Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2014 10:00:50 PM EDT
Both are similar in size and price.

Looks like the Primo comes with stainless grates, but the BGE appears to have better ceramic.
I do like the place setter of the BGE, although I've read that the Primo takes the same accessories?

Not sure.

Does anyone have experience with both or either?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a large BGE for 3 years and love it. I had to replace the gasket this year but that is the only problem. I use it 2 to 3 times a week for low and slow cooking and also at over 500 degrees. It still looks new and will probably be the only grill I have for the rest of my life. Mine came with the stainless cooking grill. I know nothing of the Primo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm debating the same thing myself, though leaning strongly towards Primo:

1. Made in the USA is normally more expensive, in this case its less.  

2. One of my friends has a BGE and another has a Primo.  They sure seem about the same to me, if anything the BGE rusted out its hardware at about twice the rate.

3. The "authorized retailer" business with BGE annoys me.  You can buy a Primo off Amazon, and the local sale prices seem very aware of that. When you get right down to it, a grill is pretty damn simple its not like a car, or even a washing machine where I might need local dealer support.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2. One of my friends has a BGE and another has a Primo.  They sure seem about the same to me, if anything the BGE rusted out its hardware at about twice the rate.

3. The "authorized retailer" business with BGE annoys me.  You can buy a Primo off Amazon, and the local sale prices seem very aware of that. When you get right down to it, a grill is pretty damn simple its not like a car, or even a washing machine where I might need local dealer support.
View Quote

I read on some other website that the BGE is made in Mexico due to EPA regulations restricting them from firing the ceramic to the temp they want.

Don't know if there's any truth to it, but it sounds plausible.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Between Primo and BGE, it's kind of a wash... The Primo has a larger more useful size with the Oval series, but the BGE honestly has better support IMO. Ability to get replacement fireboxes shipped to your distributor? Nice. Doing so from Primo means like $40 in shipping.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Considered the Grill Dome?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I read on some other website that the BGE is made in Mexico due to EPA regulations restricting them from firing the ceramic to the temp they want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like bullshit to me, just on the grounds that I know of porcelain manufacturing that uses temps way higher that are in the U.S.  

Forgot to add: the attempt to connect the BGE to space shuttle tiles annoys the hell out of me.  It would almost be like polarfleece claiming that they use super NASA fibers since space blankets are made with PET plastic too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seems like bullshit to me, just on the grounds that I know of porcelain manufacturing that uses temps way higher that are in the U.S.  

Forgot to add: the attempt to connect the BGE to space shuttle tiles annoys the hell out of me.  It would almost be like polarfleece claiming that they use super NASA fibers since space blankets are made with PET plastic too.
View Quote

That's what I figured.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Lg BGE.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Meatloaf

Ribs

Winter Ops

Grilled chicken.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
BGE is more efficient on use of lump. Primo is made here in GA but can't go wrong with either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag. Trying to decide between the primo and bge as well
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I say Primo because it is what I have on the back deck.  They are made in Tucker, GA; not like the Mexican BGE. I will say that the BGE has the edge on add-ons (I use the plate setter). One thing that I like better about the BGE is the screen on the lower vent, I have no idea why Primo did not add this in to their design.

Pic of my Primo, on the table I built, at the beginning of Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014v1.0.

ETA: I'm kinda biased because of the GA connection AND I won my grill with $20 worth of raffle tickets at a hot wing and beer festival

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
There are so many different choices out there now it is really confusing for me.  I want one but am just afraid I will make an expensive mistake and not have what I really want or need.  One of these days I will bite the bullet and get one.  My wife loves my BBQ more than anything I have ever done except for bringing her fish home for dinner which probably runs a close second.  She does not mind me spending money on BBQ stuff or fishing stuff any longer
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I say Primo because it is what I have on the back deck.  They are made in Tucker, GA; not like the Mexican BGE. I will say that the BGE has the edge on add-ons (I use the plate setter). One thing that I like better about the BGE is the screen on the lower vent, I have no idea why Primo did not add this in to their design.

