Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
OP should make a poll. I need a new string trimmer because my Stihl is a pos and has been since the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The ACE hardware in Mukwonago has a nice selection of Stihl. I got my FS130 there and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys are going to laugh at me but I'm on my 11th season with my Craftsman trimmer with blower and edger attachments.  I've abused the crap out of it.  I changed the air filter once, has the original spark plug.  I've left gas/oil mix in the tank over the winter.  Not sure what I'll get when it dies, probably a Husqvarna.  My mower, backpack blower and chainsaw are all Husqvarna and all have been reliable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Troy Built 4 cycle trimmer that I use on 3 acres around the house and the perimeter of a 4 acre pasture.  Runs great.  No oil/ fuel mixing.  Check the oil, replace the string and no issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shindaiwa T235. Steel shaft not cable. Owned by echo, same warranty.
View Quote
I just looked up this model.  Seems very nice, only thing is it would be and extra hour of drive time to get to the dealer.  Maybe it would be worth it over a Sthil.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The one my landscaper has been bringing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The engine on the ECHO SRM-225 is the same as the engine on the SRM-210 that is 15 years old.

Plastic housings and stickers changed on it.

"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005. Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an Echo trimmer and chainsaw. I have had both for more than 10 years without an issue .

Both start every time.

I would buy an Echo in a heartbeat.

10 years makes a huge difference.

I'd buy a 10yr old Echo saw or weed whacker and rehab the things, before buying a new Echo at half the price.
They have literally gone to shit with the new EPA mandates, and are way behind Stihl and Husqvarna in build quality as well as customer support these days.

Damn shame really.
The engine on the ECHO SRM-225 is the same as the engine on the SRM-210 that is 15 years old.

"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005. Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.

The new mandates requiring reduced NOx and other emissions didn't happen eh?

Stihl, Husqvarna and Redmax dumping hundreds of millions into stratospheric 2 cycle engine design and production was totally unnecessary?

The Catalyst in the muffler on the older design Echo 2 cycles, and the incorporation of compliant Shindaiwa designs on the newer models  is just for show?

OK...

It's just too bad all that money got wasted for nothing then.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy a commercial Honda and be done with it.

Laugh at your pitiful neighbors.
View Quote

This x1000, Honda HHT35, uses revalue gas with some Star-Tron to kill the ethanol, waaaay less vibration, noise, and smoke than a 2-stroke

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just looked up this model.  Seems very nice, only thing is it would be and extra hour of drive time to get to the dealer.  Maybe it would be worth it over a Sthil.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Echo is made by Shindawa
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Husqvarna 223L.

Three things here.
1: It is one of THE lightest trimmer you will find, yet will LAST!!! I sold these when I worked at Lowe's and while I normally don't put a whole lot of thought into user reviews, this particular trimmer has 385 reviews and 295 of them are 5 stars. To me, that says a lot.

2: The company started out as a firearms manufacturer. It's logo is an iron sight.

3: The model number is... yeah, 223.

But seriously, I sold tons of these and narily ever had any returned or heard bad things about them. I would sell this to my grandmother if she were still alive.

The Husqvarna 223L
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Stihl, Husqvarna and Redmax dumping hundreds of millions into stratospheric 2 cycle engine design and production was totally unnecessary?

The Catalyst in the muffler on the older design Echo 2 cycles, and the incorporation of compliant Shindaiwa designs on the newer models  is just for show?

OK...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd buy a 10yr old Echo saw or weed whacker and rehab the things, before buying a new Echo at half the price.

They have literally gone to shit with the new EPA mandates, and are way behind Stihl and Husqvarna in build quality as well as customer support these days.

Damn shame really.

OK...

Please re-read my post. As I said: '"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005.
Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only
affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.'

In 9 years there has been no changes to exhaust gas emissions...HC, CO, or NOx since Phase 3 regulations went into effect in 2005 for the hand held industry. CO2, CH4, and N20 are being reported, but not regulated. Yet.

Echo, Stihl, Husky, Shindaiwa have been using cats on conventional 2-strokes for 15+ years.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Echo is made by Shindawa
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Echo is made by Shindawa
Not correct.

