire situation.

Yet there is no end in sight.

As fall settles in, the foliage-driven shops and businesses of Mountainhome are running out of time to cash in on their colorful leaves.

A long, cold winter looms.
View Quote

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/10/eric_frein_manhunt_cast_a_pall.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about the rest here but your passive aggressive BS toward all police is getting to be more than annoying.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's why they pay for things like fancy climbing gear, mirrors on sticks, cameras, and other tools intended to let officers access and search places like that without falling out of a tree.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They may have climbed into an old tree stand to search it. There are tree stands around here that are enclosed and the size of garden sheds.  
That's why they pay for things like fancy climbing gear, mirrors on sticks, cameras, and other tools intended to let officers access and search places like that without falling out of a tree.  
Instead of degrading the LEO's risking their lives why don't you stop the LEO bashing?

WTF have you done in service to others ?  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Instead of degrading the LEO's risking their lives why don't you stop the LEO bashing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may have climbed into an old tree stand to search it. There are tree stands around here that are enclosed and the size of garden sheds.  

When you have 1100 men trampling through the woods hurting the local economy, interfering with peoples ordinary lives and wasting millions of dollars, I think they can take a little critism.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've taken LEOs to a private gun range so they can sharpen their skills and not shoot each other in the chest doing stupid shit. I've also participated in first responder drills so this sort of goatfuck doesn't happen where I live. Furthermore it isn't LEO bashing to point out that this is the dumbest LEO operation since the Dorner shitshow. When LEO activities result in more costs, more casualties, and more hurt feelings in the community than the criminal it isn't "bashing" to point out the factual information of what a shitshow something is.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]

When you have 1100 men trampling through the woods hurting the local economy, interfering with peoples ordinary lives and wasting millions of dollars, I think they can take a little critism.

View All Quotes

Yep but thats his life work here

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've taken LEOs to a private gun range so they can sharpen their skills and not shoot each other in the chest doing stupid shit. I've also participated in first responder drills so this sort of goatfuck doesn't happen where I live. Furthermore it isn't LEO bashing to point out that this is the dumbest LEO operation since the Dorner shitshow. When LEO activities result in more costs, more casualties, and more hurt feelings in the community than the criminal it isn't "bashing" to point out the factual information of what a shitshow something is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

BS

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

Lol.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right…the PA Troopers should just pick him up in the grocery store parking lot?  I'm glad that you're not leading this effort, shit would never get done.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Right…the PA Troopers should just pick him up in the grocery store parking lot?  I'm glad that you're not leading this effort, shit would never get done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After 32 pages/weeks of searching,what is getting done?Are they any closer to finding him?

I am not saying let the guy walk,but maybe tone it down,keep some extra patrols going,and wait until all the leaves are down/snow is on the ground and then track his ass down.

I'm still curious about the motivation-sure seems targeted to that specific barracks,and he hasn't gone after anyone else (yet).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
REally? I think the cops are doing a fine job ruining their own reputation without his help.... I highly doubt this search would have gone more then a few days had it been just 2 ordinary people, only reason it has is because they were LEO..which is fine up to a point..but if this guy really wanted to go after LEO then why hasn't he done it in the woods? how many sightings have they reported , yet he hasn't  done anything. My guess, he is long gone and has been for a while, so now what? they going to spend all winter with 1100 LEO keeping this area closed down? Heck, at the rate its going a whole lot of tax payers there are going to start screaming at their reps to shut it down.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be looking at remote places he played airsoft along road networks, because he is miles away from the crime scene and was miles away when they found his jeep 3 days after the shooting. Instead they are playing the "he was anti-LEO but we won't release what information makes us think that" card and looking everywhere but where he is. At this point you could have blanketed the woods with networked game cameras and still come out ahead on money spent.

ETA: As to how I would handle it? I'd run a tight as shit grid search and then hold areas already searched so his dumb ass can't flank behind. It would take a shit ton of people but would probably be done in a few days.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd be looking at remote places he played airsoft along road networks, because he is miles away from the crime scene and was miles away when they found his jeep 3 days after the shooting. Instead they are playing the "he was anti-LEO but we won't release what information makes us think that" card and looking everywhere but where he is. At this point you could have blanketed the woods with networked game cameras and still come out ahead on money spent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're looking at this event in terms of "money spent", that kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point that would be a good solution.  Pack up the shit show and go home.  In a few months someone will spot him and call it in, or he'll get pulled over for a broken tail light and get arrested.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're looking at this event in terms of "money spent", that kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Money spent is a legitimate issue.  There is a limited amount of manpower and dollar resources to go around.  Why blow the whole budget chasing after this guy?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Really? how about doing it for free then? there are thousands of murders a year..most never involve much of any search let alone 1100 officers over 3 weeks....so whats the diff with this one over the others? how long to we let them look? a month? a year? 10 years? forever? why again for this one guy? whats the difference? why not that 14 yr old girls killer in chicago last weekend? are we going to send 1100 officers there for the next month as well? Who is doing the jobs these cops rant doing right now? what about all those crime victims?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not paraphrasing the last 32 pages, seek and ye shall find.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The cap usually only affects  1811's at GS-15 and above, like ASAC's.  Dudes out there searching are GS-13's.  They should be OK unless they've had one gig like this after another all year long.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's your opinion?Money is no option?

