User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First off, there is something to be said for assembling the car yourself, and thus being very capable of repairing it yourself.  Secondly, I grew up with carburetors and points, and have the expertise and tools to del with such.  The LAST thing I want is a computer-aided car.  Just a preference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious... why a kit car if you have a 40k  to spend? There are lots of options for factory cars with that kind of budget.

First off, there is something to be said for assembling the car yourself, and thus being very capable of repairing it yourself.  Secondly, I grew up with carburetors and points, and have the expertise and tools to del with such.  The LAST thing I want is a computer-aided car.  Just a preference.

And... A guy's gotta have a hobby.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious... why a kit car if you have a 40k  to spend? There are lots of options for factory cars with that kind of budget.

As an old school gear head, I appreciate this more than you know.

And as a gear head in general, I sincerely hope that somebody takes the time to show you what modern technology is capable of, and how easy it is. The aftermarket is a wonderful thing, and you're not beholden to any of the original factory constraints.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go Exocet with a base LSx.  You can make it as simple or complex as you want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or rebuilding something yourself. One of my favorite project vehicles has been my XJ. I've been working on it on and off since I was in high school. When the engine goes, I'm ready to either stroke the I6 or go to a 4 cylinder with turbo (mechanically controlled of course).

One big reason I love that XJ, no ABS. I don't mind computer control if I have control over the engine...but very few ecm's offer that ability. The affordable ones I know of can only control up to 4 cylinders.

Speaking of Willy's I may have found a lead on a '46.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for more input.
I'm done building airplanes.

I'm going for something a bit less expensive and the kit cars are what I'm looking at also....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're getting mightyclose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No antilock, no traction control, no power steering, basically raw and completely unsophisticated car.

All engine, car, driver.

Factory Five car with 350-450hp at 2400 pounds is a tempting treat.

You're getting mightyclose.

I personally love the 65 Daytona Coupe.

Best looking car ever in my opinion.

I have a 95 Cobra and 4.6 3v 05 GT.    If the 2015 5.0 doesnt impress me enough I want to go retro with the type 65(no smog even in Ca if built correct) or maybe sell the 05 and get a 2012-13 Coyote/Boss 302.

I have a Dart SHP block 331 with big cam and heads in the garage waiting to go in my 95 Cobra.   Part of me just wants to build the type 65 since I am already 10-12k along the way on engine alone.     Car kit and trans is about all I need at this point, 32k could get me done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
factory five is one of the best and most popular out there. seems like most of my customers who have them love them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've driven aggressively in the past.  Learned that Porsches will swap ends unless you drive them right.  I'm not unfamiliar with high-powered cars, but see no need for a cobra with 500+ HP in the nose when 300 HP is a better bet for me nowadays.  Just letting known my current limitations.  Just a SIMPLE, owner-serviced vehicle  No computers, unless ignition-only, and that is a stretch for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as sports cars go, I'd MUCH prefer a 289 engine cobra over a big block version of same.  Better balanced, and more fun to drive,  Better mileage, too.  No turbos, period.  Keep it simple and long-lasting.  I only have one shot at this this project, so nothing exotic or extremely expensive.

Well I have built two factory fives and have a 3rd ready for paint. The big block is just as balanced as the small block. I can fit a number of engine in mine. I was well invested into BB Chevys. there is enough adjustment in the suspension to get the same ratio F to B with anything I put in it.  They do not offer that option but they do fit just fine. I can tell you the kit is well ahead of the original 427s. I'm lucky enough to have driven originals on 2 occasions.

If I wanted something to last your lifetime I would go with either the mod motor Ford or the LS  GM motor. The very least would be an injected SB Ford 5.0. They last so much longer than the old school 289 and 302's

I've been thinking of building a fourth. It would be a small block or more than likely a 60 degree v-6 turbo for mileage. I would use it as a daily driver. I would also spring for the double loop behind the seats instead of the single.

Both the original and the kit will kill you. The original will kill you faster with less horsepower.  The car has its quirks and they will eat you up if you drive aggressively then chicken out in the middle of it.

I've driven aggressively in the past.  Learned that Porsches will swap ends unless you drive them right.  I'm not unfamiliar with high-powered cars, but see no need for a cobra with 500+ HP in the nose when 300 HP is a better bet for me nowadays.  Just letting known my current limitations.  Just a SIMPLE, owner-serviced vehicle  No computers, unless ignition-only, and that is a stretch for me.

Look at the type 65 then.   Its engine placement fixes much of that worry.   SBF seated WELL behind the front control arms helps a ton.    Rearward seating position will also give you an interesting perspective on oversteer.

Goddamn I wwnt to build one but am at least a year out.   Need to finish 95 and 05 first(blown 3v with heads/cams is planned on 3v).
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well I have built two factory fives and have a 3rd ready for paint. The big block is just as balanced as the small block. I can fit a number of engine in mine. I was well invested into BB Chevys. there is enough adjustment in the suspension to get the same ratio F to B with anything I put in it.  They do not offer that option but they do fit just fine. I can tell you the kit is well ahead of the original 427s. I'm lucky enough to have driven originals on 2 occasions.

