BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 50
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure there is. Suspects dad and police chief visited same gun store. Suspects mom and cops daughter had same dentist. That kind of stuff. Because small community.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the cop knew the sister in law of the suspect. Fascinating stuff. I bet they filled up at the same gas station and had the same cable company too.

Rural community, duh. Everyone knows everyone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Nope, it's not like that here and I think you're gonna find out pretty soon that there is more to this connection of people than you have heard so far.

I'm sure there is. Suspects dad and police chief visited same gun store. Suspects mom and cops daughter had same dentist. That kind of stuff. Because small community.

Mountain people and dentist? LOL

You ain't from round there, that much is clear.

I said it earlier and it's worth repeating.  The mountain people in the pocono area are pretty damn private people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the cop knew the sister in law of the suspect. Fascinating stuff. I bet they filled up at the same gas station and had the same cable company too.

Nope, it's not like that here and I think you're gonna find out pretty soon that there is more to this connection of people than you have heard so far.

PSP spokesman Kelly was on the radio late this afternoon saying he was misquoted in the UK article.  He said that there appears to be no relationship between the officer and Frein's sister-in-law.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My ex gf worked at buck hill years ago. That place is huge
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Police said they have spotted him within the last 24hrs. He makes himsellf visible to police from a far away distance so police can see him then disappears back in the woods.

From an article:

"On at least one occasion.... (a tracking dog) caused him to jump out at
quite some distance from us and escape," Bivens said. He said the
incident occurred a few days ago "just as darkness was falling," which
made it difficult for the helicopter above to spot him.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I said it earlier and it's worth repeating.  The mountain people in the pocono area are pretty damn private people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ The area doesn't have a "main street"  small town type community where everyone knows each other.  It is thousands of people spread all over the place, who typically don't know or talk to each other.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Police said they have spotted him within the last 24hrs. He makes himsellf visible to police from a far away distance so police can see him then disappears back in the woods.
View Quote

Where did that come from? At the 3 pm press conference they said there haven't been any sightings since Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

PSP spokesman Kelly was on the radio late this afternoon saying he was misquoted in the UK article.  He said that there appears to be no relationship between the officer and Frein's sister-in-law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biven used careful wording at the press conference to say there was no "inappropriate relationship", but did not deny that there was some type of relationship between the two.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where did that come from? At the 3 pm press conference they said there haven't been any sightings since Wednesday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call bs anyway.  They are tired, and when you are tired especially in unfamiliar areas, your mind makes things up.  Not that I'm calling the Leo liars, they believe what they see, but they aren't used to this type of prolonged search with one figure in their mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I call bs anyway.  They are tired, and when you are tired especially in unfamiliar areas, your mind makes things up.  Not that I'm calling the Leo liars, they believe what they see, but they aren't used to this type of prolonged search with one figure in their mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

getting rooskie fever you might say.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From an article:

"On at least one occasion.... (a tracking dog) caused him to jump out at quite some distance from us and escape," Bivens said. He said the incident occurred a few days ago "just as darkness was falling," which made it difficult for the helicopter above to spot him.

View Quote

So if he is on a mission to kill cops,why hasn't he fired anymore?Seems he could pop up and shoot one now and again and disappear if that was his actual motive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It came from one of the links I posted or in one of the videos forget which. I will see if I can find the exact link again as I've been reading all sorts of articles trying to catch up on things.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My in-laws just bought a place in the area Rudolph was hiding. They're friendly with the man who owns the lodge that the ATF used as a base of operations for years. He has some good stories, but suffice it to say Rudolph had lots of local help. It could have been as little as looking the other way, but I suspect there was more to it. I'm guessing the ATF decided not to prosecute half the county.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long can he stay out there ?

In Maine the "North Lake Hermit" lived for years uncaught and existed through the rough Maine winters in a tent !

If he is clever and carefull he can easily get food and supplys from camps and cabins.

Hell we have a camp up there only 9 or 10 miles from the search area.

If he robbed our camp he would get cans of soup, canned ham, ramin noodles, spam and so on.

Atlanta Olympic bomber/abortion clinic bomber Eric Rudolph lived in the mountains of NC for years, breaking in and stealing a few things or stealing crops.

More recently that Utah mountain man has been living on breaking in cabins for years.

