Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Romo gets intercepted because he tries to win the game by himself.    He is actually a decent quarterback, but he has to realize that he has to protect the ball.

The Cryboys have a horrible defence and they are going to suffer through a long season
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel sorry for Cowboy fans
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Todd Marinovich is available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Romo gets intercepted because he tries to win the game by himself.    He is actually a decent quarterback, but he has to realize that he has to protect the ball.

The Cryboys have a horrible defence and they are going to suffer through a long season
View Quote

Romo is more like Brett Favre than he would care to admit.

Plenty of space and time, throws short in double coverage: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000390940/Cox-intercepts-Romo

First and goal, gets flushed and tries to force it when most of the secondary is on that side of the end zone: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000390917/Willis-intercepts-Romo

Again, plenty of time and space, not a rushed throw, tosses it into triple coverage: http://www.nfl.com/videos/cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000390878/Wk-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Reid-intercepts-Romo
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Man this is odd. Listening to the post game show on the radio and the hosts are fucking ripping Romo.

I wonder if they'll have jobs tomorrow?
View Quote

lol they do that all the time,  its the local sport on the radio in Dallas.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with all of that but the decisions he made today are unforgivable in a NFL qb. Even the radio crew, who are employees of Jerry Jones, were saying that a high school quarterback wouldn't attempt the throws he was making. And they were right.

Romo has always put up great stats. But he ALWAYS makes the one or two or four plays that lose games.

The real problem is Jerry Jones and his ego. As said previously, there will be no winning as long as he's making football decisions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Romo apologist here.

No excuses for his mistakes today. He made some bad decisions but he just looked terrible out there. He missed more than 1 wide open receiver. It also doesn't help that Patrick Willis turned into Randy Moss.

My analysis on today:
The offensive and defensive lines were pretty good. I was impressed with the running game as I'm sure everyone was. The front 7 on defense wasn't too bad either. I expect they'll be better at stopping the run when they aren't playing such a stout running team. They looked good on passing downs though. Too bad the secondary couldn't make a play to save themselves. Hopefully they move Carr to safety once Scandrick comes back. I think he might actually be a good fit there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Romo apologist here.
No excuses for his mistakes today. He made some bad decisions but he just looked terrible out there. He missed more than 1 wide open receiver. It also doesn't help that Patrick Willis turned into Randy Moss. My analysis on today:
The offensive and defensive lines were pretty good. I was impressed with the running game as I'm sure everyone was. The front 7 on defense wasn't too bad either. I expect they'll be better at stopping the run when they aren't playing such a stout running team. They looked good on passing downs though. Too bad the secondary couldn't make a play to save themselves. Hopefully they move Carr to safety once Scandrick comes back. I think he might actually be a good fit there.
View Quote

I want $10 worth of the cheap phamacuticals your on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
How is it that the Cowboys are the most highly valued team in the NFL?

I just don't get it.

ETA: http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/

Cowboys   $3.2B
Patriots      $2.6B
Redskins   $2.4B
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just don't get it.
View Quote

Merchandise and attendance?  Just a guess, don't know how that works.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't get it.

Yeah, I guess I don't know why anyone would want their shit or attend their games.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Die hard Cowboy fan here and former Romo apologist. I don't want to get too caught up in a game we had no business winning in the first place (SF was in the NFC championship game last year). But watching that garbage on both sides of the ball yesterday gives me no hope that we'll do any better than 6-10 this year and that can easily be 4-12.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At least he didn't draft Manziel.  Give him that.  You guys that are complaining about Romo need to sit back and watch Cleveland over the next few years and realize, "damn, maybe we didn't have it all that bad."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cowboys fan since birth here.

Today, you can lay blame on Romo all you want. He's making multiple shitty decisions and just playing like a high schooler. He deserves it today.

However, usually he plays well and the vast majority of last year for example, could be blamed on the defense/shitty offensive line/running game. Not to mention Jerry Jones.

This.

Also a lifelong Cowboys fan.

Problem is Jerry Jones. He's made the team into the most valuable franchise in the NFL in spite of their shitty record.
Imagine if they had a few winning seasons...

That honor belongs to the fans that still love and support the team, despite 2 decades of mediocrity. I count myself as part of the blame for that as well.

I'm right there with you.

Jerry Jones need to quit being GM, hire someone who knows what he's doing, and shut up, and write checks.

At least he didn't draft Manziel.  Give him that.  You guys that are complaining about Romo need to sit back and watch Cleveland over the next few years and realize, "damn, maybe we didn't have it all that bad."

Well, Manziel is better choice than Clowney the Clown.  Not even one fucking quarter then out for the season.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Epic pissed off Cowboys fan rant!