ECHO and Shindaiwa's parent company's merged. ECHO's parent company was the larger of the two (Kioritz) and ECHO is still made by the same factories that previously made them. Some Shindaiwa products are now modified ECHO products to specs the Shindaiwa wanted. You would have been closer to say it the other way around.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up the Stihl FS 130 for clearing brush and thick weeds around our pond on our family's property (has the handlebars for helping clear small saplings).  Have not been able to get it to bog down in the weeds yet as another person already said.  As far as clearing brush and small saplings, it has exceeded my expectations.  With the metal brush blade on it I can easily take down 2" saplings, for larger saplings you may have to bump into the sapling twice to get it to fall.  For around the house I currently have a midgrade troybilt trimmer.  After using the stihl I will probably end up selling the troybilt and getting a  smaller Stihl with a loop for around the house.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
No matter what the landscape guys use around here they all get gas with no etoh to put in their equipment. edit
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Run 100 low lead, no etoh
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
---------------Update--------------------------

Stopped by the local Stihl dealer, I decided the FS 50 C-E is probably the best choice for me.  Dealer told me the $199 DSRP is the set price from the manufacturer, but it feels like I am paying suggested retail price on something.

Is he blowing smoke, or is that the non-negotiable price of the machine?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not correct.

ECHO and Shindaiwa's parent company's merged. ECHO's parent company was the larger of the two (Kioritz) and ECHO is still made by the same factories that previously made them. Some Shindaiwa products are now modified ECHO products to specs the Shindaiwa wanted. You would have been closer to say it the other way around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Echo is made by Shindawa
Not correct.

Meh, I was in the ball park
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]
bump for night crawlers
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stopped by the local Stihl dealer, I decided the FS 50 C-E is probably the best choice for me.  Dealer told me the $199 DSRP is the set price from the manufacturer, but it feels like I am paying suggested retail price on something.Is he blowing smoke, or is that the non-negotiable price of the machine?

View Quote

I've never seen a price other than what is on the stihl tag.  No sales, 25% off labor dy weekend, etc. Just "we know we're awesome, but it when you're ready."

Google shows the same price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Brother-in-law worked as a mechanic for a John Deere dealership.  They sold Stihl. I know that Stihl was pretty strict about the happenings with their product at the business. I would think that the prices are regulated by the manufacturer.

I still think the Husqvarna 223L is the way to go, but I am a little biased.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stopped by the local Stihl dealer, I decided the FS 50 C-E is probably the best choice for me.  Dealer told me the $199 DSRP is the set price from the manufacturer, but it feels like I am paying suggested retail price on something.Is he blowing smoke, or is that the non-negotiable price of the machine?

View Quote

Stihl Dealers don't have much wiggle room on price. Price is not set in stone, but the dealer would be cutting his own throat if he moved more than 10 bucks.
If you have a dealer that you frequent weekly, sometimes they will sell at cost and it's eye opening. They aren't gouging at suggested retail on saws, blowers and strimmers.

Generally, they will toss in some trinkets rather than drop the price. The margins on accessorys are much higher, and is where they actually can make some $$.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a  husqvarna, starts on first or second pull every time, plenty of 2 stroke power for my purposes. no complaints.

Eta husqy 128LD
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Please re-read my post. As I said: '"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005. Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.'

In 9 years there has been no changes to exhaust gas emissions...HC, CO, or NOx since Phase 3 regulations went into effect in 2005 for the hand held industry. CO2, CH4, and N20 are being reported, but not regulated. Yet.

Echo, Stihl, Husky, Shindaiwa have been using cats on conventional 2-strokes for 15+ years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn shame really.

OK...

Please re-read my post. As I said: '"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005. Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.'

I dunno where you get your fractured information from, but it's bullshit.

2008 was the date of the new Regs on OPE emissions, and final phase in was 2011.

One of the reasons Shindaiwa was picked up by Kioritz/Echo, was the stratospheric engine designs held by Shinny, and Echo having nothing but the Cat muffler to keep it's older designs compliant prior to 2011.
They both had to do something in order to keep afloat. The craptastic Cat on the muffler Echo was using, and still stupidly uses, lowers emissions of units sold on a percentage of total units, which keeps them from having to pull the older designs from the line up. It's a grabasstic temp. fix to remain compliant.

Stihl aquired thier Strato design from Deere, that owned Homelites design around 05' IIRC and they convinced the EPA that emissions could be reduced, rather than flat out banning 2 cycles.
Politics of the matter were heavy, and still getting ugly.
Stihl already had their 4-mix design in the pipeline for the anticipated emissions regulations that would essentially ban 2 cycles, and is still leaning on it in many applications.

Husqvarna and their X-torque Strato was a direct response to the anticipated emissions regulation and eventual phase in, in 2011.

EMISSIONS were the target of the 08' regs. and phase in was 2011.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/a883dc3da7094f97852572a00065d7d8/5ea39929f1ac1c42852574ba005c95ec!OpenDocument

If you wish to insist that emissions regulation phase in, in 2011, never happened, I dunno what to tell you.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a four stroke, screw mixing oil in the gas.  My Craftsman is awesome.  Starts fast and easy and after checking out mine two of my friends bought there own.

