Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything with a Mauser action and a big hole in the end of the barrel.

Or that Ruger rifle that takes the M-14 mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking if I had to walk out I'd want something like the .22 or .22 mag.  If you're moving you are not going to have enough time in one place for snares and fish traps.  I suppose you could stay in one spot long enough to stock up some food stuffs, and then move on to the the limits of your food supply.  You're fucked if you run into a pissed bear, I'd assume that you want to make a reasonable amount of noise so you don't sneak up on something you can't deal with.  

As mentioned many times it would depend on circumstance and location.  If you're transported in there ala naked and afraid, a bigger gun would serve better to obtain hides for clothing.  If you're dropped into the middle of kodiak island with a super high bear population, I'd want a model 70 in a 375 h&h.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, this firearm does use a rotary locking mechanism, so I am calling it a "bolt action".

Anyone who recognizes this firearm knows it is PERFECT for the situation that OP has suggested.

I'll take mine in 9.3x74R, 9.3x74R .222R, 12ga

http://www.germanguns.com/images/journals/journal23_lrg.jpg

Sadly, I don't think he will make the vierling now.
View Quote

I like it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mmm. Rabbit/marmot/squirrel random bird worth eating paste.

Browning T-bolt for me. People who think you can't kill anything with a .22lr haven't killed many things.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I am   absolutely STUCK with a turn-bolt  mauser style rifle, I'd take  a .338 win mag.

If I had MORE  choice it'd  more likely be an 1895 lever gun,  in 45-70.

Browning T-bolt for me. People who think you can't kill anything with a .22lr haven't killed many things.

People who think you must turn small game into paste with a real rifle haven't practiced marksmanship enough.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you!   (Which one?? )

Unlike most, I acknowledged that the wilderness was going to chew me up, so base on OP's question, I'm going out with a pretty rifle!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my current physical condition, I'm probably going to die, so I am doing it with a pretty rifle.

.308 on milsurp 98 Mauser.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/Marksman60/Project%20Rifles/308%20Carbine/Finished%20Dec%2013%202013/DSCN9057_zpsd0658964.jpg

I would add iron sights, and for a scope, quality 1-4x.

If I need more gun.

.300 Win Mag.   Interarms Mark-X action.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/Marksman60/Project%20Rifles/300%20WinMag%20Mark%20X/DSCN9191_zps7cf288b2.jpg
That Mauser is pure sex.  

Thank you!   (Which one?? )

Unlike most, I acknowledged that the wilderness was going to chew me up, so base on OP's question, I'm going out with a pretty rifle!  
LOL, The Mauser mauser.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anything with a Mauser action and a big hole in the end of the barrel.

Or that Ruger rifle that takes the M-14 mags.
View Quote
There is no Ruger rifle that takes M14 mags. Thats the biggest reason they fail.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

and he died in the end,.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind any big game you kill if not eaten on the spot must be carried or defended from scavengers including bears.

Alaska food cache, google it. Or you know, ask a homesteader.

ETA - if a person who is stranded in the AK wilderness for 3 months isn't ingenuitive, what kind of rifle he has is not his only concern. (see Chris McCandless)

IIRC He made it from april to mid august with a brick of .22 LR and 5 lbs of rice.  Meals including an immature moose, lots of ptarmagin, and rabbits.

and he died in the end,.

But a bear did not kill him....
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind any big game you kill if not eaten on the spot must be carried or defended from scavengers including bears.

ETA - if a person who is stranded in the AK wilderness for 3 months isn't ingenuitive, what kind of rifle he has is not his only concern. (see Chris McCandless)

IIRC He made it from april to mid august with a brick of .22 LR and 5 lbs of rice.  Meals including an immature moose, lots of ptarmagin, and rabbits.

and he died in the end,.

