Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace my POS 2003 Honda Accord From Hell soon. Looking for a solid, reliable 4-door car of similar size. The Fusions look nice at first glance. It appears that I can get a Fusion with half the miles of a comparably priced Accord. Any problems or issues with the Fusions that I should be aware of?

Or any suggestions for other cars that I should be looking at? I've had terrible luck with Dodge, won't go near a newer model Chevy. My Dad has a Camry that is ok, but nothing to write home about. What else is out there of good quality? My budget is around 15k.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Crap shoot. Buy a Toyota
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Which has a better warrantee and TCO (total cost of ownership)?

Can you get the Fusion as a dealer demo? Used?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive a 2011 Fusion that I bought new.  46K miles so far with zero maintenance issues other than standard oil changes.  It's a solid, comfortable car.

-Gator
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Mazda 6  maybe?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a 2010 Ford Fusion for my daughter in late 2012 (used). She drives the hell out of it and probably isn't the best driver...hard accelerations and then throw out the anchor to stop. Replaced from brakes just last week. Other than that no problems. One recall recently for of all things floor mats. Turned out ours were ok.. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
2003 accord, that's the first year of the Gen 7's I believe.
If you have the time, what was wrong with it?

After owning 3 generations of accords I decided to go BMW, kind of just seemed like a natural progression.
You can get some nice 3 series BMW's for less then $30k with warranties still.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2003 accord, that's the first year of the Gen 7's I believe.

If you have the time, what was wrong with it?

View Quote

I bought it in 2010 with 90k miles on it. I paid 6 grand cash for it. Had it checked out by 2 different mechanics who I trust. Car looked good, no major problems to be seen. Within a month of taking possession it started burning oil pretty bad. After further research and inspection, turns out the oil rings on the pistons were fucked. Turns out this is a not-so-well-known problem with the early 7th gen 2.4L motors. Mine was probably caused by maintenance neglect by the previous owner. Only fix is a full rebuild. I was not going to pay for that. I checked and changed the oil religiously after that.

10k miles later, the timing chain let go while I was driving to work. Also probably damaged by the neglect of the previous owner. Bent a valve pretty good. I didn't have the money at the time to fix the valve. Ive been helping it limp along since then. It's got 174k miles on it now, but I don't think I it will last through the winter.

I'm not opposed to getting another Accord, but I definitely want the 3.5 V6 and lower miles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2010 Fusion and have absolutely loved it, decent power for a 4 cyl and the 6spd auto gets pretty good gas mileage.  I average about 27 MPG with it.  The ride is pretty nice for a mid size.  I would recomend it to anyone

What I would really like to do is trade it in on a 2014 model, those look really nice and even more power!

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I'll add the Fusion to my list of potentials. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Drove a 13 in Maui for two weeks. Loved the car.
Can't help with mechanical or operational issues...I suggest looking at car forums that discuss make/model you're interested in.

Yes Timmy, there are other forums out there
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a 2011 ford fusion 4cyl as a work car with 39K, it sucks. Tranny shifts funny, slow and ugly. Other workers have them too and the tranny in a couple of them have already blown.  Have an 06 Honda accord v6. Some years( 03-05 and 07) have auto tranny problems and an issue with the number 5 spark plug hole because the head was machined incorrectly, my spark plug was working loose.  If it works its way loose you can destroy the engine with debris falling in from the battered spark plug. I used have an issue with it backfiring through the intake at partial throttle but it went away. Also the V6 uses a timing belt, added expense. Look at a 2007 up Camry V6.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2010 Fusion with @ 60,000 miles. Had it about a year and have had no problems. 4 cyl. model.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm looking to replace my POS 2003 Honda Accord From Hell soon. Looking for a solid, reliable 4-door car of similar size. The Fusions look nice at first glance. It appears that I can get a Fusion with half the miles of a comparably priced Accord. Any problems or issues with the Fusions that I should be aware of?

Or any suggestions for other cars that I should be looking at? I've had terrible luck with Dodge, won't go near a newer model Chevy. My Dad has a Camry that is ok, but nothing to write home about. What else is out there of good quality? My budget is around 15k.

View Quote

Toyota Camry SE with the V6

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Fusions are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife loves her 2011 Fusion, no issues so far.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
have a buddy with a fusion hybrid and he really likes it....

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
just got one for the wifey, 2013,   haven't had it long, but ive really liked it so far.  drives nice, great features and looks sharp with black paint and the dark sporty rims.  Also gets great gas mileage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife drives the piss out of a 2009 sel. Only major fix was a/c compressor, now has 157000 on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 2010 Fusion and have absolutely loved it, decent power for a 4 cyl and the 6spd auto gets pretty good gas mileage.  I average about 27 MPG with it.  The ride is pretty nice for a mid size.  I would recomend it to anyone

What I would really like to do is trade it in on a 2014 model, those look really nice and even more power!

View Quote

27 to me is not good for a 4 banger. We had an 06 Pontiac G6 V6 that got 32 on hwy and 27 all around with my lead foot driving. It had enough balls to get up to speed in no time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Ford fusion 80% built in Mexico . Accord and Camry 80% American workers built. My decision for an Accord.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top