New Model Mauser 375 H&H
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I forgot one thing the Quest2 I think it was called were British actions that were converted to 45x70.
Recoil was said to be brutal with anything more than cowboy loads. But it would work really well in Alaska I bet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Kimber Montana or Rem 700 Titanium (Original model) in .308 Winchester. Barnes TSX 165 grain ammunition. 4x Leupold glass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
something light and handy that has very manageable recoil so I would say savage trophy hunter xp in .308 or 30.06
View Quote

I don't know about you, but I would not under any circumstances describe my Savage 111 in .30-06 as having "manageable recoil." It's a great rifle but it kicks like a mule.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Mossberg mvp .308
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Mossberg mvp .308
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Tika T3 Lite in 300WM
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 or 7mm...

Easily fixed, easy to maintain the bolt/firing pin, all without tools.

I'd want the wood stock because if shit really hit the fan I could hollow  out the butt stock for dry tinder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]
stainless claw extractor bolt action with non-wood stock, 3-9 on detachable scope rings, buis, 30-06 (i would prefer 35 whelen, but since you mentioned stranded 30-06 could be scavenged)....

eta i would normally keep scope detached - only add on when needing long shot
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't know about you, but I would not under any circumstances describe my Savage 111 in .30-06 as having "manageable recoil." It's a great rifle but it kicks like a mule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

something light and handy that has very manageable recoil so I would say savage trophy hunter xp in .308 or 30.06

Depends what you are experienced with, I find the 06 to be pretty tame.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Something CRF, with iron sights, a 3-9 scope, and in .30-06 or better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The 22 Guys better hope the plane crashes within the city limits of Anchorage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRF Model 70 chambered for either the 300 Win Mag or the 338 Win Mag.

I'm seeing a consensus among guys with AK under their name, or guys who have spent some time in the woods catchin' small, furry edible things without using a gun (see avatar).

Some of you suggesting .22, I would suggest to spend some more time practicing with stuff like this:

Figure 4 trigger. The workhorse. They can be set many different ways.

http://www.survivalschool.us/wp-content/uploads/large-figure-43.jpg

The Piute trigger. Simpler to make. Harder to set.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yoo8r7.png

Ojibwa bird snare. Works very well. My cubs built walking sticks with these built in, and a sling shot "Y" at the top. Not very practical, but for a 10yo boy, it was the coolest thing ever.

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/images/2008/04/16/18_ojibwa_bird_pole_699.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yAB7KljY-9E/hqdefault.jpg

There. Ya got fish, fowl and game. Go practice.

The 22 Guys better hope the plane crashes within the city limits of Anchorage.

I would make out pretty good with a 22.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Lacks relevant information.

Is this a "hike back out after a plane crash" test, or a "survive for months in the wilderness" test? Shouldn't take you a quarter of the year just to hike back out from a plane crash.
Am I sitting in one place, waiting to be rescued (it is summer and presumably the pilot filed a flight plan and S&R will kick in); or was this a sooper sekret squirrel mission and no one knows or cares where I am?
Do I have a sidearm?
Do I have any other supplies?

In a plane crash scenario there were most likely emergency rations on the plane, so food would likely not even be an issue and you can just hike your happy ass back to to the world. The task of gathering food is much more efficiently accomplished with traps and snares versus shooting animals. Way way lower caloric output to get food that way. I know that some game animals can be killed fairly efficiently with a throwing stick used properly (see Dan Mannix's classic work A Sporting Chance) and given the season there may be significant non-game food options. Fish, berries, edible plants etc.

I'd plan on the rifle being solely for defense against predators, and stick with probably 375 H&H. It allows a light enough rifle to be able to hike, while still being effective against the largest bear. If I had a sidearm I'd want a little .22 pistol, ideally suppressed. Use that for potting small game as opportunity allows.

ETA: oh, and I'd want BUIS and one of the high end 1-5/6 illuminated reticle scopes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My CZ550 in 9.3 x 62 Mauser
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lacks relevant information.

Is this a "hike back out after a plane crash" test, or a "survive for months in the wilderness" test? Shouldn't take you a quarter of the year just to hike back out from a plane crash.
Am I sitting in one place, waiting to be rescued (it is summer and presumably the pilot filed a flight plan and S&R will kick in); or was this a sooper sekret squirrel mission and no one knows or cares where I am?
Do I have a sidearm?
Do I have any other supplies?