TRUE!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm thinking if I had to walk out I'd want something like the .22 or .22 mag.  If you're moving you are not going to have enough time in one place for snares and fish traps.  I suppose you could stay in one spot long enough to stock up some food stuffs, and then move on to the the limits of your food supply.  You're fucked if you run into a pissed bear, I'd assume that you want to make a reasonable amount of noise so you don't sneak up on something you can't deal with.  

As mentioned many times it would depend on circumstance and location.  If you're transported in there ala naked and afraid, a bigger gun would serve better to obtain hides for clothing.  If you're dropped into the middle of kodiak island with a super high bear population, I'd want a model 70 in a 375 h&h.
View Quote

This, +1.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
probably an enfield .303
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
So much stainless, I like it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd take a version of Finn Aagard's professional rifle in 9.3x62 instead of .30-06.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So much stainless, I like it.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Scoped Mossberg MVP 308 with about 8 twenty round ar-10 mags stuffed in my pocket. OP didn't say pocket had to be buttoned closed.
Short barrel. Fast handling. Light weight. Lots of ammo with few reloadings. Good caliber.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Scoped Mossberg MVP 308 with about 8 twenty round ar-10 mags stuffed in my pocket. OP didn't say pocket had to be buttoned closed.
Short barrel. Fast handling. Light weight. Lots of ammo with few reloadings. Good caliber.

http://www.lipseys.net/images/MB27739.jpg?maxwidth=520
View Quote

That looks ok.

I'll wait till they make a .358 win version.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People who think you must turn small game into paste with a real rifle haven't practiced marksmanship enough.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I am   absolutely STUCK with a turn-bolt  mauser style rifle, I'd take  a .338 win mag.

Yeah, the thousands of prairie dogs I've shot from 400+ yards that explode in bits from 5.56 mean nothing. Good luck feeding yourself for any length of time with 2 boxes of ammo for your 375 H&H.
Why am I not surprised that someone who says "real rifle" and thinks he can make it in the bush in Alaska with a couple of boxes of ammo has that for an avatar? Which ones are for girls? I forgot. The light, fast ones, or the huge lumbering ones that can barely negotiate a curve?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, the thousands of prairie dogs I've shot from 400+ yards that explode in bits from 5.56 mean nothing. Good luck feeding yourself for any length of time with 2 boxes of ammo for your 375 H&H.
Why am I not surprised that someone who says "real rifle" and thinks he can make it in the bush in Alaska with a couple of boxes of ammo has that for an avatar? Which ones are for girls? I forgot. The light, fast ones, or the huge lumbering ones that can barely negotiate a curve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzKFi9WaLI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzKFi9WaLI

nice video!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
As I'm sure has been posted many times in this thread, (I didn't bother reading all 8 pages).

Rem 700 in .308
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Well since I live here, and have an idea of the conditions..I will take my stainless/braked 700 in 300 RUM and all the bullets my pockets hold. since its AK. I will be shooting a moose every 4 days for both food and fresh hide for sleeping/shelter as I move. since most movement is going to have to be up on the ridge lines where you can actually walk, I may get lucky and add a caribou or sheep here or there as well....

For those who are going with smaller caliber rifles...have you thought about what happens when you run into a good sized bear in tight quarters and not sitting in a tree stand?..trust me  under 300 win isn't big enough when you are eye to eye with a big boar, especially when its a bolt gun....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That looks ok.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks ok.

That would be a L-O-N-G wait.
 Swapping the barrel would be faster, cheaper and easier than waiting.
The MVP uses the same barrel and lock nut technology as Savage and Remington 783, just saying
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well since I live here, and have an idea of the conditions..I will take my stainless/braked 700 in 300 RUM and all the bullets my pockets hold. since its AK. I will be shooting a moose every 4 days for both food and fresh hide for sleeping/shelter as I move. since most movement is going to have to be up on the ridge lines where you can actually walk, I may get lucky and add a caribou or sheep here or there as well....