Pic of my Primo, on the table I built, at the beginning of Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014v1.0.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/mcarden1/Mobile%20Uploads/20140106_111812_zps5rbquvg8.jpg

ETA: I'm kinda biased because of the GA connection AND I won my grill with $20 worth of raffle tickets at a hot wing and beer festival

View Quote

Does the BGE plate setter work in the Primo?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Primo XL, bought American. The inner firebox liner just cracked a few weeks back. I need to contact them to see if covered by warranty.

mine is 3 or 4 years old and came with ceramic grates.

works great, my brother has the BGE, and his is great also.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/mcarden1/Mobile%20Uploads/20140106_111812_zps5rbquvg8.jpg

Primo Kamodo is roughly the same dimensions as Large BGE, so yes.  I'm not sure it would cover the space of the Oval primo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Primo Oval XL.  I like that it is made in the USA but I really do not think there is that much of a difference.  I will tell you that the only thing that I do not like is that I did not purchase one a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I just bought the Char Griller Akorn.  After spending several days looking at Ceramic smokers and finding almost nothing but 5 star reviews on this thing, for $300 I don't know how it could go wrong.  I turn out awesome smoked meats on my little 18 in Weber kettle with Smokenator and in my Masterbuilt electric.  I just cannot justify spending $2K  plus by the time all is said and done on a Primo or BGE    Be a few days before I can try this one out since I have a camping trip this weekend but I will post back results after I give it a try.  Seems very well built for what it is and I like the fact that it is no where near as heavy as the expensive ones because of my bad back, shoulder, and arm.  Even lifting the lid on the Primo is a bit of a painful struggle in my case now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I just bought the Char Griller Akorn.  After spending several days looking at Ceramic smokers and finding almost nothing but 5 star reviews on this thing, for $300 I don't know how it could go wrong.  I turn out awesome smoked meats on my little 18 in Weber kettle with Smokenator and in my Masterbuilt electric.  I just cannot justify spending $2K  plus by the time all is said and done on a Primo or BGE    Be a few days before I can try this one out since I have a camping trip this weekend but I will post back results after I give it a try.  Seems very well built for what it is and I like the fact that it is no where near as heavy as the expensive ones because of my bad back, shoulder, and arm.  Even lifting the lid on the Primo is a bit of a painful struggle in my case now.
View Quote
I did the same thing a year ago and still think I made the right choice.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to here.  I've seen good reports on here also.  Several hundred 5 star reviews with only 4 negative in the bunch convinced me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like BGE is coming out with a XXL size.

I’m looking at selling off my Traeger Lil tex elite to buy either a BGE XL or Primo XL.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
If I had to choose between the Primo XL or an XL BGE, I would go with the Primo as I think the Oval shape could be more convenient.

Also, I've owned both a large BGE and the Akorn, and functionally,  the Akorn is every bit of grill/smoker that the egg is.  It actually stays cooler to the touch than a ceramic grill.  

I used an infrared thermometer and there was a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I had to choose between the Primo XL or an XL BGE, I would go with the Primo as I think the Oval shape could be more convenient.

Also, I've owned both a large BGE and the Akorn, and functionally,  the Akorn is every bit of grill/smoker that the egg is.  It actually stays cooler to the touch than a ceramic grill.  

I used an infrared thermometer and there was a big difference.
View Quote

If you're going to spend that kind of money definitely get the oval (bigger is better).  It will give you different cooking options at the same time.  The round Kamado grills don't give that option.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found out I saved a lot more money by being able to use my original 18in Weber grill grate that I replaced with a hinged one to set down under the Akorn grate for use as a heat defuser-water pan holder!!!!    Sometimes you just have to love YouTube!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm currently testing my Akorn with Beef Short ribs using the BGE recipe off their site.  This thing held perfect 225 using the vent adjustments people on YouTube show and also 375 (second half of recipe) as soon as I figured out where to set them.  Never had beef ribs so I don't know what to expect but the grill is working perfect.  Also most report the thermometer being off but mine is spot on with the oven thermometer I have setting on the rack.  Mine is also an updated version with the steel top vent cap so that may be the difference after all the reports of the thermometers being way off.

Said ribs after the 2 hours direct heat smoking portion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top