In a plane crash scenario there were most likely emergency rations on the plane, so food would likely not even be an issue and you can just hike your happy ass back to to the world. The task of gathering food is much more efficiently accomplished with traps and snares versus shooting animals. Way way lower caloric output to get food that way. I know that some game animals can be killed fairly efficiently with a throwing stick used properly (see Dan Mannix's classic work A Sporting Chance) and given the season there may be significant non-game food options. Fish, berries, edible plants etc.

I'd plan on the rifle being solely for defense against predators, and stick with probably 375 H&H. It allows a light enough rifle to be able to hike, while still being effective against the largest bear. If I had a sidearm I'd want a little .22 pistol, ideally suppressed. Use that for potting small game as opportunity allows.

ETA: oh, and I'd want BUIS and one of the high end 1-5/6 illuminated reticle scopes.
View Quote

Most of the 185 Sky Wagons and Beavers I have flown on didn't have an emergency food supply that would sustain you. Trapping for food while hiking out wouldn't expedite your rate of travel. Walking out wouldn't be a cake walk even if you knew where you were headed. Icy stream crossings and muskeg don't make for fast foot travel. I read about a guy that left a road house near Circle to fish a lake and when he started back he took a "short cut" to avoid retracing his steps and get him around a swampy section of the trail  He thought the stream he was following would join the main river beside the road. It did but in 200 miles. He walked out 67 days later and had lost 70 pounds. When reality sets in survival fantasies don't amount to much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 w/ Norma or Lapua 155-56gr SP.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My custom CZ 527 M Carbine with shilen 6.5 grendel barrel. Lightweight and capable round that I could put quite a few in my pocket, and the rifle with scope only weighs 7lbs.
View Quote

Details please
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 Most of the 185 Sky Wagons and Beavers I have flown on didn't have an emergency food supply that would sustain you. Trapping for food while hiking out wouldn't expedite your rate of travel. Walking out wouldn't be a cake walk even if you knew where you were headed. Icy stream crossings and muskeg don't make for fast foot travel. I read about a guy that left a road house near Circle to fish a lake and when he started back he took a "short cut" to avoid retracing his steps and get him around a swampy section of the trail  He thought the stream he was following would join the main river beside the road. It did but in 200 miles. He walked out 67 days later and had lost 70 pounds. When reality sets in survival fantasies don't amount to much.
View Quote

I'm not sure what your point is here. Average 3 mph foot speed, walk a conservative 12 hours a day, for 90 days, and you've covered over 3000 miles. Cut it in half and you've still covered >1500 miles.

Exactly what "survival fantasy" are you trying to debunk here?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd make due with a 7mm-08, something light. But I'd rather have a shotgun and a variety of ammo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Steyr in 7mm Win Mag
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what your point is here. Average 3 mph foot speed, walk a conservative 12 hours a day, for 90 days, and you've covered over 3000 miles. Cut it in half and you've still covered >1500 miles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's trying to debunk the guys that would bring 375's and the like and plan on trapping small game with snares and such. Basically saying you would need to keep moving and not have time to dick around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not gonna average 3mph in AK, or most other places of wilderness. You're not gonna do it 12 hours a day for very long, living on what you can catch, either.

Even in the best of seasons, living off what you catch generally sucks unless you get lucky enough to nail a large critter AND you know WTF you're doing to preserve it from everything that wants to take it from you, from flies to varmints to mother nature trying to rot it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think he's trying to debunk the guys that would bring 375's and the like and plan on trapping small game with snares and such. Basically saying you would need to keep moving and not have time to dick around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The scenario stated "stay three months". Trapping is much more efficient than hunting at securing meat, if you know something about it.

Even covering ground, you put your traps out at night and gather them on the way out of camp the next day. Sometimes you may stay two days in an area of good activity. You won't have a high degree of success because your scent doesn't have time to dissipate. But, more devices bring your odds back up, along with not following normal trapping laws like not snaring burrowing animals, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
A big one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're not gonna average 3mph in AK, or most other places of wilderness. You're not gonna do it 12 hours a day for very long, living on what you can catch, either.

Even in the best of seasons, living off what you catch generally sucks unless you get lucky enough to nail a large critter AND you know WTF you're doing to preserve it from everything that wants to take it from you, from flies to varmints to mother nature trying to rot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you consider a reasonable foot speed and duration of march?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.
View Quote

I have taken grouse and seen many others taken out of trees with deer rifles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Rem 700, 7mm STW, good glass. Does everything I'll ever need it to do, except keep the bugs off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#30]
My 20" Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger (same ballistics as 375 H&H Magnum but in long vs magnum action and shorter barrel) ......

223/308/30-06/375Ruger/458WinMag ......

