Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 3:25:19 PM EDT
So my daughters Tundra is about 102k miles past the 90k timing belt change interval.

I know i know. Never had to deal with this crap before and saw another thread about it and figured I'd look into it.

Where might I get the best deal on the belt, gaskets, and WP?

So far looks to be about $250 or so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Dayco and Gates make kits, with the tensioners together, both engines come up as interference motors, crushed cylinder heads and valves.
Don't wait, do it. It's not a hard job, twin cam's need a holding tool. All are available for urchase or rent from a good Auto Parts store.
I'm a Independent supporter, no Auto Zone/PepBoys…. for me If that's the only choice, so be it. there are a few online parts houses now.
I also support Brick and Mortar locations.It's not the price it's the service after the fact.
Crank and cam seals are timely replacements, anything belt driven, might as well do it while it's apart.
Local Library's stock repair manuals, Auto Parts Stores May be able to print up procedures and torque specs.
There are also online downloads for manuals, Chiltons is the biggest in print. but I'm not really a fan
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You can handle it. Go down to carquest, then dig in. Aint no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife took her 05 Pt Looser to get a timing belt after it stalled (thankfully as soon as she pulled into the parking space).

$900 at a Dealership

I'm sure at least $800 of that was labor.....
Plus a $70 tow to get it to the dealership just a few miles away

She had 2 sensors go out on it a year later making it drive terrible. I did some research and found the sensors I needed. Fairly easy install.

Before I could order the 2 sensors ($50 shipped), she had already taken it to a dealership (different from above).
$500 fix
And yes, it was just the sensors that needed to be replaced...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Please buy AISIN timing belt kit. Top notch Japanese parts same quality as genuine Toyota parts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What engine?  I just did mine on a 3.4 in a 96 4Runner.  Not too bad, but the crank pulley bolt has to be torqued to 217 ftlbs.  Definitely use Aisin, I bought my kit off Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]

I have a 2006 Tundra. The kit I used also had a water pump. Makes sense - the water pump has to come off anyway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please buy AISIN timing belt kit. Top notch Japanese parts same quality as genuine Toyota parts.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a 2006 Tundra. The kit I used also had a water pump. Makes sense - the water pump has to come off anyway.
View Quote

Yep - Definitely worth doing at the same time.

Can't speak directly to the Tundra, but on some vehicles, replacing the belt tensionser is also a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No the WP does not have to come off anyway! But you are right there it is a good idea, and will save labor in the long run!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the Aisin TKT-021. Comes with the belt, WP, idler, hydraulic tensioner and WP gasket.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I got quoted $700 for a new timing chain on my hemi. I'd jump at $250.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wife took her 05 Pt Looser to get a timing belt after it stalled (thankfully as soon as she pulled into the parking space).

$900 at a Dealership

I'm sure at least $800 of that was labor.....
Plus a $70 tow to get it to the dealership just a few miles away

She had 2 sensors go out on it a year later making it drive terrible. I did some research and found the sensors I needed. Fairly easy install.

Before I could order the 2 sensors ($50 shipped), she had already taken it to a dealership (different from above).
$500 fix
And yes, it was just the sensors that needed to be replaced...
View Quote

Working on PT Cruisers is a bitch, you have to take the whole damn thing apart to get at anything in the engine compartment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Well it took my whole weekend but got it done. The kit was less than 200 and went ahead and replaced the serpentine belt too. What a pain in the butt. You pretty much have to dismantle the front of the engine to do it, alternator, ps pump,ac all has to come off along with the radiator. Glad my Chevy has a chain and not a belt

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top