One should always be prepped even if it's just a month with of food

Your post is spot on!

Water
Good first aid kit
Good flashlight
Toilet paper
Extra clothing
And.......Mags & Ammo!

I think that's the standard. 3 weeks prep just like for a hurricane (Red Cross recommendation). You start crossing the line in the eyes of some thereafter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This one time at FEMA camp...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FEMA camp is real.

This one time at FEMA camp...

ohhhhh, it will happen alot more then once
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on the local CERT team.  Building resilient communities has been a Federal Gov't pseudo priority since 9/11 - fair amount of Fed Money being tossed at it.  I've always stocked extra food - holdover from my Grandfather who lived through the depression, ww2, Cuban Missile Crises, etc.  When we moved my grandparents out of their home about 15 years ago, there were some 20 year old cans of beans, meat, etc.  This is not new, its not new for the Gov't - Civil Defense was a big deal in the 50's and 60's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.ready.gov/september

My wife's been saying that they are doing a lot of emergency drills at the hospital lately -- and the other day speculated that someone "thinks something is coming."

Have there been previous "September is prepper month" notifications?

Yellowstone?   Asteroid?  Terrorism?

Seems weird to me.
View Quote

People have been thinking "something is coming" for centuries. Heck, just talk a walk over to the Survival Discussions forum and you will see numerous threads on the subject. Just before Obama was elected to his first term there were countless Arfcom members predicting America would collapse before the end of the first term. Guess what? It didn't happen. Then they predicted America would collapse before Obama's second term ended. Doubt that will happen.

Some SHTF scenarios are a guarantee like a moderate to major earthquake hitting the west coast or a hurricane making landfall in the east. But EOTWAWKI scenarios, like a comet strike or collapse of America, are about as likely as me hooking up with Jennifer Lawrence.  

I bet if we could go back in time there were probably Romans that ranted and raved over the centuries that the Roman Empire would collapse before the end of their lifetime. Since the Roman Empire lasted almost 1,500 years (if you include east and western empires) only the people predicting its demise in the last 100 years were even remotely close.

Edited to add: I'm not arguing that preppers are idiots, and that no one should prep. On the contrary I think having some measure of preps is important for realistic SHTF scenarios in your area/life. But IMO spending thousands and thousands of dollars to have enough preps to survive things that are unlikely to ever happen, like the zombieapocalypse or collapse of America, is just stupid IMO. But hey, its their money so they can do with it whatever the like.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ready.gov has always been a bit of an oxymoron.

The feds say "be prepared" while calling people who are "prepared" domestic terrorists or right-wing militia whack jobs.
View Quote

I think they draw the line at being armed. Unarmed and prepared, defenseless and willing to hand anything and everything over is what they want. Armed and prepared is when you become a domestic terrorist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nope..it is because of the cool free SWAG Sticker with every ten pack...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My unit just got 3000 FEMA coffins.

What makes them special FEMA coffins?
Are they stamped FEMA?
Are they for FEMA agents?
Are they for FEMA camp residents?
Do they stack efficiently on trains?

Nope..it is because of the cool free SWAG Sticker with every ten pack...

Like DSG Arms? Sweeeet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just remember the Government's idea of preparedness, and events to plan around, might not line up with your plans/goals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ready.gov/september

My wife's been saying that they are doing a lot of emergency drills at the hospital lately -- and the other day speculated that someone "thinks something is coming."

Have there been previous "September is prepper month" notifications?

Yellowstone?   Asteroid?  Terrorism?

Seems weird to me.

Just remember the Government's idea of preparedness, and events to plan around, might not line up with your plans/goals.

Government wants you to have some extra food and water and such, but they never mention guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And millions of illegals will deport themselves, all we have to do is take down the "welcome" sign, and secure the fucking boarder.  Easy, and problem solved.

View Quote

It isn't hard to control the border, it is basically a matter of incentives.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think they draw the line at being armed. Unarmed and prepared, defenseless and willing to hand anything and everything over is what they want. Armed and prepared is when you become a domestic terrorist.
View Quote

They don't trust us with sharp objects.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[Some SHTF scenarios are a guarantee like a moderate to major earthquake hitting the west coast or a hurricane making landfall in the east. But EOTWAWKI scenarios, like a comet strike or collapse of America, are about as likely as me hooking up with Jennifer Lawrence.  

I bet if we could go back in time there were probably Romans that ranted and raved over the centuries that the Roman Empire would collapse before the end of their lifetime. Since the Roman Empire lasted almost 1,500 years (if you include east and western empires) only the people predicting its demise in the last 100 years were even remotely close.

Edited to add: I'm not arguing that preppers are idiots, and that no one should prep. On the contrary I think having some measure of preps is important for realistic SHTF scenarios in your area/life. But IMO spending thousands and thousands of dollars to have enough preps to survive things that are unlikely to ever happen, like the zombieapocalypse or collapse of America, is just stupid IMO. But hey, its their money so they can do with it whatever the like.
View Quote

Eh, not sure it is as unlikely as you think. Several times during the Cold War we came close. Even after the Cold War I understand that the Russians came close to pushing the button.