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My CZ550 in 9.3 x 62 Mauser
View Quote

Wait...I already said this!

You have immaculate taste in firearms, sir!

Semper fi too! 77-81. Was in the 2nd Wing. What about you?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#32]
i would not want a bolt action. id take my marlin guide gun in 45/70... laminate and stainless.

if i HAD to take a damn bolt.. it would probably be a ruger stainless synthetic, with a qd scope, and good iron sights.

i reread the op.... if i had to SURVIVE, for 3 months, with a firearm, in alaska... it would be a .12 guage pump shotgun... no second choice about it.  slugs and buckshot for the bears, wolves, and other big critters... and shotshells for the bunnies and other edible small game.

heres my first choice, of the guns i own right now.  i picked these, because i own them.. and i would feel comfortable carrying these.

remington 870 magpul. light, powerful, and very flexable.  with a bandoleer of slugs, buck, and small game shot. it will kill everything. bears, bucks, wolves, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, etc. its not a perfect hunting shotgun, but it does a damn good job.

second choice, that i own..... marlin 45/70 guide gun.

very powerful, pretty simple, light, short, and reliable.

if i had to move to alaska, and could only take a handful of the guns i currently own, it would be.

45/70 guide.
870 shotgun
ruger sr762
glock 10mm
10/22
remington .308 ltr

im not saying those are perfect.... but its what i own.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mauser 98K in 7x57.

You think starving is more of a threat than the bears.

What I don't think you understand is that you do not decide how much of a threat the bears are.  The bears decide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Mauser 98K in 7x57.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As much as a big gun would be handier defending yourself from predators. I'd opt for a marlin 983 in 22 magnum. Exposure and starvation is more likely to kill me than an animal.

You're from MO obviously you're a city boy like me and don't know about AK .

Not sure if serious..

but incase you are, you're god damn right I'm a city boy. I didn't grow up in the woods trapping small game and stalking elk.Which means I need every advantage I have in keeping myself fed. As I said I feel like starving is more a threat to me than bears. And although it's not ideal a 22 mag is still better than a sharp stick or starving.

You think starving is more of a threat than the bears.

What I don't think you understand is that you do not decide how much of a threat the bears are.  The bears decide.

Yes, because in Alaska you're more likely to have an aggressive encounter with a bear then the need to eat food in a 24 hour period.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep read all of the annual mauling stories and a vast majority could have been Avoided. But some people choose stupidity
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like this guy : Eventually, Nate said, they caught up to the bear where it had bedded in a creek bed. For reasons as yet unclear, Wes then decided to take photographs of the animal instead of shoot it.

"He took out his camera to take a picture," Nate said. "He had his rifle on his back."

http://www.adn.com/article/heroic-response-saved-alaska-bear-mauling-victim

Yep read all of the annual mauling stories and a vast majority could have been Avoided. But some people choose stupidity

mebbe bears up there are different than the browns here on the ABC islands in SE Alaska...

I know several people over the years who got chewed on and they did everything right. I know many more who dropped a charging bear right at their feet, mostly while they were deer hunting.

Gotta understand that the thick foliage of SE Alaska is completely different than the interior and seeing 50 yrds in the timber is a very open area. Its very easy to accidentally surprise a bear and if its a sow with cubs, you'll probably get chewed on.

So like I said before, Give me my .338 Win mag.

ETA: two of the guys who were attacked uprovoked were fatalities.

One of which I helped with the retrieval of. He sat at a fire and the bear came up and grabbed him from behind, ate him (guts mostly) buried the rest and left his decapitated head sitting several feet from the cache. I stood guard with a few others while the cops dug him up and She was out there pissed off just out of sight. That was a shoot on sight moment... cops finally got her and her cubs 3 days later.

makes a guy think twice to see shit like that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I am   absolutely STUCK with a turn-bolt  mauser style rifle, I'd take  a .338 win mag.
If I had MORE  choice it'd  more likely be an 1895 lever gun,  in 45-70.
View Quote

You ever try to clean the chamber and action of a lever in the field with a multi tool? Bolts are far superior from a maintenance and reliability perspective, not to mention the ability to work prone and shoot pointy things a long way.

I'd take any modern stainless bolt action in .300 or .338 WM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the road and well fed, you can do 25-30 miles a day if you're in excellent shape and not carrying to much and maintain it for weeks. Hard core through hikers do it for some sections.

There are parts of AK where you'd be doing good to cover 5 miles a day. Add in poor caloric intake and the necessity to acquire those calories and things turn mighty bleak from a realistic perspective.