If I wanted something to last your lifetime I would go with either the mod motor Ford or the LS  GM motor. The very least would be an injected SB Ford 5.0. They last so much longer than the old school 289 and 302's

I've been thinking of building a fourth. It would be a small block or more than likely a 60 degree v-6 turbo for mileage. I would use it as a daily driver. I would also spring for the double loop behind the seats instead of the single.

Both the original and the kit will kill you. The original will kill you faster with less horsepower.  The car has its quirks and they will eat you up if you drive aggressively then chicken out in the middle of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as sports cars go, I'd MUCH prefer a 289 engine cobra over a big block version of same.  Better balanced, and more fun to drive,  Better mileage, too.  No turbos, period.  Keep it simple and long-lasting.  I only have one shot at this this project, so nothing exotic or extremely expensive.

Wish I had you as a neighbor.

The little tricks that help pull off a good build are worth learning.    Little extra aluminum here for originality appearance, extra heat shielding there, tricks to headers/body mounting or finishing.

I am hoping to build a 25x35 garage this fall/winter.    It will be where the toys are kept until I can afford a kit, then it will become a super organised build shop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
OP,  I too have considered a kit car, and have been pointed to Factory Five by multiple people who have done Cobras, including those who have done Superformance.  Having said that, recently on Detroit Muscle, a complete cast of girls (well known in the auto industry) built one:  http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2014-13/427-cobra-replica-all-girls-build

Zach
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP,  I too have considered a kit car, and have been pointed to Factory Five by multiple people who have done Cobras, including those who have done Superformance.  Having said that, recently on Detroit Muscle, a complete cast of girls (well known in the auto industry) built one:  http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2014-13/427-cobra-replica-all-girls-build

Zach
View Quote

Search around...

It was either one of the power block or Car fix that did a comparison of all of Factory Fives cars.    The hotrod 34 or whatever it is actually was in some ways better handling than the cobra and daytona.     But I think it is because they had like 315/35/17 tires on the front...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Based on your requirements, I'd get a corvette.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Budget....that's pretty important.  I see it at $40k which really limits your options.

Right you are.  That's why no turbos, no big blocks, ant keeping it as simple as possible without sacrificing essential quality.  I don't need the big side pipes, when a simple dual exhaust will do.

Simple 300 HP driver's car with a (convertible) roof and side screen windows.  That's all I ask.

This, get an old string ray or something and build it up. You will come out on top in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
BTDT

Factory Five Racing FTW.

Built a Mk II Cobra and it was awesome. The biggest incentive wasn't just the great company, but the number of willing and friendly folks who are out there just waiting to answer your silly questions when you get stuck in the middle of the build.

Cheers,
SMS-ret
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
FFR 818.   Hardtop version within 6 months.

Race version:
http://youtu.be/LqF1lYwiMwA
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in 1974, when I first started reading car rags, I dreamed of this:

Bradley GT II

http://www.priceofhistoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/bradley1.jpg
View Quote

I remember the Bradley GT.

There was also a company called Kelmark, who produced a fiberglass body made to look like a Ferrari Dino, which fit on the ubiquitous VW Beetle chassis.  Then they came up with a tubular steel frame to replace the original VW floorpan.  They made it mid engine by turning a Corvair transaxle around, and making a hogshead adapter to mate a Chevy small block to it.  And, because it had first been designed around the VW, well, an enterprising fellow could drop a Bug body on the chassis, with that small block in the back seat.  Damn, I wanted to do that, talk about a sleeper.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Get one of the '32 ford body's and build this

It's insane in every since and that's why it must be built

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Budget....that's pretty important.  I see it at $40k which really limits your options.
View Quote

Not really..20k gets you a FF minus engine, drive train, tire and  wheel combo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/227D272F-9EFC-4F07-8D1F-8BA22F2386FD_zps8ydnloon.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/227D272F-9EFC-4F07-8D1F-8BA22F2386FD_zps8ydnloon.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/972EFD9F-B214-42E9-B572-7F8C3F292B9C_zps7qdgwd0b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/972EFD9F-B214-42E9-B572-7F8C3F292B9C_zps7qdgwd0b.jpg</a>
View Quote

That car scares me and gives me the weirdest boner at the same time.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes... Yes, it must. What's the story there? Whose concept? That's such an eclectic hybrid. I want. I want very badmuch. Someone should actually build one. Somebody who could do it right.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It's been ten years since I got to fondle and drool over a Superformance Cobra but the appearance, fit and finish impressed the hell out of me. Being a paint and body guy, the paint finish on this car was pretty damn amazing. The owner basically installed his engine and tranny into a completely assembled car. If I was ever going to do the kit car deal, I would look closely at one especially since I never seem to have enough time to build anything anymore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before buying my backdraft I looked in to doing an ffr.  For the build that I wanted, it would have been right around $60k and what I estimated to be roughly a year to finish it.  Or I could buy the backdraft, have it completed in 4 months, have great resale and a warranty, for a little bit more.