For those who are going with smaller caliber rifles...have you thought about what happens when you run into a good sized bear in tight quarters and not sitting in a tree stand?..trust me  under 300 win isn't big enough when you are eye to eye with a big boar, especially when its a bolt gun....
View Quote
Spears

Bow and arrow

My grandma and mom spent a lot of time in fish-camp alone with plenty of bears making a visit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and he died in the end,.

Which is exactly my point. Knowledge and fieldcraft go a long way. There are plenty of other reasons people get killed in the bush here. Hell, the PJ's from the rescue squadron up here are always busy picking up people who take the scope and magnitude of this place for granted.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the spirit of this thread, how many 300 RUM rounds could you fit in a pocket? 20 at most? If you want to live in the wilderness of Alaska for 3 months with 20 rounds be my guest.  Bears are a risk,  but not as big as people think. People backpack into the back woods of AK all the time.  

Me, I'll take 300+ rounds of .22 mag and kill all the game I can. While not ideal,  I bet a .22 mag to the face of a bear would make it charge is mind. .22 mag is a lot more powerful than people think.

A 40 grain solid will penetrate the skull of a large hog at under 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1

Without the Boss on mine please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stainless Browning A-Bolt 300mag w/Boss

+1

Without the Boss on mine please.

+2 without boss also
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Ruger 77/44

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: right;']

In the spirit of this thread, how many 300 RUM rounds could you fit in a pocket? 20 at most? If you want to live in the wilderness of Alaska for 3 months with 20 rounds be my guest.  Bears are a risk,  but not as big as people think. People backpack into the back woods of AK all the time.  

Me, I'll take 300+ rounds of .22 mag and kill all the game I can. While not ideal,  I bet a .22 mag to the face of a bear would make it charge is mind. .22 mag is a lot more powerful than people think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea that a .22 Mag would be effective against a charging bear is laughable.  One can trap for small game and use the rifle for larger game or defence.  I'm also pretty sure that one can fit more than 20 rifle cartridges in a cargo pocket.  I know I can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Win 70 Alaskan in 375h&h magnum.
View Quote

+100.  Either .375 H&H or 458 Win Mag for the win.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The idea that a .22 Mag would be effective against a charging bear is laughable.  One can trap for small game and use the rifle for larger game or defence.  I'm also pretty sure that one can fit more than 20 rifle cartridges in a cargo pocket.  I know I can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but your scenario of facing a charging bear to begin with would be extremely rare.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#29]
8 MM Mauser with plenty of ammo
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
.308 ar.

Mag dumps and spares for any bigger critters.
View Quote

Bolt action al la the UK?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe, but your scenario of facing a charging bear to begin with would be extremely rare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough (although it's not my scenario), but if you end up in that situation you're kinda screwed if all you have is a .22.  Better to have something in a sufficnelty powerful caliber.  It doesn't need to be a big magnum or large bore cartridge, but you need something better than a .22.

Ideally, you'd have something like a drilling or vierling.  Two rifle barrels in a decent cartridge, a .22 barrel for small stuff, signaling, etc., and maybe a shotgun barrel for wingshooting (and it could also be used with slugs against bears).
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Spears
Bow and arrow

My grandma and mom spent a lot of time in fish-camp alone with plenty of bears making a visit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spears
Bow and arrow

So do they still use spears and bows or do they carry rifles now? I don't deny that anything can kill anything when everything is done right and a little good luck is thrown in..  but if I crash land in the middle of AK and theres a spear, a bow/arrow ,a high powered rifle, and a 22 laying there on the ground, I am grabbing the hi powered rifle and all the ammo I can throw in my pocket..but thats just me...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah probably a Mossberg MVP Patrol...not sure of which caliber yet, probably .308.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Something medium weight with a plastic stock, decent glass and iron sights.

.308 would suit me fine.

On second thought, I might go for a pocket full of .22 WMR in a rifle like I described above.  Keep me fed plenty well and even wolves and bears won't like getting stung if I'm stupid enough to get close to them.

It's not like I'd be fighting off wave attacks of grizzlies, polar bear cavalry or Posleen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.308 ar.