We have a nice backpack loop here at Zalesky in OH. It's 25 miles and fairly hilly. I've done it in 9 hours a few times and that's hoofin' it with a day pack and no gun and I was in pretty good condition with plenty of calories. I sure as hell didn't feel like doing it again the next day.

Most races we do (freestyle nav races) we have to plot our course to get the most control points we can. We figure 2 mph to gage our loop size for 12 hour races. (there is a lot of bushwacking and serious altitude changes) 24 hours we scale back to 1.50-1.75 depending on terrain. Sounds slow until you do it.

Average back packers, on a trail, with good food will plan for around 12-14 miles a day. Some more, some less. We try to keep it under 10 for the scouts.

General answer? ...It depends on a lot of factors.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

Without the Boss on mine please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stainless Browning A-Bolt 300mag w/Boss

+1

Without the Boss on mine please.

Hey, I have one of those!

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What bolt rifle would you wish you had, if your small plane crashed and stranded you (alone) in the Alaska bush for 3 months; with only the rifle on your back and  1 cargo pants pocket full of ammo?

Lets assume its summer, and you did not get badly hurt in the crash.

and Yes, I have been watching a bit of Mountain Man & Alaskan Rail Road tv shows lately
View Quote

30.06 would do just fine.

but ya know without several other things as well it going to be probably not a survivable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur my 110 is unpleasant to shoot. In fact I was thinking of adding a new stock to it to add weight so it it a better shooter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can make low powered "plinking" rounds for .30cal rifles. I've heard of people doing it with 30-06 and 30-30 often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.
308 won't kill rabbits in AK? Kills em here, dead as fuck.

You like eating bloodshot mush?

You can make low powered "plinking" rounds for .30cal rifles. I've heard of people doing it with 30-06 and 30-30 often.

Yep, ive got some .30-06 to .32 ACP conversion rounds. they take a .32 ACP and put it in a stainless steel .30-06  bored out shell. fires the .32 ACP nicely, I haven't tested the .30-06 to tokarev conversion but it is on my list... there is also a .30 carbine conversion . accuracy with the .32 is well into the range of rabbit at 50 yards and a solid .32 ACP hitting a rabbit will easily take it out. 220 grain .30-06 rounds would easily take out a grizzley, and a168 grain would take a caribou nicely. what am I missing.

remmy 700 with pocket of .32 ACP .30-06, and some tokarev in there just in case I found a porcupine or a boo that needed shooting.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Details please
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My custom CZ 527 M Carbine with shilen 6.5 grendel barrel. Lightweight and capable round that I could put quite a few in my pocket, and the rifle with scope only weighs 7lbs.

Details please

I had shilen make me a 20" stainless steel 6.5 grendel barrel for my cz527 in 7.62x39. Had the barrel swapped and headspaced the old 7.62x39 magazines work just fine in for the grendel and glass bedded it to the orginal walnut stock from the rifle. Slapped a harris bipod on it, and a primary arms 4-14, and its been a great little rifle for me. I think i'm going to swap to one of the SWFA variables soon though to step up the glass quality.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
On the road and well fed, you can do 25-30 miles a day if you're in excellent shape and not carrying to much and maintain it for weeks. Hard core through hikers do it for some sections.

There are parts of AK where you'd be doing good to cover 5 miles a day. Add in poor caloric intake and the necessity to acquire those calories and things turn mighty bleak from a realistic perspective.

We have a nice backpack loop here at Zalesky in OH. It's 25 miles and fairly hilly. I've done it in 9 hours a few times and that's hoofin' it with a day pack and no gun and I was in pretty good condition with plenty of calories. I sure as hell didn't feel like doing it again the next day.

Most races we do (freestyle nav races) we have to plot our course to get the most control points we can. We figure 2 mph to gage our loop size for 12 hour races. (there is a lot of bushwacking and serious altitude changes) 24 hours we scale back to 1.50-1.75 depending on terrain. Sounds slow until you do it.

Average back packers, on a trail, with good food will plan for around 12-14 miles a day. Some more, some less. We try to keep it under 10 for the scouts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a lot of great info and sounds like you know what you're talking about .

BUT......you're STILL having to survive for three months , so why spend it all walking ??

Find a nice spot with water and a view , some natural features to help against the wind and set up camp . Do a little fishing and hunting and store the meat out of reach of bears and such and relax a bit ........you're still there for three months

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Alaska food cache, google it. Or you know, ask a homesteader.

ETA - if a person who is stranded in the AK wilderness for 3 months isn't ingenuitive, what kind of rifle he has is not his only concern. (see Chris McCandless)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind any big game you kill if not eaten on the spot must be carried or defended from scavengers including bears.

