Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 10:17:18 PM EDT

I think it turned out pretty good! It's a hell of an appetizer, and I think I'll throw it in the rotation. Thanks, TrojanMan!

Idea originated from here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1661910_Favorite_go_to_appetizer_at_home.html&page=1#i49140063
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those shrimp look almost fresh. Where did you get those?  
View Quote

My local Giant Eagle. You're right - they're almost fresh.

It's not quite pulling them out of the Gulf, but...I live in Ohio. They're still pretty good, even if I still can't find them with the heads on. Ya do what ya can.  $9.99/lb.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks pretty dam good. I would fo on that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm.
To exercise an extra hour tomorrow or not......
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I never will understand why people like to leave the shell on them. That shit is crunchy and sharp.   Possumqueen likes to eat them that way for some reason though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Couldn't help myself either. Second batch came out better, quite a tasty appetizer

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I never will understand why people like to leave the shell on them. That shit is crunchy and sharp.   Possumqueen likes to eat them that way for some reason though.
View Quote

I peeled it off, minus the tail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Needs cream cheese (with chives and garlic mixed in), jalapeños, Lemon Pepper and Tony Chachere's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If grilling directly on fire, leaving the shell on is all kinds of awesome.

It peels off as easy as can be once cooked. But trapping the steam inside the shrimp, or whatever the hell is going on, makes them taste even gooder than usual. Try it. Need big shrimp to make it work.

As for bacon-wrapped shrimp, precook the bacon next time before wrapping the shrimp. That way one gets crispy bacon AND properly cooked shrimp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]

No jalapenos, No pepperjack cheese, No paprika, No cayenne
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Gulf shrimp
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
so tasty looking!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole thing is the tail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Mmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw the other thread but the visual clinches it. I'm going to give it a try this Sunday while watching some football.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dunno. I love bacon as much as the next guy...

... but it overpowers some foods, and I would think shrimp is on that list. Shrimp has a pretty delicate flavor, and it would seem like wrapping one in a strip of bacon would have you tasting nothing but bacon.
View Quote

Kinda agree. I think it would have been better with half a strip around each one, and that's what I'll try next time. These are pretty big shrimp, and you're still biting into a pretty meaty one after you clear the bacon.

Also, I could have baked the bacon a few minutes longer before wrapping the shrimp. It needed juuuuust a bit more crisp to it. But...better that than overcooked, rubbery shrimp. I pulled it when the shrimp was ready (~5min @400F) and decided to live with less than perfect bacon.

I'm nitpicking, though. It was actually pretty good for my first crack at it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know what I mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what I mean.

Do I?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Couldn't help myself either. Second batch came out better, quite a tasty appetizer  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/-Lone_wolf-/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg
View Quote

Thread OP made better use of bacon but that does not mean I would not make your tray disappear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No jalapenos, No pepperjack cheese, No paprika, No cayenne
View Quote

Nailed it.

Shrimp...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thread OP made better use of bacon but that does not mean I would not make your tray disappear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried a few different types of bacon for this, and decided that the Giant Eagle Market District Thick Cut was the best of the bunch. That's what I ended up taking a picture of. BUT...I should have went with half a slice.

The thinner and fattier stuff was harder to spread the horseradish on, harder to roll, and just a bit too greasy in general.

Here's some of the Value Time cheap stuff:
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Jumbo shrimp...peel and devein..slice open length wise....put in cream cheese and a sliver of jalapeno...close shrimp...wrap with half a strip precooked bacon...toothpick to hold it closed....broil on high for 4 min then turn over and give them 3-4  more minutes.   Shrimp Diablo!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I made some bacon wrapped shrimp the other day.  I used a pound of bacon and lightly cooked it in a frying pan to get some grease out.  Seasoned the shrimp with some cajun seasoning and then wrapped the shrimp and put them in the oven, turning once, until pink and done.  The bacon was just a bit crispy.

Then, I used the bacon grease in the frying pan to sear and cook a seasoned top sirloin to medium rare.  I had some extra bacon left, so we had cajun seasoned bacon wrapped shrimp, a seared steak in bacon grease, with a side of bacon.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Appetizer? I'll eat a tray for dinner
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm...  Wonder what that would be like finished off in the smoker!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Appetizer? I'll eat a tray for dinner
View Quote

to be honest, I ate five of the things and skipped dinner. It was more filling than I expected.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Good effort. I think.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I may have to try these but the Buffalo Turds are hard to beat.  Some of my family can't handle the heat of the Jalapeno so I'll just have to make both
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I may have to try these but the Buffalo Turds are hard to beat.  Some of my family can't handle the heat of the Jalapeno so I'll just have to make both
View Quote

Hard to beat?

The ABT is UNBEATABLE. It reigns supreme. Fuck ABT as a mere appetizer; a few trays of them and BAM. Dinner is served.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I tried a few different types of bacon for this, and decided that the Giant Eagle Market District Thick Cut was the best of the bunch. That's what I ended up taking a picture of. BUT...I should have went with half a slice.

The thinner and fattier stuff was harder to spread the horseradish on, harder to roll, and just a bit too greasy in general.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Dinner/Bacon%20Wrapped%20Shrimp/2014-09-02%2021.30.11.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Dinner/Bacon%20Wrapped%20Shrimp/2014-09-02%2021.30.11.jpg

I used half a strip of thick sliced bacon, was just right. I just need to find good horseradsish now, I'm not a huge fan of the creamy stuff (but, make do with what you can get of course)
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Those look tasty!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hard to beat?

The ABT is UNBEATABLE. It reigns supreme. Fuck ABT as a mere appetizer; a few trays of them and BAM. Dinner is served.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to beat?

They are ALWAYS the meal at this household when we have them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to beat?

What is ABT? What is the recipe?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I did a pic thread on this one years ago. It's a GREAT appetizer.

Difference between mine and yours was that I could buy shrimp that were swimming 24 hours ago.

Now try Jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Edit: Damn., Deleted my pics of the jalapenos.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

... but it overpowers some foods, and I would think shrimp is on that list. Shrimp has a pretty delicate flavor, and it would seem like wrapping one in a strip of bacon would have you tasting nothing but bacon.
View Quote

Bacon wrapped, deep fried chicken livers.

Bacon is not going to overpower that liver flavor.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Those look awesome.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to beat?

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not to mention what the horseradish in that recipe would mask.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top