Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/7/2014 3:13:56 AM EDT
Respiratory virus infecting children throughout the midwest

In Kansas City, about 450 children were recently treated at Children's Mercy Hospital, and at least 60 of them received intensive hospitalization, spokesman Jake Jacobson said.

Denver also is seeing a spike in respiratory illnesses resembling the virus, and hospitals have sent specimens for testing to confirm whether it's the same virus, CNN affiliate KUSA said.

More than 900 children have gone to Children's Hospital Colorado emergency and urgent care locations since August 18 for treatment of severe respiratory illnesses, including enterovirus and viral infections, hospital spokeswoman Melissa Vizcarra told CNN. Of those, 86 have been sick enough to be admitted to the Aurora facility.

And Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children had five children in intensive care and 20 more in the pediatric unit, KUSA said this week.

"This is the worst I've seen in my time here at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children," Dr. Raju Meyeppan told the outlet. "We're going to have a pretty busy winter at this institution and throughout the hospitals of Denver."

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
"Boarders" is the new "loose".

And yeah I wouldn't be surprised, lots of people coming into the country with no vaccinations and carrying nasty shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Boarders" is the new "loose".
View Quote

REPEL BOARDERS!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
No, its the result of anti vaccination moonbats...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
How Midwest are we talking?  Hantavirus has been rampant in some communities for about a decade now.

Edit NVM 20  cases is hardly enough to fight back a fart, much less mobilize the CDC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Wow apparently you did not read the story.  When did they start giving out enterovirus D68 vaccines for school. I must of missed that one.

When is the last time you got your enterovirus D68 vaccine?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Border control and innoculations and disease control be racist and imperialist and shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
From the article:

The virus causes symptoms like a cold, except worse...
View Quote

Which is how sensationalist journalists say "Lots of kids are getting really bad colds."
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wow apparently you did not read the story.  When did they start giving out enterovirus D68 vaccines for school. I must of missed that one.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no vaccine for it because it's the common fucking cold.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Border control and innoculations and disease control be racist and imperialist and shit.
View Quote

there's not been one post you've made that I disliked.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You did read where at one hospital alone in the past month roughly 900 children have been sent to the emergency room/urgentcare, including ICU?  Yeah not the common cold.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

From the article:

Which is how sensationalist journalists say "Lots of kids are getting really bad colds."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the article:

The virus causes symptoms like a cold, except worse...

Nonsense.  It's probably airborne Ebola, or a flu virus that escaped from a government lab.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#12]
A co-worker of my wife's, child got this and went from flu like symptoms to near respiratory failure in 1 hour (is now doing better, thankfully).  They're both nurses and are seeing a LOT of this at work here in Colorado
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A co-worker of my wife's, child got this and went from flu like symptoms to near respiratory failure in 1 hour (is now doing better, thankfully).  They're both nurses and are seeing a LOT of this at work here in Colorado
View Quote

I guess the child didn't get the message that it is "just a cold".
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS...You must have read Barry Soetoro's mind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
They've mentioned this on the local news here in St. Louis, where it's also happening. They said it's presenting like a serious asthma attack, so it's a bit more serious than a cold, although nothing to get panicked about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Me thinks if it were from open boarders then California, Texas, Arizona etc would have more cases than the Midwest....

Still, I hope all the kids get well soon, I hate seeing sick kids.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
No, this stuff has been around since the 60's.      http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEV68
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, the crud has already started up going around this year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]
It's probably a number of things: Open borders, third world travel by those who should know better and this helicopter mom play date culture which prevents kids from building a healthy immune system by playing outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Migrating populations introduce diseases into new regions where they have not been seen before?

Whodathunkit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm pretty sure Borders shut down several years ago, and Barnes & Noble is not far behind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure Borders shut down several years ago, and Barnes & Noble is not far behind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Even in 1890, immigrants were checked for disease. Now, feelings trump common sense. I wonder how many American children will die so that Liberals can feel good about themselves?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You did read where at one hospital alone in the past month roughly 900 children have been sent to the emergency room/urgentcare, including ICU?  Yeah not the common cold.  
The common cold can kill you, most of the known viruses that cause colds are enteroviruses, and you can walk into an emergency room for whatever you want.

I'm not saying this isn't something worth worrying about; I'm saying that they're pulling the old "dihydrogen monoxide" trick because nobody would care about it if they called it by its common name.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

The number of people not getting their kids immunized is very small.  They are the ones at risk.  Not you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/06/health/respiratory-virus-midwest/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

In Kansas City, about 450 children were recently treated at Children's Mercy Hospital, and at least 60 of them received intensive hospitalization, spokesman Jake Jacobson said.
Denver also is seeing a spike in respiratory illnesses resembling the virus, and hospitals have sent specimens for testing to confirm whether it's the same virus, CNN affiliate KUSA said.