ETA - if a person who is stranded in the AK wilderness for 3 months isn't ingenuitive, what kind of rifle he has is not his only concern. (see Chris McCandless)

IIRC He made it from april to mid august with a brick of .22 LR and 5 lbs of rice.  Meals including an immature moose, lots of ptarmagin, and rabbits.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IIRC He made it from april to mid august with a brick of .22 LR and 5 lbs of rice.  Meals including an immature moose, lots of ptarmagin, and rabbits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind any big game you kill if not eaten on the spot must be carried or defended from scavengers including bears.

and he died in the end,.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ever walked up here!?!?!  Look up "muskeg", then look up number of calories burned an hour walking,  Simply walking on a flat ROAD for 12 hours will burn around 6000 calories( I would assume that a 50% increase for muskeg wouldn't be out of line). Now add in the basic requirement of 1200 calories (assuming you weigh 120lbs, a rough approximation is 100 calories for 10lbs of weight ), 3500 calories is a pound of butter(pure fat, as energy dense as you can get), so that is 2 lbs of butter per day for your 90 days of travel. A pound of king salmon is 800 calories(yeah that means 8 lbs of king salmon per day to keep that pace up, HAHA). You see any butter moose running around or you going to start out with 180 lbs of butter in a pack.(not to mention that carrying a 180lb pack would make your consumption rate of calories go up to about 1000 per hour) What about straight line? Having done land navigation here you cant go straight, while the river may be flowing you cant cross it due it's temperature being 40 degrees, or that it is partially frozen. There are areas up here where the road is the only sign of civilization for miles. You can travel up here but you need to do it smart, canoe, raft, ski (with sled), are all very viable ways to travel distance. Look up the locations of the native villages see how many are on rivers. Water, you going to walk a marathon and a quarter every day for 90 days on what a liter a day? Having done distance running with a 10lb pack ( I run self sustaining) I burn about a liter every 6 miles( hot days it goes to about double, really cold same).

The remoteness of parts of Alaska is alarming from a survival standpoint. The ideal plan wouldn't bwalk out it would be boat out. majority of the settlements are on water, and water moves you faster than you can walk, way less work, water supply is there, fish are a potential proposition, and you have crops of hunters and fishers routinely plying the area for game your odds would go up significantly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You ever walked up here!?!?!  Look up "muskeg", then look up number of calories burned an hour walking,  Simply walking on a flat ROAD for 12 hours will burn around 6000 calories( I would assume that a 50% increase for muskeg wouldn't be out of line). Now add in the basic requirement of 1200 calories (assuming you weigh 120lbs, a rough approximation is 100 calories for 10lbs of weight ), 3500 calories is a pound of butter(pure fat, as energy dense as you can get), so that is 2 lbs of butter per day for your 90 days of travel. A pound of king salmon is 800 calories(yeah that means 8 lbs of king salmon per day to keep that pace up, HAHA). You see any butter moose running around or you going to start out with 180 lbs of butter in a pack.(not to mention that carrying a 180lb pack would make your consumption rate of calories go up to about 1000 per hour) What about straight line? Having done land navigation here you cant go straight, while the river may be flowing you cant cross it due it's temperature being 40 degrees, or that it is partially frozen. There are areas up here where the road is the only sign of civilization for miles. You can travel up here but you need to do it smart, canoe, raft, ski (with sled), are all very viable ways to travel distance. Look up the locations of the native villages see how many are on rivers. Water, you going to walk a marathon and a quarter every day for 90 days on what a liter a day? Having done distance running with a 10lb pack ( I run self sustaining) I burn about a liter every 6 miles( hot days it goes to about double, really cold same).

The remoteness of parts of Alaska is alarming from a survival standpoint. The ideal plan wouldn't bwalk out it would be boat out. majority of the settlements are on water, and water moves you faster than you can walk, way less work, water supply is there, fish are a potential proposition, and you have crops of hunters and fishers routinely plying the area for game your odds would go up significantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is that the Op's initial proposition is hopeless and unrealistic? Why are you not yelling at him then?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#47]
A Ruger Alaskan. ??
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pic? I want to do exactly this but I don't know where to get the barrel or who can install it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

i reread the op.... if i had to SURVIVE, for 3 months, with a firearm, in alaska... it would be a .12 guage pump shotgun... no second choice about it.  slugs and buckshot for the bears, wolves, and other big critters... and shotshells for the bunnies and other edible small game.

View Quote

+1 to that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top