Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't be a jerk or you'll be that neighbor.
View Quote

NO GO AHEAD DOOOOO IT !!!

ETA PG 2 smoky burnout ownership !
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are they displaying the universal sign of bad parenting?

http://www.rvparksupplies.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/KIDSATPLAYSLOWMAN330.jpg
View Quote

Wow, that would make a nice target holder for the range.

Poll sucks!  Move is not an option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
MYOB. Darwin will fix it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you ever think they might want them to get hit for a payout.
I would be nice to the parents and talk to them first., just bring it up in a conversation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Purposely drive agressive when you know for a fact their kids are inside. Do burnouts and shit. Go WOT all the time (assuming you have a fast and loud car). This will give them a message.

"PAYDAY IF WE SACRIFICE OUR CHILDREN"
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having seen a wreck with a 7 year old that ran out in front of a car because is ass-hat parents put more effort into opening Bud Light than parenting,

I would say go talk to them.

Don't do it for them

Don't do it for the kids

Do for the person who will have to go through life knowing that they greased a child, even when it wasn't their fault.
View Quote

Similar thing happened to me. Car in front of me ran into a little girl on a bike. I would feel fucking awful if that had been me driving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
We have the same situation on my street.  I drive very cautiously because I know we have children playing on the street.

Some of us weren't fortunate enough to grow up in houses with big yards so we played on the neighborhood streets.  This was sixty years ago.  The speed was 25 then too, the cars were larger and their brakes didn't work as well.  The fact of the matter is that every now and again a kid would get hit, not very many, but it did happen.

It's a sad day when kids can't play on the streets of their own neighborhood because some adults have decided it's too dangerous for them to do so.  Would this be "for the children" or "for Safety"?

And we can't figure out why we're raising a generation of couch potatoes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
It kinda depends on town population and traffic on the street. In the town I'm close to, population of around 300, I don't see it as a big deal. There may be ten cars that drive by my relative that lives there all day long. Any more populated place than that, you should get involved. I played in the street when I was younger but not that young. I was maybe ten or eleven. The age they're at, they aren't paying attention to the surroundings. My six year old barely does and not at all if shes playing in a group. Be the asshole op, its for the chillren. Or ban streets and cars and mopeds
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Leave a realistic mock-up of a squished child in the road in front of their house.

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/13317235/2/stock-photo-13317235-accident-girl-run-over-by-truck.jpg

View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You will not convince the heathens to move so you must convince mother/father to make them move.  Here is how:

Hire someone to drive by very slowly and take pictures of said heathens in front of mother.  Speed off.

Mother will remove said heathens from roadway voluntarily.

Another favorite: Signs in neighborhood - "Warning, coyotes in the area, beware!"

Mail them a letter from a concerned neighbor?  "Don't be on the news, get your kids out of the road before someone runs them over by accident."  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah, documenting won't do shit. This isn't his workplace and his boss giving him a hard time. It sure as fuck won't matter for the wrongful death lawsuit the parents would file. Running over a kid tends bring out emotions in people and "documenting" what was going on isn't going to cover your ass.

OP, either you and your family drive very carefully in the area and watch out for yourselves, or you talk to the neighbor but don't come across as lecturing him. Express concern as a father to a father and don't make it sound like the kids are inconveniencing others, but that they're at risk. Hopefully that would work, but you know them better than we do even if only slightly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The parents don't care. You bringing it up isn't going to make them care.

MYOB It's their kids, it's their cross.

If you *do* happen to be the one who runs over one of their unsupervised road hazards, make sure you have all of this documented so you can get your insurance to fix your car's body damage and to avoid arrest for criminal negligence.

Yeah, documenting won't do shit. This isn't his workplace and his boss giving him a hard time. It sure as fuck won't matter for the wrongful death lawsuit the parents would file. Running over a kid tends bring out emotions in people and "documenting" what was going on isn't going to cover your ass.