My in-laws just bought a place in the area Rudolph was hiding. They're friendly with the man who owns the lodge that the ATF used as a base of operations for years. He has some good stories, but suffice it to say Rudolph had lots of local help. It could have been as little as looking the other way, but I suspect there was more to it. I'm guessing the ATF decided not to prosecute half the county.

The Feds weren't even really looking after the first few weeks.  They'd rotate new agents through every few weeks or months, they'd go out about 9am and quit about 4 or 5 pm each day, some of the women were even wearing heels going out there.  I've known several people from that area, and the Feds were pretty much laughed at by everyone.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-eric-frein-spotted-diapers-serbian-cigarettes-20140924-story.html#page=2

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna call BS on him playing some game of now you see me now you don't.

If he actually got spotted, I'm sure a helo would be FLIRing the area rather quickly, appropriate adjustments to the search would be made, etc, and burners would be deployed within a few hours.

Woods+tiredness+dusk/dawn=seeing shit that ain't there sometimes. Or the reports are just mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-eric-frein-spotted-diapers-serbian-cigarettes-20140924-story.html#page=2

The article is from Wednesday
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Guessing hiding out in some underground bunker, filled with necessities.

Who knows, could be dead (suicide).

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also relevant from the article:

State police have used warrants and locksmiths to enter vacant homes in the area, searching for signs that Frein might have entered them looking for a safe haven or sustenance. They are also looking for witnesses who might have seen Frein's Jeep, a dark-colored 2001 Cherokee Sport, in the area before it was found abandoned Sept. 15.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

From an article:

"On at least one occasion.... (a tracking dog) caused him to jump out at quite some distance from us and escape," Bivens said. He said the incident occurred a few days ago "just as darkness was falling," which made it difficult for the helicopter above to spot him.

View Quote
They must have bought the cheap FLIR that doesn't work at night.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
That place is 15 miles from the crime scene. Not too far.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Need a guy who speaks French and English to go wondering through after dark shouting out he wants to help him.  

Have true sniper team in area with thermal.

Sucker him out. Boom headshot.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From an article:

FLIR doesnt see through brush. Forward looking infra-red is not like the fake "thermal" imagery you see in the movies.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Need a guy who speaks French and English to go wondering through after dark shouting out he wants to help him.  

View Quote

Call of duty much?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From an article:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

State police have used warrants and locksmiths to enter vacant homes in the area, searching for signs that Frein might have entered them looking for a safe haven or sustenance. They are also looking for witnesses who might have seen Frein's Jeep, a dark-colored 2001 Cherokee Sport, in the area before it was found abandoned Sept. 15.

I'd LOVE to read the probable cause they claimed for those warrants.

PSP: Well Judge, we don't have a clue where he is, but Timmy here almost got bit by a bear while clearing a cave, so we'd like to break into a bunch of random cabins now. Here's a stack of warrants.

Judge: Okie-dokie, let me just get my rubber stamp.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
FLIR doesnt see through brush. Forward looking infra-red is not like the fake "thermal" imagery you see in the movies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From an article:

True, but darkness doesn't affect it's detection ability as the police are claiming.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PSP: Well Judge, we don't have a clue where he is, but Timmy here almost got bit by a bear while clearing a cave, so we'd like to break into a bunch of random cabins now. Here's a stack of warrants.
View Quote

I don't know of any cops who go by "Timmy."  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about using Barney, but I'd hate to insult his memory like that. Do you think they had probable cause to search a bunch of cabins?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:51:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I thought about using Barney, but I'd hate to insult his memory like that. Do you think they had probable cause to search a bunch of cabins?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no but JBT got to JBT.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The overwhelming majority have been consensual searches with keys provided by owners. As for warrant searches, the affidavits will be released at some point. Now, please feel free to continue your rant. If you were not aware of the above facts, you are now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Hiding in Caves ? well OK but because of the rocky soil most cabins up there have crawl spaces under them and that adds another dimension  to the search.
I am thinking that if he takes cover at night in crawl spaces the flir cant see him.

To elude trackers put carpet on his boots like the Mexican drug runners do.

