Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2014 8:54:10 PM EDT
Apparently they started making the damn things with precious metals, because you need a Amex Black card to get a few for the kids
Seriously....I want to grab a big lot of the duplo blocks for my toddler, and even on ebay they are going for insane prices.
Anyone know of a good place to scoop these things up besides hitting garage sales on Saturday mornings all fall?

Can't even buy them as pieces these days....it's all sets, with totally unique esoteric pieces.

What kind of world is it when a man can't buy his kid some Legos without taking out a loan
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Legos have always been expensive. Heaven forbid you start looking at the prices of some old discontinued Star Wars sets on ebay...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
This post is full of fail.  

http://www.bricklink.com/

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I know, right.

I wasn't aware of how expensive they were until I had a kid...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Those duplos are crazy.

I am going to start stockpiling legos from garage sales though as my kid gets older.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I forget where it was, but within the past few weeks they busted a couple who were stealing Lego sets by the dozens and hocking them on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This post is full of fail.  

http://www.bricklink.com/

View Quote

Dude

Thank you!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Golden lego's?

YEP.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think they're expensive considering what you get.  The quality is fantastic.  My kids are using the Legos I used almost 40 years ago when I was their age.  They are completely interchangeable with new Legos.  Duplo works with them too.  I am 100% confident that my transmission will gerbils from them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think they're expensive considering what you get.  The quality is fantastic.  My kids are using the Legos I used almost 40 years ago when I was their age.  They are completely interchangeable with new Legos.  Duplo works with them too.  I am 100% confident that my transmission will gerbils from them.
View Quote

Wtf?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wtf?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Garage sales are the best way, or at least they used to be, to put together a bucket of lego pieces on the cheap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

wat?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Garage sales are the best way, or at least they used to be, to put together a bucket of lego pieces on the cheap.
View Quote

I would think Garage sales, Craig's List and Flea markets would have buckets of them for sale.  I have a ton from the early 1970's sitting in the family house attic that are probably completely compatible with the ones from today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Kre-o.

Lego compatible and they have cool lines like transformers.   Can find some of their sets at discount / closeout stores like Ollies.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So have neckbeards realized this yet?  I better keep an eye out for logos and I don't even have kids or a wife anymore
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that right?

I'm only about 95% confident myself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#17]
They're expensive because of the crazy tolerances and quality necessary to build them so each piece is completely interchangeable with each other piece.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am confident my grandchildren will get use from them.

Holy spell check, Batman!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
ask James May

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

OK... I LOLed for real. Hopefully this becomes a new arfmeme.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a bag of random blocks from my kid that probably weighs 10lbs. If the OP wants to pay shipping, it's his.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

https://i.imgflip.com/bpy0z.jpg

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Yard sales.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Yard sales or consignment. My kids have a lot of them and my mom got them for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Holy crap.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#28]
i have a huge tub of lego's im holding onto for when i have kids, glad i saved all mine too because they are pretty damn expensive. i would check garage sales, thrift stores etc
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

LOL I might just be slap happy from working for the last 14 hours straight, but I can't stop laughing
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]
This is what you need to do.

Go to ebay and look for "lego bulk" or "lego pounds" or the same with duplo.

Find some lots you like.  Bid on them.   This is most likely the cheapest you are going to get any significant number of legos.

I did this, got 25 lbs for around $200 including shipping.    That was ALOT of legos.   I mean ALOT ALOT.  (That is 2 alots in Caps, so that means a whole bunch, so don't do this unless you really like legos.)  

My kids would play with them all day, every day if I let them.

Of course you always have to augment the minifigs.  Yes, definitely don't forget minifigs, they definitely are a great addition.  Robin Hood sets, pirates, buccaneers, Armada, Knights, Jesters - the old sets are the best, but there are a whole new set of modern minifigs.  

ETA - don't buy bulk lego sets counted in "pieces"  1000 pieces isn't much when you count every small bitty piece.  Do it in pounds.  Thanks me later.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Legos have always been expensive. Heaven forbid you start looking at the prices of some old discontinued Star Wars sets on ebay...
View Quote

Ma Danby picked some Star Wars sets up at a garage sale the other day, for our grandson, our son who is a bit of a Legos nut, isn't happy about it.  He says if they were in the boxes, they be worth in to the hundreds of $$ she got them for $15>

We've bought them at yard sales before.  (Ma Danby is a Chillun's Librarian, and they have used bags of them for prizes. just run donated or purchased throught the dishwasher or washing machine a few times to clean them up.)

Yard Sales and Estates sales seem to be good sources, but the down side is going to the right sales.

There are Lego Stores where you can buy them in bulk or bag your own from bins.  Not cheap but better than the sets for specific builds.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So have neckbeards realized this yet?  I better keep an eye out for logos and I don't even have kids or a wife anymore
View Quote

I heard Abercrombie and Fitch was dropping it's logos.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]

the cheapest way is to be there when Dad steps on one barefooted and throws them all out the front door.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread has it all.

Sincerely,
Richard Gere
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Gerbils.

The only intelligible way to explain how an auto transmission works.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This thread has it all.

Sincerely,
Richard Gere
View Quote

BWAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd hate to think. My brother and I had them all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is that right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that right?

He's clearly violating the law of lego-transmission conservation, nobody gets 100% gerbils when transmitting legos.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am 100% confident that my transmission will gerbils from them.
View Quote

Someone needs to make this their sigline.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am 100% confident that my transmission will gerbils from them.

Done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#44]
$5k for the Millennium Falcon!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Joseph Goebbels used lego transmissions to power the Panzer Divisions.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I've got a bag of random blocks from my kid that probably weighs 10lbs. If the OP wants to pay shipping, it's his.
View Quote
If he doesn't, I will.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

DO IT OP!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#48]
In to learn how transmiisions will gerbil with legos

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

the cheapest way is to be there when Dad steps on one barefooted and throws them all out the front door.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I remember the Lionel train set that was on a 4x8 sheet that I  don't have any more......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top