On another level, this country has a certain weakness. Our success is based upon rule of law, and that in turn is based upon culture. At some point our culture won't support rule of law, and at that point we will become a banana republic. When that happens we will no longer be the significant naval power, at which point the world will become much more dangerous and expensive (assuming there is no similar culture to replace us). Of course, standard prepping may not do much for you in such a situation.

The model for the above is the UK, which was the world's dominate naval power since at least 1805 until the 1940s. The UK decided to follow the welfare state path, and is now in such a state that her former greatness will not be regained in any foreseable future. The UK's failure wasn't a major problem because the US was more then able to pick up the slack. We have no one to pass the tradition on to, however.

The Obama administration and their intellectual supporters have already decided America was going to decline. They may be correct, and their policies are pushing decline even if they don't intend to. What they have failed to understand is the importance of American power. They think the world has become a better place because that's the natural way of things, the progress of history. Rather, the driving force has been Anglo-American capitalism and naval power.

The vacuum of American power will be filled by the likes of Russia, China, and ISIS, with more of the likes of Sammy pirates thrown in as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FEMA camp is real.
View Quote

I'm a FEMA camp counselor. Boy do we have some activities waiting for you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are they stamped FEMA?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they stamped FEMA?

And holes too!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
They want us to prep more so they can steal our shit when the SHTF. it's easier because we've been prepping for years and we are all over the place. Makes it easy for gov't agents and responders to clean us out as they move along instead of going to one central location. But, that's my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps the prepper industry lobby slid a sizable donation to the Obama camp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure that the Progressives are thrilled at the idea of dumb citizens stockpiling resources on their own dime, so that the government can come take them by force when they're most needed.  

That is why the smart citizens start by stockpiling guns and ammo.

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

In before FedDC and his D9'r.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wow, that sounds almost as practical and realistic as rounding up and deporting millions of illegal immigrants.

do you guys think even about this kind of shit before you post it?  

are you so obsessed with being a .gov victim is that you've lost any critical thinking capacity?

WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure that the Progressives are thrilled at the idea of dumb citizens stockpiling resources on their own dime, so that the government can come take them by force when they're most needed.  

wow, that sounds almost as practical and realistic as rounding up and deporting millions of illegal immigrants.

are you so obsessed with being a .gov victim is that you've lost any critical thinking capacity?

WTF?

Why are you even here?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

If that asscrack of a president could get away with it. He would do it in a heartbeat. He hates godfearing, hardworking freedom loving Americans more than ISIS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
From ready.gov/september:
Join our Thunderclap message on let your followers know that it’s National Preparedness Month with your followers. How does Thunderclap work? Once you sign up, Thunderclap will sync your social media accounts to release an automatic Facebook post, Tweet or both on September, 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM.
View Quote

There was a liberal-leaning SHTF movie last year (and fairly recently release on Netflix) called "Goodbye World" where the catastrophic event was the transmission of a text message to millions of devices simultaneously which somehow irreparably shut down data networks.

Coincidence? I think not...I guess we'll see in about 15 minutes!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why are you even here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Why are you even here?

Yes, because the defining trait of this board is to be a nonsensical moran, and we refuse to tolerate anyone who isn't!  Let's all wallow in filth and shun the non-believers!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There was a liberal-leaning SHTF movie last year (and fairly recently release on Netflix) called "Goodbye World" where the catastrophic event was the transmission of a text message to millions of devices simultaneously which somehow irreparably shut down data networks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Join our Thunderclap message on let your followers know that it’s National Preparedness Month with your followers. How does Thunderclap work? Once you sign up, Thunderclap will sync your social media accounts to release an automatic Facebook post, Tweet or both on September, 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM.

There have been several other left leaning SHTF movies. One is Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. I actually enjoyed it, it wasn't preachy leftist politics, but had a definite liberal leaning worldview.

The feds actually seem to be using the zombie thing as a "fun way" to prep. On TV there was some "expert" on the subject explaining you should use a crowbar for self defense, 'cause it won't run out of bullets. Really.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, because the defining trait of this board is to be a nonsensical moran, and we refuse to tolerate anyone who isn't!  Let's all wallow in filth and shun the non-believers!!!
View Quote

Are you saying  2minkey isn't a nonsensical moran?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Why are you even here?

perhaps i'm doing what little part i can to argue against the folks who keep helping democrats get elected by sounding like loons.

i want a more free-market government.

bizarro fantasies of oppression and assertions of "enemies, everywhere" do not help move toward that goal. they just undermine it.

but i guess that's what happens when we have so many folks informed by decontextualized internet gossip and myth. they need library cards.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
snip

View Quote

your mind is full of brain, which is a good first step

however you're lacking enough hate in your heart to achieve full tactical release
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
decontextualized
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm trying to hit three, myself...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One should always be prepped even if it's just a month with of food

I'm trying to hit three, myself...