To elude dogs and mask scent he could be using Buck lure or any of the scent maskers like Fox urine, Skunk musk and so on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Search for suspected cop killer enters third week

BARRETT TWP – State Police say they narrowing the area where they believe Eric Frein is hiding.  The search area includes some former, now abandoned, large resorts in Barrett Township.  There was some speculation Frein has been in at least one of them, the huge Buck Hill Inn in Barrett Township.  That could not be verified.
View Quote

http://www.pocononews.net/news/2014/September/27/27Sep14-1.html

During his remarks Friday, Bivens refuted reports of an inappropriate relationship between Douglass and Frein’s sister-in-law, Melissa. She married Frein’s brother, Michael, in 2006 and lives in the Acorn Hill Estates, the same housing development as Douglass.

“We cannot assume to know what Eric Frein believes, however, we are convinced Trooper Douglass and Melissa Frein did not have a personal relationship,” he said. Bivens later added, “I am told that there is no relationship whatsoever, that he (Douglass) does not even know them.”
View Quote

http://republicanherald.com/news/investigator-suspected-killer-planned-attack-for-years-1.1761035

As MailOnline exclusively reported on Thursday, Frein may have believed Douglass, 31, was having an affair with the fugitive's sister-in-law Melissa Frein.

Melissa Frein lives less than half a mile away from Douglass in Olyphant, Pennsylvania and police admit the two knew each other. They say they aggressively interviewed Melissa about rumors of an affair but say they now do not believe the two were involved.

Melissa Frein, who recently left her job at the vaccine company Sanofi Pasteur in Swiftwater, Pennsylvania, did not return calls. A neighbor at the Olyphant address said he hadn't seen the mother-of-two for more than a week although he usually saw her every day.

Melissa is the wife of the alleged gunman's older brother, Michael. Eric Frein was best man at their 2007 wedding at St. Joseph Melkite Greek Catholic Church in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Bivens said injured Trooper Douglass remains critical in hospital in a 'serious but stable condition.' He said Douglass had been 'troubled' by reports linking him with Frein's married sister-in-law.
View Quote

Got to get the story straight. He knew her, he didn't know her....

Pennsylvania Sate police spokesman Trooper Tom Kelly confirmed that Douglass and Melissa Frein are friends and there is no way to know whether Eric Frein believed that his sister-in-law was involved with the 31-year-old trooper until and unless they manage to arrest him.
View Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2771034/Police-hunting-survivalist-cop-killer-search-haunted-hotel-used-MTV-show.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Call of duty much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call of duty much?

I wish I had time for that crap. Played maybe a total of 2 hours in 5 years at a buddies house and never seen anyone use a person to get another person to come out of hiding.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For all the armored cars, infra red scopes and tommy tactical soldier get ups law enforcement just seems to be in over it's head with these big manhunts. That cop in California was a jerk off wash out but had them running around with chickens with their heads cut off. I bet in other countries they just call up some infantry, who are better suited to this, well except for the blowing everything up and burning the rubble part.

How many cops would it take to clear that abandoned resort? And if he's not there and starts shooting up a town twenty miles away?
View Quote

To be fair, our military didn't set any speed records with OBL. People that don't want to be found aren't found till they screw up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Investigators exits woods near Buck Hill Falls resort in Barrett Twp. on Friday. Michael Mullen / Staff photographer
View Quote

For those who know what this is.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://thetimes-tribune.com/polopoly_fs/1.1760710!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/image.jpg

http://thetimes-tribune.com/polopoly_fs/1.1760709!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/image.jpg

Investigators exits woods near Buck Hill Falls resort in Barrett Twp. on Friday. Michael Mullen / Staff photographer

So it's not really the militarization of the police anymore, it's the police having better equipment than the military.

ETA: I usually don't go on about police equipment too much, I feel the attitude/mindset is a bigger problem than the equipment, but where do you draw the line?  What is the purpose of posse comitatus when you can't tell the difference between the police and military anymore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Pretty high end NVGs. Hrt? Or the scientific nomenclature used to denote a change in value?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So it's not really the militarization of the police anymore, it's the police having better equipment than the military.