More than 900 children have gone to Children's Hospital Colorado emergency and urgent care locations since August 18 for treatment of severe respiratory illnesses, including enterovirus and viral infections, hospital spokeswoman Melissa Vizcarra told CNN. Of those, 86 have been sick enough to be admitted to the Aurora facility.

And Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children had five children in intensive care and 20 more in the pediatric unit, KUSA said this week.

"This is the worst I've seen in my time here at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children," Dr. Raju Meyeppan told the outlet. "We're going to have a pretty busy winter at this institution and throughout the hospitals of Denver."

View Quote

Yeah blame it on foreigners. LOL. Could you be any more obvious?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
The point that this is coming from illegal aliens/criminal invaders welcomed by Obama need to hit the social media realm hard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, this stuff has been around since the 60's.      http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEV68
View Quote

I have never heard of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/06/health/respiratory-virus-midwest/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

wat?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you think happens when you let disease carrying people in by the thousands and immediately disperse them into the general population??  Libtard wanton lust for power and political correctness will kill this country.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
meh, I work at a school. My kid had it last week, I am finally recovering. 4 days of complete stupefying head cold.

When it is 100% cleared up I will feel like fucking Einstein in comparison to last week plus I am now immune to the mexivirus
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat?

Its just 2minkey again.  Ignore him and he'll go away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]

I didn't know Colorado was considered part of the "midwest", but whatever.

Anyway, I'm just getting over a respiratory infection.  I get them once or twice a year.  Nothing new.  As far as I know, I haven't been exposed to any illegal aliens.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#35]
colds do not cause the hospitalization of hundreds of kids.

Anybody with half a brain can see this is not just a cold.

Sometimes the stupidity in GD is astounding.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I didn't know Colorado was considered part of the "midwest", but whatever.

Anyway, I'm just getting over a respiratory infection.  I get them once or twice a year.  Nothing new.  As far as I know, I haven't been exposed to any illegal aliens.

View Quote

It's not...just like Indiana, Ohio, Ill, Wisc, etc. aren't.  Journalists are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
meh, I work at a school. My kid had it last week, I am finally recovering. 4 days of complete stupefying head cold.

When it is 100% cleared up I will feel like fucking Einstein in comparison to last week plus I am now immune to the mexivirus
View Quote

Mother has it right now so I couldn't go out there for my weekly home cooked meal on Saturday :(  and when I was working Friday morning I had to go replace the battery pack in an electronically controlled button combo door (when they start to fail they will make a beeping noise to let you know) in one of our facilities, and the chick that accessed me was hacking and sneezing and coughing like crazy.  I am surprised that whore at work didn't infect me.

But yeah, it is going around. It is a viral thing so if you stay hydrated and rest and take proper precautions no need to go the hospital because they are just gonna give you antibiotics that will actually have no effect on it except to make you more susceptible in the future and possibly lead to some nasty side affects down the road for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat?

Saying anything negative about illegal,,,, er, I mean foreigners is racist n shit.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have missed = must've missed not must of. Did you "of" an English book where you went to school?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not, "the common fucking cold."
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Could be the Illegals, the Islamists, or even Obama causing this.  According to GD, everything is caused by one or more of them.  Maybe the Jews too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#42]
My son spent the night in the hospital last Tuesday because of this virus. Ended having 4 breathing treatments before his O2 stayed above 91%.  A little scary for us, but he kept on wanting to go outside and play.  

No helicopter parents here, I took him to urgent care when it sounded like he was breathing through a coffee stirrer, they sent him to the hospital.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  It is.  See the guy's post in this thread who actually had it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#44]
This is also going on in Quincy, IL as well.  Just read about it yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like the guy above your post that said it isn't common cold?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you think the common cold puts hundreds of kids in the hospital  at the same time.?

Really? You really think that?

It isn't even cold and flu season. When was the last time you knew anybody with a cold in August?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, OP it is...plus they get put into schools with the health kids....well, until they get sick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#48]
My 5 year old grandson got out of Childrens in San Diego today after a 14 day stay for a respiratory infection, that developed into pneumonia.  4 other kids on his ward with similar.

Doctor mentioned that something 'strong' was going around

Worrying times!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Even in 1890, immigrants were checked for disease. Now, feelings trump common sense. I wonder how many American children will die so that Liberals can feel good about themselves?
View Quote

They won't care they only care about votes and that American kid that dies has a 50/50 chance of being a Republican, whereas the one coming over the border is going vote Democrat 100% of the time
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top