Bad Lifer.... You should be WEARING at least 3 months worth
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

bizarro fantasies of oppression and assertions of "enemies, everywhere" do not help move toward that goal. they just undermine it.

but i guess that's what happens when we have so many folks informed by decontextualized internet gossip and myth. they need library cards.  

View Quote

Maybe the library at which you have borrowing privileges needs a better history section.

Betting against government oppression is never much of a long shot, historically.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The feds say "be prepared" while calling people who are "prepared" domestic terrorists or right-wing militia whack jobs.
View Quote

The .gov's idea of "preparedness":

- a few gallons of water
- a Rite Aid first aid kit
- some canned goods... enough to last until they can saaaaave you.

And no guns, for the love of God.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Why are you even here?

There is creative criticism, and then there is shitting on stuff.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a friend tell me Yellowstone is going to erupt in the next two years. But he smokes weed and takes pictures of chem trails so there's that. As far as prepping goes he's covered every base except fire arms, all he has is a twelve gauge. When I ask him why only a shotgun he says that's all he needs. He probably owns an HD copy of Army of Darkness.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, there is the thing of going from Republic to Empire, as well as the collapse in the West and later in the East. Rome collapsed over an extended time.

There were also a few near run things in its history.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
perhaps i'm doing what little part i can to argue against the folks who keep helping democrats get elected by sounding like loons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Why are you even here?

No, I think you are doing your little part to make yourself feel superior to us "nonsensical morans".

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, if the intent is really "to argue against the folks who keep helping democrats get elected by sounding like loons" there are much better ways to do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe the library at which you have borrowing privileges needs a better history section.

Betting against government oppression is never much of a long shot, historically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i doubt my library is inadequate.

historically you're not wrong, but it is really helpful to consider proximate historical context. people fought each other with sticks and blades for far longer than they have fought with firearms. should i conclude that the next war will be fought with sticks and blades?

in this case gov incompetence is far more likely to have negative effects than intentional gov oppression. one maintains a level of preparedness not because there are evil people in washington plotting to grind them into the earth, but because effectively no one will be coming to help anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Hasn't ready.gov been around since Bush the Younger?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, I think you are doing your little part to make yourself feel superior to us "nonsensical morans".

View Quote

LOL. of course that is what you think. enjoy your piss salad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, let me get this straight...

If we stockpile resources for emergencies we're dumb?

So then we shouldn't stockpile resources for an emergency??

I'm lost.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Did I miss the wife pics?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, if the intent is really "to argue against the folks who keep helping democrats get elected by sounding like loons" there are much better ways to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah i guess i need to brush up on "alinsky tactics" and how to be a better "statist."

"shitting on stuff" is simply an adaptation to the local language and custom.

or perhaps folks don't notice their own behavior here, where every day is about how anyone with even slightly different views on things is a fucking idiot, a communist, et cetera.

the arrogance here is profound and pervasive.

yet held up to a mirror it does not recognize itself.

smell yourself.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost.

I'm just questioning the motives behind a leftist administration, that basically has made "Depend on the government, not on your own dumb selves." it's core message, suddenly deciding that everyone needs to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yeah i guess i need to brush up on "alinsky tactics" and how to be a better "statist."
View Quote

That seems to be the case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

or perhaps folks don't notice their own behavior here, where every day is about how anyone with even slightly different views on things is a fucking idiot, a communist, et cetera.

smell yourself.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

smell yourself.  

You are a sad little man.  I hope you find happiness.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm just questioning the motives behind a leftist administration, that basically has made "Depend on the government, not on your own dumb selves." it's core message, suddenly deciding that everyone needs to get their shit together.
View Quote

Just keep in mind it's "get your shit together" for the emergencies we decide are emergencies and in the manner we decide. Prep "too much" or for the wrong thngs and you might be a domestic terrorist, not a wise citizen.

I don't think there's some nefarious plot afoot, this is general government boilerplate stuff aimed at the American Idol crowd. These are the folks who think an extra set of batteries *somewhere in the pantry* is "prepared".

ETA: If you look at the basic list at the link in the OP it's all stuff I'm betting we (A) all have (B) many of us carry in our vehicles and (C) likely carry many of the items on our person. It's stuff that likely most folks don't have in any amount, let alone categorized into kits. And frankly people having those items doesn't exactly equate to "having their shit together".  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the UN?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

thanks for the well wishes.

enjoy your comic books.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

enjoy your comic books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

enjoy your comic books.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FEMA camp is real.
View Quote

CORRECT
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think this is new stuff, really. Government has long had recomendations for minor prepping. What would be interesting would be if they suggested owning guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Interesting how they try to make it fun by suggesting a scenario that implicitly recommends firearms.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you notice the "be prepared" the .gov pushes is 72 hours worth of items to get your ass to a .gov refugee center or some such. And they have a real emphasis on making sure you have documents with you. Basically bug out so the looters have free reign

They do not exactly advocate 6 months of supplies to include ammo so you can defend what is yours.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top