Mag dumps and spares for any bigger critters.

LOL!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Kimber Montana in 30-06 with a NF 2.5-10x24, with a pocket full of NP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The MVP uses the same barrel and lock nut technology as Savage and Remington 783, just saying
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks ok.

ORLY???

hmmmm. It'd go well with me .358 FAL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ORLY???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks ok.

ORLY???

YESRLY !  

.358 ?
Hmmm... I may have to rethink that .45 Raptor barrel idea I been kicking around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Ruger Lefthanded GSR 308 with 165 grain barnes, with a Leupold Scout scope or an aimpoint T1  

If I could sneak a few lightly loaded Lead bullet loads in there for small game I would.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

YESRLY !  

.358 ?
Hmmm... I may have to rethink that .45 Raptor barrel idea I been kicking around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks ok.

ORLY???

YESRLY !  

.358 ?

What is the plan?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This:

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/acf7407er/full/" target="_blank">http://s5.postimg.org/y3ekm47lz/Scout_2.jpg</a>
forum image hosting
View Quote

sweet!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Not a bolt action but I'd take a .22/12ga OU.

Slugs could take down bigger game and shot and the .22 smaller game.

I wouldn't count on bagging lots of big game anyway.  Much easier to get squirrels and rabbits.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Remington 700 CDL .35 Whelen
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
M44.
View Quote

This, but I'd rather have a large caliber lever instead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have taken grouse and seen many others taken out of trees with deer rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.

I have taken grouse and seen many others taken out of trees with deer rifles.

Throw in a a bunch of small game loads ala Townsend Whelen* and shoot all the small game you need.

*my version (from Lyman) for the 30/06 uses a 150 grain Hornady soft point over 18 grains of Unique.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what your point is here. Average 3 mph foot speed, walk a conservative 12 hours a day, for 90 days, and you've covered over 3000 miles. Cut it in half and you've still covered >1500 miles.

Exactly what "survival fantasy" are you trying to debunk here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Most of the 185 Sky Wagons and Beavers I have flown on didn't have an emergency food supply that would sustain you. Trapping for food while hiking out wouldn't expedite your rate of travel. Walking out wouldn't be a cake walk even if you knew where you were headed. Icy stream crossings and muskeg don't make for fast foot travel. I read about a guy that left a road house near Circle to fish a lake and when he started back he took a "short cut" to avoid retracing his steps and get him around a swampy section of the trail  He thought the stream he was following would join the main river beside the road. It did but in 200 miles. He walked out 67 days later and had lost 70 pounds. When reality sets in survival fantasies don't amount to much.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Average 3 mph foot speed, walk a conservative 12 hours a day, for 90 days, and you've covered over 3000 miles. Cut it in half and you've still covered >1500 miles.

Exactly what "survival fantasy" are you trying to debunk here?

I thought of this yesterday and it gave me a little chuckle.

There is a side canyon on the mountain behind my place that I have been wanting to explore to see if it holds any water. Last Thursday a friend and I left my ATV at the mouth and we took his Jeep and parked it on a ridge above at about ten thousand feet and started down the couple thousand foot decent into the canyon. It was steep but relatively easy going at first. That is until we got half way down to a section we couldn't see from where we started.  The canyon narrowed and we ran into REALLY steep rock slides that stretched for hundreds of feet up and down the mountain side. Every step had a chance of starting all of that jagged rock moving which for me at least increased the pucker factor considerably.

When we finally reached the bottom it was choked with willows and rosebushes which tore me to shreds. There was blood dripping off me every where like I had just shook hands with a babcat and there was a long way to go through that shit yet. (By the way the only liquid in the fucker was the blood that dripped off me.)

So we knew our destination and it was all down hill and I thought it would be an easy hike out.  We still didn't come close to making one mile per hour and I didn't think I had another couple miles in me.

But to be honest we didn't carry a bolt action, just a model 94 Winchester.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#49]
bump for October.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top