Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 8:40:06 PM EDT
One of my good friends always joked that if he got married he'd want me as his minister. Let me clear the air and tell you I am not a minister.

He meets a girl, they're together a couple of years and she jokes along with him that I'll be they're minister.

This weekend they got engaged, called me right after calling family, and told me to get my shit together because they're officially asking me to be their minister.

So about this time next year they'll be getting married in California and that's where I'll need to be cleared to be an official. I'm doing some googling and getting an idea, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done it.

Do you have any tips or hints or useful resources? Even if it's not California specific I'd like to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: If any professional ministers can chime in with any thoughts, especially about your first time, it'd be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag cause i've talked about the same thing with my friend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend got into it just to do a family wedding on one of our friends.

He did such a good job that he has done over a dozen all over the place now and has a big binder full of his services.

Makes good money at it to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it years ago. In my state a notary public could perform the ceremony. I went to the county courthouse and picked up the appropriate paperwork and filed it after the wedding.  It was pretty cool, and the only time I did it.  The marriage didn't last two years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Universal Life Church.
Free ordination, valid in most states.
I live in OH now, registered, do biker weddings where a 'regular' Church would most likely not do it.
ULC is valid in OH, GTG!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Universal Life Church.
I live in OH now, registered, do biker weddings where a 'regular' Church would most likely not do it.
ULC is valid in OH, GTG!
View Quote

This....I got ordained 5 years ago to marry friends and to irritate my Baptist minister neighbor, you know....So easy a heathen could do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my reverendship via Universal Life Church as well...even had it added to a credit card.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I did my buddy's wedding a few years ago.  Went smooth,  nice and short,  just like they wanted. I got a nice bottle of single malt as payment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother was a JP and did one of his son's weddings in his back yard.  The kid is divorced now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My step father officiated my 2nd wedding this summer. Anyone over 18 can officiate in WA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Universal Life Church.
ULC is valid in OH, GTG!
View Quote

My late wife did this and married three different couples in Texas and New Mexico.  

The same organization also confirmed me as a Jedi Knight.  I have the certificate framed in my office.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
We had a friend all set to officiate for us at our wedding this summer. He turned into a little bitch and bailed two weeks before the wedding. That was a fun debacle to deal with don't do that
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never heard of that; somehow I think someone with more spiritual weight would be better. Can't you request to MC the reception?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I was asked once.  I declined.  I'm afraid God would finally say, "That's enough of your bullshit, why don't you come up here and have a little chat with Peter."  A friend of ours did it and it went well.  I couldn't have done near as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never heard of that; somehow I think someone with more spiritual weight would be better. Can't you request to MC the reception?
View Quote

I would guess they don't want a religious wedding. Justice of the peace did ours, kept it short, no religious stuff and on to the reception.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's not that kind of spiritual thing for them. For them it's sharing their love with their friends and family (and the state). If they're not going to have anybody religious do it, why not have someone in your life that you care about, and cares about you, perform the ceremony and share in the celebration?

To add weight to this, I MC'd the wedding for one of our other good shared buddies last fall. My guy who asked me to be his officiant was there with his (now) fiancé and what I did is what solidified them wanting me to be their officiant. In our group of friends I have been the best man a couple of times and written (or re-written or co-authored) almost all of the best man speeches. I have no problem with public speaking and working a crowd.

To clarify; I am a very spiritual guy but I keep it personal. I stay out of religion threads and keep it out of the lives of others. The last thing I want is for this to be some kind of debate of marriage and sacraments and religion. They legally need someone to marry them. They have asked me to do it. I know it can be done. I'm going to do it. I'm here looking for advice on how to get it done, tips, pointers, and how to avoid any mistakes.

EDIT

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would guess they don't want a religious wedding. Justice of the peace did ours, kept it short, no religious stuff and on to the reception.

Bingo. They would just rather have someone close than a justice of the peace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#16]
My uncle is a minister for just this purpose, he runs a DJ business and gives people that hire him a package deal. He said the main reason he did it, is because some couples will bring a justice of the peace in, and some can be long winded, one stood their and talked about the scenery for 35 minutes, so my uncle who also does the sound for wedding, decided anyone can do this so why not me. He has also been the president of his church for almost 30 years so he is fairly religious outside of work. He also loves guns and lets me hunt on his land, eat his food, and stay at his cabin so we can shoot guns a couple times a year. I returned the favor this year by building him  an AR. I believe he did his ministry traing through his church.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I did it years ago. In my state a notary public could perform the ceremony. I went to the county courthouse and picked up the appropriate paperwork and filed it after the wedding.  It was pretty cool, and the only time I did it.  The marriage didn't last two years.
View Quote

Same here.  I sat at my desk, and my co-worker and his fiance were sitting across from me.  We did all the requisite paperwork, and said all the requisite things.

After I pronounced them man and wife, I asked if they had any words for each other (Awww....)

He looked at her, she looked at him, and she said "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance."  

They've been together 16 years now, and just celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I had 3 of my friends divy up most of the ceremony and my uncle who is a legit minister stepped in to do the legal part.  Let everyone be invlolved without having 6 groomsmen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#20]
It's easy. The "celebration" is whatever they want it to be, and yourd ordination takes 1 week to get registered with the state. I did my first one 6 months ago. I am not a "minister." Get your ordination at Universal Life Church online, pay 10$ to have it shipped to you, then send that and 25$ to the state. You are now a legal minister in Ohio for life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top