Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/2/2014 2:25:00 PM EDT
I have seen both claims

what is your opinion...or proof...

Liars not liers
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A lie when they prove me wrong.  Truth when I am right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Outliers?

Or liars?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
unreliable on political events, they lean heavily left. OK on other issues
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Snopes is fine for "A boy got bitten by a snake in the McDonalds ball pit" stuff.

For anything political, they'll shade it as much as possible to the left.  I don't think they flat-out lie about stuff, but they spin pretty  hard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Outliers?

Or liars?
View Quote

How about bad spellers for 1000 alex
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Snopes is fine for "A boy got bitten by a snake in the McDonalds ball pit" stuff.

For anything political, they'll shade it as much as possible to the left.  I don't think they flat-out lie about stuff, but they spin pretty  hard.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Can somebody post an example of something political they got wrong?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

I always loved the one on the Clinton death list. "yeah, pretty much everyone on the list died the way that it says they did and they had the stated connections to the Clintons but it is obviously false, because we say so."
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I always loved the one on the Clinton death list. "yeah, pretty much everyone on the list died the way that it says they did and they had the stated connections to the Clintons but it is obviously false, because we say so."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

In other words, they didn't buy the half-baked conspiracy theory you like, so they're untrusted worthy.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  If I weren't so lazy I'd post a few of their left-leaning spins.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
They have, like everyone else, their own agenda.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always sort of marveled at the fact that Snopes is sort of used as a judge and jury for many topics. Who made them the gatekeepers of facts and truth?

"You know that guy that spilled coffee in his crotch at McDonalds? He got $87 million dollars in a lawsuit."
"BS man. No way."
"Dang right he did. I read it on Snopes."

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much nailed it. People will flip out if you try to quote them here though, despite the fact that they provide sources for all their claims.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've always sort of marveled at the fact that Snopes is sort of used as a judge and jury for many topics. Who made them the gatekeepers of facts and truth?

"You know that guy that spilled coffee in his crotch at McDonalds? He got $87 million dollars in a lawsuit."
"BS man. No way."

View Quote

Because they post sources and give explanations of why they gave the answer they did.  That tends to lend credibility, especially when combined with a history of being right.

If you have an issue with a specific claim, you can actually attempt to debunk it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have seen both claims

Liars not liers
View Quote

Liberals.
And, IIRC, they don't always reveal their source information.  Sometimes they do, but not always.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"BS man. No way."

View Quote

You would make a good point if it weren't for the fact hat snopes actually has sources you can check yourself that back up their claims. This stuff isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, for me too.

I think they do a pretty good job of de-bunking a lot of the internet falsehoods.

Even though I've heard they lean left I can't really find any evidence of that in their Snopes articles.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree with the previously mentioned sentiment that Snopes is good for anecdotal bullshit, but the second it is something political or serious you can feel the strain in their voice.

That said I have always thought of Snopes as drunken wikipedia. Not an unassailable authority, but good enough to stop a bar argument over who came first Chewbacca or Ookla the Mok.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#23]
truth when it fits their agenda, liars when it doesnt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
+2

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
+3 fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Ignore the politics and they're usually pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Both.

They include enough Truth to make them the accepted go-to source.

But they are excellent propaganda for the left.  

Similar to the MSM, with perhaps Snopes being a little more credible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, for me too.   I think they do a pretty good job of de-bunking a lot of the internet falsehoods.
Even though I've heard they lean left I can't really find any evidence of that in their Snopes articles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, for me too.   I think they do a pretty good job of de-bunking a lot of the internet falsehoods.

Here's a link to their page on Obama.  Of all the crap this guy's done, it's fascinating that they have so few green lights, and of those most of them aren't damaging to him in any way.  For most of the damaging stuff, they'll spin the rumor, or take the most outlandish version, so they can call something a "mix of true and false".  As I said, I don't think they outright lie about things, but you can shade things pretty heavily by doing what I just described, and by deciding what to debunk and what to ignore.  Where, for example, is his quote about causing energy costs to skyrocket?  That wasn't worth confirming or debunking?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here's a link to their page on Obama.  Of all the crap this guy's done, it's fascinating that they have so few green lights, and of those most of them aren't damaging to him in any way.  For most of the damaging stuff, they'll spin the rumor, or take the most outlandish version, so they can call something a "mix of true and false".  As I said, I don't think they outright lie about things, but you can shade things pretty heavily by doing what I just described, and by deciding what to debunk and what to ignore.  Where, for example, is his quote about causing energy costs to skyrocket?  That wasn't worth confirming or debunking?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a difference between claiming they won't cover things that have answers they don't like and claiming that they are wrong in what they cover.

The former, sure.  I can see that happening, even though it's going to be hard to actually prove.  But whatever, we can assume that's true for now.  It doesn't really invalidate anything they do cover.

The latter, well, can you point out a specific rumor on that page which you feel should be rated differently and explain why?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I've noticed a left wing slant in a few of their claims that involve politics. It wasn't extreme, but there were times it was noticeable.

I have to go do a few things, and it's a pain in the ass to look through the listings at that site, so maybe I'll do it later.

Maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
They seem to be a little bit of both.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which of the red-lit items do you believe?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because they post sources and give explanations of why they gave the answer they did.  That tends to lend credibility, especially when combined with a history of being right.

If you have an issue with a specific claim, you can actually attempt to debunk it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BS man. No way."

It's been many years ago and I don't even remember what it was about, but I emailed them once about something they had wrong and they changed it.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's been many years ago and I don't even remember what it was about, but I emailed them once about something they had wrong and they changed it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BS man. No way."

That's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Liberals.
And, IIRC, they don't always reveal their source information of funding.  Sometimes they do, but not always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen both claims

Liars not liers

Liberals.
And, IIRC, they don't always reveal their source information of funding.  Sometimes they do, but not always.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There's a difference between claiming they won't cover things that have answers they don't like and claiming that they are wrong in what they cover.

The former, sure.  I can see that happening, even though it's going to be hard to actually prove.  But whatever, we can assume that's true for now.  It doesn't really invalidate anything they do cover.

The latter, well, can you point out a specific rumor on that page which you feel should be rated differently and explain why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't claim they were wrong, I said they spin things.  I specifically said they don't outright lie.  If you want an example of spin, I linked the page.  Look at the "57 states" comment.  That was flat true, but they took the most extreme rumor they could find so they could take up for him.  Same with the Bill Ayers "rumor", same with snubbing the funeral of Maggie Thatcher.  You don't have to be "wrong" to spin something, and I suspect you know that.  I wonder if they'll address the "rumor" that they were more concerned with the funeral of Michael Brown than the former PM of our closest ally?

You defending them is evidence enough of their slant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Why would you go to a fact-checking site for anything political?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

I didn't read it in detail, but the way they spun what the Wookie said about comparing illegal aliens and TJ, GW and other founders was pretty obviously biased.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This....from what I Understand, all they do is google the shit out a subject to get more information on the "Stories"
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I didn't claim they were wrong, I said they spin things.  I specifically said they don't outright lie.  If you want an example of spin, I linked the page.  Look at the "57 states" comment.  That was flat true, but they took the most extreme rumor they could find so they could take up for him.  Same with the Bill Ayers "rumor", same with snubbing the funeral of Maggie Thatcher.  You don't have to be "wrong" to spin something, and I suspect you know that.  I wonder if they'll address the "rumor" that they were more concerned with the funeral of Michael Brown than the former PM of our closest ally?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to defend folks who present their facts and their sources, and who have a history of being right.  Until evidence to the contrary is presented, I see no reason to distrust them.

You've pointed out examples of what you're talking about, so that's good.  Let's look through them.

Fifty-Seven States
Verdict: Mixture.  
TRUE: Barack Obama said he had visited 57 states.
FALSE: Barack Obama's statement was a reference to 57 Islamic states.

I don't see what's wrong here.  It's not like "Did Obama say 57 states" was very disputed.  He did. It was on camera and repeated everywhere.  At the same time, there was also a rumor about some silly Islamic States connection.  Which they debunked.  Would you rather they have two separate pages to address each claim individually?  Because if that's how it was done, I honestly would not reasonably expect the "57 states" issue to have a page at all, which would just be something else that folks would complain about.  

Bill Ayers
They address the whole claim instead of simply saying "Yep, he knew Ayers".  More accurate information is bad now?

Thatcher Funeral
"The Obama administration sent an official delegation to Hugo Chavez's funeral but "snubbed" the funeral of former UK prime minister Margaret Thatcher. "
Verdict: Mixed
TRUE: The U.S. sent an official delegation to Hugo Chávez's funeral.
FALSE: The U.S. sent no official delegation to Margaret Thatcher's funeral.
TRUE: The U.S. delegation to Margaret Thatcher's funeral included no current Democratic officeholders or major cabinet members.

It seems "snubbing" is a pretty subjective adjective.  Cameron doesn't seem to think Obama snubbed the funeral, after all.  Whether you agree or disagree is up to you.  Reading that article, Snopes gives enough information for you to make that subjective call on your own, using objective information.

So after those 3, not really seeing a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I didn't read it in detail, but the way they spun what the Wookie said about comparing illegal aliens and TJ, GW and other founders was pretty obviously biased.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

Are you talking about this one?

Where's the bias in correcting a false claim about words stated on record and easily verified?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems like they try to print the truth for now
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
They back up their claims with references. Looks to me 99% of the time they are spot on

I've only seen a few iffy or open to interpretation, and all of them were political, which isn't always a black and white answer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS.

The amount to which they "looked the other way" regarding Obama and (potential, future) gun control was huge and obvious.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So after those 3, not really seeing a problem.
View Quote

What a surprise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Where's the bias in correcting a false claim about words stated on record and easily verified?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

If you don't think that page is full of spin and Obama apologetics, I don't know what to tell ya.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Arf is full of claptrap conspiracy nuts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep.  Stuff like:

Q:  Did Obama say he wanted to shut down the coal industry?

FALSE!  He never said that.

(he just said that consumer costs would "necessarily skyrocket" under his energy policy, making it uneconomical to consumers and enacting a defacto ban)

"That's not what I really said."

They do the same thing in reverse for Rs and libertarians.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top