OP, either you and your family drive very carefully in the area and watch out for yourselves, or you talk to the neighbor but don't come across as lecturing him. Express concern as a father to a father and don't make it sound like the kids are inconveniencing others, but that they're at risk. Hopefully that would work, but you know them better than we do even if only slightly.
if anything, documenting it will prove he knew kids were typically playing in the street, and make things worse.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I would have a civil but firm heads up with the parents.  Tell them you are concerned that you want to mind your own business but don't need to have kid dodging be a new daily thing for you.

Give them a chance.  If it persists,  go ahead and drop a dime.  I don't take it lightly with kids involved.   Keep them fenced in or inside or god forbid supervised.  Usually people will rectify it.  If it is as bad as you indicated it will persist unchecked.  

I had a former neighbor who wasn't respecting my sleep.   I head nothing but a booming house with everyone's favorite racial slur and MF and bitch being blasted at an unignorable level.

I finally knocked on his door and looked him in the eye and said "I need sleep.  I'm tired of the cussing and blaring of your stereo.  Please turn it down".

He simply said "alright, sorry" and accomodated me with no further issue.  He was tatted up with dreads and cars but all it took was civil but emphatic.  He has since long moved away.  These people may simply be unaware it is affecting you.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I feel like researching some basic psychology studies may be able to guide you.

The key is finding a subtle, unpleasant action to apply when your drive is interrupted by them, and an equally subtle reward when they preemptively get out of your way.
View Quote

Chocolate?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
myob unless you just WANT a bad neighbor
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

no.

no cones, no sigs, no nothin.

I am going to take some pics and post them. They should be out this afternoon if it is not raining.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Put up security cameras all pointed at that neighbor.  Then start acting all creepy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

no.

I am going to take some pics and post them. They should be out this afternoon if it is not raining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no.

Mail and anonymous letter.  This is your best non-confrontational option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Wait till night time, sneak into their yard with Roundup and spray "Keep your kids outta the street" in the grass!! Message delivered!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Back in my day kids didn't play video games; we played in the streets. But parents who let kids play in the streets now are bad parents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in my day kids didn't play video games; we played in the streets. But parents who let kids play in the streets now are bad parents.

So when you were 4 years old your parents let you sit in the middle of the street with your toy truck?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]

That is generaly my rule of thumb. I really do not give a shit, the kids are their responsibility, where I come into play is I do not want me, the wife or my son hitting one of these kids, then it becomes my business.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Walk up one afternoon when they're out and say to the father (or the mother---it would be better if you talked to her):

Hey, I don't want to come across as a jerk or anything, but I'm a bit concerned about your kids.  People tend to drive too fast on this street and I've seen some close calls since I've been living here.  You're in charge, of course, but I just wanted to give you a heads-up that it might not be safe for them to be in the middle of the street at certain times of the day.

If you get a bad reaction, fuck it.  You did what you could.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't post much but I'm drunk and my work season is over so I can kick back and be a jerk.

OP, lots of advice here...... Don't listen to any of it. Here's what your gonna do..... LIE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Drive around the brats and give them the thumbs up sign. Rev your motor and ask the kids if they wanna race. Give the parents the thumbs up !

Next, go over and introduce yourself. Thank them for bringing independent youth back to your street. Shake their hands and hand out beers ! Tell them you TRY not to drive drunk but it's hard when so many of the neighbors are raging alcoholics.

And then tell them about the old couple who used to live in their house. The ones who's Grandkid got squashed flat. Or the couple down the street who's kid got run over by a delivery truck. Talk about the guy two blocks over who went to jail for running over 2 brats and two separate occasions. His nickname was leadfoot and he had the outline of two bigwheels stenciled on the driver door of his Mustang.

Don't forget about the time the cops chased a perp in a tandem dumptruck who wiped out 3 preteens congregating on the corner......... Killed em dead ! I phones and all !

That should do it !

You're welcome.....

View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Talk to him once, if it doesn't change "fuck it, you tired" and go on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, think about this for a minute please?