How about safety?Thankfully there haven't been any accidental shootings,but 2 guys were hurt falling out of a tree.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How about safety?Thankfully there haven't been any accidental shootings,but 2 guys were hurt falling out of a tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Devils Advocate:

We don't know what they found on his computer.  Perhaps a plan to take over the world?  We just don't know.

Truth:

This is a massive amount of resources being dedicated to a known FAILURE with very little resources to accomplish anything, and little to no proof that there even is more to accomplish.  He possibly still has one .308 bolt action, and perhaps a bunch of firecrackers (that are being called "pipe bombs" ).

Additional truth: There are mixed feelings up the pocono's.  The bottom line is that they want the failure to be found and the police presence gone.   It's a no win situation for everyone and someone needs to make a call.  Either ante up and double down on the presence to get land cleared out ASAP and move on to a new search area as quickly as possible, or start scaling back "operations".  IMO, and that isn't saying much, it's do or die time.

The only alternative option is to pull the manpower out of the woods, set up a perimeter, and wait another 3-4 weeks when the leaves really start falling and scale up night time ops.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sound like the type that would say 'if it saves just one life then it'll all be worth it'.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Open up the area.  Tourists can go in at their risk.  Keep LEO at hotels, shops etc and major tree viewing spots.

Let hunters in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Open up the area.  Tourists can go in at their risk.  Keep LEO at hotels, shops etc and major tree viewing spots.

Let hunters in.
View Quote

Archery deer season starts on Saturday, and it is open and people are allowed in.

I don't know why people are still claiming that the towns and woods are blocked off.  They are not.

ETA: As of last night, zone 3D woods are closed down to hunters and hikers (via ballista).

The towns are still open and people are allowed in and out, just not in the woods which is pretty much the entire reason for visiting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Seems like the guy is long gone or worm food. I think they will have to call the search off soon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every LEO here knows what we sign up for.  I don't think that there are any politicians with the balls that it would take to announce they're pulling the plug on funding this manhunt.  Or, willing to slap the co workers or family of the fallen in the face by being so...petty.  I'll wager that the Trooper was well thought of in the community and that the locals, politicians, and pretty much everyone involved wants this shit head dealt with.  I also feel certain that there's a strong reason that the search hasn't been called off just yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Archery deer season starts on Saturday, and it is open and people are allowed in.

I don't know why people are still claiming that the towns and woods are blocked off.  They are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let hunters in.

HERP DERP

For Eric Frein search, state expands no-hunt area to Delaware State Forest

Pennsylvania officials Wednesday night closed part of Delaware State Forest to hunters and hikers in the areas of Monroe and Pike counties where state police are searching for shooting suspect Eric Frein.

The announcement by the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources followed the state Game Commission's decision earlier in the day to suspend hunting seasons in seven area townships.

Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough on Wednesday issued an executive order to close temporarily the hunting and trapping seasons in Price, Barrett and Paradise townships in Monroe County, and Blooming Grove, Porter, Lehman and Greene townships in Pike County.

The townships all are within Wildlife Management Unit 3D.

The closure affects all private and public lands, including portions of State Game Lands 180, 183 and 221 within those townships. Those portions of game lands are closed to all public access while the executive order is in effect.

Hunting and trapping seasons will remain closed in the identified townships until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency's website.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/outdoors/mc-frein-manhunt-poconos-hunting-canceled-20141001-story.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yeah I don't see someone still in the area for a month avoiding all these cops running around in the woods eating, what?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like the guy is long gone or worm food. I think they will have to call the search off soon.
Yeah I don't see someone still in the area for a month avoiding all these cops running around in the woods eating, what?  

edit I guess he could be poaching but gun shots.....
Agreed, but there's always Eric Rudolph as an example.  Tons of different agencies and teams searched for him for months.   He ended up being in basically the same area they had been searching.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

HERP DERP

http://www.mcall.com/sports/outdoors/mc-frein-manhunt-poconos-hunting-canceled-20141001-story.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let hunters in.

HERP DERP

Pennsylvania officials Wednesday night closed part of Delaware State Forest to hunters and hikers in the areas of Monroe and Pike counties where state police are searching for shooting suspect Eric Frein.

The announcement by the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources followed the state Game Commission's decision earlier in the day to suspend hunting seasons in seven area townships.

Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough on Wednesday issued an executive order to close temporarily the hunting and trapping seasons in Price, Barrett and Paradise townships in Monroe County, and Blooming Grove, Porter, Lehman and Greene townships in Pike County.

The townships all are within Wildlife Management Unit 3D.

The closure affects all private and public lands, including portions of State Game Lands 180, 183 and 221 within those townships. Those portions of game lands are closed to all public access while the executive order is in effect.

Hunting and trapping seasons will remain closed in the identified townships until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency's website.

This is NEW (ETA says last night, why didn't you break out your fancy breaking news headlines earlier?).  It was not closed as of yesterday.  I hunt in the area in neighboring zone 4C.

And this is bullshit.

Safety concerns were highlighted Wednesday night, when the medical helicopter was requested for two troopers suffering "non-life-threatening injuries" in the woods near Canadensis.

So because PSP didn't know how to use a tree stand, it highlighted the reason for hunters not being allowed in?

And

State officials considered keeping the hunting areas open in the Frein search zone, but reconsidered after state police Tuesday reported they had uncovered explosive devices in the area.

That have to be lit.  And are nothing more than shitty homemade firecrackers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top