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwUz0bjc1M
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Die hard Cowboy fan here and former Romo apologist. I don't want to get too caught up in a game we had no business winning in the first place (SF was in the NFC championship game last year). But watching that garbage on both sides of the ball yesterday gives me no hope that we'll do any better than 6-10 this year and that can easily be 4-12.
View Quote

I agree, the miners were the second best team in the league last year, no one expected the Cowboys to win. But they embarrassed themselves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Niners fan

If it weren't for Romo the Cowboys would of had a really good chance to win that game. Demarco Murray was running like a BEAST! The Niners run defense is supposed to be our strong point and Murray made em look like fools. Also, hard to say how bad the Dallas D is/was because your shitty QB kept putting them in terrible spots.

It's one game though fellas. Keep your chins up! He's usually a really good early to mid season qb. Its towards the end when it all matters that the problems begin.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
He isn't right after that last back surgery.

No velocity and air for days on the ball.

They better hope he recovers otherwise they have a massive contract and money problem for years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwUz0bjc1M

The really sad (funny?) thing is that that video was uploaded 2.5 years ago and is still relevant.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry Guys but if they hung Romo for being a good quarter back they would be killing an innocent man.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't get it.

Looked and sounded like a whole lot more 49er fans than Cowboy fans in the stadium, so attendance by opposing fans more so than Cowboy fans it would seem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]

lol.  comedy.

romo had a really bad game.  made stupid mistakes that doomed the team.  so they lost a game that they were expected to lose--one of the best teams in the NFC against one of the worst.  OTOH, if history holds, romo will put the cowboys in position to win 2-3 games that they have no business winning.

i'll take the bad with the good.  last 3 years have each finished 8-8.  without romo, the last 3 seasons would have been 6-10 or worse.

give romo the same defense as roethlisberger, flacco, or wilson had, and he would likely be wearing a couple of rings by now.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol.  comedy.

romo had a really bad game.  made stupid mistakes that doomed the team.  so they lost a game that they were expected to lose--one of the best teams in the NFC against one of the worst.  OTOH, if history holds, romo will put the cowboys in position to win 2-3 games that they have no business winning.

i'll take the bad with the good.  last 3 years have each finished 8-8.  without romo, the last 3 seasons would have been 6-10 or worse.

give romo the same defense as roethlisberger, flacco, or wilson had, and he would likely be wearing a couple of rings by now.  

View Quote

Truth. It's a team sport. I am always annoyed at Chris Collinsworth ect who drone on and on and on about how great a QB is...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#24]
After that, maybe the Cowboys should try wearing the blue jerseys.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
lol.  comedy.

View Quote

You and I have discussed Romo/Cowboys in the past so I'm not trolling you with this question.  What do you honestly expect from Romo in the next 2-4 years?  He's already 34 and had back issues.  I don't see him playing past 38 or 39.

Do you see any major changes or do you think he'll continue to put up great numbers at times but the boys will be 6-10, 8-8, 9-6 teams for a while?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You and I have discussed Romo/Cowboys in the past so I'm not trolling you with this question.  What do you honestly expect from Romo in the next 2-4 years?  He's already 34 and had back issues.  I don't see him playing past 38 or 39.

Do you see any major changes or do you think he'll continue to put up great numbers at times but the boys will be 6-10, 8-8, 9-6 teams for a while?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hard to say, after sunday.  romo's reputation is as an improviser, but that's not the core of his game.  like peyton, romo's success is based on his ability to diagnose exactly what the defense is going to do, and to get the ball to the right guy.  that's why he has been so successful in the 2 minute drill.  for the last several years, if DAL has had problems moving the ball, they could go to the hurry up and move basically at will.  an awful lot of people have noticed this, and there has been a lot of noise that romo should be able to run the no-huddle manning style.

unlike manning though, IMO romo's ability is primarily intuitive rather than analytical.  if you watch closely, he doesn't scroll through a progression so much he takes the snap, scans during his drop, snaps onto a receiver, and let the ball fly.  and the majority of the time, he very quickly and accurately hits the right guy.  i get the impression that he's feeling what the defense is trying to do more than geometrically analyzing a coverage.

i suspect this explains his failures as much as his successes.  IMO he's so supremely confident is his feel that he'll just let the ball go without that last split-second re-evaluation of "oh shit--that guy is triple covered" or "holy fuck--the receiver ran the wrong route".  you know when you're shooting rapid fire, and the front sight just seems to find the next target in its own without you having to think about it?  after a bunch of effortless hits, you have that one shot where you can see that the sight picture was off, but still let the shot go anyway.  afterwards, you ask yourself "why did i even pull the trigger?"

i think that this is exactly what happens to romo.  and i suspect this is why his picks come in bunches--most of the time, half of his INTs for an entire season come in 2 or 3 games.  that's also why he makes fewer big plays when he is concerned about turning the ball over.

if this is the case, then his field vision is what has made him successful, and i don't think that's going to go away with age.  his body is a concern though, and i don't think he looked physically right on sunday.  his accuracy was off, and a large number of balls lacked zip and floated on him.  if this persists, he's not going to be able to play the same way--he's going to have to go more towards a manning-like analytical approach.

as for predictions, this year looks like 8-8 plus or minus 1, so long as romo can do his usual carrying.  if he can't, then we're looking at 5-11.  the issue is team structure.  you can win with a dominant run game, so long as you have a solid defense that can get off the field on 3rd downs.  you can also win with a strong passing game combined with a playmaking defense that can get turnovers and big plays at key times.  DAL looks to have a strong run game, but the defense was awful on 3rd down when it counted.  and they also couldn't come up with any kind of big plays.  you can;t win games without having at least 1 of those 2.  they did well considering the overall lack of talent, but moral victories are not going to get you to the playoffs.