Welcome to the neighborhood, this is what the "majority" of the neighbors and passer by's think is "normal".

Don't be that guy, seriously.

ETA: You can either, get to know your neighbors or accept this is normal where you live.

View Quote

I live on a hill. Kids skate board down it all day long. I have no problem with that.

Neighbors live on the corner, the street they let their 4,5,6 year olds play in is much busier.

Somehow, and maybe it is just me, letting your 4,5,6 year old, who does not watch out for cars and get out of the way, and will ride right in front of your moving vehicle, play in the street is waiting to get your kids killed.

Like I said, except for the fact that I do not want to be the one that kills them I could not care less
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Call the local POPOs.  If no changes call DFAS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Thump...Thump......Damn, they must have installed speed bumps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It kinda depends on town population and traffic on the street. In the town I'm close to, population of around 300, I don't see it as a big deal. There may be ten cars that drive by my relative that lives there all day long. Any more populated place than that, you should get involved. I played in the street when I was younger but not that young. I was maybe ten or eleven. The age they're at, they aren't paying attention to the surroundings. My six year old barely does and not at all if shes playing in a group. Be the asshole op, its for the chillren. Or ban streets and cars and mopeds
View Quote

I estimate car traffic to be about 1 car every 2-3 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You will not convince the heathens to move so you must convince mother/father to make them move.  Here is how:

Hire someone to drive by very slowly and take pictures of said heathens in front of mother.  Speed off.

Mother will remove said heathens from roadway voluntarily.

Another favorite: Signs in neighborhood - "Warning, coyotes in the area, beware!"

Mail them a letter from a concerned neighbor?  "Don't be on the news, get your kids out of the road before someone runs them over by accident."  

View Quote

no coyote sign needed. Coyotes walk past there all the time, on the street around dusk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would have a civil but firm heads up with the parents.  Tell them you are concerned that you want to mind your own business but don't need to have kid dodging be a new daily thing for you.

Give them a chance.  If it persists,  go ahead and drop a dime.  I don't take it lightly with kids involved.   Keep them fenced in or inside or god forbid supervised.  Usually people will rectify it.  If it is as bad as you indicated it will persist unchecked.  

I had a former neighbor who wasn't respecting my sleep.   I head nothing but a booming house with everyone's favorite racial slur and MF and bitch being blasted at an unignorable level.

I finally knocked on his door and looked him in the eye and said "I need sleep.  I'm tired of the cussing and blaring of your stereo.  Please turn it down".

He simply said "alright, sorry" and accomodated me with no further issue.  He was tatted up with dreads and cars but all it took was civil but emphatic.  He has since long moved away.  These people may simply be unaware it is affecting you.

View Quote

I don't care about slowing down or even stopping.

I am concerned one of the kids will be killed by me or my family members. Other than that, I seriously do not care, they are not my responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Just talked to my better half.

She just told me one of the kids is 2 years old.

So chances are there will not be much damage to my car.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Talk to the father, if he doesn't pay attention get a dash cam and call CPS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#32]
film now,

talk to parents,

honk loud as shit until they learn

if they continue, call cps
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

move is scheduled for July 2015.

Right now we are deciding whether to buy the new house first the sell the current one or try to make it simultaneous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Well after 3 cups of coffee this morning and talking to wife, ( if you want pics, go to BOTD, been there a while )who also thinks these kids will be hit by a car, I have decided to MMOB.

If the parents can not clearly see the risk to letting their 2,4, 6 year olds play in the street with the parent about 150 feet off the street, then anything I say will not make any difference. We will just make sure we are not the ones that hit their kids.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Train horns?

I would not want to be THE one that finally whacks one of the little ankle biters.