Ffr's can be a bit cheaper if you do a used donor build and do your own body and paint work.  For the most part, $40k gets you a meh build.  Which is, of course, perfectly fine for many.  But it is still a limiting factor and not just for building an ffr, but other kits end up running substantially more.  The Daytona coupe  ends up being a decent amount more than the cobra as a quick example.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes... Yes, it must. What's the story there? Whose concept? That's such an eclectic hybrid. I want. I want very badmuch. Someone should actually build one. Somebody who could do it right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checkout Beckkustom.com, guy is a designer for Weta Workshop. He has a blog dedicated to his '73 Kuda build, just a strait forward badass car in its own right.

The images are renders he did marring a 32 ford with a 90s F1 car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/227D272F-9EFC-4F07-8D1F-8BA22F2386FD_zps8ydnloon.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/227D272F-9EFC-4F07-8D1F-8BA22F2386FD_zps8ydnloon.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/972EFD9F-B214-42E9-B572-7F8C3F292B9C_zps7qdgwd0b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/972EFD9F-B214-42E9-B572-7F8C3F292B9C_zps7qdgwd0b.jpg</a>

I know right, is it gay if I stare at it longer than pics of Jennifer Lawrence?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Checkout Beckkustom.com, guy is a designer for Weta Workshop. He has a blog dedicated to his '73 Kuda build, just a strait forward badass car in its own right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's....beautiful.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#30]
If I had 40k to blow, I would find a rust free (or mostly rust free) basket case first gen Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang then add chassis & suspension goodies from companies like Art Morrison (I really want one of their Max G chassis for my '69 Firebird), Detroit Speed Inc, ect. Then upgrade the brakes with Baer or Wilwood, throw in a basic crate engine, a T56 trans, a Painless wiring harness if the original is trash, ect.

You might be pushing the budget if you go all out on the chassis stuff, but you'd have a real classic car that you will have built.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#32]

I came here for Night Rider pictures..... GD disappoints tonight.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This, get an old string ray or something and build it up. You will come out on top in the long run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is a pretty wise choice.

A C2 can be a beautiful, exciting car.  And in your price range for a driver.

I humbly offer this video...it works for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I had 40k to blow, I would find a rust free (or mostly rust free) basket case first gen Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang then add chassis & suspension goodies from companies like Art Morrison (I really want one of their Max G chassis for my '69 Firebird), Detroit Speed Inc, ect. Then upgrade the brakes with Baer or Wilwood, throw a basic crate engine, a T56 trans, a Painless wiring harness if the original is trash, ect.

You might be pushing the budget if you go all out on the chassis stuff, but you'd have a real classic car that you will have built.
View Quote

This exactly.  427 LS motor w/twin turbos, T56 magnum, and a full chassis in an F-body convertible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This exactly.  427 LS motor w/twin turbos, T56 magnum, and a full chassis in an F-body convertible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had 40k to blow, I would find a rust free (or mostly rust free) basket case first gen Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang then add chassis & suspension goodies from companies like Art Morrison (I really want one of their Max G chassis for my '69 Firebird), Detroit Speed Inc, ect. Then upgrade the brakes with Baer or Wilwood, throw a basic crate engine, a T56 trans, a Painless wiring harness if the original is trash, ect.

You all need to brush up on how much stuff costs.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Caterham! You can build from mild to wild with some minor changes...and those things are freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, that's why i said "basic crate engine". The Goodwrench 350 is rated at 260 HP and Jeg's has 'em for a hair over $1500 before shipping. Then just get a set of Vortec heads (have them machined for larger springs and converted to screw in studs), an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, a decent cam, and either a 600, 650, or 700 (depending on how much HP you're shooting for) Holley or Edelbrock carb, and you could easily get 350 HP for not much money (the OP said he'd be perfectly happy with 300 HP).
Chevy High Performance did a series of articles on this engine several years ago.
The first article in the series: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/46320-gm-350-crate-engine-build/
The article with the Vortec heads: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/46364-gm-350-crate-engine-build-iv/?cx_source=cxrecs&cx_navSource=related-bottom#cxrecs_s
Also, bear in mind that the pricing info in the article is old, and the prices have gone up.
And here's an article that goes into more detail about the Vortec heads. Lotta bang for the buck, especially when you machine it for bigger springs & convert it to screw in studs. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-0302-vortec-cylinder-heads/

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#39]
FF5 GTM.

Supercar for approximately $40,000.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FF5 GTM.

Supercar for approximately $40,000.
View Quote

Youre half way there on the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would get a Hawk.....replica of the Lancia Stratos if my finances allowed such toys.

View Quote

Too bad my dick hurts from the fapocolypse.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Factory 5
View Quote

yep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I have always been partial to the Porsche kit cars that are built on VW bug bases.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#44]

this, build a clone about 15 years ago from scratch. I've still got the firewall assy sitting in my garage
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Lotus 7
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Ultima GTR, a lot of riveting but so sweet
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good... whatever you do, post lots of pics.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
This is my kit Cobra, it is a B and B roadster.

It went together very nicely and is a solid product.

Here is another pic.

needs a little vacuuming in this pic

I love the car and it is a nice kit.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there really any reason to look elsewhere?

Factory 5
[im]http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13675&d=1353979069[/img]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top