Whats with the guy getting 11 years out of his Craftsman and considering switching brands?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a four stroke, screw mixing oil in the gas.  My Craftsman is awesome.  Starts fast and easy and after checking out mine two of my friends bought there own.

Whats with the guy getting 11 years out of his Craftsman and considering switching brands?
View Quote

Two problems with Craftsman and the "4 Stroke"

First, they are made by MTD and you can buy the same thing from Lowe's or any other big box retailer. It is just relabeled. The new ones are junk. My FIL went through three of them, all being replaced for free, by Sears. While yeah, they replaced them, he shouldn't have had to deal with that in the first place. If you take one back to Lowe's (Troy-Bilt branded but EXACT same model), they throw them away. I am not lying.

Second, the 4-Stroke is heavier. If you are doing smaller yards or using other attachments, this may be beneficial. But at a lower RPM than 2-Cycle and 1-3 lbs heavier, they aren't the best string trimmer.  I know for a fact that some of the MTD 4-Strokes had a ton of issues with the oil leaking out and into the cylinders as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys are going to laugh at me but I'm on my 11th season with my Craftsman trimmer with blower and edger attachments.  I've abused the crap out of it.  I changed the air filter once, has the original spark plug.  I've left gas/oil mix in the tank over the winter.  Not sure what I'll get when it dies, probably a Husqvarna.  My mower, backpack blower and chainsaw are all Husqvarna and all have been reliable.
View Quote

Not me.
My old Craftsman bought in the 80s was outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A checkbook and a telephone.

I don't even know where my trimmer is. And I don't care.
View Quote

Like a baws
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Stihl Dealers don't have much wiggle room on price. Price is not set in stone, but the dealer would be cutting his own throat if he moved more than 10 bucks.

If you have a dealer that you frequent weekly, sometimes they will sell at cost and it's eye opening. They aren't gouging at suggested retail on saws, blowers and strimmers.

Generally, they will toss in some trinkets rather than drop the price. The margins on accessorys are much higher, and is where they actually can make some $$.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know.  After checking online the prices seem to be in line with what you said.  I will probably bring home a stihl after work today.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

2008 was the date of the new Regs on OPE emissions, and final phase in was 2011.

One of the reasons Shindaiwa was picked up by Kioritz/Echo, was the stratospheric engine designs held by Shinny, and Echo having nothing but the Cat muffler to keep it's older designs compliant prior to 2011.

They both had to do something in order to keep afloat. The craptastic Cat on the muffler Echo was using, and still stupidly uses, lowers emissions of units sold on a percentage of total units, which keeps them from having to pull the older designs from the line up. It's a grabasstic temp. fix to remain compliant.

Stihl aquired thier Strato design from Deere, that owned Homelites design around 05' IIRC and they convinced the EPA that emissions could be reduced, rather than flat out banning 2 cycles.

Stihl already had their 4-mix design in the pipeline for the anticipated emissions regulations that would essentially ban 2 cycles, and is still leaning on it in many applications.

Husqvarna and their X-torque Strato was a direct response to the anticipated emissions regulation and eventual phase in, in 2011.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/a883dc3da7094f97852572a00065d7d8/5ea39929f1ac1c42852574ba005c95ec!OpenDocument

If you wish to insist that emissions regulation phase in, in 2011, never happened, I dunno what to tell you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn shame really.

OK...

The info you linked is not for handheld product which we are talking about here. Class IV (<50cc) hit it's limit in 2005. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/standards/nonroad/smallsi-exhaust.htm Your link is for watercraft and non-handheld engines <25 HP. That does not include handheld products at all.

Funny that you think that ECHO aquired Shindaiwa for stratified charge, since Shindaiwa didn't sell stratified charged in the US (nor anywhere else that I am aware of), and Echo already was before the merger. The only thing that Shindaiwa would have brought to the table is the C4 (now Hybrid 4) engine, which ECHO doesn't use in their lineup at all, and Shindaiwa is using less and less. Stihl copied this engine and modified it to get around patents to produce the 4-Mix. You don't think that Stihl isn't using ABT for their line-up using this very low emission engine???!!! Husky's strato was acquired through their buying of Red Max.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP. S-28, If you would like to continue this, you are more than welcome to IM me.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]
My Echo SRM 1500 is over 20 years old, has never been in the shop and still kicks ass. I just bought another Echo line trimmer for my lake place last weekend from a mom and pop outfit.

My secret to longevity on all my 2-strokes is this stuff.