Drive right up to them and give them a blast. I bet that shit stops quick.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#36]
honk your horn and cuss at the kids every time you drive by, flick off the fucktard parents too
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I would at least bring it to their attention

If the parents are as stupid as they seem & if one does get hit by a car, tell the police they were warned & did nothing

child services people would then get involved
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#39]
MYOB. And be very cautious when operating your vehicle nearby. One or two may have to get squished before he figures it out. Darwin and such.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#41]
We had a couple of kids probably in the five and six year old range who rode their bikes up and down the street. They would come off the sidewalk and pop out between parked cars and all kinds of dangerous stuff.  What my wife did after having to brake a few times was stop and talk to the kids.  She just told them she couldn't see them and she was worried about their safety.  The kids actually stopped riding around the part of the street where we lived.  ymmv
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Call the PD and ask for extra patrols in the neighborhood.  Maybe if they see the kids playing in the street it will stop.  Some neighbors did that a few years ago here.  Kids were riding their ATV in the street.  They did not want to go on record complaining about the ATV for fear of retribution.  So they asked for extra patrols in reference to other issues.  The deputies just happened to be making their rounds when the kids zipped out on the road earning them a stern warning.  It stopped.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Buy 10 Hershey chocolate bars and place them in the street in the early morning. (Pre-melted and Unwrapped). Watching their kids eat melted chocolate off the pavement may make them rethink their play area. Place a squished rabbit or some squished dog crap in the street may work as an alternative.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#44]
You must live in my neighborhood.  
I've decided the parents are stupid and are to blame, and have said nothing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's what us old folks mean by playing in the street when we were kids.

Funny how we forget that huh?

ETA: I understand the way you feel, but something tells me your street is residential with hardly any traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's what us old folks mean by playing in the street when we were kids.

Funny how we forget that huh?

ETA: I understand the way you feel, but something tells me your street is residential with hardly any traffic.

Because as kids we had enough fucking sense to get out of the road when cars were going by?

Quoted:

Train horns?

I would not want to be THE one that finally whacks one of the little ankle biters.

Drive right up to them and give them a blast. I bet that shit stops quick.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/LeslieS5T.jpg

Seriously though, if the rugrats are running in front of you without a care in the world, a horn is a good thing to have.  Doesn't really have to be an airhorn but... enough to wake the kids up to danger.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Next time the kids are playing in the street and you need to get by, drive around them over the neighbor's lawn.
View Quote

Winner
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Document first with pictures and video.. Stop you car.  Snap a shot with them in the street.
I'd let the parents know anonymously they need to fix the situation.
If it doesn't improve then call social services.
Talking to them nice, just puts you on their "list" and as neighbors you don't want the drama.

Could you live with yourself if one got hot, or god forbid you hit one?  At least if you've tried some logical steps the parents and the system will fail to,protect them not you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Document first with pictures and video.. Stop you car.  Snap a shot with them in the street.
Talking to them nice, just puts you on their "list" and as neighbors you don't want the drama.

Could you live with yourself if one got hot, or god forbid you hit one?  At least if you've tried some logical steps the parents and the system will fail to,protect them not you.
View Quote

Sorry, but like someone mentioned above, I can only see this hurting any legal fight if the OP was to actually hit a kid. If anything, as wrong as it is, it shows you knew the fuckers were playing in the street, and that you should have been more vigilant about them playing on public property in a dangerous area where multi-ton vehicles can pass through with hindered visibility Stupid thats how shits gotta be
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry, but like someone mentioned above, I can only see this hurting any legnal fight if the OP was to actually hit a kid. If anything, as wrong as it is, it shows you knew the fuckers were playing in the street, and that you should have been more vigilant about them playing on public property in a dangerous area where multi-ton vehicles can pass through with hindered visibility Stupid thats how shits gotta be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but like someone mentioned above, I can only see this hurting any legnal fight if the OP was to actually hit a kid. If anything, as wrong as it is, it shows you knew the fuckers were playing in the street, and that you should have been more vigilant about them playing on public property in a dangerous area where multi-ton vehicles can pass through with hindered visibility Stupid thats how shits gotta be

Are you an attorney, because I don't think that is how it would go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Tell him "people drive like assholes in this neighborhood.  Your kids are gonna get hit one of these days."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top