ETA: I usually don't go on about police equipment too much, I feel the attitude/mindset is a bigger problem than the equipment, but where do you draw the line?  What is the purpose of posse comitatus when you can't tell the difference between the police and military anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://thetimes-tribune.com/polopoly_fs/1.1760710!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/image.jpg

http://thetimes-tribune.com/polopoly_fs/1.1760709!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/image.jpg

Well, it does appear to be FBI and not state police. I don't know that the staties are going to spend $50k?  on quadeye.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Jesus, Panoramic Night Vision Goggles.... GPNVG-18's...

They'd do better with PSQ-20's or COTI's in my opinion for the search.   Image intensifiers just don't cut it in that woodland without IR lights to ID what your about to shoot.  Having FLIR's in the air, and especially on the ground would help in seeing a person further away than they could with Image intensification alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGXbgWqpiUw
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, it does appear to be FBI and not state police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it does appear to be FBI and not state police.

State Police / Federal Police.  Potato / Potatoe.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Jesus, Panoramic Night Vision Goggles.... GPNVG-18's...

They'd do better with PSQ-20's or COTI's in my opinion for the search.   Image intensifiers just don't cut it in that woodland without IR lights to ID what your about to shoot.  Having FLIR's in the air, and especially on the ground would help in seeing a person further away than they could with Image intensification alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGXbgWqpiUw
View Quote
Freaking wow... didn't know that existed....  not surprised.. but pretty cool.. I bet they cost an arm and a leg...

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Coming from a friend who is on PSP Sert, they brought in FBI HRT this weekend with the U.S. Marshals. He goes back Monday to continue the search.. if they haven't found him yet.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#45]
The PSQ-20's are something around $16,000 new and available to civilians actually. They've been in service since around 2006.  Plus it has thermal and Image intensification as you can see.

But even that's cheaper than the GPNVG-18, which is around $35,000 or more per pair. and is Image intensified only.

I'm one of the tech geeks from the night vision forum btw.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm having trouble with the math. Don't they have dags in PA? I was under the impression that bloodhounds pretty much always got the job done if you could put them onto the scent to start with, and the target didn't kill them or their handlers. Barring a few exceptions for tactics like using rivers to break the scent trail. Is that a mistaken impression?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble with the math. Don't they have dags in PA? I was under the impression that bloodhounds pretty much always got the job done if you could put them onto the scent to start with, and the target didn't kill them or their handlers. Barring a few exceptions for tactics like using rivers to break the scent trail. Is that a mistaken impression?
View Quote

There are small streams everywhere around there.

There are also thousands of leo walking the woods.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, I surrender. Someone want to explain what JBT stands for? I'm guessing it isn't "just being thorough." [edit: never mind, I guessed it: Jack-Booted Thugs.]

If he actually got spotted, I'm sure a helo would be FLIRing the area rather quickly, appropriate adjustments to the search would be made, etc, and burners would be deployed within a few hours.
View Quote

The first two questions I had about why they hadn't nabbed this nut yet were "where's the dags?" and "where's the FLIR?" After a bit of thought, I concluded that (WARNING: SPECULATION FOLLOWS) FLIR probably isn't all that useful in this situation. It's rugged terrain with thick cover. FLIR's probably not all that much better than the naked eye. There's probably deer everywhere, they're not that different in size from a man, so the area is teeming with false positives. The foliage probably severely restricts the useful range of the FLIR. And the terrain is rugged, so it's not like he doesn't have plenty of stuff to put between himself and a chopper when he hears it coming a mile away.

But I can't figure out why the dags haven't run him down yet.

True, but darkness doesn't affect it's detection ability as the police are claiming.
View Quote

If anything, I'd guess it works better at night, because temps typically drop, increasing the contrast between heat sources and ambient atmosphere.

To elude dogs and mask scent he could be using Buck lure or any of the scent maskers like Fox urine, Skunk musk and so on.
View Quote

Does that really work?

There are small streams everywhere around there.
View Quote

Right, but a body of water isn't foolproof. Can't good dag/handler teams just go up either bank in both directions until they pick up the scent again?

View Quote

Meaning...?

Edit: obviously, dogs aren't as effective as I thought, because the guy's been on the leg for two weeks. I'm just wondering why/how.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#49]
You just answered your own question with those quotes.

False leads put the dog off track.  Once the dog is off track, you are wasting lots of time.  LOTS of time.  And there are no guarantees you were ever on the correct path to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Wait, please tell me it's not...all white men smell the same?!? OMG DASS RACISS!
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top