TL/DR:

the next several years depends almost entirely on the acquisition of defensive talent.  romo is more than capable of doing what wilson does for 4-5 more years, so long as he doesn't have to carry the entire weight of the team.  he's good, but he's not good enough to put the team over the top on his own.  the O line and run game is getting to the point where they should be able to help him on a consistent basis.  now the focus has to be on defense.  if spencer returns to form, and lawrence comes back from his injury, they will have a solid group that can get after the passer, which should help with the playmaking aspect.  the solidity of the defense is going to come from impact play from the linebackers.  they tried to address that this season, but shazier went to PIT and no one else was close to martin's value.

if they can address that through the draft, and finally get solid play out of claiborne, i think they have a legitimate shot at the playoff success next season, and for a couple of years after that.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Insanity defined is doing the same thing over and over again to achieve a different result. I am a lifelong Cowboy fan.
View Quote

you said it!!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

hard to say, after sunday.  romo's reputation is as an improviser, but that's not the core of his game.  like peyton, romo's success is based on his ability to diagnose exactly what the defense is going to do, and to get the ball to the right guy.  that's why he has been so successful in the 2 minute drill.  for the last several years, if DAL has had problems moving the ball, they could go to the hurry up and move basically at will.  an awful lot of people have noticed this, and there has been a lot of noise that romo should be able to run the no-huddle manning style.

SNIP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP

Nice analysis.  Interesting what you say about his INTs coming in bunches.  The run looked good but you're right, the defense is going to be a problem.  Time will tell if Ware has gas left in the tank with Denver, but I have to suspect loosing him and Lee will be felt on that side of the ball.

The team just looks mentally beat down at times.  Makes me wonder how long JJ will stick with Garrett and if he might fire him and bring in a big name just to try and get the team fired up again.  But you really can't overanalyze JJ's decision making.

ETA: As an aside, I just picked up the audiobook version of "Boys Will Be Boys" based on the recommendation of another ARFcommer.  I've always found the story behind the team, JJ and the early 90s dynasty teams fascinating.  I'm only a few chapters in but so far it's very interesting how JJ came to buy the team and the shift from Tom Landry to Jimmy Johnson.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Love seeing the Pokers get smoked...!

Great day in Texas it was on Sunday
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you Tony Romo for leading us to victory today with your extreme sick football throwing skillz
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#33]
How bout them Coyboys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#34]
He's not Quincy Carter, at least he's got that going for him
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I can't believe we won that game.

wow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

wow.
View Quote

2-1.

We're on the way to the playoffs!

GO COWBOYS!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

2-1.

GO COWBOYS!

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

2-1.

GO COWBOYS!

Chris

we are  still on track for 15-1!!!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

wow.
View Quote

Romo really didn't give the Rams his best effort today, he only gave them one TD.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Romo really didn't give the Rams his best effort today, he only gave them one TD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.

Two road wins in a row, today coming from a deep hole.

Don't let that piss in your Cheerios get you down.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.

^^LOL don't worry- I'm sure Romo Homo will step up it up next week and not let the other team down

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

^^LOL don't worry- I'm sure Romo Homo will step up it up next week and not let the other team down

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.

All I know is on October 5th he owes the Texans at least two TDs.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.

All I know is on October 5th he owes the Texans at least two TDs.  

true, since he absolutely wrecked houston the last time they played.  

social justice requires that romo stop oppressing them and redistribute some passes to the peasants.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#43]
He banged Jessica Simpson.  That's gotta be worth something
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Not a bad day for him

Division is still below average they could make the playoffs

Not sure how you blow a 21 point lead

Lol I've seen NYG blow bigger leads tho
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not a bad day for him

Division is still below average they could make the playoffs

Not sure how you blow a 21 point lead

Lol I've seen NYG blow bigger leads tho
View Quote

we know all about blowing leads - referencing the game against green bay last season.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

He banged Jessica Simpson.  That's gotta be worth something
View Quote

she's hot when made up, but in person, you'd never know she was an actual thing.  romo/simpson used to come into my bar when they were dating.  she didn't even stack up against our cocktail waitresses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Where's all them Romo haters?    
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Say what you will about Romo, but I don't recall any other QB doing this to JJ Watt:

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

The classic excuse is "wait until December" as a way to completely disregard anything good he does.

Apparently the bad stuff counts before December.  The good stuff doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're giving each other head at the local Y.

Chris
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top