All 4 outboards, my little Honda EX350 genny, chainsaws, line trimmers, blowers and hedge trimmers get a treatment every 50 hours or so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good to know.  After checking online the prices seem to be in line with what you said.  I will probably bring home a stihl after work today.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, you should consider stepping up to the straight shaft. I'm not sure how much more it is, but the FS 56 has a straight shaft. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two Ryobi 4 stroke straight shaft "Brush Cutter" trimmers. (820R models if I remember correctly) I bought them in '94, and use them regularly.
The only maintenance they have needed is replacing the fuel lines and primer bulbs due to the ethanol eating them. And I've only done that once on each machine.

I change the oil at the beginning of each season, and refill the string as needed. They just wont die.
I went through several of the electric, and two stroke models prior to buying these. They just wouldn't hold up.

I like the torque the 4 stroke engine gives me. It powers right through the tough stuff.
My trimmers came with a metal brush cutting blade, but I've never had to use them. The string works just fine.

Bottom line is this....Don't go cheap. Get a quality unit. It will last you many years. I couldn't be happier with mine.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
OP, you should consider stepping up to the straight shaft. I'm not sure how much more it is, but the FS 56 has a straight shaft. Buy once, cry once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the model numbers mixed up. I am getting the 56 straight shaft model.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an Echo trimmer and chainsaw. I have had both for more than 10 years without an issue .

Both start every time.

I would buy an Echo in a heartbeat.

Damn shame really.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got my eye set on a slightly bigger one (I have a lot of heavy scrub to clear out), but I'm curious to hear your impressions after you get it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got 10% off list on both my Stihl chainsaws at Southern States and they're doing the same for me on the FS 90 I'm buying next week.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110528230526/fallout/images/3/3f/Vault-boy-fallout3-thumbs-up.jpg

I've got my eye set on a slightly bigger one (I have a lot of heavy scrub to clear out), but I'm curious to hear your impressions after you get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110528230526/fallout/images/3/3f/Vault-boy-fallout3-thumbs-up.jpg

I will update when I get my first impression.  Originally I was going for the FS 70 or fs 90, But that Was When I thought I Was Going To Be Able to Buy the pole saw and tiller attachments.  I have decided that won't be necessary.

I have tall grass, some heavy weeds and thistles,  and regular trimming to do.  If I need to trim a tree I will rent a pole saw or brush cutter separately.  The extra $150 to upgrade to the commercial units seems like it won't benefit me as much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I got 10% of list on both my Stihl chainsaws at Southern States and they're doing the same for me on the FS 90 I'm buying next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got 10% of list on both my Stihl chainsaws at Southern States and they're doing the same for me on the FS 90 I'm buying next week.
Sounds like you are more of a regular customer.   I think I will just pay the $200 instead of trying to bargain for 10 or 20 dollars.  If they tell me to pound sand then I will spend that in gas money searching for the next closest dealer anyways.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are more of a regular customer.   I think I will just pay the $200 instead of trying to bargain for 10 or 20 dollars.  If they tell me to pound sand then I will spend that in gas money searching for the next closest dealer anyways.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they offer you a warranty extension by simply buying and using the Stihl brand mix oil, do eet. You're gonna need the stuff anyway and who doesn't want an extra year (or whatever it was) warranty. I got that deal with my chainsaw when I bought it. Never needed it, but I did need the oil!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I would recommend a straihgt shaft was well. I have an Echo Curved shaft and when I use it to edge the curb it dumps fuel, the Straight shafts do not have this problem.

I started using premix gas in my ssaw and trimmer based on the amount I use and frequency, by the time I buy the fuel, mix, stabil and have it sit. I can and buy a Qt of the premix and not worry. Starts everytime.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#41]

--------------------------------------------------UPDATE 2----------------------------------------------

I got the FS 56 RC, the 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty to 4 years, and a 8 tooth grass blade for $250 with tax.  I stayed under my $300 limit and I am glad I got this model.

I didn't really have time to do much trimming yesterday, but I was able to take it out in the tall grass and do a small amount of trimming.

Both the Auto feed string head and the 8 tooth blade worked very well at taking out some tall grass and weeds.  It feels like it has plenty of power and there was very low vibration to boot. I am glad I got this model as I said before, I don't think upgrading to the FS 70 or 90 would have benefited me.  I am sure this will work great on my 5 acres.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I knew you could find something at a local dealer as opposed to driving across the state looking for brand x or y

If you keep some stabil in the fuel, you should have little issue keeping it running well with basic maintenance

I found that once you do an initial clearing with the blade you might be able to maintain the land with using Oregon brand gator line with the braided core

You should be happy with the lighter weight machine you got...no need lugging around as FS130 if you don't need the HP
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#43]
You have chosen.... wisely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I got the same one you have. its a champ.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top